HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colton Orr

Old
03-16-2007, 05:24 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Didn't say some toughness shouldn't be dressed..Just that I'm disagreeing with you that the fighting is heating up as the PO race heats up...That is rarely the case..It's about team toughness right now, not fighting..Again, ONE fight in our last 8 games and, Hell, there were two fights last night on a busy schedule, one with Jaime Lundmark and one with Matt Bradley..
This week they've certainly lightened...but boy the last 2-3 weeks were insane

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:57 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

How about that right hand?

Old
03-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

he finally looks like a borderline 4th line player...his punch of fedorouk was great...it's gotta be tough to knockout a guy with two plates in his face....

has orr improved?

yes

Does he have a role?

yes

should he dress when all our players are healthy?

no..

When the Rangers are playing teams that need the games AS BADLY as the Rangers do Orrs role..the role of the goon is diminshed...

It's nice to see his improvement but it's really no big deal..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
he finally looks like a borderline 4th line player...his punch of fedorouk was great...it's gotta be tough to knockout a guy with two plates in his face.....
Shouldnt it be easy to knock a guy out with a plate in his face and a prior concussion just months earlier?

Fedoruk is crazy for getting into that fight, he never had a chance...

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
he finally looks like a borderline 4th line player...his punch of fedorouk was great...it's gotta be tough to knockout a guy with two plates in his face....

has orr improved?

yes

Does he have a role?

yes

no..

When the Rangers are playing teams that need the games AS BADLY as the Rangers do Orrs role..the role of the goon is diminshed...

he absolutely needs to dress in every game. The players are different when he's in the lineup.

Also, now that everyone in the league has seen that punch, they may think twice about running around trying to kill people while he is around.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In the beginning of the fight it looked like Fridge just wanted to tie Orr up. Fridge's head was buried in Orr's shoulder. And then either Orr got loose or Fridge said, what the heck let's see what happens. After that, is was all Orr...

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Pielsman

Orr

B's fan here. Saw Orr last season as a Bruin "break" Roys face (broken orbital bone ?) and in 2 other fights he broke someones nose and I think another orbital bone in yet another player.

His punching power looks pretty scary.

Pielsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
NYROrtsFan

Had the same feeling.. All of these tough guys knew of Orr's power before the Fedoruk fight.

Looked like Fedoruk was just trying to keep everything in close because he knew of Orr's power. Unfortunately, it didnt work out and then he just tried to see what he could do.

Orr, Hollweg, and Betts have been playing against top lines for the last bunch of weeks and have ended up shutting them down for the most part. not too bad. but he should and probably will be out when everyone is back and healthy.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Had the same feeling.. All of these tough guys knew of Orr's power before the Fedoruk fight.

Looked like Fedoruk was just trying to keep everything in close because he knew of Orr's power. Unfortunately, it didnt work out and then he just tried to see what he could do.

Orr, Hollweg, and Betts have been playing against top lines for the last bunch of weeks and have ended up shutting them down for the most part. not too bad. but he should and probably will be out when everyone is back and healthy.
Why sit ORR??????????

Sit Isbister...he's worthless!!!!!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
NYROrtsFan

Definitely Isbister is the first to sit.

But when Hossa comes back they have to sit one more... From that point, it is basically a choice between Ortmeyer and Orr in my opinion. Playoff time, Ortmeyer presents much more value than Orr.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:14 PM
NJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Why sit ORR??????????

Sit Isbister...he's worthless!!!!!

seriously...everytime i hear sam nosen say Isbister. This sentence usually follows "shoots.....but wide to the net"

NJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
BigE

For an enforcer to make a contribution to any team three things must be present:

1.) He's got to have some semblance of fighting presence/ability.

2.) He cannot be an overwhelming liability on the ice.

3.) The coaching staff must be competent enough to use him properly.

Colton has shown that he can be a presence, and that when used properly, not a liability to this team. For the most part, I believe Tom is learning how to use Colton effectively - not just in terms of minutes and game situations, but lineup insertions and removals. There is a time and a place for any enforcer and Rangers brass seem to be learning how and when to use theirs.

As I stated earlier in the thread having a capable enforcer that isn't a liability (and even going one further creates energy through his forecheck) is an asset to the team not only in confidence but in terms of stamina. If you've got a guy that can play 4-8 ES minutes a game, that's 4-8 ES minutes a game that Renney isn't tempted to overuse Shanny or Jagr, and 4-8 ES minutes over many games adds up when you get to the playoffs.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Definitely Isbister is the first to sit.

But when Hossa comes back they have to sit one more... From that point, it is basically a choice between Ortmeyer and Orr in my opinion. Playoff time, Ortmeyer presents much more value than Orr.
100% agreed and I am Orr's biggest fan on this board.The only way you play Orr is if you play Devils with Janssen and it is game 1 or 2 or Sabres dress Peters

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Paulie Walnuts

Quote:
Shouldnt it be easy to knock a guy out with a plate in his face and a prior concussion just months earlier?

It's not like it was his first fight back from his injury. Last night was his 6th fight since coming back from injury. By all acounts he was healed and considered "fight ready". Your trying to make it sound like he returned from injury yesterday and this was his first tussle in months.

Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It's not like it was his first fight back from his injury. Last night was his 6th fight since coming back from injury. By all acounts he was healed and considered "fight ready". Your trying to make it sound like he returned from injury yesterday and this was his first tussle in months.
Did he fight someone comparable to Orr? To me, not every fighter is in the same league as Orr, Laraque, Brashear, etc. If he's gonna throw down he should be more selective.....obviously.

Ok, I looked it up...
He fought: Peters, Simon, Semenov, Andre Roy, Gleason.

Simon is the only guy i'd call a legit heavyweight there. Was that a full on brawl?

Old
03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Did he fight someone comparable to Orr? To me, not every fighter is in the same league as Orr, Laraque, Brashear, etc. If he's gonna throw down he should be more selective.....obviously.

Ok, I looked it up...

Simon is the only guy i'd call a legit heavyweight there. Was that a full on brawl?
Andrew Peters is a top 10 guy who has beaten Brashear, McGratten all top 5 guys. Andre Roy has also beaten Brashear this year and we all know Simon. Fedoruk knew what he was getting into and he was one of the toughest enforcers around but now for obvious reasons isnt.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
Andrew Peters is a top 10 guy who has beaten Brashear, McGratten all top 5 guys. Andre Roy has also beaten Brashear this year and we all know Simon. Fedoruk knew what he was getting into and he was one of the toughest enforcers around but now for obvious reasons isnt.
Ok, i'll buy that. Still, he looked like a novice fighter in that scrap and i'm shocked none of those other guys couldnt bring him down with the injuries he received in 06.

Old
03-22-2007, 04:25 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

has orr improved?

yes

Does he have a role?

yes

no..

Amazing...I guess I gotta post because it really is a moment when two of us agree. I couldn't have said it better...but I wouldn't call him a goon....

Old
03-22-2007, 04:27 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

That's the one reason why I'd be hesitant to sit Orr. Then again...Hossa was playing so well...but if he's back in the playoffs...isn't it gonna take him time to get back to his normal self? And to be honest....if it is...then maybe it's safer playing Orr not just because of how well he's played but how his whole line and the whole team has played

Old
03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

Ok, I looked it up...

Well guess what? His fight with Peters and Roy was nothing but a wrestling match. He lost badly to Gleason and Simon nearly knocked him out. Semenov was a draw...and that's not good for the real Fridge

Old
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
BwayBshirt

the one thing we can all agree on, it's that orr isn't playoff material because there just is little to no fighting at that time and he's not yet a regular. he's still a special case only enforcer (i.e. flyers, devils, islanders, leafs, sabres, etc.)

but seriously, i'd hold on to him. i still see some potential for more. how much more i don't know, but definitely more.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Well guess what? His fight with Peters and Roy was nothing but a wrestling match. He lost badly to Gleason and Simon nearly knocked him out. Semenov was a draw...and that's not good for the real Fridge
Its hard to stop someone from doing what they do/did best, but I hope someone was at least trying to get him to stop fighting, at least for this season. Unfortunate....

Old
03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
pyattrocks*

Listening to Mike and the Dog, they as usual are completely ignorant on hockey.

The enforcer in hockey is like baseball contracts. What happens is you have a few owners who's team stink so they put out some goons to get a few fans. Then what happens is it forcers every other team to carry an enforcer. Like baseball contracts, when one or two dumb owners hand out a stupid contract, all the owners are forced to hand out dumb contracts if they want to compete unless they have a tremendous farm system.

Second, what happened the previous game between the Flyers and Rangers is what happens when one team just wants to play hockey. Jagr almost got his head taken off. We have seen many players who get hit with a cheap check and don't play for a long time. If ever again. If you remember back to that dope Brashear running around as usual taking cheap shots at the Rangers. Orr went out and cross checked Ovechkin in the head. The next 16 games Brashear had one fight. You can bet his team told him to knock that garbage off for a while because they didn't want their stars to get drilled.

pyattrocks* is offline   Reply With Quote