HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Foulke puts on sox

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
OT: Foulke puts on sox

Bad news.... Theo Epstein just brought in Keith Foulke.

I dont know about the rest of you but it looks to me like Boston is finally getting the idea here. In the playoffs you will see Schilling and Pedro at least twice. With a steady closer like Foulke, its going to be alot tougher on those late game come backs.

Had the Sox had Foulke last year then we might be sitting here talking about the world championship they had won. If Little had a guy like him in the bullpen then I doubt you see Pedro out there that long.

Time for the Yankees to make a move

We lose: Pettite, Clemens, Nick Johnson
We get: Vazquez, Brown, a questionable Lieber, Gordon

Sox lose: Fossum
Sox get: Schilling, Kieth Foulke

Assuming we could have easily lost last year this is going to be a really tough division and playoff.

Old
12-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather

EVIL EMPIRE IS FALLING!!

-Yankee Hater, Mets Fan.

(wish mets coulda snagged foukle)

Old
12-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21

EVIL EMPIRE IS FALLING!!

-Yankee Hater, Mets Fan.

(wish mets coulda snagged foukle)

The Mets should bring back Benitez!!!!

Old
12-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
The Mets should bring back Benitez!!!!
Dont even make me comprehend that thought

Old
12-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Barnaby

Mets should have signed Miguel Batista. He would have been a fine #2-#3 pitcher. Plus, he's pitched well in the playoffs so pressure probably wont bother him. Besides that the Mets need a CF-RF-closer, and like I said, a solid starter.

Old
12-13-2003, 10:49 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
Mets should have signed Miguel Batista. He would have been a fine #2-#3 pitcher. Plus, he's pitched well in the playoffs so pressure probably wont bother him. Besides that the Mets need a CF-RF-closer, and like I said, a solid starter.
Mets definately need a starter. As it stands right now, Leiter, Trachsel, and Glavine are their top 3. Theyre all big question marks, and on a team that has any thoughts of going to the World Series, they would be nothing more than #3 starters. Problem is theres not much out there. Millwood is sort of young and has a great arm, but he's the type of gamble who usually doesnt work out for the Mets. Jason Marquis (who was traded for JD Drew today) wouldve been a good addition being that he's from Staten Island and is on the verge of breaking out, but it would take something to get him (perhaps Phillips +). So I think its possible we see Duquette make a deal to pick up a starter. Nothing major, just some guy who can add depth.

Looks like theres a good chance Cameron will sign with the Mets, so theyre very solid up the middle. Question is, how will he hit? Will he flourish and put up near .300 type numbers and 80-something RBI's or will he be the next Cedeno?

Another Mets question to think about...If Piazza does in fact gradually become a 1st baseman, how do you get Phillips' bat in the lineup every day?

Old
12-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

yeah the mets had a shot at foulke but than they then foulke realized it was the mets. the mets are a joke of a franchise with a fan base much like boston obsessed with the yankees but has a hard time beating them.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:36 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
yeah the mets had a shot at foulke but than they then foulke realized it was the mets. the mets are a joke of a franchise with a fan base much like boston obsessed with the yankees but has a hard time beating them.
we're alot prouder than half the league, at least we try to win, have a couple world series titles. i wouldn't call them the cream of the crop but they are definetly not a joke.

Old
12-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter
we're alot prouder than half the league, at least we try to win, have a couple world series titles. i wouldn't call them the cream of the crop but they are definetly not a joke.
I dont mind the Mets, like the Rangers they have just had very poor managemnet over the last X amount of years. It all started when they replaced Olerud with Zeile and let Hampton walk without an adequate replacement.

Old
12-14-2003, 02:21 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
I dont mind the Mets, like the Rangers they have just had very poor managemnet over the last X amount of years. It all started when they replaced Olerud with Zeile and let Hampton walk without an adequate replacement.
Agreed both have had poor management, but at least the Mets are showing that they've learned from their mistakes. They're getting rid of sore spots (Alomar, Vaughn, Benitez, etc.), implementing youth and trying to build their team around the ballpark: pitching and defense. The Rangers OTOH, after failing miserably with the Fleurys and Kamenskys and Ulanovs, continue to plug square pegs in round holes and refuse to acknowledge the fact that they should've started over with youth years ago.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:45 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21

EVIL EMPIRE IS FALLING!!
Kind of hard to fail when you make the playoffs every year. And before you get all giddy about Foulke helping the Sox beat the Yanks, please recall that 2 years ago with Chicago, Foulke was abonominable. And last year choked in a big spot 3 games in a row. A's were up 2 games to none in the playoffs, and Foulke could not hold a lead in ANY of the next 3 games. So maybe the hanclap's should be put up by Yankee fans as the Sox manage to get yet another closer who chokes under any type of pressure.

Closed Thread