HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backstrom offically the #1 goalie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2007, 05:24 PM
  #26
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
which 3-4 teams?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
  #27
vitogor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
which 3-4 teams?
Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, LA, Detroit are all *possibly* going to look for a #1 goalie.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:47 PM
  #28
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
Phoenix, Florida, Tampa, LA, Detroit are all *possibly* going to look for a #1 goalie.
Tampa is rumored to be wanting to cut salary (which means also dumping one of their high price players)...

LA, unless we take on Cloutier's salary, no way.

Detroit seems fine with Osgood and someone like Howard or Liv in goal. They have to develop one of their goaltenders sometime.

Florida and Phoenix possibly but I think they might look at Toskala, who is cheaper...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:14 PM
  #29
Chrisd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
manny will be easy to trade....easy...jot it down..no matter what some monday morning qb's here say.

EASY...

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:31 PM
  #30
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
manny will be easy to trade....easy...jot it down..no matter what some monday morning qb's here say.

EASY...
His contract and his play say otherwise...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 01:18 AM
  #31
Chrisd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
his play is stellar...always a .915+ threat and his pay is not ridiculous for starting goalie standards..

Wild will no problem at all moving him if they want to...check back with me in the summer....and don't spin it somehow when they do move him.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:15 AM
  #32
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Actually it is. 4.33 million dollar cap hit is big...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:41 AM
  #33
vitogor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Tampa is rumored to be wanting to cut salary (which means also dumping one of their high price players)...

LA, unless we take on Cloutier's salary, no way.

Detroit seems fine with Osgood and someone like Howard or Liv in goal. They have to develop one of their goaltenders sometime.

Florida and Phoenix possibly but I think they might look at Toskala, who is cheaper...
Tampa is a reach on this list, I agree - they do have Denis, though he has struggled. And they do have some salary desicions to make. They might just resign Holmqvist.

LA has a goaltending mess, and it's really hard to say what they are going to do about it. Maybe they'll buy out Cloutier? It's not like they are going anywhere special next season by the looks of it. I think they *might* be looking for a goalie, so I'll leave them on the list.

Detroit has a tremendous pressure to win every season, I'm not sure how comfortable they will be with a Osgood/kid tandem. I bet they will go hard after Guiguere, having Babcock as a coach and all.

Florida and Phoenix will definitely look for a goalie. Toskala is nice, but he will also be a lot more expensive to get. And it's not a guarantee that the Sharks will want to move him in the summer, their tandem seems to work well for them. Fla and Pho will also try to go after Guiguere I think, and it will be up to Risebrough to try and convince one of these GM's to take Fernandez, instead of possibly losing on the JSG sweepstakes and ending up with nothing.

Then there's also Philly, they only have Niittymaki under contract for next year, and he struggled this season. Who knows what they are going to do. I bet they'd love to get their hands on Backstrom to help Niitty along. But maybe they'll be interested in Manny as well?

So the market is there - it's not a huge market, but still. If we do trade Manny, I think Florida and Phoenix are the most likely destinations. There won't be a line of GM's outside Riser's door, so he'll have to do a lot of talking, a lot of selling, and a lot of convincing. He'll have to find out who is in on the Giggy sweepstakes, and go hard after those GM's.

It's all just speculation at this point, we might just stand pat. Let Backstrom walk, and have Manny and Josh battle it out. Not the worst scenario either.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:50 AM
  #34
Chrisd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
4.33 is nothing to pay for your goalie ( the most important position in hockey) especially for a quality one like him, and also the cap is going up so that will even seem like less.

His contract is EASILY moveable.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:27 AM
  #35
BADger
Registered User
 
BADger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
Then there's also Philly, they only have Niittymaki under contract for next year, and he struggled this season. Who knows what they are going to do. I bet they'd love to get their hands on Backstrom to help Niitty along. But maybe they'll be interested in Manny as well?
Nitty isnt under contract next season, he is RFA though.

BADger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:00 AM
  #36
Chrisd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
btw to the guy who said something about the Giguere sweepstakes...

Ducks will keep giguere without a doubt...if they move anyone it's gonna be ilya bryz....

NO question about it...giguere is 10x better.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 11:33 AM
  #37
Aquiace
The Goggles!
 
Aquiace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in VanCity
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
You Minnesota fans are fortunate to have discovered a gem like Backstrom. I'm actually surprised it took this long for him to get the official #1.

I always thought Fernandez was overrated.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:52 PM
  #38
The Big E
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Pretty much everybody thinks Manny is overrated. Its mainly due to the Wild getting little to no media exposure. I'm just surprised that we've got Minnie fans who question his worth and ability. Similarly, the Oiler fans, despite facing Roloson in the NW Div, had TONS of questions about him. Many fans across the continent wondered if Rollie was any good and questioned Kevin Lowe's making the deal for him. We knew in MN. Just like we know that Manny is a good NHL goalie. He'll keep a team in games they shouldn't be in. Considering that he's a very experienced goalie, youngish (32), and not all that expensive ($4M ain't bad), I think that Risebrough will be able to deal him.

Considering that the Wild aren't in desperate need this coming summer, DR might just trade him for prospects and/or picks. Why not trade for '08 or '09 draft picks? We need to continue to build the organization in anticipation of having cap problems when we have to sign Butch and Mikko Mouse to large contracts. We'll need some young players to fill roles that might in a non-cap situation go to a more expensive vet.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:41 PM
  #39
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
Tampa is a reach on this list, I agree - they do have Denis, though he has struggled. And they do have some salary desicions to make. They might just resign Holmqvist.

LA has a goaltending mess, and it's really hard to say what they are going to do about it. Maybe they'll buy out Cloutier? It's not like they are going anywhere special next season by the looks of it. I think they *might* be looking for a goalie, so I'll leave them on the list.

Detroit has a tremendous pressure to win every season, I'm not sure how comfortable they will be with a Osgood/kid tandem. I bet they will go hard after Guiguere, having Babcock as a coach and all.

Florida and Phoenix will definitely look for a goalie. Toskala is nice, but he will also be a lot more expensive to get. And it's not a guarantee that the Sharks will want to move him in the summer, their tandem seems to work well for them. Fla and Pho will also try to go after Guiguere I think, and it will be up to Risebrough to try and convince one of these GM's to take Fernandez, instead of possibly losing on the JSG sweepstakes and ending up with nothing.

Then there's also Philly, they only have Niittymaki under contract for next year, and he struggled this season. Who knows what they are going to do. I bet they'd love to get their hands on Backstrom to help Niitty along. But maybe they'll be interested in Manny as well?

So the market is there - it's not a huge market, but still. If we do trade Manny, I think Florida and Phoenix are the most likely destinations. There won't be a line of GM's outside Riser's door, so he'll have to do a lot of talking, a lot of selling, and a lot of convincing. He'll have to find out who is in on the Giggy sweepstakes, and go hard after those GM's.

It's all just speculation at this point, we might just stand pat. Let Backstrom walk, and have Manny and Josh battle it out. Not the worst scenario either.
Can you buy out players? If so, why didn't New Jersey buy out a few of theres?

Tampa Bay is rumored to be cutting salary, and they have a bunch of guys to re-sign.

LA, as I said, can they buy out players? Cloutier is a 3 million dollar cap hit (funny)...And they won't add Fernandez to it.

Detroit is under pressure to win a lot but they will always find a way. Howard isn't THAT bad and Osgood is serviceable.

Didn't Phoenix earlier in the season want a younger goaltender? And didn't they just re-sign Tellqvist?

Philly and Biron are talking...

BTW, the GMs also can see that DR might be a little desperate to move a goaltender and we end up giving something to get something.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
  #40
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
4.33 is nothing to pay for your goalie ( the most important position in hockey) especially for a quality one like him, and also the cap is going up so that will even seem like less.

His contract is EASILY moveable.
Actually it is...4.33 is a LOT of money. I think he's in the top 10 for goaltenders? Giguere might make more than him this offseason but he's deserved it. Cap raise isn't going to be huge and a 4.33 contract might swallow the raise. We're already inching toward 50 million dollars, which is a lot.

Fernandez's contract length is a bit long too...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
  #41
aylib
User and abuser
 
aylib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stale ol' Hockey
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Overrated.

Streaky (shines for a month, then goes into terrible slumps).
Moody.
Limited playoff experience (3 wins, 11 games).
Less than 300 NHL games.
Unproven at 32.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:03 PM
  #42
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
Can you buy out players? If so, why didn't New Jersey buy out a few of theres?

Tampa Bay is rumored to be cutting salary, and they have a bunch of guys to re-sign.

LA, as I said, can they buy out players? Cloutier is a 3 million dollar cap hit (funny)...And they won't add Fernandez to it.

Detroit is under pressure to win a lot but they will always find a way. Howard isn't THAT bad and Osgood is serviceable.

Didn't Phoenix earlier in the season want a younger goaltender? And didn't they just re-sign Tellqvist?

Philly and Biron are talking...

BTW, the GMs also can see that DR might be a little desperate to move a goaltender and we end up giving something to get something.
I don't think DR is desperate at all. Cap's going up. Teams will have room. Players can be bought out but you take a cap hit. Cap is the only thing I could see causing a problem if DR wants to move Manny. That and not wanting to move him for too little. I think Fernandez rehabs and Backstrom walks as a UFA.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
  #43
evilgenius
Registered User
 
evilgenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to evilgenius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
btw to the guy who said something about the Giguere sweepstakes...

Ducks will keep giguere without a doubt...if they move anyone it's gonna be ilya bryz....

NO question about it...giguere is 10x better.

That doesn't say a whole lot for Bryzgalov....

LA was dumb enough to sign Cloutier, there has to be some team out there that will take Fernandez. I feel like the cap going up is only going to help us get rid of Fernandez.

evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
  #44
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Tampa Bay has a LOT of players to re-sign and the cap space (which should only be around 4 million) won't help out in their situation...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:15 PM
  #45
hoppy
EK65
 
hoppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to hoppy
Picking up Backstrom in my pool is looking better and better everyday
Perfect timing for Ward to go down!

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM
  #46
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,746
vCash: 500
Fernandez done for the season...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
  #47
Wild Thing
Registered User
 
Wild Thing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Dark Side
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,577
vCash: 500
Regular season. He's expected to be ready for the playoffs, for whatever that's worth.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
  #48
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Interesting comment from "Becky" over on Russo's blog:
Quote:
On a different note, heard a speech by Doug Risebrough last night. Lots of interesting stuff. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to make many changes this summer. He also wants to stay enough below the cap to allow some flexibility if we have to deal with bringing players up to fill in for those with injuries. He said Nik has the best agent in the business and that he had other options besides the Wild last summer where he could have played more. DR thinks he chose the Wild because we have a strong defense system that allows goalies to not have to stand on their heads 60 minutes each game and that a system like ours would allow Backstrom the chance to ease into the NHL more comfortably than somewhere else. DR did say Backstrom will be able to go wherever he wants at the end of the season. He also reconfirmed the Wild’s commitment to Manny, Bouchard, Burns and Koivu.

He said NEXT year would be an interesting time because so many players’ contracts are up. The great thing for us is players WANT to come to MN because hockey is highly valued here, the Wild’s a strong team with JL at the helm and the TC are a great place to live. That’s why we had so much frantic activity right out of the chute last July. Players knew they better commit fast to the Wild or the Wild would move on to others.
I read that as Backstrom walks as a UFA unless he wants to sign with us for backup money. I don't think we want to keep Harding in the AHL for another year, either.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:30 PM
  #49
oh_canuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Regular season. He's expected to be ready for the playoffs, for whatever that's worth.
I hadnt heard this do you have a link to confirm?

If so would you all think this might mean Nick might play the rest of the games I dont think the wild have any back to back games left.

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:23 PM
  #50
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Lemaire said today that Harding will start vs. FLA, although he also said he might change his mind.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.