HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tapered Shaft vs. Regular

Old
03-07-2007, 12:54 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Tapered Shaft vs. Regular

What do you guys think?

I'm going to be buying a shaft and blade combo for the summer league I'm going to play in. I'm a 6'1" 185lbs. defenceman who takes a lot of slap-shots.

Any specific benefits for me with the tapered over the standard? One significant negative is that the tapers do not seem to come in 110 flex around here...they sold out of the last Synergy 2's that were 110 and aren't getting any anymore because Easton quit making them. The Dolomite also doesn't come in 110 anymore. I really don't know why they refuse to make a stiff stick these days. I use to use a 120!

Basically I can go with an Easton Ultra-lite grip 110, a Warrior AK-27 100, or a Synergy 2 100 from what I've found.

Any thoughts?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I also play D in beer league and I prefer a sturdy tank like stick over the latest and greatest tapered/low kickpoint kind of stuff. I use a Bauer Endure with its reinforced shaft because I do a lot of mostly legal stickwork.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

can't go wrong with the ak27

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
I also play D in beer league and I prefer a sturdy tank like stick over the latest and greatest tapered/low kickpoint kind of stuff. I use a Bauer Endure with its reinforced shaft because I do a lot of mostly legal stickwork.
Non-contact competitive summer league for me. I need to be a shooter.

Old
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Grave77digger

You should check out the TPS Shaft thead below. $40 dollar stiff TPS shafts and $12 TPS Crossfire blades with the code from hockey giant

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Most people can't tell the difference between tapered and standard when using them unless you are a realllly good shooter. Then maybe you could tell the difference between the releases...and also be able to make good use of it. With your choices you listed, can't go wrong with AK or UL.

Hook--is that Endure really holding up that well, cause from all I've seen and heard, it's really more of a marketing ploy. Durability is general about the same as most other sticks.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Most people can't tell the difference between tapered and standard when using them unless you are a realllly good shooter. Then maybe you could tell the difference between the releases...and also be able to make good use of it. With your choices you listed, can't go wrong with AK or UL.
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I MIGHT notice a bit more whip on my slapper, though if I can't get a taper in 110 flex it might be a moot point anyway.

I'll probably go with the UL, just because of flex. Any idea if the Warriors play stiffer than the Eastons?

Old
03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Tbone54

Tapered Shafts can be annoying when looking for a new blade.... thats what i have found anyways...

Most online stores, dont specify which they stock... or have a real limited range of tapered.

Tbone54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneCoyote View Post
Tapered Shafts can be annoying when looking for a new blade.... thats what i have found anyways...

Most online stores, dont specify which they stock... or have a real limited range of tapered.
We have a couple really well-stocked places here in Edmonton, no worries on that front.

Old
03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Well-stocked but more costly if your on a budget. I wouldn't be using tapered or OPS if I wasn't able to get my hands on good deals and prostock like I have recently. Once they break though, I'm probably going back to standard just cause it's a bit cheaper.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post

Hook--is that Endure really holding up that well, cause from all I've seen and heard, it's really more of a marketing ploy. Durability is general about the same as most other sticks.

It's holding up well. I have a ton of cosmetic scratches from various hackwork, but it's still going strong and I bought another Endure shaft for use as a backup. Somebody coming from a higher end shaft history may not like it for whatever reason, but for my game and my needs it works for me.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaberlefan15 View Post
can't go wrong with the ak27
I got this, but I have the grip version . I hate the grip so much I wish I could take it off. I usually use my Easton Ultra-Lite because of that with a Kovalev Innovative blade which are becoming so hard to find now since everything is Warrior now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote