HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Cammy should get an "A" next season

View Poll Results: Should Squid get an "A" next season?
Yep! 55 87.30%
Nope! 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2007, 02:38 PM
  #26
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings
 
JPFT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country:
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
My original statement: "In addition to being our top point-getter, the guy's intelligent, vocal, feisty, worked his way up after doing his time in the minors, plays bigger than he is and has a burning passion for winning."

Frolov is an immense talent, but - like Lubo - I just don't see him having the right kind of personality for an official leadership position on the team; Cammy does, in my opinion.

errr...don't know what you mean with it, but...personality isn't the same as being vocal , Frolov and Lubo have great personalities. i think, at least Lubo is very well respected in the team, and he would make a good leader, I agree that Fro and Lubo are not as vocal as Cammy, but i think they would be good leaders.................

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
  #27
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
On a flipside to that. I think everyone said the same thing about Norstrom too. He never seemed vocal in public or on the ice, more often than not he was soft spoken, etc etc.
Frolov doesn't exactly lead by example, though...I wouldn't ascribe him the "warrior" moniker that earned Matty so much respect...

I do support, however, as I've mentioned in the past, giving an A to Lubo as I think that the lunchpale approach he takes to the game despite the fact that he's a star player is something that all of the young skilled players coming up through the ranks should aspire to. But, again, I wouldn't lump Fro in that category. And I believe Cammy is suited for an A for an entirely different reason, also.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:47 PM
  #28
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
i think there is more to it than being a good offensive player.

Take for instance a guy like Lappy. He wore the A for years but was never that good offensively.

It doesnt matter what your job is, scoring, fighting, defense, PK. If that is your job and you give it 110% every game, every shift then you are a leader who deserves to wear a letter.
Sounds like Tom Kostopoulos should be a captain.


Last edited by RonSwanson*: 03-13-2007 at 02:57 PM.
RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
  #29
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Sounds like Tom Kostopolous should be a captain.
I heard from Daryl Evans' mouth himself that TK has been discussed as a potential captain next season.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
  #30
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,368
vCash: 500
I say yes.
This is way off topic, but I wish the guy would show some damn emotion after he scores a goal. It just bugs me that he just acts like it's a "ho-hum" thing that he just scored a goal.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
  #31
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Frolov doesn't exactly lead by example, though...I wouldn't ascribe him the "warrior" moniker that earned Matty so much respect...
True dat.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
  #32
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,868
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I heard from Daryl Evans' mouth himself that TK has been discussed as a potential captain next season.
He will be the Chris Clark of the Los Angeles Kings.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 03:15 PM
  #33
wabwat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: pasadena, ca.
Posts: 6,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I heard from Daryl Evans' mouth himself that TK has been discussed as a potential captain next season.

there would be no way that i would object to that...hell, i could even see Derek Armstrong becoming the captain next season as well.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
  #34
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I heard from Daryl Evans' mouth himself that TK has been discussed as a potential captain next season.
He was pretty highly-regarded in the Pens minor league organization. I guess it's possible he could don the C next season.

With that being said, Blake will be the captain...DL brought him in for a purpose and regardless of the way we might feel about Rob, I think Dean sees him as the leader in LA.

Personally, I don't mind Blake getting it...when it comes right down to it, there really aren't any better candidates.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:06 PM
  #35
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,874
vCash: 500
I'm sure Kostopoulos could be a candidate for a letter, but it won't be the 'C'. Glad to hear that the Kings think highly of him and that they will attempt to retain him. He's one of the unsung heroes on the team that always shows up to play and sets a standard in effort for the rest of the players to follow.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:06 PM
  #36
Brodie562
Registered User
 
Brodie562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: LBC
Country: United States
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I say yes.
This is way off topic, but I wish the guy would show some damn emotion after he scores a goal. It just bugs me that he just acts like it's a "ho-hum" thing that he just scored a goal.
I want to see that emotion when his goals mean something. When the team is fighting for playoff position, in the playoffs (hopefully next year).

As for the "A" :

http://www.letsgokings.com/gallery/files/1/IMG_3862.jpg


Last edited by Brodie562: 03-13-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
  #37
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I say yes.
This is way off topic, but I wish the guy would show some damn emotion after he scores a goal. It just bugs me that he just acts like it's a "ho-hum" thing that he just scored a goal.
Cammy used to be very animated when he scored...maybe it's just gotten old?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:18 PM
  #38
jeffreyaa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GutFest '89
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm sure Kostopoulos could be a candidate for a letter, but it won't be the 'C'. Glad to hear that the Kings think highly of him and that they will attempt to retain him. He's one of the unsung heroes on the team that always shows up to play and sets a standard in effort for the rest of the players to follow.
Agree 100%. I'd love to see Tommy K get Thornton's A. Another relatively young guy who worked his way up through the minors- these are good role models for the kids we've got coming in.

Anyone who thinks Blake isn't getting the C, though, is kidding themselves. Forget what we all think [I happen to think he's the right choice, anyway]; what do DL and MC think? It'll be Rob.

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 04:24 PM
  #39
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Cammy used to be very animated when he scored...maybe it's just gotten old?
I think at some point you look at the scoreboard and realize that at that moment, it isn't the time to gloat and rub an upset team the wrong way to cause them to start taking runs.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 05:02 PM
  #40
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think at some point you look at the scoreboard and realize that at that moment, it isn't the time to gloat and rub an upset team the wrong way to cause them to start taking runs.
I got the impression the poster was referring to his demeanor in general...from that perspective, I think he has toned it down a bit.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:13 PM
  #41
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Guys, guys, guys... a team can have only 3 "captains" at a time, not 5, as the original post suggested. This means 1 'C' and 2 'A's most of the time (or 3 'A's when there's no 'C', like the Kings right now). Blake will be Captain next year, so that leaves two Alternate positions open. I'm sure that one will go to Miller. I would support Cammalleri getting the other, providing that he signs a long-term deal this Summer.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:21 PM
  #42
jeffreyaa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GutFest '89
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Guys, guys, guys... a team can have only 3 "captains" at a time, not 5, as the original post suggested. This means 1 'C' and 2 'A's most of the time (or 3 'A's when there's no 'C', like the Kings right now). Blake will be Captain next year, so that leaves two Alternate positions open. I'm sure that one will go to Miller. I would support Cammalleri getting the other, providing that he signs a long-term deal this Summer.
They've usually been doing 1 captain, 2 home alternates and 2 away alternates- otherwise how would Matty have the C but Blake, Miller, Conroy and Thornton all wear A's [not in the same game, obviously]?

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
  #43
Melody
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
Agree 100%. I'd love to see Tommy K get Thornton's A. Another relatively young guy who worked his way up through the minors- these are good role models for the kids we've got coming in.

Anyone who thinks Blake isn't getting the C, though, is kidding themselves. Forget what we all think [I happen to think he's the right choice, anyway]; what do DL and MC think? It'll be Rob.

If the kings get it right they will bring up some players for good next year and the team will be able to balance out the leadership roles to have a few different types of players leading the team.
ie Sully, Jackman, and Labs

Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:35 PM
  #44
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
This is way off topic, but I wish the guy would show some damn emotion after he scores a goal. It just bugs me that he just acts like it's a "ho-hum" thing that he just scored a goal.
The initial thrill of scoring for scoring's sake is over. He wants to win. He wants something to play for. Why should he get excited about scoring when the team is terrible and out of playoff contention? He's only 24 and he's already tired of losing. Winning and the playoffs are all that matter to him. I see this as a sign of maturity.

In fact, I don't think that this was off-topic of you at all, since it's exactly one of the reasons why I think that it may be about time for him to become an alternate captain. If, with the team stinking, he were cheering like a little girl after every goal, still, I'd have greater concern about his true focus and level of maturity. Wait until the Kings are jockeying for playoff position and are in the playoffs, and I think that you'll see a more excited Cammalleri. Afterall, some of the great leaders in the game(ex. Yzerman, Sakic, Hull) were remarkably reserved in the regular season, but became little girls in the playoffs (ex. that oft-played clip of Yzerman jumping up and down after scoring an OT winner, or Hull after the Cup-winning Stars goal).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:39 PM
  #45
jeffreyaa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GutFest '89
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
The initial thrill of scoring for scoring's sake is over. He wants to win. He wants something to play for. Why should he get excited about scoring when the team is terrible and out of playoff contention? He's only 24 and he's already tired of losing. Winning and the playoffs are all that matter to him. I see this as a sign of maturity.

In fact, I don't think that this was off-topic of you at all, since it's exactly one of the reasons why I think that it may be about time for him to become an alternate captain. If, with the team stinking, he were cheering like a little girl after every goal, still, I'd have greater concern about his true focus and level of maturity. Wait until the Kings are jockeying for playoff position and are in the playoffs, and I think that you'll see a more excited Cammalleri. Afterall, some of the great leaders in the game(ex. Yzerman, Sakic, Hull) were remarkably reserved in the regular season, but became little girls in the playoffs (ex. that oft-played clip of Yzerman jumping up and down after scoring an OT winner, or Hull after the Cup-winning Stars goal).
Agree 100%!

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 07:44 PM
  #46
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyaa View Post
They've usually been doing 1 captain, 2 home alternates and 2 away alternates- otherwise how would Matty have the C but Blake, Miller, Conroy and Thornton all wear A's [not in the same game, obviously]?
Ok, I see what you mean now. Who knows if they'll go with that again next season, though. There's just something about that arrangement that doesn't sit too well with me (same with having 3 alternates and no captain). I'd prefer that they just go with Blake-Miller-Cammalleri full-time, but, if they must go with more, I'd add Thornton and McCauley.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:26 PM
  #47
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Honestly, I never understood Norstrom as Captain. He might be a warrior, but he was also the Captain through the longest losing streak in Kings history and not making the playoffs for 4 seasons in a row - how effective was that?

It's time to work in the new blood - Cammalleri is the front man of the new wave. He should at least get an "A"...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
  #48
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
Went with "Yep". Cammy seems hungry to win.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:25 AM
  #49
Quattro
Registered User
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'd prefer that they just go with Blake-Miller-Cammalleri full-time, but, if they must go with more, I'd add Thornton and McCauley.
Why the hell do people keep mentioning McCauley? What has he done for this team to warrant an "A"? Might as well make Val Bure an "A".

I've said it before and I know many will disagree, but I would LOVE to see Lubo rewarded with an "A". To me he epitomizes everything you want from a hockey player.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:35 AM
  #50
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 34,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS FAN77 View Post
The "C" or the "A" should not go to someone who is one of your highest scorers. Instead it should go to the players that are a leader both on the ice, and off. Kopitar will be in his 2nd season, and will be only 20 years old.( way too young to be a leader yet) Cammy & Fro..... I know they are young as well, but who else do we have. I agree with Blake having the "C".
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS FAN77 View Post
You are right-on. I agree with everything you said.
Not that I don't agree, but really, none of us know how he is in the room.

__________________
I love you all.
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.