HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nick petrecky offensive game?

Old
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Nick petrecky offensive game?

How is it? Earlier on the year people said he had zero offensive game but now he has 9goal-10assist so ? How would you compared him to mike komisarek in his draft year in 2001?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
It's coming along. He has an absolute CANNON of a shot, but he needs to work on his accuracy. I have hardly seen him play lately but from what I've heard, he's been working on his shot a lot and it's improved quite a bit.

His offensive game was always there, just now he's starting to find it.

And I think he's better... MUCH better... at the same age than Komisarek was.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
It's coming along. He has an absolute CANNON of a shot, but he needs to work on his accuracy. I have hardly seen him play lately but from what I've heard, he's been working on his shot a lot and it's improved quite a bit.

His offensive game was always there, just now he's starting to find it.

And I think he's better... MUCH better... at the same age than Komisarek was.
Honestly, why is Ellerby rated ahead of him?

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Honestly, why is Ellerby rated ahead of him?
Ellerby is a bit safer, IMO.

It's was a toss-up for me about a month or so ago, but lately Petrecki has just flat out pulled ahead and I think a good case for top 5 could be made if you wanted to do the draft today.

Old
03-13-2007, 09:10 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Top5 for petrecky? I hope not i want my habs to draft him but he will likely been gone when the habs make their 1st selection

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Top5 for petrecky? I hope not i want my habs to draft him but he will likely been gone when the habs make their 1st selection
It's Petrecki, just FYI

I think he certainly can make a case for top 5. There isn't a single defender in the entire draft with the RAW skills that Petrecki has. And now that he's beginning to put the offensive facet of his game together, teams picking high will be very, VERY tempted to take him high.

We've all known he's been super talented for a number of years now (he's been hyped for a long, long time) and he was actually starting to disappoint a lot of people.

Good for him that he's proving the critics (myself included) wrong.

Old
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I heard he has defensive lapses.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
I heard he has defensive lapses.
Every young defender does.

Old
03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

yeah but they wrote about it one of his scouting reports.. i assumed it was because it happened more often than others.

Old
03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
yeah but they wrote about it one of his scouting reports.. i assumed it was because it happened more often than others.
I think a lot of it was that he sometimes pinched at bad times. Like I said, it seems like he's really reeling in his game a lot lately. I just wish I could really watch him play any time soon.

Old
03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

well all i know is i am extremely excited for this draft as anything can happen.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
well all i know is i am extremely excited for this draft as anything can happen.
Same here. I can't wait for a lot of teams' seasons to start winding down so we can really get a good glimpse of where players are going to potentially land.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

I like Couture though. Safe and has a high ceiling, is he any way comparable to Parise?

Old
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
timlap

Petrecki interests me a lot, but I'm still not convinced about his offence. Now, to be clear, I have not been able to see him play, so I can only go on his stats (and reports from those who have seen him). His offence has certainly been picking up. But his high goal and low assist totals do make me wonder if ISS is right when they say he has a great shot but little creativity (passing/set up skills?) with the puck.

Still in intriguing guy, especially in the teens. Not sure I want the Leafs to take a guy who sounds like a bit of a project, yet his upside is tantalising.

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap View Post
Petrecki interests me a lot, but I'm still not convinced about his offence. Now, to be clear, I have not been able to see him play, so I can only go on his stats (and reports from those who have seen him). His offence has certainly been picking up. But his high goal and low assist totals do make me wonder if ISS is right when they say he has a great shot but little creativity (passing/set up skills?) with the puck.

Still in intriguing guy, especially in the teens. Not sure I want the Leafs to take a guy who sounds like a bit of a project, yet his upside is tantalising.
Still doesnt even matter, people now see how important a cannon is on the PP.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

I don't know if I'd call Petrecki a "project". He is already starting to play up to his potential. I think he puts in 2 or 3 years of college and he's NHL ready. While I don't think he can come in RIGHT now to the NHL, I don't think he's a guy who will need 2 or more years of AHL seasoning (that's really what I think of with the term project -- IE Hugh Jessiman).

Old
03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I don't know if I'd call Petrecki a "project". He is already starting to play up to his potential. I think he puts in 2 or 3 years of college and he's NHL ready. While I don't think he can come in RIGHT now to the NHL, I don't think he's a guy who will need 2 or more years of AHL seasoning (that's really what I think of with the term project -- IE Hugh Jessiman).
I can see that he's not in Jessiman territory. I guess he's also less of a project than Nigel Williams? (Who's looking pretty good right now.) I know you like Petrecki, Jon, and that does influence my opinion. I am also influenced by those who like him but not as much as you do. So I'm not sure what to believe exactly. But suffice to say he is very much on my radar for the Leafs (in the mid teens, I guess), along with a boatload of others as this is such a hard year to predict.

If you're right, the Leafs may not even get a crack at him.

Bill Sweatt is another guy that intrigues me.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I can see that he's not in Jessiman territory. I guess he's also less of a project than Nigel Williams? (Who's looking pretty good right now.) I know you like Petrecki, Jon, and that does influence my opinion. I am also influenced by those who like him but not as much as you do. So I'm not sure what to believe exactly. But suffice to say he is very much on my radar for the Leafs (in the mid teens, I guess), along with a boatload of others as this is such a hard year to predict.

If you're right, the Leafs may not even get a crack at him.

Bill Sweatt is another guy that intrigues me.
IMO, if Sweatt drops past the top 15, any team has an absolutely incredible steal in him.

I do like Petrecki, but I would still pick Alzner over him right now. I'm a bit scared by Petrecki's bust potential, as I think it's still pretty high as of now.

Old
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

I can see the ducks taking Sweatt

Old
03-14-2007, 08:10 AM
derbyfan

Has Colby Cohen of Lincoln surpassed Petricki as the top USHL d-man prospect for this draft?
I noticed NHL Central had him in the 1st for NA skaters, while Petricki was in the 2nd.
If you look at their stats (and yes, I KNOW stats don't tell the whole story) Cohen's got 49 points in 41 games. That is absolutely outstanding for a USHL defenceman.
Cohen's 6'2 200, and has shown a willingness to drop the gloves as well (I saw that he beat Petrecki in a scrap earlier this year).
Does anyone think Cohen could be one of the real suprises in the 1st round this year, and even go before Petrecki?

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Murph1844

I played against Petricki a few summers ago and you could tell he was something special. I knew I was playing him and since he just won the EJHL rookie of the year that season I wanted to watch him closely. He dominated the game, had good passing, good skating ability for a big man, and is a tough player. Hits like a ton of bricks. I personally see him as an Alberts type player at Boston College and as a pro.

Murph1844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:39 PM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Has Colby Cohen of Lincoln surpassed Petricki as the top USHL d-man prospect for this draft?
I noticed NHL Central had him in the 1st for NA skaters, while Petricki was in the 2nd.
If you look at their stats (and yes, I KNOW stats don't tell the whole story) Cohen's got 49 points in 41 games. That is absolutely outstanding for a USHL defenceman.
Cohen's 6'2 200, and has shown a willingness to drop the gloves as well (I saw that he beat Petrecki in a scrap earlier this year).
Does anyone think Cohen could be one of the real suprises in the 1st round this year, and even go before Petrecki?
I think Cohen is a good prospect, but I'd be surprised if he went in the first round and if he went ahead of Petrecki in the draft this year. As far as other US-born defensemen go, I'd be surprised if Cohen went ahead of Blum, Shattenkirk, and Cross as well. But this draft is more wide open than we usually see, so you never know, I guess.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 03:12 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
As CSS has Cohen rated higher then it's not a stretch to believe that any given NHL team will have the same opinion. And we know it only takes one team to pick a player. But, on the balance of the evidence, I'm betting Petrecki goes higher. I wouldn't be at all surprised if CSS flips them in their final rankings.