HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lowe: You can always ask

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 04:01 AM
officeglen

vCash: 500
Lowe: You can always ask

Lowe at the nightclub, spots a cute one.

Lowe: Hey, how you doing? Care to go somewhere quiet for a night cap?
Woman: Yes, that sounds like a good idea.
Lowe: Would you be interested in doing some wild stuff? Ever try the Duck position?
Woman: Well, we could talk about that.
Lowe: And how about you pay me $500 for the night?
Woman reacts.
Lowe: Damm, I guess you can't always ask.

Quote:
"You can always ask," Lowe said, asked if he knew of any precedent for his request. "My dad taught me a long time ago, don't be afraid to ask if you feel it's right. I don't know if there's any precedent. I've heard there has been, but all sort of behind the scenes. I don't have any proof of that fact."
See Edmonton Sun articles:
http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...2-11-0128.html
http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...2-11-0126.html
http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...2-11-0129.html

Old
12-11-2003, 04:29 AM
Oylerz

"You can always ask," Lowe said, asked if he knew of any precedent for his request. "My dad taught me a long time ago, don't be afraid to ask if you feel it's right. I don't know if there's any precedent. I've heard there has been, but all sort of behind the scenes. I don't have any proof of that fact."

Lowe obviously feels that what he is asking for is right.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:14 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Comrie doesn't want to play for the team, he won't sign a contract, he made it hard for Lowe to trade him. Why shouldn't Lowe make him pay? Comrie just took the bonuses then said the heck with u, trade me.
How did Comrie make it hard for Lowe to trade him?

Old
12-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Rumour has it that there are two teams interested NYI and SJ that the Comrie camp has indicated that they do not want to go to. They do have some say in it because the team they are going to would have to sign him to a deal.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:38 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Comrie just took the bonuses then said the heck with u, trade me.
Comrie earned the bonuses that both parties agreed to.

I guess Sather isn't interested and no other GM feels he has to pay the Oilers payroll so now Lowe is trying to get someone else to pay for his mistakes.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Rumour has it that there are two teams interested NYI and SJ that the Comrie camp has indicated that they do not want to go to. They do have some say in it because the team they are going to would have to sign him to a deal.
Rumours are not the truth Even though I do tend to agree that this is more truth than not, we have no proof that it is, and therefore it is unfair to judge a player based on heresay.

Officeglen - Excellent analagy! Of course, no one else seems to understand that this "plan" goes against all rules of modern day economics.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Rumours are not the truth Even though I do tend to agree that this is more truth than not, we have no proof that it is, and therefore it is unfair to judge a player based on heresay.

Officeglen - Excellent analagy! Of course, no one else seems to understand that this "plan" goes against all rules of modern day economics.
It was published in Edmonton newspapers that NYI were interested and the Comrie camp indicated that he had no interest in going there. Take that for what it is worth.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I would say that Comrie doesn't owe the Oilers anything. I mean they agreed on the contract, he fulfilled the contract and now he's saying that he won't play for the team any longer. I can understand Lowe's request if he decided to quit out with a year still on his contract.
If this is true, can't the NHLPA get in on this?
I mean, seriously...this is just getting nutty.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:22 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
I would say that Comrie doesn't owe the Oilers anything. I mean they agreed on the contract, he fulfilled the contract and now he's saying that he won't play for the team any longer. I can understand Lowe's request if he decided to quit out with a year still on his contract.

From what i understand, Lowe has done nothing illegal here. It is somewhat nutty but Lowe is still working within the current CBA. I am sure that he has done his due dilligence to make sure that everything is legal.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Comrie earned the bonuses that both parties agreed to.
Not without serious help from Lowe and MacTavish, he didn't.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:27 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
Well, Comrie does owe the Oilers two things.

First, he owes them 8 more years of service; 8 years from now, he can tell the Oilers to shove it, and walk to UFA. Until then, or until he is traded, he remains Oiler property.

Second, Comrie really put the screw-ball to the Oilers with his first contract. He owes it to the Oilers to suck it up and go to a team that is willing to trade for him. He is a RFA; does he not realise he has absolutly no power to decide where he ends up?

Old
12-11-2003, 06:42 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie

First, he owes them 8 more years of service; 8 years from now, he can tell the Oilers to shove it, and walk to UFA. Until then, or until he is traded, he remains Oiler property.

Second, Comrie really put the screw-ball to the Oilers with his first contract. He owes it to the Oilers to suck it up and go to a team that is willing to trade for him. He is a RFA; does he not realise he has absolutly no power to decide where he ends up?
Comrie owes the Oilers nothing.

He played out his contract and can go retire if he wants.

He cannot force the Oilers to trade him regardless how long he stays away, but the Oilers cannot force him to play or stop him from going overseas to play.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:42 AM
saba

Send a message via Yahoo to saba
comrie is hockey makele

Lowe is just following the cue of Real Madrid who made Makele pay for his ride out of Madrid for Chelsea. The player had to pay Real to leave to go and get Abromovich's cash. I think it was even around 2.5million euros

Old
12-11-2003, 06:48 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:

That's the thing. Being contractless DOES give him power to decide where he wants to go because that team would have to sign him.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:52 AM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:

uh, thats some twisted logic. Comrie owes nothing, just as the Oil owe him nothing. That the Oil retain his rights is one thing, but to suggest Comrie owes the Oilers his services is absolutly incorrect.

I have no idea how you came up with "8" more years of service ? His contract has expired, period. Comrie can choose to sign or not sign with anyone who makes him a contract offer.

DR

Old
12-11-2003, 07:06 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
uh, thats some twisted logic. Comrie owes nothing, just as the Oil owe him nothing. That the Oil retain his rights is one thing, but to suggest Comrie owes the Oilers his services is absolutly incorrect.

I have no idea how you came up with "8" more years of service ? His contract has expired, period. Comrie can choose to sign or not sign with anyone who makes him a contract offer.

DR
He's 23. UFA is 31. Thus, 8 years of service.

True he can sign with any team, but who's going to sign him. The RFA is made so that teams just don't sign each other's RFAs. No team would be willing to sign Comrie at the expense of (forget the exact rule here) 3 first round picks.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Comrie has stated he will only sign with certain teams and will dictate where he will sign. This limits Lowe's ability to get full Value for him.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality

DR
I think he is referring to the fact that the ielrs own Comries rights for 8 more years so until then Comrie cannot play in the nhl unless the oil trade his rights or he signs a RFA contract with another team.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Comrie owes the Oilers nothing.

He played out his contract and can go retire if he wants.

He cannot force the Oilers to trade him regardless how long he stays away, but the Oilers cannot force him to play or stop him from going overseas to play.
I think that Comrie/Winter caused the Oilers punitive damages. IMO

pu·ni·tive (pyn-tv)
adj.
Inflicting or aiming to inflict punishment; punishing.

By dragging this trade and contract through the mud Comrie/Winter have caused damages to the Oilers in the public eye that could have large financial ramifications.

It was Comrie who wanted out of this contract not the Oilers and the Oil come out looking like the bad guys because we won't trade him for Cory Perry and a pick?? Hogwash I say. Make the lil' Brick pay!!!

Old
12-11-2003, 07:33 AM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
He's 23. UFA is 31. Thus, 8 years of service.

True he can sign with any team, but who's going to sign him. The RFA is made so that teams just don't sign each other's RFAs. No team would be willing to sign Comrie at the expense of (forget the exact rule here) 3 first round picks.
like i said, thats twisted logic. the Oil own the rights to Comrie, but Comrie doesnt OWE the Oil anything other than what he agrees to in contract.

Anyhow, I dont really care that KL has made this move, but to describe it as Comrie owing 8 more years of service is completly false.

DR

Old
12-11-2003, 07:44 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch

then why doesn't Comrie come out and publicly say, he'll play for whichever team wants to trade for him?

Old
12-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Interestingly, he outright admitted that the deal on the table *without* money isn't good enough for Edmonton. I don't know if that's a good or a bad move...I do think it's pretty bush league of Lowe to make a demand like this, but then again, it's pretty much a reversal of Mike Comrie exploiting the Mike Van Ryn loophole.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:56 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
then why doesn't Comrie come out and publicly say, he'll play for whichever team wants to trade for him?
In fact, Rich Winter has publicly said the exact opposite. A Robin Brownlee article (entitled "MC Has The Hammer!" ) quoted Winter as saying that Comrie would choose where he gets to pay by refusing to sign with teams he didn't deem worthy of his services. Presumably Winter was under the assumption that Lowe would have dozens of offers to choose from. Presumably, Brownlee should clear the gold lame` propeller-pants out of his closet, as well.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:58 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Interestingly, he outright admitted that the deal on the table *without* money isn't good enough for Edmonton. I don't know if that's a good or a bad move...I do think it's pretty bush league of Lowe to make a demand like this, but then again, it's pretty much a reversal of Mike Comrie exploiting the Mike Van Ryn loophole.
Since the Mike Van Ryn loophole got a cool moniker, how about naming the Kevin Lowe negotiation tactic.

Lowe-Down Shake-Down
K-Lo Comrie Crush
Kevin's Cash Call

What do you think?

Old
12-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Since the Mike Van Ryn loophole got a cool moniker, how about naming the Kevin Lowe negotiation tactic.

Lowe-Down Shake-Down
K-Lo Comrie Crush
Kevin's Cash Call

What do you think?

I'm a big fan of the K-Lo Comrie Crush.

Closed Thread