HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

GDT: Nashville Predators @ Detroit Red Wings 7:30 PM EDT

Old
03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
zetterberg40

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
what happened to fils?

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Ricelund
troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
what happened to fils?
Lower body injury.

03-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Higgy4

Bootland actually received an unsportsmanlike for the call tonight.

But can someone tell me why Fiddler didnt get the same exact penalty when he dropped his gloves and challenged Maltby???

Very strange.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:30 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
No.

Ditto

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
No.
I don't know--I can still see Ellis or Bootland as the extras next year. we're going to need cheap filler, and I'm not sure there's a lot of it on farm right now. And trying to get decent cheap filler off the UFA market isn't always easy (see: Norton, Brad). Sometimes the Devil we know is better than the Devil we don't

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post

But can someone tell me why Fiddler didnt get the same exact penalty when he dropped his gloves and challenged Maltby???

Very strange.

I think because Booter spent about 15 seconds during the play going after Tootoo,

Maltby and Fiddler, for the most part, happened after the whiste.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:33 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I don't know--I can still see Ellis or Bootland as the extras next year. we're going to need cheap filler, and I'm not sure there's a lot of it on farm right now. And trying to get decent cheap filler off the UFA market isn't always easy (see: Norton, Brad). Sometimes the Devil we know is better than the Devil we don't
Yuck.
Ellis can't skate. He doesn't hit. He can't pass. Or Shoot. Or fight.
He just works hard.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartestManOnEarth View Post
I think because Booter spent about 15 seconds during the play going after Tootoo,

Maltby and Fiddler, for the most part, happened after the whiste.
Yeah, I guess. But the premise on both plays was pretty much the same. If one is "unsportsmanlike", than so is the other. Both guys were trying to instigate a fight.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:34 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11
Yeah, definitely not. He puts forth the effort but he's not very good at anything.
Thanks for the feedback (HIHD and SMOE, too). I've only been listening to games and seemed to hear his name a lot and that gave the impression that he was making things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
"Lower body injury".
Fixed.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:35 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:

Very strange.
Because the refs give Detroit a penalty every time a Nashville player is breathed on? The refs have been brutal these past 2 games, and I wanted to throw something through the t.v. both nights.

Looked like the Preds players were upset at the end of the game...guess they realized they just got their ***** beat by the better team.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:36 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
How exactly is Booters "brutal"? He drew a penalty last night when Tootoo dropped his gloves and started punching him, and then tonight he wanted to fight Tootoo, but the little ***** just skated away. The refs gave Booters a penalty for what exactly? Grabbing ahold of Tootoo's jersey? Give me a break. Booters shouldn't have gotten a penalty, unless he would have dropped his gloves and started pounding on the little *****.
You and Heater are wrong.
Bootland was gonna fight, but Tootoo kicked is ass before he even had both his gloves off.

Then tonight, he went out there like an idiot and spent 20 seconds trying to goad Tootoo into a rematch and took a stupid penalty.

He impressed Babcock so much that he never skated another shift.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:36 PM
8snake

Bootland didnt see much time after the Tootoo episode, did he?

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
8snake

Quote:
He impressed Babcock so much that he never skated another shift.
Guess that answers my question. I figured Babs would nail his ass to the bench after that.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Yeah, I guess. But the premise on both plays was pretty much the same. If one is "unsportsmanlike", than so is the other. Both guys were trying to instigate a fight.
They could have called Fiddler, but, seriously, if I was reffing, I wouldn't have called him.

Bootland, on the other hand, was making an ass of himself.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
Because the refs give Detroit a penalty every time a Nashville player is breathed on? The refs have been brutal these past 2 games, and I wanted to throw something through the t.v. both nights.

Looked like the Preds players were upset at the end of the game...guess they realized they just got their ***** beat by the better team.

I am not going to rag on officials too much. I dont like to use that as an excuse. I just dont know why one thing is called and something eerily similar is let go?

Lang gets a weak hooking call in the 3rd period ( Yes, he takes alot of lazy penalties, but this one was weak as hell. ) after the Pred feels a nudge on his elbow and his legs MIRACULOUSLY fall out from under him. 3 minutes later Lang enters the Pred zone and cant even move his arms due to a hook from a Predator, and yet this one, for whatever reason, is deemed a legal hook???

Its just mind boggling. And I use this one just as an example, because I see a lot of calls that go against other teams that make me shake my head just as much.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
Bootland didnt see much time after the Tootoo episode, did he?
No he didn't.

Bootland, apparently, forgot what decade it was.
I mean, in the 70s an 80s, it was common to see guys go looking for fights.

But usually those guys were good at it.

Bootland got punked yesterday. Tootoo got the extra two, but he punked Bootland.
And today, Booter got the extra two and didn't even get to slug the little guy.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
They could have called Fiddler, but, seriously, if I was reffing, I wouldn't have called him.

Bootland, on the other hand, was making an ass of himself.
I wouldn't have called either of them.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:42 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
I am not going to rag on officials too much. I dont like to use that as an excuse. I just dont know why one thing is called and something eerily similar is let go?

Lang gets a weak hooking call in the 3rd period ( Yes, he takes alot of lazy penalties, but this one was weak as hell. ) after the Pred feels a nudge on his elbow and his legs MIRACULOUSLY fall out from under him. 3 minutes later Lang enters the Pred zone and cant even move his arms due to a hook from a Predator, and yet this one, for whatever reason, is deemed a legal hook???

Its just mind boggling. And I use this one just as an example, because I see a lot of calls that go against other teams that make me shake my head just as much.
Like the call on Arnott in the first.
Easily the weakest penalty of the game.
It was obviously a makeup call, as the refs blew the call when the Predator interfered with Kronwall

Old
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Like the call on Arnott in the first.
Easily the weakest penalty of the game.
It was obviously a makeup call, as the refs blew the call when the Predator interfered with Kronwall
Right. Thats exactly the kind of stuff I am talking about. I just want to know what standards these guys use to pick and choose which hooks and interferences are OK and which ones they feel need to be called.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
I wouldn't have called either of them.
You wouldn't call Bootland?
He had Tootoo by his jersey for 10 seconds, trying to get him to fight, way behind the play. Tootoo wasn't biting.
You HAVE to call it.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
He had Tootoo by his jersey for 10 seconds, trying to get him to fight, way behind the play. Tootoo wasn't biting.
You HAVE to call it.
I've seen guys do that before, and yet neither of them go to the box for it. You don't like Bootland, which is fine, but to say he deserved the penalty is just nuts. He had Tootoo by the jersey, but so what? The refs never call that, and for some reason decide to do so tonight. Tootoo is a punk *****, and sooner or later will get what is coming to him, whether it be from Bootland or someone else in the league.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
You HAVE to call it.

No you dont. The refs know the situation, hell I think Dan Maraoullie (sp?) reffed in both games. He knows what happened last night, and he knows what kind of players Tootoo and Bootland are.

I can see why it did and could get called, but I don't think its an automatic call they way that you see it.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I don't know--I can still see Ellis or Bootland as the extras next year.
Again... no.

Detroit has about 3 billion depth forwards right now. There's no reason to bring up Ellis or Bootland just to make that group worse.

Franzen, Cleary, Draper, and Samuelsson are already under contract. Detroit will probably re-sign Maltby for a 900-1.1 mil 1 year deal. Kopecky is still an RFA. Filppula likely needs some more time in the bottom 6. Who knows where Hudler is going to play (as an aside, everyone calling that guy 'Hoodlum' is starting to drive me insane. He's 4 feet tall. As soon as Mini-Me starts a gang, maybe. Between that and March Madness' new term 'chalk' and everyone on ESPN using it 14 times a sentence... ).

That's 7-8 forwards for the bottom 6, with Filppula and Hudler bouncing around who knows where. Ellis and Bootland are career AHL'ers. If we ever see them on the active roster again it'll be because the team plane crashed.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Fugu

vCash:
HD -- how about Hudlum then?

Old
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
As someone who spends a ton of their free time as an official for a number of different high school level sports I can provide this insight:

It's really effing hard to call a game accurately. Even at the High School level. It's got to be a thousand times harder to do it at the pro level.

Sure, that's no excuse for sucking at it... but at ice/court/field level things look completely differently than they do in the stands or on TV.

Honestly, I don't know why the NHL just doesn't go to having a booth official who can make penalty calls. Wire a light above the benches to indicate a delayed penalty, hook up a whistle SFX for the guy to press... voila.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote