HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Nashville Predators @ Detroit Red Wings 7:30 PM EDT

Old
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
HD -- how about Hudlum then?

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Fugu

vCash:
For the guys who don't get the Fox feed, a couple of injury updates were given. Bertuzzi is going to Grand Rapids to practice with the Griffs since he is NOT traveling with the team on the West Coast trip. Some Nucks fans will be disappointed by that. After the trade deadline, NHL'ers can't play in the AHL games, but they can be sent down for practices/conditioning. Bert is expected to play after the West Coast swing. Zetterberg is out another couple weeks, so almost into the playoffs before the return of Z. I think Cleary and Franzen may be ready for the road trip.

Old
03-14-2007, 09:54 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
I've seen guys do that before, and yet neither of them go to the box for it. You don't like Bootland, which is fine, but to say he deserved the penalty is just nuts. He had Tootoo by the jersey, but so what? The refs never call that, and for some reason decide to do so tonight. Tootoo is a punk *****, and sooner or later will get what is coming to him, whether it be from Bootland or someone else in the league.

No, I don;t like Bootland.
He's useless, unlike Tootoo, who looks like a young Kirk Maltby who actually drops the gloves from time to time.

Bootland came in on Tootoo like he was gonna fight. He dropped a glove and grabbed tootoo by the jersey and then took four shots to the head.

He was involved in the altercation. It ain't like a Sean Avery situation, where Avery tries to goad the other guy into a fight and then turtles.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 09:57 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
No you dont. The refs know the situation, hell I think Dan Maraoullie (sp?) reffed in both games. He knows what happened last night, and he knows what kind of players Tootoo and Bootland are.

I can see why it did and could get called, but I don't think its an automatic call they way that you see it.

Yeah, it's pretty much automatic, When one player is trying to start a fight during play, and the other guy wants no part of it, and the first guy continues to press the matter to the point where the whistle is blown, then yeah, you call it.

And you know, you just absolutely know, that the ref was saying, let it go, boys. Drop it. And Booter didn't.

That's why he got the penalty.

It was a deserved penalty. And it was a stupid penalty.

And that's why he never saw the ice again

Old
03-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartestManOnEarth View Post
Yeah, it's pretty much automatic, When one player is trying to start a fight during play, and the other guy wants no part of it, and the first guy continues to press the matter to the point where the whistle is blown, then yeah, you call it.

And you know, you just absolutely know, that the ref was saying, let it go, boys. Drop it. And Booter didn't.

That's why he got the penalty.

Well, if you say so, I guess.

Its not really a big deal. Bootland is only up for a short while longer anyway.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
How exactly is Booters "brutal"? He drew a penalty last night when Tootoo dropped his gloves and started punching him, and then tonight he wanted to fight Tootoo, but the little ***** just skated away. The refs gave Booters a penalty for what exactly? Grabbing ahold of Tootoo's jersey? Give me a break. Booters shouldn't have gotten a penalty, unless he would have dropped his gloves and started pounding on the little *****.
I said why he was brutal in my first post. He is in Detroit to bang, not be Tootoo's punching bag or put Nashville on the power play. Babcock evidently felt the same way as Booter only played one very short shift in the first after taking that boneheaded penalty and didn't play again the rest of the night.

I like Bootland but he has got to understand his role.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Well, if you say so, I guess.

Its not really a big deal. Bootland is only up for a short while longer anyway.
The sooner he's gone the better.

No talent, can't skate, doesn't have a good head on his shoulders and contrary to some peoples belief, he scares nobody. The guy is a 'tomato can' when it comes to fighting.

I've never been a fan and his most recent showing isn't changing things. He's had enough chances, get Oulahen or Himelfarb up here asap. With Flip now going down they could suit up for the whole west swing.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Higgy4

Quote:

Well, technically, Bootland did see 1 shift after his penalty.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...7/SC021050.HTM

Old
03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
The sooner he's gone the better.

No talent, can't skate, doesn't have a good head on his shoulders and contrary to some peoples belief, he scares nobody. The guy is a 'tomato can' when it comes to fighting.

I've never been a fan and his most recent showing isn't changing things. He's had enough chances, get Oulahen or Himelfarb up here asap. With Flip now going down they could suit up for the whole west swing.
I agree. The only guy I know Bootland beat up is Steve Ott.

I find it weird that if The Wings are trying to add a fighter they try two crappy ones in Bootland and Norton. If you are getting a slug to play >5 minutes a game and fight you might as well go for a pure fighter (Orr, Ivanans etc.)

Wow. Hopefully the Calder-Lang-Hudler line isn't broken up when the team gets healthy.

Coffey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77 View Post
I agree. The only guy I know Bootland beat up is Steve Ott.

I find it weird that if The Wings are trying to add a fighter they try two crappy ones in Bootland and Norton. If you are getting a slug to play >5 minutes a game and fight you might as well go for a pure fighter (Orr, Ivanans etc.)

Wow. Hopefully the Calder-Lang-Hudler line isn't broken up when the team gets healthy.
Something will have to give. The Z-Dats-Holmer line or that line will have to be broken up. I don't see Mr. Bertuzzi playing on the 3rd or 4th line. Personnally I just hope Hudler remains in the lineup come playoff time! One of Huds, Flip or Samuelson will sit the way I see it. Up until about 2 weeks ago we know Babs wouldn't hesitate as to which of the three would sit.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Again... no.

Detroit has about 3 billion depth forwards right now. There's no reason to bring up Ellis or Bootland just to make that group worse.

Franzen, Cleary, Draper, and Samuelsson are already under contract. Detroit will probably re-sign Maltby for a 900-1.1 mil 1 year deal. Kopecky is still an RFA. Filppula likely needs some more time in the bottom 6. Who knows where Hudler is going to play (as an aside, everyone calling that guy 'Hoodlum' is starting to drive me insane. He's 4 feet tall. As soon as Mini-Me starts a gang, maybe. Between that and March Madness' new term 'chalk' and everyone on ESPN using it 14 times a sentence... ).

That's 7-8 forwards for the bottom 6, with Filppula and Hudler bouncing around who knows where. Ellis and Bootland are career AHL'ers. If we ever see them on the active roster again it'll be because the team plane crashed.

now Smauelsson is bottom six?

All of the guys you listed (aside from Maltby, who I'm pushing to be let go) I see in the top twelve next year, with Fils centering the third line and Hudler finding a spot in the top-6. If we can find cheaper/better 13/14 forwards, I'm all for it. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Brad May, Matt Barnaby or Ville Nieminen being the occasional fill-in/injury replacement. Or maybe Holland goes outside the box (to drum up another phrase that people quickly tired of, heh) and brings over someone like Jamtin to compete for those roles.

But I think we have bonus money being pushed back to next year's cap, and I'm expecting two top-4 dmen and two top-6 forwards (one if Datsyuk signs) being found through free agency this summer. Maybe someone like Schneider or Markov returns, but it's still going to cost roughly the same as signing someone new. Add in another $2-3 million in wiggle room for injuries/trades, and the Wings are going to have to watch the bottom line again.

And while it would be nice to bring in better players who will take super low contracts and sit in the pressbox, it's simply not realistic. Just look at this past pre-season. We had Brad Norton and Krys Kolanos seriously contending for roster spots. Norton was on the roster and we all know how well that went.

I think Newsy is pretty well dead on with his breakdown of Ellis (though I think ellis would hit more if he could catch someone), but for league minimum, working hard and not shooting us in the foot is really all we can truly ask for, imo. anything else is gravy.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 10:32 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
though I think ellis would hit more if he could catch someone.
this is why Maltby isn't as effective on the forecheck.
He's not fast like he once was.
But he's still faster than Ellis.

Old
03-15-2007, 12:34 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
PP chances in the back to back:
Preds 13
Wings 4

Points gained in the back to back:
Preds 0
Wings 4

Gotta say, that's a pretty good couple of games for the Wings. And really, really bad for Nashville. They can't have much faith in either of their goalies. And it's not like the Wings have their best guys in the lineup either. Kariya completely disappeared without Sullivan and Forskin. Zidlicky = -6 for the pair. Ouch. I have to say I'm less worried about Nashville than I was 48 hours ago. Anaheim is still out there, however...

Nice slash on Chelios there by Dumont, literally 2 feet from the ref, with his eyes fixed directly on the play. And obvious proof of injury. Nice.

Way to man up, Booter. Remember yesterday, when the eskimidget didn't care if you were going to fight or not, and he beat your ass? And remember tonight, where you looked like you wanted to spoon with him? Don't worry though, I'm sure his collar was all loose and stretchy and uncomfortable for the rest of the game because you tugged on it a couple of times. And you only got about 4 seconds worth of ice time after that - did you get room service down there, some nice cigars and brandy, and maybe a few cucumber sandwiches? Pretty sure any good grace you had with Babcock is right down the crapper.

Mlive's boxscore has the Wings' first goal to Nicklas Lindstrom. Mlive, why did you hire Gary Thorne to manage your boxscore database?!?!?!?
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/spnet....px?GAMEID=7768

Hudler's hair was on fire in this one. He made a great backcheck on his first shift, and I don't think he touched the puck for more than 5 seconds the rest of the game. But he didn't have to. He was much, much better when he let someone else hold the puck. This makes me wonder how he'd do with Pavel and/or Hank. I really doubt that he has this sort of game in him on more than a blue moon, but kudos to him, he seems to finally be getting it.

Lang, ah, good ol' Lang. He serves up 3 giveaways on the power play over the course of about 10 seconds, sprinkles in a half a dozen more over the first two periods, and makes a couple of nice plays to set up a couple of goals. I'm sorry, but I can't see this as anything other than disappointing. Maybe that's unfair of me. But I know now that Lang lost my support forever a week or two back, when I saw him go for a line change, when the opposition was advancing the puck through the neutral zone, and about 8 seconds left in regulation in a tie game, and Lang went for a line change. He was literally too lazy to stand up for 8 more seconds. That was it for me. He's on the **** list. Maybe two or three series-winning goals could change my mind, or a cup-clinching hat trick or something. But I doubt it.

Columbus just beat Anaheim in a shootout. Jeebus.

Time for Lilja to sit down. Markov, please?

Ellis is a fine 13th forward. If that spot isn't being taken by Kopecky next year, I'd have no problem with Ellis there. I wouldn't mind Bootland if I could figure out what his deal is. He really wants to fight, and he doesn't fight. Then he really wants to fight, and he lets the guy get away. Langfeld blows.

Samuelsson really isn't very good. And when he's anywhere other than right in front of the net, neither is Homer.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:48 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
First of all, I had to listen to the game on the radio tonight, since I was coming back from Metro Airport (and made a side trip to Hell - Michigan, that is). But it sounded like a good game. I'll watch it tomorrow.

Second, cheers to Jiri Hudler...he's really starting to come into his own, and it's about time.

Third, two more helpers for Pasha tonight, and I did get to see that check he put on Darcy Hordichuk...pretty good, Pasha...way to assert yourself.

Maybe I should go to Hell more often!

kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:59 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Thanks for the game reports, sarcastro and the rest of the guys

Congratz Jiri, way to go

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 03:28 AM
14ari13

Hudler has 4 goals and 2 assists in 7 games vs the Preds and 3 GWG

Trotz says:
Quote:
"Hudler is not the first guy you think of, but he really hurt us. He was the difference in both games."

Hudler made it 3-2 early in the third period after tying the game with 3:37 left in the second.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 03:33 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
A great gdt name on the Preds' board.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=357989

I find it funny, The Red Wings=The Evil Empire

Well, then The NJ Devils meeting The Evil Empire would be a great matchup for the SC finals.

The Evil Empire prevails. The Devils (hockey enemy nr.1) got crashed by the young knights.
Thanks Pens, I'll put my money on you vs the Devils and if the Pens knock the Devils out of the playoffs, I'll even become a Crosby/Malkin/Staal fan.

Old
03-15-2007, 04:26 AM
14ari13

Quote:
No, I don;t like Bootland.
He's useless, unlike Tootoo, who looks like a young Kirk Maltby who actually drops the gloves from time to time.

Bootland came in on Tootoo like he was gonna fight. He dropped a glove and grabbed tootoo by the jersey and then took four shots to the head.

He was involved in the altercation. It ain't like a Sean Avery situation, where Avery tries to goad the other guy into a fight and then turtles.
You say Tootoo is useless?! I beleive I saw your comment in the previous thread vs the Preds that Tootoo had the Wings on their heels. How come?? Something seems wrong.

At least they brought the excitement to the games which confirms the number of posts on those 2 players even though Bootland played just 2 shifts 1,25M.

Old
03-15-2007, 04:33 AM
14ari13

Quote:
I don't know--I can still see Ellis or Bootland as the extras next year. we're going to need cheap filler, and I'm not sure there's a lot of it on farm right now. And trying to get decent cheap filler off the UFA market isn't always easy (see: Norton, Brad). Sometimes the Devil we know is better than the Devil we don't
Bootland, maybe. He is not a good fighter, but he beat Staios and that's about enough for me.
Ellis, maybe-maybe, he had some good shifts, I do not remember which line it was, but I think he had some decent shifts.
Langfeld, no-no-no and just no.

Old
03-15-2007, 06:14 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
now Smauelsson is bottom six?
He's always been a bottom six forward, Winger. It's just that lack of scoring forwards this year forced him to play on a second line... much like it lead to Cleary having to be on a second line for a while. Neither guy is a second liner.

Quote:
All of the guys you listed (aside from Maltby, who I'm pushing to be let go) I see in the top twelve next year, with Fils centering the third line and Hudler finding a spot in the top-6. If we can find cheaper/better 13/14 forwards, I'm all for it.
Okay... you're not hearing me. There are 6 spots in the bottom 6, right? Add in 1 or maybe two scratches. 7-8 forwards. There are already 5 guys under contract (Franzen, Cleary, Samuelsson, Draper and Filppula) and two more RFA eligible (Kopecky and Hudler). Grigorenko might fit into that role if he's able to make the team.

Quote:
and the Wings are going to have to watch the bottom line again.
Enh. They're in pretty good shape cap wise. I've already run down the numbers with Fugu so I'm not going to regurgitate that here. Detroit's nowhere near the point of having to throw completely unprepared league-minimum AHL'ers on their opening day roster just to save 500k.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
The Evil Empire prevails. The Devils (hockey enemy nr.1) got crashed by the young knights.
Thanks Pens, I'll put my money on you vs the Devils and if the Pens knock the Devils out of the playoffs, I'll even become a Crosby/Malkin/Staal fan.

Now this would be really, really hard to do if one has good taste in hockey players. Don't push yourself too hard.

Old
03-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
You say Tootoo is useless?! I beleive I saw your comment in the previous thread vs the Preds that Tootoo had the Wings on their heels. How come?? Something seems wrong.

At least they brought the excitement to the games which confirms the number of posts on those 2 players even though Bootland played just 2 shifts 1,25M.
The comment that SMOE said was that Bootland was useless, UNLIKE Tootoo. Meaning that Tootoo was making things happen for the Preds.

And that is absolutely true. Tootoo was a big pain in the ass the past 2 games and he did everything he could to help the Preds. The problem was that he was the only one. Tootoo was their best player the past 2 games, and they wont win many games with Tootoo being their best player.

Old
03-15-2007, 10:01 AM
14ari13

Quote:
The comment that SMOE said was that Bootland was useless, UNLIKE Tootoo. Meaning that Tootoo was making things happen for the Preds.

And that is absolutely true. Tootoo was a big pain in the ass the past 2 games and he did everything he could to help the Preds. The problem was that he was the only one. Tootoo was their best player the past 2 games, and they wont win many games with Tootoo being their best player.
You are right, I read it wrong, but anyhow he said Tootoo had the Wings on their heels and that was way too much IMO.
But I do not know if Tootoo helped them at all, maybe Trotz should reconsider his gameplan vs the Wings cause they were successful vs the Wings at home and they were successful at back to back games, but those both fell apart as Tootoo was the major part of their game. Tootoo and Trotz might just have inspired the Wings.

Old
03-15-2007, 10:04 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Now this would be really, really hard to do if one has good taste in hockey players. Don't push yourself too hard.
Did not get a chance to see them much. I usually do not like those hyped players, so I can easily say that I slightly dislike those 3, though I like what I have seen of Crosby, the kid is pretty much good for what he is touted to be.

Old
03-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Tootoo bugged the Wings enough that they got called for 3 penalties by responding to his agitation. I think they scored on at least one of those opportunities. As much as the guy bugs me, the Wings were really dumb to do that...

As for Staal, Crosby and Malkin? They're the real deal. Syd is fun to watch and what can I add that hasn't been said? Malkin isn't as flashy as AO but is every bit as skilled (big, strong guy too who can skate). 31 G and 74 pts so far as a rookie ain't bad at all. I figured he'd reach about 90 pts so he's just a hair off, but he did miss some games. He's 6'3" but still under 200 lbs. Just imagine what a wrecking ball he can be when he bulks up. Staal is holding his own at the tender age of 19. He's got 28 G and is doing about 0.5 PPG and +16. Cherry loves this guy more than Malkin, but the difference is Staal's Canadian and Malkin's Russian.

They're so good I can't stand it.