HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stajan a healthy scratch vs. N.Y.?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-13-2003, 03:29 PM
  #1
Johnny Danger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Suisse
Posts: 1,027
vCash: 500
Stajan a healthy scratch vs. N.Y.?

why?

Johnny Danger is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 03:34 PM
  #2
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,356
vCash: 105
Supposedly its too rough out there for Stajan

Pinto is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 03:38 PM
  #3
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Minor injury, a small flu bug?

Could simply be tired?
Stajan is still pretty young, and the NHL makes for a grueling schedule.

I wouldn't read much into it personally, unless we see him sitting out the next game as well.

__________________
Welcome to Leafs Nation, leave your common sense at the door.
Rand is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 04:45 PM
  #4
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
did not seem to matter 3-1 but it may have been a good idea not to ride him too hard at 19. Bring in Belak for toughness. I think Quinn will look good for making this decision. If they lost he would have looked bad - its one of those things.

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 04:55 PM
  #5
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
I think Quinn will look good for making this decision. If they lost he would have looked bad - its one of those things.
In Toronto you look bad no matter what you do if your a coach.

If they had lost people would lambast him for not putting in their saviour in Stajan.

Since they won it'll probably be labeled as Stajan missing out on valuable experience, and Belak proving himself horrible and dropping his value around the league or something similar.

Rand is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 05:05 PM
  #6
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,603
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
did not seem to matter 3-1 but it may have been a good idea not to ride him too hard at 19. Bring in Belak for toughness. I think Quinn will look good for making this decision. If they lost he would have looked bad - its one of those things.
I dunno, if he healthy scratched someone like Sundin, Nolan, Roberts, Mogliny, etc. for a game and they lost then people would be seeing him like that, I love Stajan but honetly right now Stajan's not a game breaking player, he does get goals here and there and has his share of points but not as much as the previous listed who can make a difference on a game by game situation.

anyways Stajan got nailed by a Big Hit in Minny, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he's sitting cause he's sore and they don't want to aggrivate an injury in a prommising young foreward like himself who can play at this level, I mean why risk it? I could understand not scratching a player who's sore in the playoffs or when your fighting for a playoff spot late in the season but Tonight worst case scenerio was what? falling 2 more points behind the flyers for 1st in the league? not exactly a huge thing in December, but they lost I think cause what's his face(Cole wasn't announcer) said were now 1 point behind the Flyers and on Headline sports I thought I saw them flash by but I dunno.

if anything the worst thing that happened tonight was that Boston beat Ottawa instead of them Tying and splitting the two points rather then Boston gaining 2, we could have been 6 points up but now only 5.

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 07:24 PM
  #7
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
I like the move personally. Sitting out a couple games can be a very good thing for a young player over the course of the season. Give him a chance to catch his breath when he's not used to playing an 82 game schedule. Sometimes it can also be a valuable learning experience to take a step back and watch the play instead of being involved in it. You see things differently and sometimes you'll catch things you normally wouldn't notice if you were on the ice.

If he gets scratched a few games in a row then we can start to be concerned, but one game here and there is probably a good thing for his development in the long run and should help him to not get burnt out over the course of the season.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 07:48 PM
  #8
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 40,276
vCash: 500
he took a bruise in the shoulder area in that last game then got replaced on the line with ponik.

good idea to sit him out against the dirty rangers

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 03:16 AM
  #9
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
I like the move personally. Sitting out a couple games can be a very good thing for a young player over the course of the season. Give him a chance to catch his breath when he's not used to playing an 82 game schedule. Sometimes it can also be a valuable learning experience to take a step back and watch the play instead of being involved in it. You see things differently and sometimes you'll catch things you normally wouldn't notice if you were on the ice.

If he gets scratched a few games in a row then we can start to be concerned, but one game here and there is probably a good thing for his development in the long run and should help him to not get burnt out over the course of the season.
agreed,but some of the posters around here are so dogmatic about their disapproval of Belak they can't see something like that.

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 06:28 AM
  #10
berney fkaj
Registered User
 
berney fkaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Around
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
agreed,but some of the posters around here are so dogmatic about their disapproval of Belak they can't see something like that.

I am one of those Belak dissaprovers, but I can still see the benifit/ importance of letting Stajan among others, rest once in a while. As for Belak i just simple feel with domi, and Perrot as well as the physical play of many of the other leafs (Roberts, Nolan, ect) we just don't need him and it not fair that he plays and takes up a roster spot from some of are young guns. I would of much rather seen Stajan sit, and the leafs called up Druken, or gave Poni a couple more minuits.

berney fkaj is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 07:08 AM
  #11
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
I was pretty disspointed when I first heard it but it being the Rangers, we didn't really need him, and if he's still hurting from the hit in Minny, we're better off giving him a chance to heal up and get to 100%

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 07:24 AM
  #12
TML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton
Country: Estonia
Posts: 1,742
vCash: 500
Hey Leaf fans,

I was disappointed Stajan didn't play last night, but on the bright side, Belak likely won't even suit up now for a few games. I'm pretty sure Belak was inserted into the lineup because of the fisticuffs and whatnot. Stajan should be back in the lineup vs. the on Tuesday.

TML is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 12:10 PM
  #13
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by berney fkaj
I am one of those Belak dissaprovers, but I can still see the benifit/ importance of letting Stajan among others, rest once in a while. As for Belak i just simple feel with domi, and Perrot as well as the physical play of many of the other leafs (Roberts, Nolan, ect) we just don't need him and it not fair that he plays and takes up a roster spot from some of are young guns. I would of much rather seen Stajan sit, and the leafs called up Druken, or gave Poni a couple more minuits.
If they call up Druken then he has to stay up else lose him on waivers.

Perrott, Domi and Belak are too many enforcers, I agree. I am sure JF is looking for trade options but perhaps none have been satisfactory.

If it means losing one of these guys for nothing then Belak should remain with the team.

Remember Perrott has a lot of baggage that comes with him. I am not ready to anoint him Toronto's new enforcer until he shows me more consistency over a long period of time. Plus, Domi may never be back in a Leaf uniform after this year so who will be the enforcer next year?

At least with Belak he has a few assets:
1. he is a VERY good fighter - one of the better ones in the NHL - and this is real value
2. He can play both positions - not a good defensive option, but an option nonetheless if an injury or two happen during a game.
3. he is a good team guy, or so it appears
4. he is still young - remember how many years Domi was purely a fighter, and found somewhat of a renaissance in the last 3-4 years.
5. With him you at least know what you get -- which with Perrott, the same cannot be said.
6. Toronto does not have another enforcer in the system, so they will probably have to overpay if they went elsewhere.
7. He fights - which is more than can be said for guys like Laroque, Brashear or Simon - guys who became "rushers" after "crushers"

wasting time is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.