HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Prediction: HF's Top 10 Prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2007, 12:38 AM
  #51
Vector
Registered User
 
Vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Junktown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer View Post
Let's see if I can make things interesting and add a piece to the puzzle. The first person to reply to this post can ask any question about a player being or not being in the top 10 and I will answer it.

Montoya?
Price?
Radulov?
Whatever?

First person
Oh, you're such a tease.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:46 AM
  #52
Cherepanov 71
Registered User
 
Cherepanov 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Montoya has been legit this year, top 10, i dont know, def top 15 tho.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:29 AM
  #53
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 320
1. Erik Johnson
2. Jack Johnson
3. Nicklas Backstrom
4. Alexander Radulov
5. Jonathan Toews
6. Phil Kessel
7. Bobby Ryan
8. Marc Staal
9. Tuukka Rask
10. Patrick O'Sullivan

Technically Kopitar should make the list, but LA's top 20 came out yeserday and he was consitered grauated on there, like wise Brule and Malkin just played 65 games so they're out.


Last edited by whatthef: 03-15-2007 at 02:39 AM.
whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 03:14 AM
  #54
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 28,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
Malkin is currently playing his 66th games of the season.
Probably not at the time of the voting people...

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:33 AM
  #55
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
sure montoya did won a wjc mvp ...
I won't deny montoya skillset but there is one player that will make it almost impossible to make it with the NYR and his name is Henrik Lundqvist.

As for Price upside .. they are both very mentaly strong with good puck control goalie but IMO Price get the notch in terms of athletic agility.

anyway again nothing against montoya but he's also 2 years older ..
IMO at their same stage of their respective career price is better.
but again make a case for montoya over price like you want .. it's like compairing fleury & lehtonen..
The things is their not, Montoya is ahead of Price in development at this point. He is playing in a professional league and has consistantly dominated.

I am not saying that Price shouldn't be in the top 20 because frankly he should. However to put Price over Montoya at this point in terms of development and potential is insane. They both have an EQUAL potential to be a franchise goaltender while Al is much closer to the NHL level then Carey is.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
  #56
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Probably not at the time of the voting people...
I believe (again, I was not part of the committee) that they planned ahead. But I am unsure.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:01 AM
  #57
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
The things is their not, Montoya is ahead of Price in development at this point. He is playing in a professional league and has consistantly dominated.

I am not saying that Price shouldn't be in the top 20 because frankly he should. However to put Price over Montoya at this point in terms of development and potential is insane. They both have an EQUAL potential to be a franchise goaltender while Al is much closer to the NHL level then Carey is.
can we please leave logic and common sense out of this? mmm'kay?

-The Management...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
  #58
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288 View Post
If you wish to answer one more, might as well settle the debate in the other thread and tell us whether or not Steve Downie is in the top 25 or off the list all together.
Do you really need someone to tell you that Downie isn't a top-25 prospect? I'm willing to take that one on faith.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
  #59
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,483
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
The things is their not, Montoya is ahead of Price in development at this point. He is playing in a professional league and has consistantly dominated.

I am not saying that Price shouldn't be in the top 20 because frankly he should. However to put Price over Montoya at this point in terms of development and potential is insane. They both have an EQUAL potential to be a franchise goaltender while Al is much closer to the NHL level then Carey is.
Price is ahead of montoya at the same age !

Montoya
WJC 2005
Appeared in seven games for Team USA at the 2005 World Junior Championships, posting a record of 3-4-0, along with a 3.36 goals against average.

Michigan 2004-05
In 34 games has a record of 25-6-3, along with a goals against average of 2.69 and save percentage of .89

Price
WJC 2007
Played all games for Team Canada at the 2007 World Junior Championships,
posting a record of 6-0-0 with a 1.14 goals against average with a 96.09 sv% to win the gold, the award for goaltender of the tournament and the MVP of the tournament.

Tri-city 2006-07
Team GP Mins Shots GA SO Avg. % W L OTL SL
Tri-City Americans 45 2662 1323 110 3 2.48 0.917 29 13 1 0

Price was born on August 16 1987 (19 years old)
Montoya was born February 13 1985 (22 years old)

Of course montoya is more NHL ready he's 2 years and half older than Price.
Also price was the best goalie from the fall/summer habs camp in the opinion of the fans & the media.

Montoya has not yet played in the NHL.
Halak was born May 13 1985 and he's younger than Montoya by 3 months already played better in the AHL and played in the NHL.

again nothing to disrespect Montoya because there is more than stats and opinion in NHL prospect ranking ...
But IMO Price is more advanced than Montoya at the same age.

As for their ranking it's a moot point, it's made by the HF staff and nowhere near to predict the real future.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:24 AM
  #60
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 28,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I believe (again, I was not part of the committee) that they planned ahead. But I am unsure.
If so, they planned for Kopitar and the others...

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 11:26 AM
  #61
Jeepers Creeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Price is ahead of montoya at the same age !

Montoya
WJC 2005
Appeared in seven games for Team USA at the 2005 World Junior Championships, posting a record of 3-4-0, along with a 3.36 goals against average.

Michigan 2004-05
In 34 games has a record of 25-6-3, along with a goals against average of 2.69 and save percentage of .89

Price
WJC 2007
Played all games for Team Canada at the 2007 World Junior Championships,
posting a record of 6-0-0 with a 1.14 goals against average with a 96.09 sv% to win the gold, the award for goaltender of the tournament and the MVP of the tournament.

Tri-city 2006-07
Team GP Mins Shots GA SO Avg. % W L OTL SL
Tri-City Americans 45 2662 1323 110 3 2.48 0.917 29 13 1 0

Price was born on August 16 1987 (19 years old)
Montoya was born February 13 1985 (22 years old)

Of course montoya is more NHL ready he's 2 years and half older than Price.
Also price was the best goalie from the fall/summer habs camp in the opinion of the fans & the media.

Montoya has not yet played in the NHL.
Halak was born May 13 1985 and he's younger than Montoya by 3 months already played better in the AHL and played in the NHL.

again nothing to disrespect Montoya because there is more than stats and opinion in NHL prospect ranking ...
But IMO Price is more advanced than Montoya at the same age.

As for their ranking it's a moot point, it's made by the HF staff and nowhere near to predict the real future.
Did you intentionally leave out the WJC 2004 that was held in Finland where Montoya was named the best goaltender?

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
  #62
fighterflea1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Do you really need someone to tell you that Downie isn't a top-25 prospect? I'm willing to take that one on faith.
I'll go out on a limb and project Downie somewhere in the 16-18 range.

fighterflea1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:04 PM
  #63
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers View Post
Montoya has been legit this year, top 10, i dont know, def top 15 tho.
I dont think Montoya is going to make the list personally......hes def behind Harding and Price, Rask, Irving, Bernier, Pogge, I think that if he was not in 26-50 that hes not on the list cuz i dont see him as a top 25.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:05 PM
  #64
Goallum
Registered User
 
Goallum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Kopitar is not included in the latest Kings Top-20 (what's the point, right?), so he won't be in the top-50.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:08 PM
  #65
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
Did you intentionally leave out the WJC 2004 that was held in Finland where Montoya was named the best goaltender?
Of course he left out the WJC that made Montoya a top prospect, if he had included it, it would have helped my argument.

As far as using Halak in your argument please do not compare the two, Montoya has played on the YOUNGEST TEAM in the AHL this season. They were attrocious in the beginning of the season and he has carried them ever since. (Hence why he was named player of the month for Feb.)

Halak put up excellent numbers in the A but he only played 28 games, which is not a true measure of consistancy.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
  #66
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
I dont think Montoya is going to make the list personally......hes def behind Harding and Price, Rask, Irving, Bernier, Pogge, I think that if he was not in 26-50 that hes not on the list cuz i dont see him as a top 25.
care to explain why?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
  #67
David A. Rainer
Registered User
 
David A. Rainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Huntington Beach
Country: Italy
Posts: 7,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Probably not at the time of the voting people...

The list will be current as of the time of release.

__________________
Saxon Sports Information and Research
David A. Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
  #68
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,483
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
Did you intentionally leave out the WJC 2004 that was held in Finland where Montoya was named the best goaltender?
well it was to compare them at the same stage of their career .. not previous sucess

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
  #69
Jeepers Creeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
well it was to compare them at the same stage of their career .. not previous sucess
Of course you have to factor in their past accomplishments if you compare their potential. You just cant ignore what Montoya has accomplished in the past.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:37 PM
  #70
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,483
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Of course he left out the WJC that made Montoya a top prospect, if he had included it, it would have helped my argument.

As far as using Halak in your argument please do not compare the two, Montoya has played on the YOUNGEST TEAM in the AHL this season. They were attrocious in the beginning of the season and he has carried them ever since. (Hence why he was named player of the month for Feb.)

Halak put up excellent numbers in the A but he only played 28 games, which is not a true measure of consistancy.
stop making up things ...
Hamilton is younger .. I calculated every player age from both teams..

Hartford:
21
22
24
23
21
29
34
30
23
23
20
25
21
22
20
24
22
27
23
22

AVG: 23.8

Hamilton
25
21
23
26
25
23
24
23
25
22
22
21
28
23
23
23
20
24
24
21
22
22
31

AVG: 23.52

As for Halak:
He played 41 games in the AHL and dominated !
He played 20 games in the ECHK and dominated !


As for Montoya previous stats it is very similar to price..
except montoya played one more WJC than price , and I was compairing their stats at the same age (or stage of developpement if you prefer)

As for potential , I wont try to determine it because it's very subjective.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
  #71
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,483
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
Of course you have to factor in their past accomplishments if you compare their potential. You just cant ignore what Montoya has accomplished in the past.
potential compare with previous accomplishment ... tell that to Roy or Hasek ...
Potential is very subjective !

you guys want previous stats go ahead and post it , it will only show that montoya was better when he was younger , and price too... except for WJC(becaus he only played in 1)..
also it will point out that both were good and no clear cut winner !


Last edited by Jeffrey: 03-15-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:21 PM
  #72
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury
 
Letang fan 58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
care to explain why?
I dont think that HF is going to fit all of those goalies into the top 25..........I think they are going to pick out Price (top 10) Irving (about 15) Harding and Rask (about 20-25) and I think they are going to leave Pogge and Montoya off the list altogether. Has somewhat to do with age, somewhat to do with struggles after a the draft year, and I personally just don't see Montoya as being that great.......he had a real nice world junior tourney and since then has been inconsistent at best.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:35 PM
  #73
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
I dont think Montoya is going to make the list personally......hes def behind Harding and Price, Rask, Irving, Bernier, Pogge, I think that if he was not in 26-50 that hes not on the list cuz i dont see him as a top 25.
well he was on the list last year, and this year he's posted:
GAA W L T SV SV PCT
2.13 20 13 0 790 0.919

for referance, his number from last year in the AHL where:

2.61 23 9 1 889 0.907

And and the 06-07 numbers include the horrific start to the season Montoya (and hartford in general) had, since late december he's been dominant. Since December 22 Montoya's stats are:

1.59 16 3 0 0.937

He was also named goalie of the month in Febuary.

So please tell me what all these younger goalies, none of whome has yet to prove anything as a profesional*, have over Montoya? It's not potential, it's not like Montoya isn't very physically gifted himself.

If these juniors goalies progress the way their organizations hope they do then they will put up the number like Monty has put up this season. But Montoya is already doing it!


*Harding is clearly excluded here, he's a differant story. Though I'd like to point out that his numbers in the AHL this year are very similiar to montoya's:

2.68 29 8 0 1171 0.922

However, Harding's performances in the NHL, while limited, have been pretty lights out, so you've got to put him ahead.


Last edited by xander: 03-15-2007 at 02:50 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
  #74
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
I dont think that HF is going to fit all of those goalies into the top 25..........I think they are going to pick out Price (top 10) Irving (about 15) Harding and Rask (about 20-25) and I think they are going to leave Pogge and Montoya off the list altogether. Has somewhat to do with age, somewhat to do with struggles after a the draft year, and I personally just don't see Montoya as being that great.......he had a real nice world junior tourney and since then has been inconsistent at best.
so great in the AHL would be inconsistent?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
  #75
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
As for Montoya previous stats it is very similar to price..
except montoya played one more WJC than price , and I was compairing their stats at the same age (or stage of developpement if you prefer)

As for potential , I wont try to determine it because it's very subjective.
So the fact that Montoya had his stellar WJC at the age of 18 and Price at the age of 19 somehow hurts Al?

the entire year after he was drafted was poor for Montoya. For whatever reason, he was inconsistent at Michigan and inconsistent at the WJC. But considering the way he's bounced back in the 2 years since (see stats above) I don't think that year has much bearing anymore (seeing as his performance in the years leading up to and following it has been very good.)

For some reason, nobody wants to forgive Montoya for his 04-05 campaign, it keeps getting brought up and his performance over the last two years in a far more difficult league gets ignored.


Last edited by xander: 03-15-2007 at 02:53 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.