HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery part of Nolan's comments on Dipietro injury

Old
03-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Hockeyplayer99

vCash: 500
Avery part of Nolan's comments on Dipietro injury

After turning down interview requests for a few days following a head injury suffered Tuesday night in Montreal, Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro all but admitted the “general body soreness” explanation for his condition is another way of saying minor concussion. DiPietro was uncomfortable because he didn’t want to be in the position of having to issue a series of “no comments” about his status.

“Do you think if I had ‘general body soreness’ I’d be sitting out right now?” DiPietro said at today’s morning skate. “It’s up to the team to tell you.”

Questioned about possible problems with motion, DiPietro said, “You know the answer to that…Do you think I don’t want to play? I want to play, but it’s up to the team.”

Ultimately, DiPietro granted a candid interview that will appear in Sunday’s Newsday in which he discusses his thinking on the play that resulted in his collision with Montreal forward Steve Begin. But tonight, DiPietro will miss his second straight start in favor of backup Mike Dunham against Florida. Coach Ted Nolan indicated hope DiPietro will return Tuesday night at Tampa Bay because there are two days in between to rest and get the practice he would need first.

In Nolan’s view, the injury that put the Islanders’ playoff hopes at risk is as much the fault of Begin as of DiPietro. “He did have a pretty good lane on getting the puck, which he did,” Nolan said of DiPietro. “The player just didn’t jump over him. In this league, you have to do everything in your power to avoid the goaltenders.

“I don’t think [the Rangers’ Sean] Avery listens to that rule. And a couple other players don’t listen to that rule. They bang into goaltenders. [Begin] could have jumped. He’s a seasoned veteran. He’s a fourth-line guy.

“He knew exactly what he was doing: ‘By hitting this goaltender, maybe I can knock him out, and we can get a chance to play in the playoffs.’ It’s one of those things.”

Montreal now is two points out of a playoff spot, while the Rangers and Toronto are one point behind the seventh-place Isles and Carolina for the final berths. Nolan acknowledged DiPietro put himself at risk of an injury when he made the decision to go out almost to his blue line to stop a possible breakaway by Begin, but the coach said he has no intention of telling DiPietro to alter his gambling style.

“Goaltenders do that once in a while,” Nolan said. “If I get in a car accident, maybe I shouldn’t have driven to work that day.”

In other words, it’s the chance you take by playing the game. The problem is that the fallout from an injury to a player as valuable as DiPietro could be enormous. Nolan said there’s “no question” one of the main reasons the Islanders were willing to give up former first-round picks Robert Nilsson and Ryan O’Marra to get veteran forward Ryan Smyth from Edmonton was because management believed DiPietro was playing well enough to carry the Islanders deep into the playoffs if they could just add a little offense.

If DiPietro’s injury lingers and the Islanders don’t make the playoffs and, worse, don’t sign Smyth before he becomes a free agent on July 1, well, it won’t look good at all. The Islanders did almost everything right to position themselves for a playoff push, but now they stand to lose big if DiPietro’s not in goal.

“You can’t control certain things,” Nolan said. Likening the situation to Chris Simon’s suspension and defenseman Radek Martinek’s season-ending broken leg, the coach added, “You can’t control Ricky going down or the unfortunate situation that happened with Simon. Those two things happened. We forget about Martinek being hurt. We lost three of our original six defensemen to start the season off [Martinek to injury, Alexei Zhitnik in a trade and injured Bruno Gervais]. Those aren’t excuses. Those things happen.

“We can’t sit down and feel sorry for ourselves. We have to rebound and get better performances from certain people. If we do that, it has nothing to do with Ryan Smyth, it has nothing to do with Ricky DiPietro being out. It has to do with us playing this game right now.”

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:03 PM
in the hall

i'm getting tired of nolan's *****ing.. but i love avery more for it. way to be in their heads #16

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i'm getting tired of nolan's *****ing
I agree. Wo is him.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Oh, please. Begin injured DiPietro on purpose? It might be plausible if the way the collision happened didn't put Begin's knees in grave danger as well.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i'm getting tired of nolan's *****ing.. but i love avery more for it. way to be in their heads #16
Agreed. The fact that Nolan cries so much makes me root for Avery even more. Do what you do Sean

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:16 PM
BuRe#9

Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. If Di-p wants to go all the way out to the top of the circles he needs to know that other players are skating there.

I don't understand why Nolan is speaking about Avery. I think hes just jealous and wants to talk about Avery cause he thinks Elisha will read and think about him... maybe

BuRe#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:16 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its no surprise that since Simon's slash the Islanders have been in a tailspin. Everything seems to be off-kilter with that team know and it doesnt help that these guys are whining about it. Just play.

It kinda reminds me of when Graves got suspended for the slash that broke Marios wrist - minus the *****ing, complaining and baby talk.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Does he mean 1 goal 3 assists = 4 points Sean Avery?

03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Its no surprise that since Simon's slash the Islanders have been in a tailspin. Everything seems to be off-kilter with that team know and it doesnt help that these guys are whining about it. Just play.

It kinda reminds me of when Graves got suspended for the slash that broke Marios wrist - minus the *****ing, complaining and baby talk.
To be fair the Islanders woes began at the trade deadline....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

I wonder if in Ted Nolan's mind, his players are ever responsible for ANYTHING they do?

Sure seems like Ted has a bunch of innocent, helpless victims on his team; who were minding their own business, when some bully-thug came along and delivered an unwarranted beating.

Poor wittle Islanders. So meek......so abused.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:11 PM
tronylon

Send a message via AIM to tronylon
This makes me feel kind of happy we didn't end up getting Nolan as our head coach.

In previous years, I was really hoping the Rangers would pick this guy up. He did great with Buffalo, and until the last two weeks, seemed to be doing the same with the Fishsticks.

However, from his reputation in Buffalo, and now this, it seems that he just is unable or unwilling to be composed in the public sphere. Obviously he is in a tough position-- but I just don't see what he is accomplishing by his antics w/ the Simon incident, and now with DiPietro.

That is one thing I appreciate about Renney. He seems to handle these types of controversies rather well. Ofcourse, he seemed to have a run-in with the refs earlier in the season; but this has all but died down.

I think these kinds of incidents will erode at Nolan's reputation and soon he will be jobless again. This is just a hunch, and not im not trying to start anything with Isles fans. I feel like his obstinance gets in the way of what can be a great coaching career.

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:20 PM
NYR957
Hagelin's pumped.

Ted Nolan thinks the whole world is out to get him. First bringing up race into his failure to get a coaching job and then saying that the Simon punishment was too harsh and then saying this. I dislike this guy more and more each day.

NYR957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i actually agree w/ Nolan in that Avery WOULDNT try to get out of the way, and you know what, why should he. Its ridiculous that players have to dive out of the way from goalies who are out near the blueline trying to play the puck. They should be fair game if they leave their crease..i know technically they arent, but in my eyes, you leave the crease like that, you pay the price, and if im a coach, thats a penalty im willing to kill (collision with the goalie/goalie interference)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:42 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Oh cry me a freaking river Nolan . Anything to take a shot at Avery.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Oh cry me a freaking river Nolan . Anything to take a shot at Avery.
i dont see how its taking a shot at Avery...i mean, i guess "technically" it is, but all hes saying is...if dipietro was out near the blueline diving to try to play a puck, Avery would try his best to get to the puck first, collision be damned. and thats something i LOVE about Averys game...call it dirty if you want, but if Henrik was out near the blueline w/ the puck, i would expect the other team to take a run at him...as a goalie you have NO business playing the puck that far out, and deserve the contact you are sure to receive.

Old
03-17-2007, 11:49 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i dont see how its taking a shot at Avery...i mean, i guess "technically" it is, but all hes saying is...if dipietro was out near the blueline diving to try to play a puck, Avery would try his best to get to the puck first, collision be damned. and thats something i LOVE about Averys game...call it dirty if you want, but if Henrik was out near the blueline w/ the puck, i would expect the other team to take a run at him...as a goalie you have NO business playing the puck that far out, and deserve the contact you are sure to receive.
ya I love that out of a player too (And that's coming from a goalie myself), but I don't see the need for a comparison for the situation at hand. Begin made the play, so just keep the focus on him. I don't know, I just did not see the point of including Avery in his comments.

Old
03-17-2007, 11:53 PM
philbo

1: This has nothing to do w/ Avery ( Aveyr is an NHL buzz word like T.O. in the NFL)

2: Nolan is a hell of a coach ( trade him in on Renney any day) but shut up already and right your own ship

3: DP proved to me he's a top 5 goalie in this league w/ his performance against the NYR last week. But he had no buisness playing a puck at the blueline.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:56 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
All I see is:

WAH WAH MY GOALIE IS DUMB

WAH WAH PROTECT HIM WHEN HE'S 50 FEET OUT

WAH WAH

Nolan, please go back to wherever you've been the last 6 or 7 years or whatever. You're a pathetic excuse for a coach. You whine more than Lindy Ruff.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 11:58 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
All I see is:

WAH WAH MY GOALIE IS DUMB

WAH WAH PROTECT HIM WHEN HE'S 50 FEET OUT

WAH WAH

Nolan, please go back to wherever you've been the last 6 or 7 years or whatever. You're a pathetic excuse for a coach. You whine more than Lindy Ruff.
lol you forgot WAH WAH My chances of making the playoffs are severely compromised if my goalie can't play for a little while lol

Old
03-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
lol you forgot WAH WAH My chances of making the playoffs are severely compromised if my goalie can't play for a little while lol
just grooming him for the Assistant GM job...

Old
03-18-2007, 12:12 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
just grooming him for the Assistant GM job...
Assistant to the regional GM

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:35 AM
schmieder44

More like assistant to the traveling secretary !

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Well I have nothing new to add, but I will say I too am tired of Nolan's constant *****ing. He needs to get over it; he's crossed the line between sticking up for your team and acting like a little girl too many times recently. Get over it, Teddy.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Absolutely. If Henke did what DP did, and ended up getting hurt, rather than pissing and moaning I'd say "Well ****, what the hell was Henke doing coming out to play a puck like that?" No need to blame Begin, and ABSOLUTELY no reason to mention Avery. Although, I understand it's a rivalry, and I actually enjoy when Islanders players make stupid remarks...

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:47 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Assistant to the regional GM

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote