HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer 07 (all potential free agent and trade discussion go here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Einstein

vCash: 500
Summer 07 (all potential free agent and trade discussion go here)

Hi dudes and dudets.. Greetings from Finland..

I know itís a bit too early because the AVS are in a playoff hunt, but I was wondering about next summer and the FA market (especially the dmen). I think that the AVS should sign a dman, but which one and for how much? Hannan, Hamrlik, Phillips or Salo? A gritty 3rd liner would also be a good addition to the team. What do you think? Who and for how much?

Old
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Hannan and Hartnell would be slick.

Old
03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
SakicAllStar

Hannan for about $5M-5.5M

Old
03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Golden Foppa

Scott Hannan

Old
03-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Horsehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
Hannan and Hartnell would be slick.
QUOTED FOR TRUF!!!

Old
03-16-2007, 02:41 AM
medwards

I would be thrilled if the Avs acquired Hannan or Hamrlik. And to fantasize a little bit (I haven't crunched the approximate salary cap numbers for next year, so hopefully no financial wizards will chew me out), pitching an offer to Drury or Briere would be brilliant. Beyond adding a solid d-man and a solid #2 center, I really like the batch of talent we have to work with.

What would you think of this lineup?

G1 Peter Budaj
G2 Tyler Weiman

D1 Liles/Hannan
D2 Leopold/Skrastins
D3 Klee/ Clark
Other D: Sauer, Finger, Cumiskey

L1 Brunette/Sakic/Svatos
L2 Wolski/Drury/Hejduk
L3 McLean/Stastny/Laperriere
L4 Rycroft/Guite/Parker

Where would Arnason and Richardson fit in if we did acquire a top center? I'd like to see more size up front on the top line. I'd be willing to move Svatos and either Leopold or Liles for a #1 power forward, and to clear up a spot for either Sauer or Finger. I feel both are ready for full time duty. Plus, moving Liles or Leo would ultimately give Cumiskey a chance to play a bit more on injury call up etc.

What would you like the lineup to look like next year?

Old
03-16-2007, 03:43 AM
kenny #9

Budaj
Theodore

Hannan/Liles
Leopold/Skrastins
Clark/Cuminsky
Sauer

Brunette- Sakic -Svatos
Wolski- Stastny - Hejduk
Hartnell - Arnason - Lappy
Rycroft - Richardson - Guite
Parker

Old
03-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny #9 View Post
Budaj
Theodore

Hannan/Liles
Leopold/Skrastins
Clark/Cuminsky
Sauer

Brunette- Sakic -Svatos
Wolski- Stastny - Hejduk
Hartnell - Arnason - Lappy
Rycroft - Richardson - Guite
Parker
I don't think Theo will be back next year and I certainly hope the team is tweaked more than just the addition of Hannan and Hartnell.

Old
03-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Colorado Avalanche

We have had so many threads about this. Why not make one and then post everything there?

Like said in previous threads(what kind of players we need):

Hannan/Phillips
Peca
2-3 liner like Konowalchuk

Old
03-16-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS1819

There is now way Stastny drops to the 3rd line - he is our solid #2 center. If we're going to go after a high-priced top 6 player, the guy who is the best fit is Ryan Smyth to play on a line with Sakic/Brunette. I could see Svatos traded and personally I'd love to see a deal with Edmonton to send them Svatos for Lupul - 2 disappointments who need a change of scenery. We might have to also part with a draft pick to make it happen, but it would be a great deal. Like everyone else, I agree on going after Hannan - you know they've always like him - they were pissed when he got drafted just a couple spots before they were going to take him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medrick View Post
I would be thrilled if the Avs acquired Hannan or Hamrlik. And to fantasize a little bit (I haven't crunched the approximate salary cap numbers for next year, so hopefully no financial wizards will chew me out), pitching an offer to Drury or Briere would be brilliant. Beyond adding a solid d-man and a solid #2 center, I really like the batch of talent we have to work with.

What would you think of this lineup?

G1 Peter Budaj
G2 Tyler Weiman

D1 Liles/Hannan
D2 Leopold/Skrastins
D3 Klee/ Clark
Other D: Sauer, Finger, Cumiskey

L1 Brunette/Sakic/Svatos
L2 Wolski/Drury/Hejduk
L3 McLean/Stastny/Laperriere
L4 Rycroft/Guite/Parker

Where would Arnason and Richardson fit in if we did acquire a top center? I'd like to see more size up front on the top line. I'd be willing to move Svatos and either Leopold or Liles for a #1 power forward, and to clear up a spot for either Sauer or Finger. I feel both are ready for full time duty. Plus, moving Liles or Leo would ultimately give Cumiskey a chance to play a bit more on injury call up etc.

What would you like the lineup to look like next year?

Old
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Hi dudes and dudets.. Greetings from Finland..

I know itís a bit too early because the AVS are in a playoff hunt, but I was wondering about next summer and the FA market (especially the dmen). I think that the AVS should sign a dman, but which one and for how much? Hannan, Hamrlik, Phillips or Salo? A gritty 3rd liner would also be a good addition to the team. What do you think? Who and for how much?
If the Avs wish to continue to build around their younger players, this is probably as good a plan as any. I think the Avs need to improve three positions significantly:

- #1 defenseman. Hannan would be great.

- 3rd line banging defensive center who can win faceoffs.

- Goaltender. Whether it's a bonified #1, or a solid veteran who costs a few $mil less than Theodore.

If Sauer and Vaananen can play like they are right now going forward, the Avs are going to be in good shape. Both of those guys are playing very solid 2nd pairing games, and if that's real, the Avs just had one of their offseason problems solved. I have a feeling the Avs will trade Liles in the offseason...

-AB

Old
03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I have a feeling the Avs will trade Liles in the offseason...

-AB
I've been thinking the same thing.

We need a solid veteran backup for Budaj...or a Veteran starter to take over for Budaj.

A couple solid defensemen (hannan?) and a winger like Ryan Smyth.

However I fully expect the Avs to make a full court press on Drury and Forsberg....especially Forsberg.

Old
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post
I've been thinking the same thing.

We need a solid veteran backup for Budaj...or a Veteran starter to take over for Budaj.

A couple solid defensemen (hannan?) and a winger like Ryan Smyth.

However I fully expect the Avs to make a full court press on Drury and Forsberg....especially Forsberg.
Given Stastny's performance and potential, I don't understand these pickups, particularly Forsberg. If they want to replace Sakic in a year, then yes.

I don't think Drury will play anywhere but the East Coast though...

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 03-16-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old
03-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Given Stastny's performance and potential, I don't understand these pickups, particularly Forsberg. If they want to replace Sakic in a year, then yes.

I don't think Drury will play anywhere but the East Coast though...

Chris
I agree, with the emergence of Stastny we don't need a #2 Center behind Joe. We don't need Foppa or Drury. But I think the Avs will go after both if for nothing else to help boost sales at the team store and at the box office.

I think ultimatly Forsberg re-signs in Philly and Drury does stay back east. But the Avs will no doubt go after both of them hard.

Old
03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
AvsinMass

I estimate we'll have about 16M of cap space after signing Sakic, Svatos, and Leopold. That's a lot of money to spend and I think the bulk of it will come in the form of UFAs. It's hard to say who will be available and interested come July 1, but I'd like to see us address the following needs with the best combination of players available:

- 1st pairing D-man: Hannan, Phillips, Stuart, Hamrlik, A. Markov, Timonen
- 3rd line center: Handzus, Peca, Walz, Primeau, Bonk
- Gritty winger: Hartnell, Smyth, Walker, Freisen, Nilson
- 1B/Back-up Goalie (assuming Theo is bought out): Backstrom, Joseph, Markkanen

Trade avenues should be explored as well, but I'd like to know who'll be available out of that group first.

Last edited by AvsinMass: 03-16-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old
03-16-2007, 12:00 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsinMass View Post
I estimate we'll have about 16M of cap space after signing Sakic, Svatos, and Leopold. That's a lot of money to spend and I think the bulk of it will come in the form of UFAs. It's hard to say who will be available and interested come July 1, but I'd like to see us address the following needs with the best combination of players available:

- 1st pairing D-man: Hannan, Phillips, Stuart, Hamrlik, A. Markov, Timonen
- 3rd line center: Handzus, Peca, Walz, Primeau, Bonk
- Gritty winger: Hartnell, Smyth, Walker, Freisen, Nilson
- 1B/Back-up Goalie (assuming Theo is bought out): Backstrom, Joseph, Markkanen

Trade avenues should be explored as well, but I'd like to know who'll be available out of that group first.
Are you thinking about $10M for Sakic, Svatos, and Leopold?

The $16M number is probably correct, but don't forget, the Avs also need to have 23 skaters (at least) signed. So, even with those three guys on board, the Avs still need to sign two other defensemen (not including UFA Hannan) and 6 or so other forwards (not including the UFA 3rd center).

So, the number for the "big" UFAs, might not be as high as $16M. This all depends on a number of factors, of course - not the least of which is how much the Cap rises, and how willing the Avs are to raise their payroll to meet it.

-AB

Old
03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
and how willing the Avs are to raise their payroll to meet it.
This part had better not be an issue in the slightest. If it is, Kroenke deserves to take major **** from the fans.

Old
03-16-2007, 01:03 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
This part had better not be an issue in the slightest. If it is, Kroenke deserves to take major **** from the fans.
I don't think it will be an issue, but you never know.

-AB

Old
03-16-2007, 01:14 PM
AvsinMass

Quote:
Are you thinking about $10M for Sakic, Svatos, and Leopold?

The $16M number is probably correct, but don't forget, the Avs also need to have 23 skaters (at least) signed. So, even with those three guys on board, the Avs still need to sign two other defensemen (not including UFA Hannan) and 6 or so other forwards (not including the UFA 3rd center).

So, the number for the "big" UFAs, might not be as high as $16M. This all depends on a number of factors, of course - not the least of which is how much the Cap rises, and how willing the Avs are to raise their payroll to meet it.

-AB
Here's my take on next year's salaries:
(bolded are predictions)

Sakic- 5.75
Hejduk- 3.9
Brunette: 1.6
Svatos: 1.25
Wolski: 1
Laperriere: 1 (pick up option)
Stastny: .9
Richardson: .6
McLean: .8
Guite: .8
Rycroft: .7
Rookie Forward: .7

Leopold: 2.5 (multi-year deal)
Skrastins: 2.4
Liles: 1.3
Clark: 1.5
Sauer: 1
Klee/Rookie D-man: .8

Budaj- .7
Theo Buyout- 1.3

Total: 30.5M (for 19 players)
Predicted 07-08 Cap Limit: 47M
Cap Space: 16.5M
Usable Cap Space: 16M (for 4 players)

I'm sure it's not all going to work out quite that precisely, but I think 16M is actually a conservative number to plan on.

Last edited by AvsinMass: 03-16-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old
03-16-2007, 01:22 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
I don't think it will be an issue, but you never know.

-AB
I don't think it will either. My only point is that if it does turn out to be an issue, Kroenke should be horse-whipped. This market has demonstrated that support for basically any payroll is not a problem. The revenue streams--through attendance, lucrative local television contracts, merchandise, etc.--are not an issue here. People in Colorado provide the support... Kroenke had better not fail to reciprocate by not spending up to the cap.

Old
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsinMass View Post
Here's my prediction on next year's salaries:

Sakic- 5.75
Hejduk- 3.9
Brunette: 1.6
Stastny: .9
Wolski: 1
Svatos: 1.25
Laperriere: 1
Richardson: .6
McLean: .8
Guite: .8
Rycroft: .7
Rookie Forward: .7

Leopold: 2.5 (multi-year deal)
Skrastins: 2.4
Liles: 1.3
Clark: 1.5
Sauer: 1
Klee/Rookie D-man: .8

Budaj- .7
Theo Buyout- 1.3

Total: 30.5M (for 19 players)
Predicted 07-08 Cap Limit: 47M
Cap Space: 16.5M
Usable Cap Space: 16M (for 4 players)

I'm sure it's not all going to work out quite that precisely, but I think 16M is actually a conservative number to plan on.
I'll raise Sakic to $6.5M, add Vaananen at $1.3, add one more forward at $800K or so, and then even perhaps a two-way contract or two. That leaves one big name defenseman to sign, one big name forward to sign, and one goaltender to sign - all as FAs. Then, you'd want to leave a couple of $M available in case of injury, keep roster flexibility, etc.

So, having the $3M or so extra that I foresee on the front end, and the $2M or so under the Cap, that really leaves the team $11M to sign three FAs. Still doable, but this is why I questioned the $16M number.

There are a lot of ways this can go, of course, and my numbers aren't necessarily the ones that will come to pass, but there are considerations.

-AB

Old
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
AvsinMass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
I don't think it will either. My only point is that if it does turn out to be an issue, Kroenke should be horse-whipped. This market has demonstrated that support for basically any payroll is not a problem. The revenue streams--through attendance, lucrative local television contracts, merchandise, etc.--are not an issue here. People in Colorado provide the support... Kroenke had better not fail to reciprocate by not spending up to the cap.
No denying that.

Old
03-16-2007, 01:34 PM
medwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS1819 View Post
There is now way Stastny drops to the 3rd line - he is our solid #2 center. If we're going to go after a high-priced top 6 player, the guy who is the best fit is Ryan Smyth to play on a line with Sakic/Brunette. I could see Svatos traded and personally I'd love to see a deal with Edmonton to send them Svatos for Lupul - 2 disappointments who need a change of scenery. We might have to also part with a draft pick to make it happen, but it would be a great deal. Like everyone else, I agree on going after Hannan - you know they've always like him - they were pissed when he got drafted just a couple spots before they were going to take him.
I fully concur. I was just plopping down a rough idea of what might happen if we somehow got Drury back. Now though, after reading some of the other responses, I'd be all for going after someone like Ryan Smyth instead of another center. I prioritize our needs as follows:

1. Physical defenseman (Hannan or Hamrlik)
2. Gritty two-way winger (Smyth)
3. Backup or a 1A goaltender (Backstrom)

Old
03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
AvsinMass

Quote:
I'll raise Sakic to $6.5M, add Vaananen at $1.3, add one more forward at $800K or so, and then even perhaps a two-way contract or two. That leaves one big name defenseman to sign, one big name forward to sign, and one goaltender to sign - all as FAs. Then, you'd want to leave a couple of $M available in case of injury, keep roster flexibility, etc.

So, having the $3M or so extra that I foresee on the front end, and the $2M or so under the Cap, that really leaves the team $11M to sign three FAs. Still doable, but this is why I questioned the $16M number.

There are a lot of ways this can go, of course, and my numbers aren't necessarily the ones that will come to pass, but there are considerations.

-AB
I doubt Sakic gets a raise but we'll see.

You make a good point about leaving a bigger cap buffer. If we leave 2M of space at the beggining of the year, we could forseeably trade for an 8M player by the trade deadline due to the prorated cap system We may not neccessarily want to do that, but any cap flexibility we give ourselves early on would only grow as the season progressed.

Another thought is that there may be another NJ/Malakov situation brewing somewhere. If we run out of good UFA options and still have a lot of cap space left, we could take on someone elses mistake for a 1st rounder. As long as it's not a player who could sour the room (ala Samsonov) then it might be worth it.

Old
03-16-2007, 02:18 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

once again, this is how i think the lines should look

wolski - sakic - svatos
brunette - stastny - hejduk
hartnell - richardson - axelsson
guite - hensick/stoa/f.a. 4th c - lappy
parker - rookie callup - rookie callup

hannan - leopold
liles - sarich
skrastins - vaananen
finger - cumisky

budaj
1a goalie (haven't really made a definitive pick of who I want yet)

- let rycroft, mclean, klee, sauer, laaksonen walk
- buy out theodore
- use combo of Clark, midlevel propsect, pick for Axelsson (I'm absolutely hell bent on getting Axelsson in an Avs uniform)

Closed Thread