HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grigs ends season on a high note = sort of.

Old
03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
TRVIPERS

vCash: 500
Grigs ends season on a high note = sort of.

Igor Grigorenko did what he could to keep Lada alive in the Russian Superleague playoffs. After missing the first playoff game against CSKA, which Lada lost 4 -1, he came back in the 2nd game and scored a goal and added an assist. He was named 3rd star, however it wasnít enough as Lada lost again, this time 5 - 4. In game 3, Grigs scored a power play goal to give Lada a 3-2 lead, but then Alexander Nikulin (Ottawa Senators), scored twice, once on the powerplay to tie the game and then at a 1:38 of overtime to clinch the quarterfinals spot for CSKA.

I wonder if there is any possibilty that he will be coming to Detroit to view the rest of the season and the playoffs? Didnít he come over a few years back before his accident?

I sure hope all goes well and we get to see him play here next year, cuz it sure seems like we have been waiting forever.

TRVIPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2007, 09:35 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRVIPERS View Post
Igor Grigorenko did what he could to keep Lada alive in the Russian Superleague playoffs. After missing the first playoff game against CSKA, which Lada lost 4 -1, he came back in the 2nd game and scored a goal and added an assist. He was named 3rd star, however it wasnít enough as Lada lost again, this time 5 - 4. In game 3, Grigs scored a power play goal to give Lada a 3-2 lead, but then Alexander Nikulin (Ottawa Senators), scored twice, once on the powerplay to tie the game and then at a 1:38 of overtime to clinch the quarterfinals spot for CSKA.

I wonder if there is any possibilty that he will be coming to Detroit to view the rest of the season and the playoffs? Didnít he come over a few years back before his accident?

I sure hope all goes well and we get to see him play here next year, cuz it sure seems like we have been waiting forever.
I believe he came over for rookie training came 2 maybe 3 years ago now....would be nice to see him over here watching the playoffs.....our deadline to sign him is in June correct?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 06:57 AM
L A D A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin View Post
I believe he came over for rookie training came 2 maybe 3 years ago now....would be nice to see him over here watching the playoffs.....our deadline to sign him is in June correct?
Nyet.
Due to the absense of a transfer agreement, teams hold Russian players rights indefinitely...or so I've been told.

L A D A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
BTCG

My question is this:

Is the guy a 2-way player...or is he Ovechkin/Semin-like...meaning that he'll stand around and watch when the puck is in our zone like those 2 do?

Anybody know anything about the guy?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 10:42 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L A D A View Post
Nyet.
Due to the absense of a transfer agreement, teams hold Russian players rights indefinitely...or so I've been told.
No, he did come to rookie training camp a few years back....not under contract , but he was there. He didn't participate though. Does the trasfer agreement matter now in his case since he will be a free agent in Russia?

Old
03-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Fugu

vCash:
I don't think it is an issue of whether or not Grigs can play for the Wings as far as Russia is concerned, but how long they retain exclusive rights before other NHL teams can approach him. This was due to expire by June, thus if the Wings want to keep Grigorenko, they have until the summer to sign him.

He may be a carryover from the terms of the old CBA at the time he was drafted. I believe that players drafted from Europe and the NCAA have different time lines as far as a team's exclusive retention rights under the new CBA. It's all spelled out in the new CBA as well, but I don't have the time to find the right article right now.

Old
03-16-2007, 11:13 AM
MotownMadman

Does anyone have any insight into whether Grigs is actually motivated to make the jump over the pond?

He's 24 and is just making his way back to where he was projected to be at. I figure the longer he stays in Russia, the less his motivation will be to come to North America because of the changes necessary for his life and that he may not see a big pay off (particularly with some Russian players being paid rather handsomely now). I've felt for the past couple seasons that we're losing Grigorenko.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 11:59 AM
winged wheel

Holland sounds optimistic about signing Grigorenko according to today's milive.com article.

Quote:
Wings general manager Ken Holland said he speaks to Mark Lapush, the agent for prospect Igor Grigorenko, on a weekly basis and has talked to him several times in the last few days. Grigorenko's contact with Russian Superleague club Lada Togliatti expires at the end of June and the Wings would like to sign the soon-to-be 24-year-old forward, their top selection in the 2001 entry draft (62nd overall), this summer.

"I've had a lot of positive conversations with his agent,'' Holland said. "I'm hopeful and optimistic that he'll sign and play in North America next season, but I'm sure the Russian teams will make offers.''

Holland said the Wings hold Grigorenko's NHL rights indefinitely because there's still no transfer agreement between the league and the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Grigorenko, a 5-foot-10, 203-pound winger, is in his third full season after recovering from multiple fractures in his left leg sustained in a near-fatal car accident in May 2003.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/storie...630.xml&coll=1

winged wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2007, 04:19 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged wheel View Post
Holland sounds optimistic about signing Grigorenko according to today's milive.com article.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/storie...630.xml&coll=1
Thanks for the article....just don't like that but that Holland put in there about the other Russian teams making an offer.