HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT: Oilers @ Ducks--Dec 14th 2003

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 03:37 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 500
just started listening to the game, am i missing much other than the score.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Silver

It's been a decent game to watch so far.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Silver

Brewer throws it toward the net, Horcoff kicks it to the front of the net, and it goes off of Giguere...they are reviewing it.

I don't know if it will count or not. Looks like it went off Salei's skate first, so I think it should count.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Silver

Whoa, no goal. I'd like to hear that one explained to me by someone in the know. Looks like a bad call there.

We have a powerplay coming up now though.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:45 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

thanks silver sounds like a bad call.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:46 PM
windowlicker

the Horcoff goal should have 100% been a goal... that was probably the biggest bull$hit call i have seen in a long time................. im a little speechless.. even the anaheim announcers were saying its a goal without a doubt

Old
12-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Silver

Our powerplay is such a mess. I have no idea what the units are supposed to be, it changes every powerplay. Any chance MacT can turn off the blender for a game or two and get a couple of set units working together?

All I want for Christmas...

Old
12-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
thanks silver sounds like a bad call.
Terrible call. Horcoff did kick it, but it definitely went off of Salei's skate before it ended up in the net. Should have counted.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Allan

Sounded like a perfectly good call to me. Rod and Morley say that they saw Horcoff kick it very clearly (and both agree that it was a good call). If there was a kicking motion, and it didn't touch a stick on the way in, it's not a goal. It doesn't matter if it deflected off of someone else on the way in.

Rule 57
d)... The goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been intentionally kicked with his skate or foot, using a distinct kicking motion, and subsequently enters the net.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:51 PM
DaveONE

that goal should of counted.. someone must of payed off the refs

Old
12-14-2003, 03:51 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

between bad reffing,goals called back, pathetic pk and pp, and lapses of concentration this team just cannot catch a break. then again they are young but three pps in the first and no goal, absolutely brutal.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveONE
that goal should of counted.. someone must of payed off the refs
Read the rule book before you whine about the refereeing. That was called right, to the word. Rule 57.

Old
windowlicker

that dissallowed goal is really burning me up. theres No way that doesnt count, the rules are specific, and they should be followed. If i was Mac't, i would reserve about 4,000$ for my own xmas gift and just RIP into the video booth crew after this one.

I mean, again.. the Oil is dominating, outshooting, and this time actually outscoring someone,, yet this game is one bounce away from being "crap.. hope we can comeback from one goal down again".

Im just really steamed about that call...... it was a goal by all definitions.

Old
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Sounded like a perfectly good call to me. Rod and Morley say that they saw Horcoff kick it very clearly (and both agree that it was a good call). If there was a kicking motion, and it didn't touch a stick on the way in, it's not a goal. It doesn't matter if it deflected off of someone else on the way in.

Rule 57
d)... The goal shall not be allowed if the puck has been intentionally kicked with his skate or foot, using a distinct kicking motion, and subsequently enters the net.
Yeah, but it didn't go into the net due to the kick, it went in because it went of the Duck defenceman's skate. If the puck didn't hit Salei, it would have gone right through the crease and out the other side.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:55 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Read the rule book before you whine about the refereeing. That was called right, to the word. Rule 57.
there can be a kicking motion as long as it touches another solid object before going in. i seem to remember seeing Hull on some Det PP making some nice soccer passses.

Old
Silver

Quote:
Did you see it, or just hear it on the radio?

Horcoff kicked it across the front of the crease, then it deflects of Salei's toe and goes in. The fact that it was a kick is irrelevant, because it didn't go in off of Horcoff, it went in off of Salei.

Old
Allan

I know. But Horcoff did kick it, and it did subsequently end up in the net, and that's all the rule book said. Unless Salei intentionally kicked it in, it can't count. The rule is based on the last player to intentionally direct the puck, and I don't think Salei did that.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Silver

By that logic you could never kick a pass then either, because it subsequently enters the net. Kicking the puck isn't like a glove pass or a high stick, the play doesn't get whistled down when you do it.

If the puck goes in off a Duck and it hasn't been touched by a high stick or gloved by an Oiler player, I don't see how you can call it off.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:59 PM
sidelines

vCash:
Watching the game on PPV, and just noticed some things in the first period.

First off, Chistov sucks in his own end. Theres no other way to put it. Ok, first off he did a good job of coming back and taking Dvorak. But Dvoraks not his man. Hes a winger and needs to be covering his d-man. So once D-vo goes behind the net, Chistov moves out front and stands there. Everyone has there man tied up, but Chistov is just standing in front of the net doing nothing. So, Cross skates in and bam, 1-1 game. The announcers also mentioned he's a -9 this year and 8 of his 11 points have come on the powerplay. Another thing, Bell Express Vu is screwed. It wouldn't showed me the event ID until the game started, and I had to order it on channel 718 unstead of 421.. It's good to see Hemsky getting lots of PP time. Conklin looks good, that goal was a fluke. Hopefully the Oil will have a strong second period and get a win.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:59 PM
windowlicker

all this yapping changes nothing though. Although I did like what I saw in that first. Right now I see this as a close win for the Oil ... 2-1 or 3-2.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
By that logic you could never kick a pass then either, because it subsequently enters the net. Kicking the puck isn't like a glove pass or a high stick, the play doesn't get whistled down when you do it.
I don't follow you. If you kick a pass, and nobody shoots it, then there's no goal, so there's no problem. If you kick an pass, and someone shoots it into the net, somebody else has touched it, so there's also no problem. If you kick a pass, and it goes into the net, it wasn't really a pass, it was a kicked shot, so no goal.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Silver

Quote:
I don't follow you. If you kick a pass, and nobody shoots it, then there's no goal, so there's no problem. If you kick an pass, and someone shoots it into the net, somebody else has touched it, so there's also no problem. If you kick a pass, and it goes into the net, it wasn't really a pass, it was a kicked shot, so no goal.
Dammit, looks like we are eating crow and Allan is correct.

Rule 70:

(b) A puck that deflects into the net off of an attacking player who does not use a distinct kicking motion, is a legitimate goal.

(NOTE) The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:

1. A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled NO GOAL.
2. A kicked puck that deflects off ANY stick (excluding the goalkeeper's stick) shall be ruled a GOOD GOAL. After the puck has been kicked, makes contact with any stick and then deflects off any player (excluding the goalkeeper) and into the net will still be ruled a GOOD GOAL.
3. The player who kicks the puck and has the puck deflect off his OWN stick and then into the net, this will be ruled a GOOD GOAL.

The Anaheim color guys didn't get that one right either, they thought it should have counted

My apologies Allan.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Allan

Quote:
the puck goes in off a Duck and it hasn't been touched by a high stick or gloved by an Oiler player, I don't see how you can call it off.
Sorry, missed the second part. The rule about a puck directed into the net by a kick doesn't say "directly into the net", unfortunately. I don't agree, either, but that's the rule. Also 70a covers this even more clearly than 57d

(a) Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or Official.

Like the rule or not, it's pretty clear. Too bad for Horcoff.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Allan

Quote:
My apologies Allan.
Quite alright. Sorry to double the post about the second rule. I was having some trouble with this one, too, because in the Hockey Canada rule book, which I am far more used to (I'm a referee myself), that rule doesn't exist. You have to kick the puck directly in, which makes far more sense to me.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Silver

Quote:
Quite alright. Sorry to double the post about the second rule. I was having some trouble with this one, too, because in the Hockey Canada rule book, which I am far more used to (I'm a referee myself), that rule doesn't exist. You have to kick the puck directly in, which makes far more sense to me.
So can I start complaining about the stupid rule now?

Whew, their goon almost scored on us! Yikes.

Closed Thread