HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign Jason Strudwick

Old
03-17-2007, 01:47 PM
SML

vCash: 500
I truly think most of you really forgot how bad a defensman this guy is.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 01:57 PM
westley23j

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
rangers disappoint me.. give baranka a shot
agreed

westley23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
You knew calling up the kids would only last so long.. Glenny wants some age there for this playoff push... not suprizing...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 07:06 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
He had a career year last year, which Shocked me & I was the first to acknowledge that, But we need some experiance back there.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Every other place Sturdwick played he was a REALLY bad defenseman but in the Raners system he was decent......

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2007, 07:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Every other place Sturdwick played he was a REALLY bad defenseman but in the Raners system he was decent......
I remember how bad he was, thats why I was so stunned how well he played last year, & I was not stunned when he did not get a contract @ the NHL level in the off season, But in reality, how many qulaified EXPERIANCE Defense men are out there.
I really have no prolbems with the signing, he played he last year, he knows the system & he excelled in it so theres no reason tho think he wont continue @ that pace, at least for the short term.

Old
03-17-2007, 07:25 PM
The Thomas J.*

BTW we can change the thread to Rangers SIGNED strudwick

Old
03-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Fletch

I liked Strudwick...

he was a good 7th defenseman. We shall see if he gets much playing time though. Could be an insurance policy as the Rangers have three yoots on 'D' with less than one year experience and Renney obviousl has very little confidence in Liffiton - which puts undue stress on players like Rozsival (30 minutes last night) which will be a disaster down the stretch.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 05:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers aren't convinced Jason Strudwick will clear waivers.That is according to Scotty Morrison on Satellite Hotstove from last night

Edmonton could claim him.They only have 5 healthy defensemen which includes a forward playing defense and lost Ladi Smid last night which now makes 4 D

Quote:
Another option is to claim Jason Strudwick, who played the season at Lugano, Switzerland, off waivers from the New York Rangers
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5-afe2a121b638

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:39 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers aren't convinced Jason Strudwick will clear waivers.That is according to Scotty Morrison on Satellite Hotstove from last night

Edmonton could claim him.They only have 5 healthy defensemen which includes a forward playing defense and lost Ladi Smid last night which now makes 4 D

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5-afe2a121b638
Wonder if the good will the two organizations have towards one another won't factor in here and Lowe allows Strudwick to go to the Rangers for the end of the season...

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:14 AM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
rangers disappoint me.. give baranka a shot
BTW, Baranka is hurt. Didn't play for the Pack on Saturday.

You always want to carry 7 D just in case someone can't go at the last minute and there's no time for a call up.Rangers have been lucky so far, but they are going to get burned if they keep going with 6.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Wonder if the good will the two organizations have towards one another won't factor in here and Lowe allows Strudwick to go to the Rangers for the end of the season...
What if some other team claims Strudwick.Like the Islanders.Strudwick is signed for the rest of this season at a pro-rated salary.The team is only responsible for the 20 remaining days in the NHL season starting tomorrow

Old
03-18-2007, 07:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Rangers signed veteran defenseman Jason Strudwick to a contract for the remainder of the season but he'll have to clear waivers that expire tomorrow. Every other club in the league will be able to make a claim on him before he can join the club
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03182007...rry_brooks.htm

Old
03-18-2007, 08:14 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
What if some other team claims Strudwick.Like the Islanders.Strudwick is signed for the rest of this season at a pro-rated salary.The team is only responsible for the 20 remaining days in the NHL season starting tomorrow
Oh no, I understand, but was just wondering whether Lowe would not do it to give NYR an opportunity to bring him in, despite the fact 28 other squads would have a shot

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:56 AM
bubba5

Why does the oilers want him, they are not going to make the playoffs.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Why does the oilers want him, they are not going to make the playoffs.
Edmonton doesn't have enough healthy defensemen in their organization to dress

Even if the Rangers make the playoffs and Strudwick clears waivers,Strudwick isn't eligible to play in the playoffs for the Rangers

Old
03-18-2007, 10:59 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Edmonton doesn't have enough healthy defensemen in their organization to dress

Even if the Rangers make the playoffs and Strudwick clears waivers,Strudwick isn't eligible to play in the playoffs for the Rangers
They can just bring somebody up, anybody!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
NYROrtsFan

STrudwick was pretty good last year... Have no problem with him. Sports a lot of times are won with character over any type of ability you see on paper. Example being that the Rangers record with Strudwick in the lineup was VERY good last year. Some players just seem to have positive impact.

Strudwick did a nice job last season and is the perfect type of signing imo. Reliable guy, good in the lockerroom and knows most of the guys on the team. As well as knowing the system.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:17 AM
snowcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Maybe they're trying to bring in Strudwick instead of calling up Baranka because Hartford is depleted enough already? And Strudwick has NHL experience and is a known quantity based on what he did for the Rangers last year.
That's a good point. Probably right.
Don't worry about Struds' slow skating. He can throw the body to make up for it and help slow down the other team. I think he'd be a nice addition for the stretch run here.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:50 AM
paintballruler*

MOST PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT HE WILL ONLY PLAY THE LAST 10 GAMES OF THE SEASON .......IF HE CLEARS WAVIERS

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Strudwick wouldn't be a bad signing at all.

He played alright over here in Switzerland. I guess many people wouldn't want him back because he's not an offensive dynamo like Tärnström. At the same time, these people forget that Tärnström is also a huge defensive liability...

For Lugano, Struds plays played smart positional and disciplined hockey on most nights.

I've always seen him as a sixth defenseman in the NHL. Unlike some other guys, he doesn't try to do the fancy things not capable of...

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Ola

There is a simple reason for why we want Struds, we could easily loose two D's next week. Loosing 2 D's in one week late in the season aren't that unusual.

Our HFD kids have had a tough seasons too, Baranka is currently out.

We got nothing to loose getting Struds, and he provides some insurance.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I like this move. Strudwick was very solid last year in my opinion - just went out and did his business and got a few goals when needed (like Opening Night in Philly in 05). With the injuries on defense, it doesn't hurt to have some depth.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 01:07 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
he was a good 7th defenseman. We shall see if he gets much playing time though. Could be an insurance policy as the Rangers have three yoots on 'D' with less than one year experience and Renney obviousl has very little confidence in Liffiton - which puts undue stress on players like Rozsival (30 minutes last night) which will be a disaster down the stretch.
The Rangers have given up one goal with Liffiton in the lineup. At this point, it would be unfair to Liffiton to get shoved aside so that a career 7th defenseman can play. What are we really saying to him? For my taste, Liffiton started kind of slowly, but but has improve since the first period in Atlanta. Can Strudwick really do better? I would rather see Baranka get the shot ahead of him.

But, again, one goal allowed with Liffiton in the lineup. How much improvement could Strudwick make?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The Rangers have given up one goal with Liffiton in the lineup. At this point, it would be unfair to Liffiton to get shoved aside so that a career 7th defenseman can play.
Since when did this become about what's fair to Liffiton? This isn't Romper Room. It's a professional ballclub.

Besides, Liffiton hasn't been up here long enough to be video undressed by enemy teams yet. We don't know how well he'll do next week. How many forwards have you seen be hot their first 5 games before fading into obscurity once opposing coaches understood what his weaknesses are. Why is it different for D-men?

If the Rangers were not in a playoff hunt, then the bit about Strudwick would not have happened and the kids would surely play.

But Slats owes something to the rest of the team to do whatever he can to buttress their chances.

This is not about showcasing the kids for your entertainment or their development. Not when you're battling for the playoffs and so much is at stake.

This is about fairness to the other players who have performed outstandingly in the face of many injuries.

Would Henke prefer Liffiton in front of him or Jason Strudwick given what's at stake?

I suggest you consult Henrik before you moan about how Strudwick hurts Liffiton's career by (gasp!) delaying it until October.

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote