HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Sign Jason Strudwick

Old
03-18-2007, 03:47 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
Since when did this become about what's fair to Liffiton? This isn't Romper Room. It's a professional ballclub.
And as such, I suggest that Strudwick may not offer more than what Liffiton does, and quite possibl, less.
Quote:
Besides, Liffiton hasn't been up here long enough to be video undressed by enemy teams yet. We don't know how well he'll do next week.
I am more than willing to take that chance. I KNOW what Strudwick brings to the table and how often he can get "undressed". I am more than willing to find out if Liffiton can do better (which, IMO, is likely).
Quote:
If the Rangers were not in a playoff hunt, then the bit about Strudwick would not have happened and the kids would surely play.
Playoff hunt or not, Strudwick is at best a 7th defenseman. I would like to think that Liffiton can, at a minimum, match that.
Quote:
But Slats owes something to the rest of the team to do whatever he can to buttress their chances.
Again, what he owes is the best chance to win. I am not sure that Strudwick is that option.
Quote:
Would Henke prefer Liffiton in front of him or Jason Strudwick given what's at stake?
I am guessing that you know the answer, personally.
Quote:
I suggest you consult Henrik before you moan about how Strudwick hurts Liffiton's career by (gasp!) delaying it until October.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do just that. However, prior to me actually speding quality time with Henke, can you show me where I talk about Liffiton's career being hurt?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Janerixon

I have no problem with this signing, i just hope the oilers or a team like the isles don't just take him to prevent us from getting some much needed help.

liffiton is not going to get a ton of ice in a 2-2 game in the last ten minutes with our playoff chances on the line, however renney will have no problem giving struds some of that load and im fine with that because id rather see struds log 2-3 minutes of that time than see rozsival and malik bothget overplayed

we can't wear these guys out, struds knows our system and is a more than capable 6th d-man until toots comes back, i just hope he clears waivers

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The Rangers have given up one goal with Liffiton in the lineup. At this point, it would be unfair to Liffiton to get shoved aside so that a career 7th defenseman can play. What are we really saying to him? For my taste, Liffiton started kind of slowly, but but has improve since the first period in Atlanta. Can Strudwick really do better? I would rather see Baranka get the shot ahead of him.

But, again, one goal allowed with Liffiton in the lineup. How much improvement could Strudwick make?

I hope Liffiton doesn't sit, he does everything that Strudwick does but better. I really liked what I have seen in Liffiton, I mean he's not flashy or anything but he just goes out, keeps it simple and gets the job done.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
the future comes one day at a time. if Strudwick represents a better chance at making the playoff, which he definetly does IMO, you just do it. some of you want to be absolutely drowning in "the future".

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Dis-ir-regardless whether you believe I speak personally with certain players (which ones - and in what language - are none of your business) all you need to do is consider that Glen Sather undisputably does. And it was his decision to pursue Jason Strudwick.

Game. Set. Match.

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 05:17 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
Game. Set. Match.
What on Earth are you talking about?
Quote:
Dis-ir-regardless whether you believe I speak personally with certain players (which ones - and in what language - are none of your business) all you need to do is consider that Glen Sather undisputably does. And it was his decision to pursue Jason Strudwick.
I have no doubt that you have your sources. And I fully well know what Sather does and how Renney's preference for the safe, very much limited player, rather than a youngster. All I am stating is that, IMO, Strudwick is not really an upgrade to Liffiton. Strudwick is a 7th defenseman, at best. That is all.

Old
03-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Rodent

Quote:
What on Earth are you talking about?
I interpreted your words as being sarcastic rather than literal. If you were being genuine then I was out of line and I apologize.

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
devilsfan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I hope Liffiton doesn't sit, he does everything that Strudwick does but better. I really liked what I have seen in Liffiton, I mean he's not flashy or anything but he just goes out, keeps it simple and gets the job done.
i think liffiton will still start and strudwick will ride the pine as the 7th d-man

devilsfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Fletch

In the end...

it's about trust and depth. Liffiton has had an up and down season. He plays a 7 minutes in an NHL game then 15 in an blowout - if he comes up lame in the next couple, something he's done in the AHL a few times this year, Renney would like a backup. Strudwick is not ideal, but he did just fine when playerd in a limited capacity and you know what you'll get each night.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Strudwick is not ideal, but he did just fine when playerd in a limited capacity and you know what you'll get each night.
I am not disagreeing with that assessment, Fletch. However, I would just be very dissapointed if Strudwick was in the starting lineup automatically on Monday night, instead of Liffiton. As insurance (aka a 7th defenseman), Strudwick is fine. But, after allowing one goal in the two games that Liffiton has played, there is no point to automatically insert him into the lineup.

Old
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Fletch

I do agree with that, however...

Strudwick needs to get into game shape too if he's going to be a reliable insurance policy. He'll have to get into a couple games to be effective - I think that would be fair to the team. I do hope that guys like Pock, Girardi and Liffiton do get a chance to prove themselves and stick though - Pock and Girardi have earned that right over the course of the season, and Liffiton deserves to at least earn that right.

Old
03-18-2007, 07:47 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Strudwick needs to get into game shape too if he's going to be a reliable insurance policy. He'll have to get into a couple games to be effective - I think that would be fair to the team. I do hope that guys like Pock, Girardi and Liffiton do get a chance to prove themselves and stick though - Pock and Girardi have earned that right over the course of the season, and Liffiton deserves to at least earn that right.
Well, his season just wrapped up so I don't think he's out of shape.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
I am not disagreeing with that assessment, Fletch. However, I would just be very dissapointed if Strudwick was in the starting lineup automatically on Monday night, instead of Liffiton. As insurance (aka a 7th defenseman), Strudwick is fine. But, after allowing one goal in the two games that Liffiton has played, there is no point to automatically insert him into the lineup.
well it's two goals, and I doubt that Liffiton's combined 20 minutes are the reason for it.

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Fletch

I'm talking...

NHL shape...the game's a bit different than Switzerland, as we all know. It's better than coming straight off the beach, but he still needs a game or two to re-adjust to the NHL speed.

Old
03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
NHL shape...the game's a bit different than Switzerland, as we all know. It's better than coming straight off the beach, but he still needs a game or two to re-adjust to the NHL speed.
Agreed.

Also, would rather see him return against Philly then Pittsburgh. Crosby, Staal, Malkin and Recchi are not exactly the forwards you want to play against when trying to re-adjust to NHL gameplay/speed.

Last edited by nyranger61494: 03-18-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old
03-18-2007, 08:42 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
And as such, I suggest that Strudwick may not offer more than what Liffiton does, and quite possibl, less.

I am more than willing to take that chance. I KNOW what Strudwick brings to the table and how often he can get "undressed". I am more than willing to find out if Liffiton can do better (which, IMO, is likely).

Playoff hunt or not, Strudwick is at best a 7th defenseman. I would like to think that Liffiton can, at a minimum, match that.

Again, what he owes is the best chance to win. I am not sure that Strudwick is that option.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do just that. However, prior to me actually speding quality time with Henke, can you show me where I talk about Liffiton's career being hurt?
TB, the reality is that we are down to 3 NHL Dmen. At some point the inexperience is going to show. This move is a safety net move. Signing Strudwick is not going to retard Liffiton's development and it is not going to send him in message. The facts are that he would not have been called up if not for the fact that our D was racked by injuries. Playing D in the NHL is extremely hard. This is just another example of why experienced NHL Dman carry such a premium come trade deadline.

As Ro points out this is about what is in the best interest of the team. At this point in time the right call is to bring in an experienced hand. Down the road Liffiton may show to be a better NHL Dman than Strudwick. I've touted Liffiton for a long time, even when some on here mocked me about it. Liffiton will get his shot as will all the kids, but this is about what is best for the organization right at this moment.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Block More Shots

I don't mind the signing at all. I thought Struds did fine with us last year. Good team guy, willing to stand up for his teammates.

With all of our injuries on the blueline, it's a smart move. It's only for another 10 games, who cares?

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:33 PM
bmoak

Why I don't mind this, even though I am not a big Strudwick fan and would rather see Liffiton play.

1) Need 7 D down the stretch. What if someone gets hurt in practice and there's no time to get a replacement before the game starts?

2) Defenseman injuries tend to happen in clusters. Look a Edmonton; they might just claim Strudwick since they don't have 6 healthy defensemen to dress (and it looks like they just lost Smid for a few games, too). The Rangers could easily lose a defenseman on Monday and a defenseman on Wednesday. What do you do then? Baranka, Richter, and Kasparaitus are injured, so that leaves Lampman, Taylor, and Pikkarainen as the D left in the organization with NHL contracts.

bmoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Edge

4 pages on a guy who is likely a 7th defenseman at worst a 6th defenseman for right now.

Liffiton has the inside track, but we're not talking about a top defensive prospect here. The guy has been pretty average at the AHL, personally I don't mind having an insurance policy in place just incase he turns back into...well... David Liffiton.

As for Baranka, he is hurt...again....

This is a move done because of injuries fellas, the Rangers did not make this move because Jason Strudwick is going to get them over the top. This is just a bandaid/insurance move.

Nothing more and let's leave it at that.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:06 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
4 pages on a guy who is likely a 7th defenseman at worst a 6th defenseman for right now.
You're surprised? This is the same forum that discussed Colton Orr earlier in the year like he was breaking Gretzky's records. Oh, no. Have I done it? Have I touched off the Orr firestorm and now millions of threads will pop up?

Old
03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Has Strudwick passed waiverS?

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Agreed.

Also, would rather see him return against Philly then Pittsburgh. Crosby, Staal, Malkin and Recchi are not exactly the forwards you want to play against when trying to re-adjust to NHL gameplay/speed.
Ahhh play him against the Pens, straight into the Belly of the beast thats what I always say!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
Has Strudwick passed waiverS?
Will know in about 12 hours

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:33 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I bet ya Nolan claims him just to tick off the Rangers... not that I'd care.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Defenseman Dave Liffiton will return to Hartford if Jason Strudwick clears waivers today after being signed by the Rangers. Strudwick, drafted by the Islanders in 1994, has played in 428 NHL games.
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...adlines-hockey

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote