HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting started

Old
03-31-2007, 04:51 AM
gobolt7

vCash: 500
Getting started

I know you guys probobly see a ton of threads like this, but my situation is a bit different. I really want to play ice hockey. I have no skating ability at all, and I have never played hockey outside of elementary school PE class and shooting in my driveway as a kid.() I am in horrible shape as I am recovering from some recent health issues. Where do I go from here? What is the best thing to do to get me started?

gobolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 05:30 AM
Puckboy

Find a learn to skate program in your area. Most important part of hockey is being able to skate. Work on puck control and shooting in the driveway. Might note be a bad idea to get a pair of inline skates also.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 01:56 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Open skate, open skate and more open skate. It will help you get the basics down while also being an excellent form of aerobic exercise to help you get into playing shape. Also, do a few open skates just on rentals and determine your determination to stay with hockey. If you feel your truly committed, go out and buy yourself a pair of your own skates. Looking for last year's top end model usually leads to a very good deal and you can usually get excellent clearance prices. Also, it takes time, lots of time to truly excel.

Private lessons are something I'd encourage, they've helped me tremendously. You can only learn so much on your own.

P.S. If you do have health problems, make sure you consult your doctor before playing, as a just in caser.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:04 PM
frito

I echo the learn to askate program. Private lessons are great but I think you get more benefit from them after you've been through a couple learn to skate sessions. It will also be cheaper to take the group lessson starting out.

As you consult your doctor, I would also suggest starting an exercise program before you actually play, one that concentrates on cardiovascular conditioning and leg and core strength.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Keetz

Great advice here. Where you at? The level of beginner leagues varies from place to place. Learning to skate can be painfull and embarrasing but get over it. knee pads are a must because you learn better with no fear of eating it. Elbow pads even. Anyway think about how much the pros bend their knees. thats because they are keeping their center of gravity low, helping balance. Good luck. I could skate a bit when I started as an adult and get better every game. keep a learning attitude from this point on. Your never going to think your ready so just bite the bullet and do it!

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote