HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trent Hunter

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 06:43 AM
Islanders4Cups

vCash: 500
Trent Hunter

Congratulations to Trent Hunter who now leads NHL rookies in scoring and is a whopping +11. I have to go Holiday shopping now, but from what I have read it sounds like another beauty and I can't wait to get back and find a highlight.

Way to go Trent and Steve Stirling for having and instilling the confidence in this kid.

Old
12-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
Congratulations to Trent Hunter who now leads NHL rookies in scoring and is a whopping +11. I have to go Holiday shopping now, but from what I have read it sounds like another beauty and I can't wait to get back and find a highlight.

Way to go Trent and Steve Stirling for having and instilling the confidence in this kid.

I can't get over the improvement in this kid's skating. Top end speed is still lacking, but there is a real jump to him down and he moves off the line pretty well. He is also nicely balanced on his skates. I was really worried about his lateral agility and his acceleration when he first stared, but he appears to have licked those problems. He always had the hands and defensive awareness. He just needed the work ethic and skates (particularly the latter).

Man, was I ever wrong about this kid. I though he was a future AHL'er or perhaps a so-so third liner.

Old
12-14-2003, 09:48 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Good to see the isles have a nice crop of young players playing w the parent club

about DAMN time...

Trent seems like a poor man's shanny...he charges in...goes in the corners.. a true joy to watch.

Can you imagine when Nillson & Tunek come to North america?

We defintely have a very nice Future...

Old
12-15-2003, 05:47 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
Good to see the isles have a nice crop of young players playing w the parent club

about DAMN time...

Trent seems like a poor man's shanny...he charges in...goes in the corners.. a true joy to watch.

Can you imagine when Nillson & Tunek come to North america?

We defintely have a very nice Future...
Hunter actually reminds me of Izzy when he first came in, but Trent finds the net and is visible almost every shift.

It should be some fun watching him get smarter and smoother as the season goes on !

Old
12-15-2003, 06:32 AM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I can't get over the improvement in this kid's skating. Top end speed is still lacking, but there is a real jump to him down and he moves off the line pretty well. He is also nicely balanced on his skates. I was really worried about his lateral agility and his acceleration when he first stared, but he appears to have licked those problems. He always had the hands and defensive awareness. He just needed the work ethic and skates (particularly the latter).

Man, was I ever wrong about this kid. I though he was a future AHL'er or perhaps a so-so third liner.
Nice of you to admit you were wrong. Really impressed with Hunter--I think he has great shot for ROY. Can't wait to see what he does rest of the year! WE have a good future with all our young guys--can't believe that Bridgeport team of two years ago--great young talent:
Hunter, Mapletoft, Torres, Dipietro, Godard, Mezei, Kolnik, Krog--what a team!! And with Weinhandl, Papp and the guys we drafted this year-Nilsson, Tunik, Gervis etc etc we have a good future!!!

Old
12-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
Nice of you to admit you were wrong. Really impressed with Hunter--I think he has great shot for ROY. Can't wait to see what he does rest of the year! WE have a good future with all our young guys--can't believe that Bridgeport team of two years ago--great young talent:
Hunter, Mapletoft, Torres, Dipietro, Godard, Mezei, Kolnik, Krog--what a team!! And with Weinhandl, Papp and the guys we drafted this year-Nilsson, Tunik, Gervis etc etc we have a good future!!!

Of course, the odds of all those youngsters actually staying Islanders (unless THE EVIL ONE if finally fired) are not good.

Kolnik had 2 goals in the last three games, btw. I think the Cats had something like five ex-Isles in the lineup the other night.

Old
12-15-2003, 11:10 AM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Of course, the odds of all those youngsters actually staying Islanders (unless THE EVIL ONE if finally fired) are not good.

Kolnik had 2 goals in the last three games, btw. I think the Cats had something like five ex-Isles in the lineup the other night.
We are no doubt going to regret that Kolnik for Butch trade as well as the Parrish/Luongo and Weimer for Mezei deals MM is well loved down in Fla

Old
12-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Tacks

I'm really happy to see how well he's doing. I've had the chance to see all the prospects in Bridgeport for the last two years and it's great to watch their improvement - especially in Hunter and DiPietro.

He's always had the ability - strong on his skates, great passer with soft hands, great in the corners, defensively responsible, and has a knack for scoring big goals like Chris Drury. He didn't have the jump on his skates and he didn't play like he was 6'3" 210. Stirling did an excellent job with him in Bridgeport and it's carrying over on the Island. Hunter's gonna be a player for a long time, he might not win the Calder, but he'll be close the rest of the year.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:50 AM
maximil

Who is he playing with?

Old
12-16-2003, 08:55 AM
IslesFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximil
Who is he playing with?
Bates & Peca

Old
12-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacks
I'm really happy to see how well he's doing. I've had the chance to see all the prospects in Bridgeport for the last two years and it's great to watch their improvement - especially in Hunter and DiPietro.

He's always had the ability - strong on his skates, great passer with soft hands, great in the corners, defensively responsible, and has a knack for scoring big goals like Chris Drury. He didn't have the jump on his skates and he didn't play like he was 6'3" 210. Stirling did an excellent job with him in Bridgeport and it's carrying over on the Island. Hunter's gonna be a player for a long time, he might not win the Calder, but he'll be close the rest of the year.

At the rate he is playing now he's going to have the Calder locked up by the All Star Break

Old
12-17-2003, 06:30 AM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255
At the rate he is playing now he's going to have the Calder locked up by the All Star Break
For us old time fan's, Hunter reminds me of Bobby Nystrom. Like Bobby Ny he's big and strong and very good at scoring the CLUTCH goal.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:58 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101
For us old time fan's, Hunter reminds me of Bobby Nystrom. Like Bobby Ny he's big and strong and very good at scoring the CLUTCH goal.
I have been thinking of who to compare Trent Hunter to and Bobby Nystrom was not the name that came to mind. I was think more John Tonelli. Not a fighter, Hunter is a little bigger, Tonelli was somewhat better skater, both are tough in the corners and hard to shake off the puck. Both could drive behind and to the net and bury it.

The big difference here is Hunter has a better (dare I say Bossy-like?) shot than Tonelli did. If you notice, almost everytime Hunter shoots, the goalie seems to be surprised, has to come up with a big save or it goes in.

Anyone have a better active player comparison to Trent Hunter?

Old
12-17-2003, 07:33 AM
PECAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
Anyone have a better active player comparison to Trent Hunter?
I'm probably going to take alot of flak for this one. But ever since his playoff appearance and what I saw of him at Bridgeport I thought Trent Hunter looked like a poor skating Danny Heatley.

They're both tall and rangy with good hands. I thought Hunter showed alot of creativity with a great shot (granted it was at the AHL level). The big difference in their game being that overall Heatly is a vastly superior skater.

I really like how Hunter finds ways to come from the boards and get into the middle for scoring chances. He has all the tools to be 30G 70P player.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECAhead
I'm probably going to take alot of flak for this one. But ever since his playoff appearance and what I saw of him at Bridgeport I thought Trent Hunter looked like a poor skating Danny Heatley.

They're both tall and rangy with good hands. I thought Hunter showed alot of creativity with a great shot (granted it was at the AHL level). The big difference in their game being that overall Heatly is a vastly superior skater.

I really like how Hunter finds ways to come from the boards and get into the middle for scoring chances. He has all the tools to be 30G 70P player.
He doesn't seem to have a hard wrist shot like a Bossy but he's got great hands and a quick release. You really don't notice he's shot til the puck's behind the goalie. Believe it or not, Gretzky had a similar shot with amazing accuracy. Among active players Mats Sundin can launch the puck from the weirdest spots around the net and get it in.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Dugi Otok

not surprised....

Saw Hunter in person last year while playing for the Bridge against Hamilton Bulldogs. He was the best player on the ice, dominating even. Left the game wondering why the heck he couldn't do that at the NHL level. I guess now he has. The puck seems to find him and he's very hard to get the puck off. Torres was also remarkable in that game - best skater for either team by far. Also I was impressed by Garon who was in net for the Bulldogs.

Not sure who Hunter reminds me off - good question. I know who was supposed to be like him - Isbister .
Question:
Not having an opportunity to watch him yet this year (very little Isle coverage here in Toronto - gotta get a dish), has he added a physical dimension to his game ? He's got the size for it - I'd love to see him add a mean streak.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREMM
Question:
Not having an opportunity to watch him yet this year (very little Isle coverage here in Toronto - gotta get a dish), has he added a physical dimension to his game ? He's got the size for it - I'd love to see him add a mean streak.
He's definitely added a physical presence to his game. He's one of the Isles best checker and always finishes his checks. He's one of the grittiest players on the Isles and never takes a shift off.

Closed Thread