HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Baby-B's have the best chance at making it next year?

Old
03-22-2007, 10:52 AM
cocorico

vCash: 500
Both Lashoff and Stuart are having good seasons and should be considered as excellent prospects. Their chances on making it in Boston next season depends on many factors (off season contracts, Lewis/Chirelli's opinions etc.) Both of them could be playing regular shifts in the show right now with a number of teams.

I agree that Stuart played a different style in Boston, compared to what he does here in Providence. He was trying to be safe and responsible. With more playing time and experience, he will become more comfortable with his "in-your-face" style. He is one of our toughest, hardest hitting players. He is afraid on no one and the opponents know when he is on the ice. His puck skills continue to improve. Despite limited PP time, he is putting up decent points in the AHL.

Lashoff is good at skating the puck and taking a more offensive role. He is sometimes out of position and is not a trememdous defender. He is gaining excellent experience in Providence and will be an NHL player.

Stuart
AHL 42games 4goals 15 assists +2 60PIMS
NHL 28games 1goal 2 assists +3 24PIMS

Lashoff
AHL 53games 10goals 21 assists -2 60PIMS
NHL 12games 0goals 2 assists -6 24PIMS

cocorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
sobotka needs to be signed by june 1 (which will happen). currently he's rehabbing a shoulder injury, but should be 100% by the summer (hopefully in time for the mini-camp). the plan is to bring him to north america next year - he's a dark horse to make the b's varsity, but i see him in providence getting used to the N.A. style game. excellent pick by the b's - sobotka will be well-liked by the fans.
I really liked him in the WJr's. He was all over the place; a darting, straight-at-it kinda player. Not great size, but had a nose for the puck. We may have a Svatos-type story with this guy. Just a hunch.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
saskbruin44*
Stanley Cup Champs

Send a message via ICQ to saskbruin44*
When was the last time a prospect came through the system(ahl) and made an immediate impact on the b's?(bergeron basically came up from juniors)

I really hope one of the k's can provide some spark next year.

saskbruin44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
I really liked him in the WJr's. He was all over the place; a darting, straight-at-it kinda player. Not great size, but had a nose for the puck. We may have a Svatos-type story with this guy. Just a hunch.
i don't see sobotka becoming that type of offensive player. maybe a 20 goal guy. he's quite a competitior though - to me, that's what stands out when you watch him. we talk about the current bruins lacking gumption...sobotka doesn't. injecting guys like stuart, kalus and sobotka will be a welcomed change of pace.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Marleau

Send a message via AIM to Marleau
TJ Trevelyan is having a fantastic season for an ECHL callup. He'll probably be back with Providence next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the call up for some games. Two guys that I don't see coming back to the organization are Pelletier and Leach. Even Bergeron doesn't understand why he hasn't been called up, in training camp he talked about them playing well together and sharing the same backgrounds in terms of language and where they grew up. It's too bad, a lot of people love Pelletier because he's a guy who's not afraid to hit and also has a finess side to him. As for Leach, I don't think he plans on being back next year, he's going to want to play somewhere where he might have a shot at making the big club, which for him, isn't here. He's been here about 3 seasons now and has been a nice surprise for the PB's, but after this season he doesn't have a future with the club in my eyes. Krejci and Karsums need one more season in Providence, they should not be rushed. As for Kalus, I think he should be a lock for next years Boston team. The second half of this season he's been awesome and coming alive offensively.

Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:39 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleMarleau12 View Post
TJ Trevelyan is having a fantastic season for an ECHL callup. He'll probably be back with Providence next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the call up for some games. Two guys that I don't see coming back to the organization are Pelletier and Leach. Even Bergeron doesn't understand why he hasn't been called up, in training camp he talked about them playing well together and sharing the same backgrounds in terms of language and where they grew up. It's too bad, a lot of people love Pelletier because he's a guy who's not afraid to hit and also has a finess side to him. As for Leach, I don't think he plans on being back next year, he's going to want to play somewhere where he might have a shot at making the big club, which for him, isn't here. He's been here about 3 seasons now and has been a nice surprise for the PB's, but after this season he doesn't have a future with the club in my eyes. Krejci and Karsums need one more season in Providence, they should not be rushed. As for Kalus, I think he should be a lock for next years Boston team. The second half of this season he's been awesome and coming alive offensively.
Any theories on why Pelletier never got a chance?

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Marleau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Probably because his name isn't Pascal Mowers. No clue, guy plays hard every night and brings everything he's got to the table. I just hope he makes it with someone, it would be a shame if he didn't. As for Leach, I was informed that he didn't plan on being back with the organization.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:50 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
i really like pelletier, but he's behind all of the guys who have been called up to date. he's still young though.

as for leach, i'm not sure i see another organization being any more interested in having him as an NHL defenseman than boston does. to me, he's just not that good. solid AHL player who would get beaten soundly on the NHL level. he doesn't even have the wheels or skills of a guy like allen.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:52 AM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Probably because his name isn't Pascal Mowers. No clue, guy plays hard every night and brings everything he's got to the table. I just hope he makes it with someone, it would be a shame if he didn't. As for Leach, I was informed that he didn't plan on being back with the organization.
I'd like to see Boston give an opportunity to Pelletier before the season is over. Seems like it's make or break time for him and Boston. With the playoffs out of the picture, might as well see what you got in Pelletier...

Worst that could happen is he plays REALLY well and moves Boston up the standings putting them out of a good draft position

Old
03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Marleau

If anyone is interested I wrote a small recap of the PB's game last night.

I agree that it is time that Pascal got the call. Send Wally back down so he can help the baby b's.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
i really like pelletier, but he's behind all of the guys who have been called up to date. he's still young though.

as for leach, i'm not sure i see another organization being any more interested in having him as an NHL defenseman than boston does. to me, he's just not that good. solid AHL player who would get beaten soundly on the NHL level. he doesn't even have the wheels or skills of a guy like allen.
Do you think they'll keep Pelletier around for next season? Or will they cut him loose without ever seeing if he could be something at the NHL level...

As for Leach, I remember him playing 1 or 2 games for the Bruins at some point...maybe last season? What does he do/not do that makes him a long shot in the NHL the same time he's a solid AHL player?

Old
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
i don't see sobotka becoming that type of offensive player. maybe a 20 goal guy. he's quite a competitior though - to me, that's what stands out when you watch him. we talk about the current bruins lacking gumption...sobotka doesn't. injecting guys like stuart, kalus and sobotka will be a welcomed change of pace.
Gotcha Lawrence, I agree. My comparison was more in line with Svatos's surprise performance at the pro level, as well as a draft downgrade due to size. This guy's a sneak pick in my books; although admittedly I have only watched him play 2/3 games. I got a good feel about his game. I too have heard that if there's a question about Vlad, it's in regard to his pro-rated offense. Vlad Sobotka is my current Bruin fav-prospect, and yes I'd love to see Kalus, Stu and Vlad make it next season, with Sobotka being an obvious longshot.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
If anyone is interested I wrote a small recap of the PB's game last night.

I agree that it is time that Pascal got the call. Send Wally back down so he can help the baby b's.
I'm very interested. Please PM it to me. Do you go to watch games? Or do you get them on tv?

Old
03-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Marleau

The recap is in the PB's thread, I go to the games every week. I leave the recapping to Silva though, that's his thing....lol. I actually do a lot of Photography there, I shoot with their Photographer from time to time, great guy. This year I think I've been to about 25 games, and I will have tickets to every postseason game coming up....keeping my fingers crossed for this team.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Do you think they'll keep Pelletier around for next season? Or will they cut him loose without ever seeing if he could be something at the NHL level...

As for Leach, I remember him playing 1 or 2 games for the Bruins at some point...maybe last season? What does he do/not do that makes him a long shot in the NHL the same time he's a solid AHL player?
i think they'll opt to keep him around, but pelletier may choose to take another opportunity elsewhere.

he played 2 games. had a fight (forget who he fought). his skills aren't NHL caliber, IMO. his foot speed, his puck skills...just about everything is a step behind. some guys forge a good career in the AHL, even if their talent isn't as high as others. leach does a good job on that level, but he won't be an NHLer. some guys have it but lack opportunity. other guys don't have 'it'. to me, leach doesn't have 'it'. hard worker though - i think he was whitesides' top student this summer w/regards to fitness.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
if i had to choose one forward and one D, i'd go with:

kalus and stuart...
What do you think are the greatest challenges Kalus will face bringing his show to the NHL?

Why do you pick Stuart over Lashoff? I have no inclination either way, just wondering how they compare in terms of progress.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
What do you think are the greatest challenges Kalus will face bringing his show to the NHL?

Why do you pick Stuart over Lashoff? I have no inclination either way, just wondering how they compare in terms of progress.
kalus' biggest challenges will be:

1 - staying healthy. 2 - finding ice time from camp lewis.

even if kalus has another exceptional training camp, how will he separate himself from 'stalwarts' like mowers and donovan?

stuart over lashoff b/c stuey has an NHL-readiness to his game that lashoff is still searching for...i think it's more of a night in, night out consistency. lashoff can look like the best player on the ice easily at times, and then he's prone to mistakes (like a lot of young kids). if not for the injury this summer, stuart probably would've made the top 6 out of camp. the only issue i can see is his contract - and i'm still trying to pin down the exact details of his 1.6M cap hit.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
kalus' biggest challenges will be:

1 - staying healthy. 2 - finding ice time from camp lewis.

even if kalus has another exceptional training camp, how will he separate himself from 'stalwarts' like mowers and donovan?

stuart over lashoff b/c stuey has an NHL-readiness to his game that lashoff is still searching for...i think it's more of a night in, night out consistency. lashoff can look like the best player on the ice easily at times, and then he's prone to mistakes (like a lot of young kids). if not for the injury this summer, stuart probably would've made the top 6 out of camp. the only issue i can see is his contract - and i'm still trying to pin down the exact details of his 1.6M cap hit.
This is the most disturbing thing. And it disturbs me even more that you make a point to mention it on a regular basis. Boston has a very good scouting team and has produced some excellent prospects. The Bruins REALLY needed a coach who could help these kids develop into solid contributors. Instead, they got Lewis, who is quite possibly the complete opposite. Seriously, what was Chiarelli thinking?!?!

If Kalus has a great training camp, starts the season and shows he can play, Chiarelli may need to step in and make sure Lewis is giving the proper opportunity to him (or any other rookie) over stiffs who obviously can't improve and won't bring much more than they did this season (namely Mowers and Donovan).

Old
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Silva

Send a message via AIM to Silva
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Much appreciated. You've got a good eye and you write well. Do you do it just for fun or do you hope to make a career of it someday?

BTW, I'd love to hear how Marco Rosa does. I watched him play at Merrimack College (my alma mater) and was one of their top scorers. Heard that he had been drafted by Dallas but they must have cut him loose. I don't see him ever playing at the NHL level but would be happy to see him stick in Providence.
I just write for fun because I love hockey...I'm going to school for actuarial math.

I haven't seen enough of Marco Rosa to make a decision on him yet. I've only seen him for a handful of games and until Walter and Krejci were called up, he wasn't getting much ice time at all. Last time I saw him he looked good playing second line center but it's still to early to comment on him.

Silva is offline   Reply With Quote