HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Holik

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Bobby Holik

Just wondering if you Ranger fans were happy with him considering how much he's getting paid. Is he worth nine million or do you feel it could have been put to better use?

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 12-12-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Old
12-12-2003, 07:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Just wondering if you Ranager fans were happy with him considering how much he's getting paid. Is he worth nine million or do you feel it could have been put to better use?
I'm very happy with Holik.

But I have to wonder what money has to do with it. The Rangers paid what the market set Holik's value to be.

And as far as having 9M to put to a better use, this is the Rangers if they wanted to spend an extra 9M, they would have.

12-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm very happy with Holik.

But I have to wonder what money has to do with it. The Rangers paid what the market set Holik's value to be.

And as far as having 9M to put to a better use, this is the Rangers if they wanted to spend an extra 9M, they would have.
That's why I'm asking, some of my Ranger fan's dispise him but that might have more to do with him being a Devil than how much he makes, which is why they say they hate him.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
That's why I'm asking, some of my Ranger fan's dispise him but that might have more to do with him being a Devil than how much he makes, which is why they say they hate him.

I really haven't seen anyone on this board say that they hate Holik.

I certainly hated him when he was a Devil.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I really haven't seen anyone on this board say that they hate Holik.

I certainly hated him when he was a Devil.
I think everybody did.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:36 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Just wondering if you Ranger fans were happy with him considering how much he's getting paid. Is he worth nine million or do you feel it could have been put to better use?

I think this season he's definitely the Holik that left NJ. Last year he seemed out of place being on a team not run as tight as NJD. He just didn't have that edge that he had when he was our rival. Is he worth the 9 million? No of course not. But as SBOB said, it's what the market set. It was one case where the Rangers weren't bidding against themselves I think. If we didn't get him, he'd have resigned or signed elsewhere for pennies less.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:43 PM
nyr5186

Last year, he too often looked out of place and never really developed any chemistry with any linemates. Plus he came into camp out of shape and was rarely the mean SOB we expected him to be. But after being used to so much success with the Devils, I think all the losing last year really pissed him off. So he came into camp this year in much better shape and a commitment to regain his tough, physical style. So far, he's done that. He's found chemsitry with guys like Rucinsky and Kovalev (of all people), and it seems like whenever a struggling player is put on his wing, that player rejuvinates his game. I've said this before, and every Ranger fan would probably agree with me, but Holik is best when given the shutdown checking center role. Too often has Sather not matched lines, and that has been a big gripe of mine. But it seems like Holik is finally starting to play like we expected him to. He's been mean, he's been physical, he's created space for other players. Plus he's been a mainstay in front of the net on the power play.

As for whether he's worth $9 million...I dont think any NHL player deserves that much, but as SBOB mentioned, thats what the market set him at. If it wasnt the Rangers paying him $9 mil, it would be some other team paying him only slightly less.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I remember in the 2001 SC playoffs when we lost to the Av's in the finals (which I'm sure you guys were all broken up about), he was probably a lock for the Conn Smythe for his defensive play if we had won it.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:57 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
I remember in the 2001 SC playoffs when we lost to the Av's in the finals (which I'm sure you guys were all broken up about), he was probably a lock for the Conn Smythe for his defensive play if we had won it.
Holik is one of the few players in the league who can dominate a game without putting up a single point. If this team ever did make the playoffs, I think he'd be the biggest factor on the ice (save the goalie ofcourse).

Old
12-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Holik is one of the few players in the league who can dominate a game without putting up a single point. If this team ever did make the playoffs, I think he'd be the biggest factor on the ice (save the goalie ofcourse).
That's assuming he's used correctly. That's been my only complaint about Holik this year. He's hardly ever been used as the shut-down center, which was the role he thrived in when he was with NJ. Instead we flank him with offensive wingers and watch him shoot the puck into the goalie's chest all night, or we play him on the 4th line because Mess needs his minutes.

Tonight was a good start since Lindros was in Holik's spot between Rucinsky and Kovalev, but I'd like to see an actual checking unit built around our elite checking center one of these days.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Barnaby

He's our best centerman so no.

Nedved is inconsistent and Lindros is a shell.

Old
12-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Laches

Holik has certainly been better this year than last. He's one guy on the team that seems aware to what's wrong with the team, and is genuinely bothered by it and willing to speak out about. For the past six years, we've heard players, coaches and management try to spin and sugarcoat everything. There's always the standard "we're a work in progress" or "the bounces just didn't go our way tonight" answer after a loss. Or it's officiating, or the schedule, or the fans booing that causes the team to lose. So, it's refreshing to have someone like Holik who is willing to call a spade a spade, and say, frankly, that the team too often just doesn't play hard enough.

As for the money, I don't know. $9 mil seemed a tad excessive to me, I can't recall the specifics at the moment, but it seems to me that while there were other teams interested, nobody was prepared to offer what the Rangers did. I seem to remember that one or two of the Western Conference teams made him an offer that wasn't too far off in terms of annual salary, but wasn't for as long as what the Rangers gave him. $25 mil over 3 years or something like that. I think the length of the contract bothered me more than the annual salary. Holik played much of last season like a guy who got complacent after getting his big payday. Yeah, he was misused, but he didn't play with much fire last year.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
Holik has certainly been better this year than last. He's one guy on the team that seems aware to what's wrong with the team, and is genuinely bothered by it and willing to speak out about. For the past six years, we've heard players, coaches and management try to spin and sugarcoat everything. There's always the standard "we're a work in progress" or "the bounces just didn't go our way tonight" answer after a loss. Or it's officiating, or the schedule, or the fans booing that causes the team to lose. So, it's refreshing to have someone like Holik who is willing to call a spade a spade, and say, frankly, that the team too often just doesn't play hard enough.

As for the money, I don't know. $9 mil seemed a tad excessive to me, I can't recall the specifics at the moment, but it seems to me that while there were other teams interested, nobody was prepared to offer what the Rangers did. I seem to remember that one or two of the Western Conference teams made him an offer that wasn't too far off in terms of annual salary, but wasn't for as long as what the Rangers gave him. $25 mil over 3 years or something like that. I think the length of the contract bothered me more than the annual salary. Holik played much of last season like a guy who got complacent after getting his big payday. Yeah, he was misused, but he didn't play with much fire last year.
I may be wrong but I think Lou is ready to give $6-7 mil, I think the reason the Rangers gave him $9 mil was maybe they knew they had to offer him a substantial more to get him to leave the Devils for them.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:30 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think Lou is ready to give $6-7 mil, I think the reason the Rangers gave him $9 mil was maybe they knew they had to offer him a substantial more to get him to leave the Devils for them.
I think Lou went up to $8 million eventually and Toronto went to $8.5 million.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I think Lou went up to $8 million eventually and Toronto went to $8.5 million.
That's what I remembered too, but apparently we both had it flipped.

Quote:
The Leafs offered Holik a five-year pact worth $40 million US, and his former club, the New Jersey Devils, had a five-year contract for $42.5 million on the table.
http://www.canoe.com/Slam020702/nhl_tor1-sun.html

Old
12-14-2003, 07:46 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
That's what I remembered too, but apparently we both had it flipped.

http://www.canoe.com/Slam020702/nhl_tor1-sun.html
Thanks, Kodiak.

Btw, Manny seems to be doing okay in Columbus.

Closed Thread