HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible Canuck/Sabres trades? (Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Fair?
I thought getting nothing would be fair...

Quote:
My issue is that I am not the biggest Sopel fan in the world. I get the parrallels to Aucoin, who's turned out nicely after some years of grooming and investment both in Vancouver and on the Island (I wont include his brief stay in Tampa...), but I also see a right handed version of Jason Woolley. I suppose I need to catch the next Canucks game and spend more time following him to see if I can shake that. Maybe not.
Well, Brent Sopel is just one possibility. I'm not even sure if I'd want to trade Brent Sopel alone for a playoff rental. Sopel isn't a bad d-man, even though he is made out to be one on these boards. He is inconsistent though. He'll also make an occasional boneheaded play, but he has been much better this season in that regard. As for a Jason Woolley comparison, I can't really comment as I haven't watched Woolley play much, but from what I've read and heard, he's been labeled as a one-dimensional PP QB? If so, that's not Brent Sopel. Sopel is good on the point during the man advantage, but his defensive play is average to above average, like I said, he made the NHL because of his defensive play. He's got good positioning and usually makes the right defensive descision(again, he does make boneheaded moves every so often). One thing I would like to see Brent improve on is his physical play. For a guy who is 6'1" 215lbs, he doesn't hit very often. He doesn't shy away from the rough stuff, but he isn't known for leveling a guy in the corner. Sopel is very similar to a young Adrian Aucoin IMO. If you have a feeling that Sopel may be an Andy Delmore type, I can assure you, he is not.

Closed Thread