HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire MacLean!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Fire MacLean!!

Y'know, we had a very interesting debate based on Nikolai Zherdev. I figure if we can get a series of topics going that can inspire some posts, then this should be excellent.

Here's our newest topic to debate.

To fire, or not to fire.

Personally, MacLean has done an exceptional job...as General Manager. His coaching skills are mediocre at best, and likely not the best coach to manage a group of youngsters.

I think MacLean needs to head back to the press box, and bring in someone who can manage the kids better.

12-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Fire.

For Every good trade that hes made as GM, hes made at least one bad one. The Spacek trade was countered by the Marshall Trade.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:48 AM
CBJSlash

Find a new coach, but don't fire. He got Sanderson and Grand-Pierre for nothing at the expansion draft. He got Nash for nothing. he picked up Spacek for Odelein. Got Denis for a 2nd(not bad). Brings in free agents. Got Sydor for Sillinger. Plucked Malhotra off waivers. Brought over Vyborny. Let's face it he has built a solid core Klesla, Leclaire, Johnson, Nash, Zherdev and Fritsche. Marshall is the only blemish I can think of right now.

Old
12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Fire. He needs to realize that defense is going to bring this team over the slump that they are in, yet he still has yet to address their porous D. Sydor is an offensive defensemen. THey should have traded for an defensive defensemen. Just little things like that, bother me, and I think he should be canned.

Old
12-14-2003, 11:12 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I think "fire" is too harsh a word. Keep Doug as GM, no problems there, but we clearly need someone else behind the bench.
But WHO????
I don't know as much about our assistant coaches as I probably should. Is there anyone else available??

Old
12-14-2003, 11:25 AM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zherdev Fan
Fire.

For Every good trade that hes made as GM, hes made at least one bad one. The Spacek trade was countered by the Marshall Trade.
Ok, I can give you the marshall trade.

Now please name the other bad trades he has made?

Old
12-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Fire. He needs to realize that defense is going to bring this team over the slump that they are in, yet he still has yet to address their porous D. Sydor is an offensive defensemen. THey should have traded for an defensive defensemen. Just little things like that, bother me, and I think he should be canned.
Enoch, remember that 4 of our top 5 d-men are out and have been for a signifigant amount of time. I agree that our D has left a lot to be desired, but our defense is also much, MUCH, deeper this year.

I think our D is better this year than it has been in the past... how many games have they played together, as a healthy unit?

And about the Sydor trade. Maybe that was the only trade available. That was a great trade in my book.

DM has done a good job as GM. Head coach, well do we even need to discuss this?

Old
12-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejh18
Ok, I can give you the marshall trade.

Now please name the other bad trades he has made?

The Nash trade could have been a disaster.

Ron Tugnutt and the 33rd Overall Pick for the 20th Overall Pick

Old
12-14-2003, 11:41 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:

Well MacLean's reasoning behind that was addition by subtraction, handing over the reins to Denis. Tugger was making a decent chunk of money too, that went toward free agents. I remember thinking WTF when that trade went down, but I think it was a salary dump and spot maker more than anything.

And heck we got the guy we wanted at 4th anyway. Things would've worked out the same anyway. Zherdev was Number 1 on our list so if we had the 1st pick we would have picked him anyway.

Last edited by CBJSlash: 12-14-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old
12-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Matt Foley*

It's not like I expected them to be a playoff team this year, but I expected the Jackets to at least be better than last season. So far, they are on pace to finish with 62 points, seven less than last season.

My personal opinion is that he should stay on as GM and hire a new coach at the end of the season. However, the chances of that type of scenario happening aren't likely, based on what I've heard MacLean say in the past. Here's a quote from him in the June 7th Dispatch, when he announced he was no longer an interim coach and was going to stay on:

"I'm not going into this saying, 'I'm going to coach for a year,' '' MacLean said. "My plan -- and this is subject, obviously, to (majority owner John H. McConnell) -- is that I'm going to coach the Blue Jackets until we win the Stanley Cup."

That is where I think MacLean made a big mistake. He could do a good job of being a GM, but if the team continues to stink up the joint, and if, as a result, attendance starts to suffer, I think that McConnell would likely get rid of him. I would not be shocked that if the team finishes the season with a record worse than last year, that McConnell pulls the plug on DM after the season is over, right, wrong, or otherwise.

Regardless, I feel that DM the coach has lost control of this team and has run out of ideas on how to motivate them.

Old
12-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Kinger1

I think that Maclean should step down as coach and allow one of the assistants to finish the year. I think he was hoping for Joel Q at the end of last season and he wasn't available as expected. He needs to focus on player development and drafting.

As for coaching young players, I can't argue with the success of Rick Nash. He is getting prime minutes in key situations and I think he plays hard for Doug. Klesla's development was a big reason why King was fired according to Maclean and I can't say that the change behind the bench has really helped. Zherdev is getting close to 20 minutes a game lately so he is also coming along quickly. Perhaps it is the veterans that he can't develop. They look too comfortable in losing.

Also, does it concern anyone that Maclean s talking 3 year contract extenion with Tyler Wright at slightly over $1M per? I think Maclean may be too loyal to a certain core of veterans that simply haven't brought the leadership needed to change the culture of this team.

Old
12-14-2003, 12:55 PM
puckgoalnet

Keep him as GM, get a new coach. I don't buy the porous D theory yet ... let them play a few games healthy first and then come back with that argument and I might support it.

Bob Hartley has shown in Atlanta what a good coach can mean to an organization. Other than the big two of Kovalchuk and Heatley, that roster doesn't look a whole lot different than ours. In fact, I think ours actually looks better. Heatley hasn't played a game yet and they're still first in their division.

Get a real coach, get healthy, and this team could be in a lot better position than we are now.

Old
12-14-2003, 01:32 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinger1

Also, does it concern anyone that Maclean s talking 3 year contract extenion with Tyler Wright at slightly over $1M per? I think Maclean may be too loyal to a certain core of veterans that simply haven't brought the leadership needed to change the culture of this team.
I may be in the minority on this but, I for one don't have a problem with keeping Wright. He gives his all every shift, and gets under the other teams skin. Now 1 million may be a little steep, but I think he can bring a lot to the table in terms of killing penalties and drawing penalties. He hasn't taken any stupid ones that I can recall this year and that used to be his problem. He can pot about 12-15 goals a year. I think he is the type of player for a shutdown line that we were talking about earlier in the year. On top of everything else he is a funny guy, that is a good one to have in the locker room and he does a lot of work with the charities we are involved with.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:11 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I'd like to go with the majority and say keep as gm, fire as coach. I've also been of the opinion that he's made more good moves than bad. Hell I've said it here and on other boards before. But, you know what? The best team in four years was the first season. On paper, sure the last two years look better, but on ice, that team beats any of the other three. For all the moves he's made, the team isn't better.
I don't know what the problem is and I'm torn on the solution. Part of me says completely fire MacLean. Part of me says jumping to a 2nd gm and 3rd coach in the fourth season can't be good.
I too thought this would be the year they make a run, but maybe this team (hopefully) is closer to the early Ottawa and Tampa teams and not so much like the Wild or Panthers. That sucks for the time being. Our only hope is that in a few years this team truly will be set up for the long run.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
I too thought this would be the year they make a run, but maybe this team (hopefully) is closer to the early Ottawa and Tampa teams and not so much like the Wild or Panthers. That sucks for the time being. Our only hope is that in a few years this team truly will be set up for the long run.
Kallio mentioned Ottawa's early teams, and I remembered them as being pretty horrendous. I guess I was right - I checked out Ottawa's records for their first four years of existence, and here's how they did:

Season 1 ('92-'93): 10-70-4 , 24 pts.
Season 2 : 14-61-9, 37 pts.
Season 3 (only 48 games played due to lockout): 9-34-5, 23 pts; projected over a full season: 39 pts.
Season 4: 18-59-5, 41 pts.

I don't remember if they were going strictly with young players or what, but those early Sens records make ours look pretty good. Their fifth season they started to become more respectable, winning 31 games, and going at least .500 each season afterward.

Rick Bowness, the original coach of the modern-day Senators, was fired in January of the team's fourth season. Jacques Martin, one of Bowness' assistants, took over and has kept the job since.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:59 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley

Rick Bowness, the original coach of the modern-day Senators, was fired in January of the team's fourth season. Jacques Martin, one of Bowness' assistants, took over and has kept the job since.
That settles it. January of year four approaches. Fire MacLean, but now who to hire? Gallant, Murphy or Brown?

Old
12-14-2003, 04:16 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
That settles it. January of year four approaches. Fire MacLean, but now who to hire? Gallant, Murphy or Brown?
If I remember right, the only reason Maclean is coaching is because McConell wanted him to until the labor problems were solved and he didn't want to bring in a new guy until then. McConell is a big Maclean fan, and I really don't see him going anywhere until next year. I think it is a positive that he is coaching now so he can develop the young guys and figure out who we want to keep for the long haul. Let him finish this year and he'll probably hire a coach next year. I'd rather be in the playoffs from 2006-202? than 2004 and then again 2009-. It's growing pains, but everybody has to go through it. I know it's frustrating because on paper we have the talent, but I still want to get one or two high picks. The success the Wild had last year kind of puts pressure on us, but I mean I think that had a lot more to do with the system than the talent. Next year MacLean will hire a new coach, hopefully a good one and we will be on our way.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
I was hoping that someone would catch onto that. However, I'm not sure if any one of those three has what it takes to succeed at the NHL level. I'd rather us find a coach from a periennally successful organization who can teach our young kids how to win. I know that's something the players themselves have to learn, but someone has to lead the way.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:27 PM
3mta3

Firing MacLean as coach is preposterous.

Name one coach that would have prevented the injuries that have cripped the team throughout the season.

When your defense is missing 4 of the top 6, you will allow goals that should have been prevented, you'll miss the transition, you'll feel it all across the ice.

Nash is playing wonderful in a Sophomore Slump season with a diminished supporting cast. Zherdev is a delight to watch. Brathwaite has added some drama to the dressing room. Malhotra is showing that he's capable of great things. Vyborny continues to be great, even when he's not scoring in buckets. And so on and so on.

I'm glad you all think we should be in the playoffs and are supporting the team, but calling for MacLean's head is foolish. This season has signs for the future like no other and we're talking about how we should change it all up for now.

Sorry, but I'm in this for the long haul. I want to see a team built that can perform well in the long haul. I've followed the game, I've seen what it takes. I can only imagine what you would all be saying during the Dead Things era.

Old
12-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Ejh18

Quote:

Those are the bad trades?

We got Nash for nothing... Could have been... blah blah blah... any deal could be a disaster.

The Tugnutt deal wasnt a bad one either. Tug's play was slipping. It was time to give the reins to Denis, to see if he could handle it.

So basically you have the Marshall deal that was bad... and not a bad trade for every good one...

Old
12-14-2003, 07:06 PM
jackets63

Quote:
...The best team in four years was the first season. On paper, sure the last two years look better, but on ice, that team beats any of the other three. For all the moves he's made, the team isn't better...
Correct me if Im wrong, but the only long term injury I remember in year 1 was to Oliwa. Might have something to do with it.

Old
12-14-2003, 09:36 PM
MephistoIV

Send a message via AIM to MephistoIV
hi

im knew to these boards, just registered

we have season tickets(for 3 years now) and Im a huge Jackets fan

anyway... Maclean is an AMAZING GM and a medicore coach. Hes lost a step since becoming a GM earlier in his career.

I say let Newell Brown be coach for the year than find a new coach in the offseason.

Old
12-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Even though the Sydor trade was a good trade, it still failed to adress what the CBJs need. They need a better defense corps. Yes, 4 of 6 are out with injury, but realisitcally, the defense is still under-par. IMO, Doug has not made many boneheaded moves, but he still is failing to adress areas that are lacking.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejh18
We got Nash for nothing
What exactly are you implying, that the switch of 2003 first rounders with Florida to select 1st overall was a steal??? Columbus would have got Rick Nash at 3rd overall anyhow because Florida wanted a stud defenseman on the blueline in Bouwmeester and Atlanta wanted a franchise goalie in Lethonen so if anything Maclean actually took a huge risk and should have stayed at 3rd overall to save $$$ on Nash's big contract but now instead hes getting paid 1st overall type salary/bonuses instead.

Old
12-15-2003, 03:12 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
What exactly are you implying, that the switch of 2003 first rounders with Florida to select 1st overall was a steal??? Columbus would have got Rick Nash at 3rd overall anyhow because Florida wanted a stud defenseman on the blueline in Bouwmeester and Atlanta wanted a franchise goalie in Lethonen so if anything Maclean actually took a huge risk and should have stayed at 3rd overall to save $$$ on Nash's big contract but now instead hes getting paid 1st overall type salary/bonuses instead.
A rumor going around was that the Caps were willing to offer Oullet and a whole lot of other stuff (picks and such), to the Thrashers to pick Nash. Nash was very sought ever (and you can see why now), there's no way you can't say Atlanta wouldn't have traded down from their position and let someone else pick Nash.

We've beaten this trade to death. Dudley gave Atlanta picks in assurnce that they wouldn't trade down or take J-Bo. Dudley won the '03 lottery on one of his ping pong balls, so the other part of the deal didn't matter. Columbus got Nash for FREE.

Closed Thread