HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can't Hackett

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 05:04 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Can't Hackett

Is this guy as bad as he seems right now? Khabibulin let in 4 as well ,I know, but we've been down the first goal in 11 straight games I think it is. How many of those games did he start? I know he held us in against some really bad teams and Brodeur was kind enough to let in 3 on Friday, but those were bad teams and the Flyers don't get too many games against Brodeur where he lets in 3 goals.

I don't think the Flyers have played as well of late as they did in October and November which could be the reason Hackett looks so bad. That seems to point to the team making him look good instead of him being good.

I really am disgusted at the prospect of pinning hopes on him but since we're stuck with him I don't want to dread his every start either. Does he have a no trade clause?

Anyone have any words of wisdom on the subject?

Old
12-18-2003, 05:32 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
The team is slumping. Its bound to happen in an 82 game season. Is Hackett an elite goaltender? no. But the Flyers defense has been playing poorly lately. Esche will help a bit, but I dont think you will see that much improvement if the players in front of him continue to make uncharacteristically bad mistakes.

Old
12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
How many goals were scored on us tonight? 5. On how many shots? 28. Pathetic. Hack-job has been moved from the "should be a backup" list to the "should be sent to the AHL" list. I mean, it's not like anyone's going to pick up this waste of skin at $3 million per season. :mad:

Old
12-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Fla.Flyer.Fan

Quote:
How many goals were scored on us tonight? 5. On how many shots? 28. Pathetic
Agreed. His save % for the last weeks worth of games can't be good. Even though we're not giving up too many shots, the ones we are, have been real good scoring chances lately. But his problems with straight on, un-screened shots is killing me.
The team as a whole is slumping as MojoJojo said and Hackett certainly isn't helping. But he did get us points early last week that we probably didn't deserve. Here's too hoping Esche can come back and be the #1 guy!

Old
12-19-2003, 01:46 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla.Flyer.Fan
Agreed. His save % for the last weeks worth of games can't be good. Even though we're not giving up too many shots, the ones we are, have been real good scoring chances lately. But his problems with straight on, un-screened shots is killing me.
The team as a whole is slumping as MojoJojo said and Hackett certainly isn't helping. But he did get us points early last week that we probably didn't deserve. Here's too hoping Esche can come back and be the #1 guy!
It's those points we got that we didn't deserve that I think hurt them more than helped. Take a loss because you played like crap, get motivated to do better. It's been good to see them comeback but it's getting a little ridiculous.

I definitely hear you on the unscreened shots too. Those are the ones a goaltender is SUPPOSED to make.

Old
12-19-2003, 03:31 AM
stanley

I didn't see the game, but I saw a few of the goals. He doesn't seem to be controlling his rebounds at all. Again, all I have is highlights.

Jimmy Vandermeer got caught pinching at his own blueline on the OT goal, but I guess that happens frequently in OT (for the second game in a row). This team could really use a shutout pitched from one of their netminders.

Old
12-19-2003, 03:34 AM
Dr Love

This is going to sound extremely pessimistic, but... Hackett has been brutal lately, who's up for a Niittymaki start? What do they have to lose, the game? They've done a good job of that with Hackett. I think it's worth considering since they've got back to back games this weekend.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:12 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
This is going to sound extremely pessimistic, but... Hackett has been brutal lately, who's up for a Niittymaki start? What do they have to lose, the game? They've done a good job of that with Hackett. I think it's worth considering since they've got back to back games this weekend.
I say go for it, i'd like to see Nitty get a game in before going back down (no pun intended)

Old
12-19-2003, 06:45 AM
Blindside9711

Quote:
I would have liked to have seen him a couple games ago. It's clear Hack-job sucks, we don't have anything to lose. I'd actually venture to say it would be safe to send Back-up down to the minors. Nobody's going to pick up a wash-up like Hack for $3 mil' per... I'd start Niittymaki in all the remaining games until Esche is ready. The team has obviously lost confidence in Hack-job's netminding skills and could use a switch in goal. At least Niitty might give them a push at winning a game now and then.
I'd like to give Hack a push... maybe in front of a train or bus. :mad:

Old
12-19-2003, 08:14 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
I Think we all knew this day would come when the hack would start slacking. It seems his strategy is to go down and hope the puck hits him.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:15 AM
reg dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
I would have liked to have seen him a couple games ago. It's clear Hack-job sucks, we don't have anything to lose. I'd actually venture to say it would be safe to send Back-up down to the minors. Nobody's going to pick up a wash-up like Hack for $3 mil' per... I'd start Niittymaki in all the remaining games until Esche is ready. The team has obviously lost confidence in Hack-job's netminding skills and could use a switch in goal. At least Niitty might give them a push at winning a game now and then.
I'd like to give Hack a push... maybe in front of a train or bus. :mad:
i am not a flyers fan per se, but who do you think the Flyers should get for goalie.. Clarkes comments about their being only 1 great goalie are true.. i think unless you are New Jersey, goaltending in the playoffs will be a concern.. i dont think Joseph is the answer...

Old
12-19-2003, 08:28 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
i am not a flyers fan per se, but who do you think the Flyers should get for goalie.. Clarkes comments about their being only 1 great goalie are true.. i think unless you are New Jersey, goaltending in the playoffs will be a concern.. i dont think Joseph is the answer...
Hey, I'm Krusty!

I have the supliferous nipple to prove it!

Old
12-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Blindside9711

Quote:
Hey Reg, from the TP forums? Joseph isn't the answer, we have 2 young goalies that are apparently very good. Niittymaki, who is currently riding the pine while Hack-job screws the pooch out on the ice on a nightly basis, is a pretty highly touted Finn goalie who had been playing pretty decent in the AHL. I for one would love to see him get a start or two in before Esche comes back. It couldn't be any worse than Hackett blowing games for us.
There's also Roman Malek who was snubbed this off-season in favour of Jeff Back-up. I know why the Flyers would have reservations about bringing in another Czech netminder who demands an NHL contract, but this kid put up sparkling numbers in the Czech Elite League on the way to winning 2 straight championships over there. Why they scoffed at Malek in favour of a washed-up, step-behind goalie who was ready to retire is beyond me.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:44 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
There's also Roman Malek who was snubbed this off-season in favour of Jeff Back-up........
Is that the deal? I thought it had something to do with Malek himself. Something about not necessarily wanting to come over. I don't know that for sure. I may have just assumed he had a problem with our "treatment" of Cechmanek and that was why he wasn't here.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:50 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
Is that the deal? I thought it had something to do with Malek himself. Something about not necessarily wanting to come over. I don't know that for sure. I may have just assumed he had a problem with our "treatment" of Cechmanek and that was why he wasn't here.
Word is he didnt want to play for the Phantoms, and wanted the option to return to the Czech republic if he got sent down. Also, he still has a year left on his contract back home. That could be gotten around, but it would still be a pain in the ass. And of course there is money. Reports differ on how much he wanted and how much Clarke offered him.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Broduer is a level 1 goalie
Giggy, Khabi, Hasek, Kolzig, Lalime, Belfour are level 2 goalies
level 3 goalies are Esche, Dunham, Nurminen, Fernandez
Hackett is a level 4 goalie along with Salo, Turek and Potvin.
Goalies you never want to pin your hopes on.
You can win with a level 1 or 2 goalie, its a long shot with a level 3 goalie (like Osgood) but you have no hope with a level 4 goalie.

If Clarke cant see an upgrade from Hackett to Kolzig, Khabi etc then hes dumber than we thought.

Last edited by Steve L*: 12-19-2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old
12-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
If Clarke cant see an upgrade from Hackett to Kolzig, Khabi etc then hes dumber than we thought.
And what do you suggest he do, since Hackett has a NTC and they're not moving Esche?

Old
12-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
And what do you suggest he do, since Hackett has a NTC and they're not moving Esche?
Send him to the minors for all I care, I knew he wasnt the answer before he signed. I said if he cant find a good goalie then we should go with Esche and Malek.

Clarke got the Flyers into this mess, he should get them out. If the Flyers dont win the cup this year, he should be fired for his continued reliance on 2nd and 3rd rate goaltending and his belief that defence can overcome suspect goaltending.

Old
12-19-2003, 09:58 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Send him to the minors for all I care, I knew he wasnt the answer before he signed. I said if he cant find a good goalie then we should go with Esche and Malek.

Clarke got the Flyers into this mess, he should get them out. If the Flyers dont win the cup this year, he should be fired for his continued reliance on 2nd and 3rd rate goaltending and his belief that defence can overcome suspect goaltending.

tsk. tsk. Bobby. Parent was the one who won you the Stanley Cups, not you. You refuse to learn. So many goalies, and now...so few first rounders left.

Maybe Comrie can strap on the pads; he's as good a gamble as you've made between the posts the last decade.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
tsk. tsk. Bobby. Parent was the one who won you the Stanley Cups, not you. You refuse to learn. So many goalies, and now...so few first rounders left.
Yes, so few first rounders... 7 in the past 6 years.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Blindside9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Word is he didnt want to play for the Phantoms, and wanted the option to return to the Czech republic if he got sent down. Also, he still has a year left on his contract back home. That could be gotten around, but it would still be a pain in the ass. And of course there is money. Reports differ on how much he wanted and how much Clarke offered him.
I would have given it to him, seeing the alternative... a lot cheaper... even if we sent him back to Europe, Hack-job woulda been in retirement and we would have somebody that could most likely turn aside a 100 ft unscreened wrister.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
The only thing I can say is that:

My heart's been broken into pieces by a goalie,can a sweet winger or center mend it back to one piece?

Closed Thread