HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gorges

View Poll Results: What do you think of Gorges
Awful - should be cut from squad next year 2 0.87%
Should be playing in the AHL 16 6.96%
An average defenseman with upside 170 73.91%
S/B a decent second pairing Dman someday 36 15.65%
Fix a couple things and he might be a top pairing D someday. 6 2.61%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
He reminds me a bit of glen wesley. Not the glen wesley in his prime but the wesley we have seen in the last few years. Which is not bad, it just means that I dont see much offensive upside from him at this level. He's team player who competes hard.

I read one of the above comments which says that gorges is not a good puck mover. What's funny is that I remember gorges' first interview in montreal and moving the puck is something he considers to be his strength. From what I've seen, he's not spectacular at moving the puck but not bad either.

I also remember a shark fan on here saying that gorges takes a licking in the boards when he goes to retrieve the puck. He puts himself in somewhat vulnerable positions and I have to agree with that. For example, against the leafs, it looked like he went in head first into the boards during a hit. He keeps on ticking though,

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
He seems pretty tentative out there but he's been positionally solid and I haven't seen him make many mistakes (then again I haven't seen every minute he's ever played in a Habs uniform either). Personally I don't miss Rivet's play one bit with Gorges on the team.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Habitants

well he seems kinda average, we have not seen enough of him yet, but he looks like he has some potential. he is only a kid, like 22, so he has lots of room to grow. i dont know what his contract status is for waivers and what not, but i think he is ok as a bottom pairing guy right now, and could become something better...

at his price tag he is an attractive 5-7th dan, compared to say...niinnima at 2.5mil!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:20 PM
LesCanadiens

The way Rivet played for us this year...this kid has been a fairly noticible improvement/upgrade, and being he's only 22 I do believe he has some good upside. I mean even if he only improves 2%/year (which should be reasonable at this stage in his career span), he'll round out to be a pretty nice D-man. Maybe in the mold of a Robidas.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:47 PM
SOLR

As for player type, its not markov, rather Rafalski, i dont think he got that upside but a poor's man Rafalski is just fine.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Pascal

He reminds me a bit of Quintal in the sense that he is very unspectacular and he's the type of defenseman that you don't notice often because he's just solid and does the little plays well. He has improvements to make of course, he's still young.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Breenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
He reminds me a bit of Quintal in the sense that he is very unspectacular and he's the type of defenseman that you don't notice often because he's just solid and does the little plays well. He has improvements to make of course, he's still young.
Quintal was strong though and tough, Gorges seems to get flung around out there like a feather in the wind. Definitely needs to get stronger on his skates.

You are right though, he is unspectacular.

Breenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
ToysInTheAttic

I like Gorges, as someone stated above he doesn't do anything spectacular, but on the other hand doesn't make major errors. That kind of D man is an asset.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:03 AM
habaholic

Remins me a great deal of Andrew Ference.

Very smart player who uses technique and hockey sense to compensate for a lack of size. Moves very well which is a + in the new NHL and makes a good first pass.

I am pleasantly surprised. To think that we also got a 1st round pick in this deal is amazing. I liked Rivet but this deal makes a whole lot of sense.

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I need to see more of him to get a better feel cause I don't think I've noticed him all that much other then he looks small and skinny. I haven't been overly impressed with him but he hasn't been all that noticeable so that's good for a defensemen. I don't think he's been good or bad but I am glad to read others opinions of him cause I am interested in what he can bring to the team in the future.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 08:34 PM
DarkShark*

Is he still getting decapitated by the other teams' forecheckers when he has the puck in his own zone? Those are my most vivid memories of him . One of the easiest guys in the league to knock off the puck.

DarkShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku K. View Post
Don't worry about the markov comparaison, almost every single under-sized defenseman or average-sized defenseman with offensive upside prospect has been compared to markov at least one time, it's like an unwritten rule around here it seems.

About Gorges, the only time I really noticed him was when he was on the ice for the first two goals in his first game in a habs uniform. Otherwise, he's been good as I thought he should be at this stage of his career, which is being a #6-7 defenceman who limits mistake, works hard and plays his minutes without really getting noticed by the viewer's eyes.

As far as upside is concerned, I don't see Gorges being much better than a solid #5-6 as a Robidas-type defenseman.

Both are under-sized defenseman who works hard but can be pushed around by the bigger forwards in the league. Robidas & Gorges are both smart defenceman who limits mistakes but doesn't have the package to play more than a bottom pairing role. Let's face it, Gorges will never have a significant role on the powerplay while Robidas has been much better offensively at both the junior and AHL level due superior puck-moving abilities and offensive savvy but it doesn't seem to have translated to the NHL level. Gorges will have to work on his puck-moving abilities if he wants to reach what I think is his projected upside. I don't see Gorges also being a main asset on a penalty-killing but is smart & responsible enough to assume a role on a second wave. I don't see him playing constantly versus the opponent's top line as well due to limited skillset and size.

That's basically what I think he'll become if he reaches his upside: about 18 minutes on average, good even-strenght ice time, good but not outstanding on the PK, little if nothing on the powerplay,
smart defenseman who limits mistakes and works hard with good puck-moving abilities. Not much upside IMO.

Very good post. Extremely accurate.

Josh has potential, lets give him some time and see what he can do with some confidence.

So far i am extremely happy with the trade. A 1st rd. pick and a young NHL defenceman with some upside.

now if Gainey will add a Top Center this offseason, and sign Markov and Souray or a replacement for him. We should have a very strong team next year.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Biggsy

From watching Josh in Kelowna id say give him a few years and i think he could be a solid blueliner, needs more size but has good speed makes a good 1st pass smart with the puck and smart with body position.

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 03:30 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
d-man with upside... reminds me of a poor man markov a little bit
i was thinking of a lower case brian cambell , but only if he can add some muscle . so if he muscles up he's a top four d-man , if not he's a #6,7,8 or AHL d-man , i predict the former . i wonder what we'll get with that first rounder from the sharks ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Ismellofhockey

Well so far the comparisons have been (forgive me if I've forgotten some):

- poor man's Markov
- poor man's Brian Campbell
- poor man's Rafalski
- Andrew Ference
- Robidas
- Quintal
- Wesley

Personnally I think he could turn out similar to Rivet with a little less size and a little more speed: average in all aspects of the game but with leadership abilities (apparently).
The guy looks fairly talented, his biggest flaw right now remains his lack of upper body strength which is why I think Carbonneau paired him with Bouillon, upper-body strength master.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
whah?
He meant like boxcar-hobo kind of poor.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
chitownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
What surprise me the most is to see Carbo put him with Bouillon... not the biggest guy around to say the least. The opposition is going to exploit this pairing one day or another.
Another coaching mistake, IMO. Bouillon + Gorges. If I am an opposing coach, I will try to get my best line against these two.

For next year, Gorges should be in the AHL getting a lot of ice time and experience. In his place, should be a Bulldogs first D-man [with at least 3 years in the AHL] playing as a 6th D-man with the Cube as the 7th or the two alternating from game to game.

Streit & Dandy would never play as a forward, that role would be for Bouillon, if it becomes necessary.

How does one pair up their d-men?

First & sixth
Second & fifth
Third & fourth

????
In order to give everyone ice time and progress as the season goes forward. On the PK, looking for the 1 - 4 d-men to take to the ice? Helps to provide the coach with an agile mind in order to make it work. Assign this responsibility to the assistant coach who has the defensive responsibilities.

Or does a coach play your two or four best d-men with your checking line to counteract the opposition's best offensive line?

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote