HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Perezhogin be as good as Zednik?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2003, 11:57 AM
  #1
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Will Perezhogin be as good as Zednik?

Looks like they could be similar in several areas.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 12:04 PM
  #2
nikrag03*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: India
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikrag03*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Looks like they could be similar in several areas.
If Perezhogin keeps imporving to his potential, he willbe a lot better than Zednik.

nikrag03* is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 12:29 PM
  #3
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Looks like they could be similar in several areas.


I don't see many similiar things in their game. Perezhogin doens't have the lower body strength the Zednik does, and that makes a very big difference. Zednik can drive to the net (although he doesn't do this often) and he's hard to knock off the puck. Perezhogin lacks strength but doesnt seem to have the makeup (frame) of Zednik. But Perezhogin I think is faster but both have a very good shot and are goal scorers. I think Perezhogin is way more flashy as he has good stickhandling moves.

montreal is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 01:15 PM
  #4
Marmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I don't see many similiar things in their game. Perezhogin doens't have the lower body strength the Zednik does, and that makes a very big difference. Zednik can drive to the net (although he doesn't do this often) and he's hard to knock off the puck. Perezhogin lacks strength but doesnt seem to have the makeup (frame) of Zednik. But Perezhogin I think is faster but both have a very good shot and are goal scorers. I think Perezhogin is way more flashy as he has good stickhandling moves.
I might add that Perezhogin is a much better playmaker. Some could argue that it is not very difficult to be a better playmaker than Z-Man

Marmax is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 01:17 PM
  #5
hockey_nut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
I think his potential is greater than Zednik's.

I see Zeds as a 50-point guy... Perezhogin is more of a 60+ player.

hockey_nut is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
  #6
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 50
Perez stickhandling is also better than Zednik , he has a lot more trick in his bag too IMO .

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 04:37 PM
  #7
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
From what I remember watching Perezhogin play he is slippery and quick and he is always trying to find a way to get a good shot on net.

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
  #8
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Perezhogin have the potential to become a more complete player than Zednik. Not as physical as Zednik but better deffensively. I wish we could have the chance to see him play a couple of game by the end of the season.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
  #9
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Fine. Play Zednik on one line and Perezhogin on another. It's not a question of either-or.

One thing Perezhogin will never do is take as many shots on goal as Zednik. Look at his AHL stats.


Last edited by Corey: 12-06-2003 at 06:39 PM.
Corey is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 01:42 AM
  #10
Playr050
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Playr050
I recall Savard talking during the WJC either last year of the year before, and compared Perezhogin to Zednik. "A Zednik with better hands" he said.

Playr050 is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 07:43 AM
  #11
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,958
vCash: 500
I don't think Perezoghin will be as good as Zednik.

I think Perezoghin's lack of strength, both physically, and more specifically in his legs are a big difference.

Zednik drives to, and in more cases, around the net using brute force to battle of defenseman, and that is how he creates his shooting lanes.

Perezoghin does no such thing.

Zednik gets 30 goals cause he has a good shot and creates opportunies for himself like previously mentioned.

The fact that Perezoghin doesn't do that in the AHL, means he will have zero chance of doing it in the NHL.

I frankly don't see much of comparison between the two as they are different style of players.

I see more Valeri Bure in Perezoghin then I see Richard Zednik.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 07:56 AM
  #12
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!
 
gunnerdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Perezhogin have the potential to become a more complete player than Zednik. Not as physical as Zednik but better deffensively. I wish we could have the chance to see him play a couple of game by the end of the season.
Im going to Toronto on the 2nd of January, so the 3rd i'll be going to see a Bulldog game... Can't wait to se Perezhogin play. I saw him at the rookie tournament. He wasnt very convincing. I hope he'll have a good game on the 3rd.

gunnerdom is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 08:05 AM
  #13
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I don't think Perezoghin will be as good as Zednik.

I think Perezoghin's lack of strength, both physically, and more specifically in his legs are a big difference.

Zednik drives to, and in more cases, around the net using brute force to battle of defenseman, and that is how he creates his shooting lanes.

Perezoghin does no such thing.

Zednik gets 30 goals cause he has a good shot and creates opportunies for himself like previously mentioned.

The fact that Perezoghin doesn't do that in the AHL, means he will have zero chance of doing it in the NHL.

.
Perezhogin is 20 years old, dude. It took Zednik a long time to establish himself in this league as a second line scorer. Unless Perezhogin's development stalls unexpectedly, he'll probably be a more dangerous offensive player than RZ is now, and it could well happen before he's 25 years old. By all indications, he's making a very good transition to north america. He's got decent size, very good wheels, well above average puck poise, a heavy shot (by all accounts) and he's a crafty playmaker and passer who can play either wing. There are solid reasons why this kid went in the top thirty. Comparing him to a fully developed Richard Zednik and saying he won't be as good as RZ is premature, at best. At its worst, it's, well, worse than that....

JV is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 12:02 PM
  #14
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I don't think Perezoghin will be as good as Zednik.

I think Perezoghin's lack of strength, both physically, and more specifically in his legs are a big difference.

Zednik drives to, and in more cases, around the net using brute force to battle of defenseman, and that is how he creates his shooting lanes.

Perezoghin does no such thing.

Zednik gets 30 goals cause he has a good shot and creates opportunies for himself like previously mentioned.

The fact that Perezoghin doesn't do that in the AHL, means he will have zero chance of doing it in the NHL.

I frankly don't see much of comparison between the two as they are different style of players.

I see more Valeri Bure in Perezoghin then I see Richard Zednik.

I agree I don't see Perezhogin and Zednik as a good comparison. Zednik has great lower body strength, and Perezhogin does not. Zednik has great balance due to his lower body frame, and Perezhogin will have problems getting knocked off the puck and along the boards.

Zednik does drive to the shooting lanes, and behind the net, whereas Perezhogin needs to use his fancy stickwork and speed to get by defensemen.

But it should read Zednik GOT 30 goals, not gets, cause he got it once so far. There's a difference. He has a good shot, but he rarely creates things for himself. His one armed move behind the net is more of a joke. He needs Koivu to an extent, as he can get open and Koivu can find him then Zednik can launch one.

But give me a break, Perezhogin doesn't do that in the AHL? Based on what, the 25 games he's played? He's never played outside the Russian system, so I'd wait a lot longer then 25 games before saying what he will be able to do. But Perezhogin does in fact create chances on his own, and he has a very good wrist shot.

montreal is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 12:12 PM
  #15
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Perezhogin can easily become better then Zednik. His shot is just as good, his skating is just as fast, his dekes are way better, he can make unreal passes(like that one to plekanec a month ago, jaw dropper really)and Zedniks hockey sense is not even close to Perezhogins. The only real problem he has is lower body strength, I though he was somewhat weak on the puck and had a tendency to fall down too often just because of a shove.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 03:31 PM
  #16
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Perezhogin can easily become better then Zednik. His shot is just as good, his skating is just as fast, his dekes are way better, he can make unreal passes(like that one to plekanec a month ago, jaw dropper really)and Zedniks hockey sense is not even close to Perezhogins. The only real problem he has is lower body strength, I though he was somewhat weak on the puck and had a tendency to fall down too often just because of a shove.
I would like to see this pass... Do you have a link somewhere on the internet?

Russeltown is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 07:21 PM
  #17
Habsolument
Registered User
 
Habsolument's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: St-Lambert, Qc
Country: Poland
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
I would like to see this pass... Do you have a link somewhere on the internet?

I can only tell you it's the kind of passes Ottawa Senators are sometimes making that I always dreamed of. It really was unexpected as it passed between many players sticks and came from the board on the right near the top of the FO circle to the left of the goal in 0.5 sec. Plekanek wasn't expecting the puck either and missed the opportunity but a great play nevertheless.

Habsolument is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 08:42 PM
  #18
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
. Comparing him to a fully developed Richard Zednik and saying he won't be as good as RZ is premature, at best. At its worst, it's, well, worse than that....
So um, what did you think this thread was about then? If you don't think you can compare Zed/Perez, why did you even click this thread?

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 08:47 PM
  #19
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
But give me a break, Perezhogin doesn't do that in the AHL? Based on what, the 25 games he's played? He's never played outside the Russian system, so I'd wait a lot longer then 25 games before saying what he will be able to do. But Perezhogin does in fact create chances on his own, and he has a very good wrist shot.
Well what else would I base it on? Of course it's based on the 25 games he's played in the AHL - that's the extent of his North American career!

Seems kind of obvious.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 06:01 AM
  #20
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
So um, what did you think this thread was about then? If you don't think you can compare Zed/Perez, why did you even click this thread?
The whole point is that you can't compare the players as they are today. As a way of passing time, it's perfectly reasonable to ask whether Perezhogin will be as good as Zednik is now. But what that involves is comparing the players at a common reference point, which obviously has to be at age 20 or younger. And that's where you lost your way, because you started comparing a physically mature and seasoned NHL player of 27 (Zed) to a 20 year old who just arrived in North America. Sorry to have to break the news to you....

JV is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 06:06 AM
  #21
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Well what else would I base it on? Of course it's based on the 25 games he's played in the AHL - that's the extent of his North American career!

Seems kind of obvious.
Yeah, it's obvious that it's not a valid basis of comparison. If you don't have the data to make a comparison, you could simply decline to do it. But to do it, and then act as though there's nothing specious about it because "that's all I had" is pretty weird.

JV is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 06:22 AM
  #22
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
After two full (and solid) seasons in the WHL with the Winter Hawks, Zednik as a 20 year old (born 1976) made the jump to the AHL (Portland Pirates). He was called up late in the season. His numbers?

1996-97 Port AHL 56 15 20 35 70
1996-97 Was NHL 11 02 01 03 04

It's not as though the guy was tearing up the AHL at a point per game pace. Plus, he'd had two years of north american hockey to get used to it.

The fact is, Perezhogin is now a better prospect than Zednik was at the same age. Perezhogin was +9 at the WJC and was arguably one of the two or three most effective Russian players on a gold medal winning team. He's a better pure scorer now than Zed was at the same age. He's at least as good a skater (probably better) and he's about the same size. There's every reason to believe that when Perezhogin is fully developed he'll be about 6-1 and 205 pounds.

JV is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 07:00 AM
  #23
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
What kind of team was Portland in 1996? First place. Their top scorers (games, goals, assists, points):


Andrew Brunette............................... 50-22-51-73
Jaroslav Svejkovsky........................... 54-38-28-66
Kent Hulst........................................ 48-19-31-50
Benoit Gratton.................................. 76-06-40-46
Patrick Boileau.................................. 67-16-28-44
Norm Batherson................................ 53-15-28-43
Daniel Laperriere................................ 69 -14-26-40
Anson Carter.................................... 27-19-19-38
Richard Zednik................................ 56-15-20-35

Washington liked what they saw enough to call him up, but he was evidently no more of a scoring threat in his third season of north american hockey than Kent Hulst, Patrick Boileau, Norm Batherson et al. I wonder if he wasn't a bit skinnier than he is today as well.

JV is offline  
Old
12-13-2003, 02:56 PM
  #24
Rather Gingerly 1*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
I used the Zednik comparsion to Perezhogin because of Andre Savard's comments last year. I knew they were not the exact type of player but should have similar impacts on a team.

However, by reading some of the posts it sounds like Perezhogin is a year or more away from reaching the NHL and probaby 4-5 years from reaching his peak.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 06:35 AM
  #25
Sonik
Registered User
 
Sonik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Proud Habs Land
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
But Perezhogin I think is faster but both have a very good shot and are goal scorers.
I haven't seen Perezhogin play, but I doubt he skates faster than Zednik. This guy's a rocket!

Sonik is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.