HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is this our 3rd pick in the first round?

Old
03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
is this our 3rd pick in the first round?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=357571

this guy is a huge risk. He may turn out to be a 1st line power forward or he may be the next Bonsignore. He certainly has the 10 cent head.

Anyways, we may the only team that can afford to risk a high draft pick on him. His skill is way too good to last long in the 2nd round. We are going to get two pretty good players with our 1st two picks so maybe Lowe should swing for the fences with the anaheim pick?

from espn

14. Akim Aliu (Sudbury Wolves, OHL)
Aliu has an incredible assortment of skills and abilities but it is his attitude and personality that give teams the greatest pause. He has dominated games at times, but his off-ice problems (he fought with former Windsor teammate Steve Downie during a practice) and his lack of consistency have thrown up some red flags.
NHL comparable: Shayne Corson

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:27 PM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

he may be the next Bonsignore.

Aliu has an incredible assortment of skills and abilities but it is his attitude and personality that give teams the greatest pause. He has dominated games at times, but his off-ice problems (he fought with former Windsor teammate Steve Downie during a practice) and his lack of consistency have thrown up some red flags.
IF we pick him... I vote this...

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:33 PM
40oz

I would not hesitate to pick him in the 2nd round, but this is a pretty solid draft and i would rather spend that 1st on someone more reliable

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Anyways, we may the only team that can afford to risk a high draft pick on him. His skill is way too good to last long in the 2nd round. We are going to get two pretty good players with our 1st two picks so maybe Lowe should swing for the fences with the anaheim pick?
I thought we still had our 2nd round pick??? If we do, that's pick 37(I think)and falling fast. I think we could grab him at that spot. I don't know if he's even worth it though, kid has a ton of baggage, but like you say he's got a great upside and we have a ton of picks.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:39 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

No. I would take someone like Sweatt, Gillies or Cross at that spot.

And then with our own high 2nd we can try for Aliu.

In my perfect draft we do this * = my pick

1 of Turris*/Kane/Alzner

1 of Esposito/Cherepanov*/Petrecki

1 of Sweatt/Gillies/Cross*

Then we can start looking at guys like Aliu.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Mr Sakich

lets say the ducks finish with the 30th pick, this is what was drafted with that spot from 1995-2006

mike mcBain
josh green
Jean-Marc Pelletier
Kyle Rossiter
Luke Sellars
Jeff Taffe
Dave Steckel
Jim Slater
Shawn Belle
Andy Rogers
Vladimir Mihalik
Matt Corrente

not exactly anything to write home about. Lowe may as well swing for the fences

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Double Agent*

Quote:
from espn

Is this supposed to be a compliment? If that's his upside, a big pass from me.

Double Agent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Agent View Post
Is this supposed to be a compliment? If that's his upside, a big pass from me.
Well when Corson was in Edmonton he was one of the top power forward's in the NHL.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Double Agent*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Well when Corson was in Edmonton he was one of the top power forward's in the NHL.
He was okay, I guess. I just personally couldn't stand him.

Double Agent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:10 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:

this guy is a huge risk. He may turn out to be a 1st line power forward or he may be the next Bonsignore. He certainly has the 10 cent head.

from espn

Ha ha, I think the Shayne Corson comparision is kinda funny, he ended up being a terribel locker room guy in TO.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:30 PM
schutney

Mark my words, this guy will be a star in the NHL, he is going to be exactly like Todd Bertuzzi. He will be a headache to have but an absolute force when he is on his game.
He will be very similar to moody NBA stars ala Iverson, Carter, etc.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
No. I would take someone like Sweatt, Gillies or Cross at that spot.

And then with our own high 2nd we can try for Aliu.

In my perfect draft we do this * = my pick

1 of Turris*/Kane/Alzner

1 of Esposito/Cherepanov*/Petrecki

1 of Sweatt/Gillies/Cross*

Then we can start looking at guys like Aliu.
Honestly S7ark you took the keys right oput of my fingers great list!. My picks would be from that list:

1.) Kane or Turris (personally i cant choose)
2.) Petrecki (im a massive massive fan of his)
3.) Sweatt or Backlund or maybe Cunti if he sorts his crap out.

Aliu has upside, but if you need a powerforward, JVR is your man, surefire NHLer and has an adorable face looking like a 16 yr old. Sort of a baby-faced scorer. But Alui has left his team for the second time in two or three years, his question marks are too big for us to answer with a 1st round selection, i say use the 1st and 2nd rounds risk free, then go for the risk takers with lower end picks IMO.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Honestly S7ark you took the keys right oput of my fingers great list!. My picks would be from that list:

1.) Kane or Turris (personally i cant choose)
2.) Petrecki (im a massive massive fan of his)
3.) Sweatt or Backlund or maybe Cunti if he sorts his crap out.

Aliu has upside, but if you need a powerforward, JVR is your man, surefire NHLer and has an adorable face looking like a 16 yr old. Sort of a baby-faced scorer. But Alui has left his team for the second time in two or three years, his question marks are too big for us to answer with a 1st round selection, i say use the 1st and 2nd rounds risk free, then go for the risk takers with lower end picks IMO.
The thing is there is no such things as safe picks, and risky picks in a draft. Do you remember when we drafted Deveraeaux, and he was the "safe" pick. Mind you he did get injured, and that shortened up his career he still did not amount to much. A huge example was in 1997, when the Ottawa Senators did not take hometown boy Matt Zultek who was supposed to be the "Safe pick" and went for the homerun in Hossa.

Old
03-18-2007, 07:46 PM
nafrelio

IF NYI continue to spiral downward as they have momentarily and IF Montreal, Toronto, Carolina, NYR, etc all pull ahead of them (i.e.Dipietro with a concussion???), that pick might be a top ten pick. A lot of IFs I know but it could come down to the wire over there.

If they don't go that low, I would prefer to up the ante on the second pick (depending on how the draft goes and who's available at that time) and package our ANA pick with NYI pick if there is someone still there worth having. If we get a top three or four pick (someone we "know" will turn out), and NYI's pick is in the middle of the pack, why not try to go higher? As Mr Sakich has pointed out, there is a slim chance of landing anything special at the end of the first round (I'm sure it happens). IF there is a player with better upside still available and Lowe can find a taker, upgrade the second pick. I know that there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between guys after the top 10-12ish, so perhaps we'll be in a place to get two picks in the upper echelon. IMO, better to have 2 guys with greater chance of making it than two or three guys who might be borderline. In the same way, If we don't get into the top five (or wherever there seems to be a talent dropoff), I think Lowe should try to swing a deal.

Intersting to see how this all plays out.

My ideal world*:
1. Kane*/Turris/Cherepanov/Alzner
2. Ellerby*/Gagner/Mayorov - if we can get guys at this level with NYI's pick then...
3. Backlund*/Aliu/swing for the fenses

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
The thing is there is no such things as safe picks, and risky picks in a draft. Do you remember when we drafted Deveraeaux, and he was the "safe" pick. Mind you he did get injured, and that shortened up his career he still did not amount to much. A huge example was in 1997, when the Ottawa Senators did not take hometown boy Matt Zultek who was supposed to be the "Safe pick" and went for the homerun in Hossa.
Oh most definetly, anything can happen. But i do believe there is a degree of more safeness in some picks more than others, would you agree?? For e.g. lets compare JVR to say Luca Cunti. If both these guys were available who would you take? JVR, who is said to have a complete game, and is an amazing Powerforward prospect or Cunti, who has amazing hands and is a deadly scorer, but questions over his Work ethic, attitude and his desire to come over have arisen, with that in mind who do you take? I'm not bashing you, because i definetly agree with what your saying, but precedent and info like that have to come into play when using your pick, especially one as high (1st rounder) as that.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Tyrolean

Always do safe consensus picks in the 1st round. We can't afford to be set back another 5 years!

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
lets say the ducks finish with the 30th pick, this is what was drafted with that spot from 1995-2006

mike mcBain
josh green
Jean-Marc Pelletier
Kyle Rossiter
Luke Sellars
Jeff Taffe
Dave Steckel
Jim Slater
Shawn Belle
Andy Rogers
Vladimir Mihalik
Matt Corrente

not exactly anything to write home about. Lowe may as well swing for the fences
pretty funny...Rossiter is selling Real estate in edmonton now...his ads go 'buy from an ex- hard working nhl'er' too funny

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
40oz

realistically i would like to pick

1st -Turris/Alzner/Voracek/JVR
2nd - Blum/Petrecki
3rd - Eller/Sweatt/

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:13 PM
TheGreatone94

If it was between Sweatt and Aliu with our ANA pick, I would have to take Sweatt. If he was available at our second round pick, I would seriously consider him. However, Cunti might also be available at that spot. Dream situation would be to trade later picks in the draft for someone else's second and grab both. Imagine if we had Cherapanov,Petrecki,Sweatt, Aliu, and Cunti all in the first two rounds?

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Who are we kidding? Ideal world -- trade all picks and Horcoff to Pittsburgh for Malkin.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

To hell with high risk picks early in the draft, hopefully this is our last time drafting in the top 7 with our own pick for a long time. Make the best of it, don't just piss it away. If we can manage to get 2 top 10 picks, this could be a great draft for us.

03-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Cerebral

I would consider taking him in the 2nd round but I'd prefer taking someone like Cross (doesn't he seem like a typical Oilers pick?), Sweatt or Backlund with our third 1st rounder.

03-18-2007, 11:47 PM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Oh most definetly, anything can happen. But i do believe there is a degree of more safeness in some picks more than others, would you agree?? For e.g. lets compare JVR to say Luca Cunti. If both these guys were available who would you take? JVR, who is said to have a complete game, and is an amazing Powerforward prospect or Cunti, who has amazing hands and is a deadly scorer, but questions over his Work ethic, attitude and his desire to come over have arisen, with that in mind who do you take? I'm not bashing you, because i definetly agree with what your saying, but precedent and info like that have to come into play when using your pick, especially one as high (1st rounder) as that.
Yea I would definitely take JVR in this situation, I'm just not a fan of hearing the term safe pick. I just have a really good feeling about this Aliu kid, I'll be the first to eat crow if he turns out to suck. But he just seems to have a lot of passion even though he does moronic things, I seem him as a player who gets a bad rap and then slips in the draft and turns out to be a star.

Old
03-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Bergeron47

I say take a shot at it. If we get enough of these kind of players (Schremp, Nilsson, Mikhnov, Aliu) one of them has got to pull through based on odds.

Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I say take a shot at it. If we get enough of these kind of players (Schremp, Nilsson, Mikhnov, Aliu) one of them has got to pull through based on odds.

Why is Nilsson on that list?

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote