HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ben Guite

Old
03-18-2007, 09:52 PM
AvsGuy

vCash: 500
Ben Guite

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...66300&tab=vidt

I was checking out his highlights at nhl.com (above link) and while he only has 2 goals, they were both really nice. I haven't watched him play, but if you watch those two goals, he seems really smart with the puck, and a deadly shot. Is he being underused? I haven't seen enough to know, but we could use more timely goals like his.

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

He's got a good release and he's got decent speed. His biggest asset is his ability to muck it up and play with a level of grit that is so desirable in a 4th line checker. He put up 30-or so points in the AHL in 40 or so games, so he has some offense in there. Could he be a decent 3rd liner? Probably.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Bam Beet*

I wouldn't say he is being "under used". He is a shutdown center and is being played like one. He is on the fourth line but gets put out there for important faceoffs and sometimes against other teams top lines. He's got good size, pretty good speed and decent hands. What I like is he throws hits and provides plenty of energy. If he keeps up his play he'll be a mainstay on our fourth line next year. I'd say him and Lappy will be on our fourth line/energy line next year, the only question is who will be there LW? Parker? Rycroft? Someone new?

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 03:06 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
another great un-hyped signing by FG!

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
I wouldn't say he is being "under used". He is a shutdown center and is being played like one. He is on the fourth line but gets put out there for important faceoffs and sometimes against other teams top lines. He's got good size, pretty good speed and decent hands. What I like is he throws hits and provides plenty of energy. If he keeps up his play he'll be a mainstay on our fourth line next year. I'd say him and Lappy will be on our fourth line/energy line next year, the only question is who will be there LW? Parker? Rycroft? Someone new?
Hinote with a softer touch?

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post

I was checking out his highlights at nhl.com (above link) and while he only has 2 goals, they were both really nice. I haven't watched him play, but if you watch those two goals, he seems really smart with the puck, and a deadly shot. Is he being underused? I haven't seen enough to know, but we could use more timely goals like his.
He's a solid 4th line center. Limited offensive skills, works hard, decent speed, plays a physical game. These types of players are not hard to find.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:18 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:

This may be a dollar late and week old but I personally think Guite is single-handedly the reason the AVs realized it was okay to actually touch another player this year. He was the one spark that ignited physical play and it is the one reason he is still playing here instead of in the AHL. My greatest fear is that while we are better defensively we are starting to slip a bit on the physicality side (which Guite helped us with.) I've often said that physical players that wind up here end up neutered. I have no idea why living in Denver snips the balls right out people but I'm seeing more poke-checking from the team and less body-checking lately. Call it what you will but I think there is an order from on high that mandates you can't play physical in this town...even if that is your strength.

I love the run we are on and there is no doubt in my mind that Guite is a big part of it. But it seems like he doesn't bark as much as he did when he first got called up or as much as he did when he got called up the second time after the Bore-Star break. In fact...we played really well with Parker in the lineup but he's been scratched a bit lately too. I have to believe that the AVs management/coaches simply don't want physical play in the game. They are happy with improved defensive play and are not concerned with the lack of body-banging. That will eventually bite them in the butt down the stretch. It's working for now, but I see a trend away from physical play and towards more skill play that is troubling me.

Just my two cents...

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Belgican

I really liked that run for the puck in the third period, Guite was flying to put some pressure on the SJ Defense, and I think he went just back to the bench for a replacement, total team spirit, I loved it, he was on the ice for 20 seconds

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
avspatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
This may be a dollar late and week old but I personally think Guite is single-handedly the reason the AVs realized it was okay to actually touch another player this year. He was the one spark that ignited physical play.
Just my two cents...
LOL Thank heavens someone decided to hit . . . what a concept!

avspatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Doctor House

Quote:

I know Ben personally and I still get bits of info from his family here in MTL. He will give you his 100% and I really hope the Avs sign him because given a little stability I believe he will produce more.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
I know Ben personally and I still get bits of info from his family here in MTL. He will give you his 100% and I really hope the Avs sign him because given a little stability I believe he will produce more.
He's easy to root for. When I saw him actually dive headfirst into a scrum in front of the net, I knew he'd do anything it takes to win. He's pretty handy on faceoffs, too. Great story, I'm hoping he sticks in the NHL, hopefully with us.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote