Notices

Big Point Shot

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2003, 09:08 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Big Point Shot

Why doesn't Sutter play Montador on the PP?
We need a good hard shot from back there, and Montador can supply that. He was pretty effective in Saint John Quaterbacking the PP.

Old
12-13-2003, 10:09 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Why doesn't Sutter play Montador on the PP?
We need a good hard shot from back there, and Montador can supply that. He was pretty effective in Saint John Quaterbacking the PP.
I think he does, occasionally, I saw him PPing a couple times tonight, I think that Sutter is really not that picky about which D-men are out on the PP, just Leopold tends to be one of them. I think the PP just needs some time, it'll start scoring again, along with the rest of the team, hopefully, lol.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:07 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I think he does, occasionally, I saw him PPing a couple times tonight, I think that Sutter is really not that picky about which D-men are out on the PP, just Leopold tends to be one of them. I think the PP just needs some time, it'll start scoring again, along with the rest of the team, hopefully, lol.
Any team would have trouble scoring with their top 3 centers out and one playing injured.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:46 PM
FLAMESFAN

Montador gets less time than Regher, or Gauthier; of which he has a better point shot. I just think he could be used a little more on the PP, it could help.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:03 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser Wonder
Any team would have trouble scoring with their top 3 centers out and one playing injured.
I agree for sure.

I hear ya, Montador does have a nice shot, but Regehr offense is really picking up, Gauthier? Good point, though he does seem to like to shoot, on a side note I was looking back, Denis Gauthier had 75 points in the last junior year in the Q, I mean I realize he was older and in the Q and all, but 75? Crazy.

Old
12-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
Montador gets less time than Regher, or Gauthier; of which he has a better point shot. I just think he could be used a little more on the PP, it could help.
Actually Montador averages 1:06 per game on the PP and Gauthier averages 0:34. Warrener is slightly ahead of Monty with Ference, Leopold, Lydman and Regehr leading the way by a fair margin.

On the Regehr topic I see his PP time this year as an investment in his offensive skills that will pay off down the line (later this year and for the rest of his career.) He's quite young and still improving in all areas so there's no point relegating him to be a stay at home defensemen when he has the potential to be a great all-around player. Also this allows you to play Regehr and Leopold together in every situation and let their chemistry grow without having to force them to adapt to different partners on the PP or PK then they are used to 5 on 5. It might be a little painful at times because it's a work in progress but I fully believe that it will pay off if we're patient.

Old
12-15-2003, 04:18 PM
FLAMESFAN

Well then Regehr should be working more on his point shot. Those weak wristers he lets go will go in the odd time, but a big hard slap shot from the point is what we really need.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:57 PM
kruezer

True, but I like how he gets it on net. I think he could still become a solid both-ways d-man. He's cracking at 6 goal 27 point pace right now, which ain't too shabby.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Zhackpot

Montador has a big shot but he still has Al MacInnis rookie syndrome and will wind up and shoot it into a shot blocker. Has to learn to side step those guys but can't do that until he keeps his head up.

Regehr used to have this same problem but is now more akin to put an accurate, low to the ice wrister on net and have it defelcted rather than a booming slap shot be blocked or miss the net.

It would be nice to have that 100 mph slapper from the point but until Montador uses his head at the point Sutter doesn't want to risk giving up a 2 on 1 or breakaway short handed because of a Montador mistake.

Montador's play otherwise has been excellent and I have no doubt other teams looking for defencemen will come asking for him.

May not be a bad move to move him at the trade deadline for more scoring help if the Flames are in a playoff spot. I know most teams need D but come playoffs goals are harder to come by and the Flames already struggle in that department on a regular basis while their D has been much improved.

Plus with Phaneuf and Ramholt looking like they may be ready to make the jump when the NHL has their next season I say it's only time before Montador is history.

If Ference could regain some of his scoring touch that he had in junior ( 180 + points in about 260 games) he could possibly fill the void.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:56 AM
FLAMESFAN

Good post, that's more of the explanation I was looking for
I agree with you, and this is the reasoning for my post. Everyone knows that we're deep on D, and that one will most likely be moved. Why not showcase Montador a little? Show other teams he can produce on the PP, and that he's a very dependable depth defenceman?
That way maybe we can move him for something this year, instead of losing him for nothing.
BTW - as long as Leopold, Phanuef, Lydman, Ramholt and Ference are around, I doubt Regehr will be getting much PP time in the future. I think he should just work on being nasty in front of the net

Closed Thread