HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: University

Old
03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Maddas*

vCash: 500
I think everybody's missing the point here. Accounting is probably the most boring field you could choose. I beg you to reconsider. I BEG YOU MAN. BEG YOU. TO RECONSIDER.

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddas View Post
I think everybody's missing the point here. Accounting is probably the most boring field you could choose. I beg you to reconsider. I BEG YOU MAN. BEG YOU. TO RECONSIDER.
I gotta agree on this one.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:23 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Yeah I'm currently an accounting major, and after 2 and a half years, it's just no fun. Switching to Finance.

Seriously, don't do accounting unless you are boring and want to be boring the rest of your life.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:32 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
u have to do a preparation year at University of Montreal and then you can go to HEC

For business HEC and Concordia are the best in Montreal
That's what i heard too.

I'm studiying economony @ UQAM which is a strong field there, and I think UQAM students are getting the best results in accounting too. But the main advantages of UQAM vs HEC are is location (HEC is in the middle of nowhere) and an overall better atmosphere, where people are more inclined to help others.

Btw, I don't know many people who didn't change their mind somewhere in Cegep about their career orientation...(and BEWARE, Cegep is full of distraction...)

And econonomy is to way to go for those who want big jobs in finance. The field of study is much larger and more fun. Finance students can't even do a derivative...

Last edited by LeMAD: 03-20-2007 at 07:47 AM.
LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:44 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Finance students can't even do a derivative...
LOL. what university do you go to? That's like all we do here.

felixd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:50 AM
CH4

Quote:
haha that is my opinion too; I'm a 3rd year student at Bishop's University in Lennoxville, it is a good business program in a very small university (<2000 students) so small classes, you know everyone...

I think it could be an option to consider....

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:56 AM
terreur

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's what i heard too.

I'm studiying economony @ UQAM which is a strong field there, and I think UQAM students are getting the best results in accounting too. But the main advantages of UQAM vs HEC are is location (HEC is in the middle of nowhere) and an overall better atmosphere, where people are more inclined to help others.

Btw, I don't know many people who didn't change their mind somewhere in Cegep about their career orientation...(and BEWARE, Cegep is full of distraction...)

And econonomy is to way to go for those who want big jobs in finance. The field of study is much larger and more fun. Finance students can't even do a derivative...

I agree with you. I am currently studying economics at U de M, and I have to say I am really happy of my choice. It is funny you mention that finance students can't do derivative, because people told me to stay away from UQAM for economics since there is no math in the program. (I haven't really check it's only based on what I,ve heard) So are you doing math in your program, or you take math courses as options?

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:57 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
LOL. what university do you go to? That's like all we do here.
Ok, maybe you can , but economy students are stronger in maths anyways...

Old
03-20-2007, 09:15 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
I agree with you. I am currently studying economics at U de M, and I have to say I am really happy of my choice. It is funny you mention that finance students can't do derivative, because people told me to stay away from UQAM for economics since there is no math in the program. (I haven't really check it's only based on what I,ve heard) So are you doing math in your program, or you take math courses as options?
Most courses are options, so you can choose to do heavy maths or not. But there aren't a lot of math-only obligatory courses, outside of the basic 3 classes of "méthode d'analyse economique" and "initiation à l'économétrie". But you learn maths in pretty much every classes. For exemple, my "Analyse de projets d'Investissement" class is great as you learn a mix of finance and microeconomics. It's really a matter of options as i said, and i prefer to do heavy maths for now, to keep all options opened. But I wouldn't like ending up doing finance in a bank, 80 hours a weeks, 200 000$ a year or not (I talked to a former UQAM economy student who finished his master 3-4 years ago, and he's now doing this kind of job for the "Banque Nationale", which consist of creating models on a computer to automatically buy/sell stocks. He couldn't tell me his salary, but when I said 100 000$, he said it was way more than that...

Old
03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I did my BBA specialized in accounting at HEC. Good school. Don't let the "student life" get too much into you though.

I'm doing my CMA (right in my SLP) right now. I talk a lot with people who did their BBA in other universities (U de Laval, UQAM, U de Sehrbrooke). All in all, you get the same kind of education everywhere.

The only thing bad with the HEC is that they will try to make you think that only the best students go there and when you got your BBA, you're the best. And they will often succeed. I get the "oh, you got to the HEC, you think you're better than everyone over there, huh?" talk a lot.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
habfan4

For undergrad (save for engineering) the overall reputation of the school is the most important factor, particularly if you want to continue your post secondary education (i.e. graduate school or professional studies). If you have your heart set on studying in Quebec, then McGill has to be the top choice.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
IcE ColD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I'm currently an accounting major, and after 2 and a half years, it's just no fun. Switching to Finance.

Seriously, don't do accounting unless you are boring and want to be boring the rest of your life.
Guys... that's called generalization. I could say Finance or whatever you guys study in boring. I don't. If the guy wants to try accounting, let him try. He'll see for himself if he likes it or not.

And thinking that accountant are mostly boring people...

Old
03-20-2007, 09:30 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
...The only thing bad with the HEC is that they will try to make you think that only the best students go there and when you got your BBA, you're the best. And they will often succeed. I get the "oh, you got to the HEC, you think you're better than everyone over there, huh?" talk a lot.
This is not an uncommon occurrence, I heard this kind of talk frequently when I went to Dalhousie and constantly when I went to the University of Toronto. From the level of self importance exhibited by Queen's students, the same is true in a great many places.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Artie

The educational part of the majority of the universities are pretty similar. They all have good professors and bad professors. They all have their pros and cons when you look at the education and reputation of the school. What you really need to establish is which place has the best SOCIAL LIFE. Which place are you going to enjoy the most, which place will you meet the best drinking buddies. At the end of 3, 4, 5 or even 6 years everyone gets out with a degree and gets a job. But the experience and stories will be with you forever.

So I suggest you visit a few of the universities and try to experience the culture at each one. Then decide.

Things to look for:

Price of beer on campus
Proximity to other drinking establishments for the late classes
Is it a Pretzel-free environment
Social Clubs and how many can you join
Average number of Pub Crawls and Beer Bashes per year

just my 2 cents FWIW

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:48 AM
terreur

Quote:
Most courses are options, so you can choose to do heavy maths or not. But there aren't a lot of math-only obligatory courses, outside of the basic 3 classes of "méthode d'analyse economique" and "initiation à l'économétrie". But you learn maths in pretty much every classes. For exemple, my "Analyse de projets d'Investissement" class is great as you learn a mix of finance and microeconomics. It's really a matter of options as i said, and i prefer to do heavy maths for now, to keep all options opened. But I wouldn't like ending up doing finance in a bank, 80 hours a weeks, 200 000$ a year or not (I talked to a former UQAM economy student who finished his master 3-4 years ago, and he's now doing this kind of job for the "Banque Nationale", which consist of creating models on a computer to automatically buy/sell stocks. He couldn't tell me his salary, but when I said 100 000$, he said it was way more than that...
Good... that is exactly the kind of job I would like to get. Maybe not the 80 hours a week, but I really want to end up working in a bank. I think that with the revolution of technology and the way business are runned nowadays the easiest way to make a lot of money is either in the banking wolrd or get lucky on the stock market.

Old
03-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Skyblaze

Artie brings a good point but he forgot this one :

Quality of the school's football club!

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
haha that is my opinion too; I'm a 3rd year student at Bishop's University in Lennoxville, it is a good business program in a very small university (<2000 students) so small classes, you know everyone...

I think it could be an option to consider....
So do I. Bishop's is a good school. Classes are all small, which is an advantage to the school. If you're looking for a place where you'll have fun for 4 years with crazy people, then that has to be your choice. The sports team at BU have some of the crazyest fans there is. I haven't been to many football game, however Lacrosse has some interesting fans, so do basketball and rugby.

As another poster said however undergrad school all have a similar product to offer. It's definitely what's around it that you wanna choose.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Goalie3636

Quote:
Quote:
ahah yes, I've heard this all before, heck my accounting teacher even told me that I had to be sure that this is what I want to do cause I could get bored, but he also said that it depends on what kind of accounting you get into. One thing I would never do is become a Chartered Accountant but Certified General/Management Accountant can be very interesting.

Quote:

Two questions: What University are you at and what program are you in?

Goalie3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:04 PM
marvelousmotion

I chose McGill.. simply because its reputation. It is a known fact that around the world, people only know about McGill in Canada. Just for your info, in China, people think McGill is like the "Harvard" of Canada. It has the best International Reputation, hands down.

However, if you want to work in Quebec for your entire life, then you can consider HEC and Concordia for accounting. They're both recognized here in the business field.

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 06:17 PM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
I chose McGill.. simply because its reputation. It is a known fact that around the world, people only know about McGill in Canada. Just for your info, in China, people think McGill is like the "Harvard" of Canada. It has the best International Reputation, hands down.

However, if you want to work in Quebec for your entire life, then you can consider HEC and Concordia for accounting. They're both recognized here in the business field.
I totally agree with everything you said wich is everyone seem to be thinking. I am not going to the HEC, so I'm not saying it is the best school or anything, but if I am correcte, it as a very good reputation. Maybe it is less know in the states or in the English world, but in France and in the french community it is a very well reknown school.

But for anybody that is planning of pursuing graduate studies in the states or in england I would really recommand Mcgill.

Old
03-20-2007, 09:59 PM
CaptCrunch

Honestly, once you get your bachelor degree and enter the workforce your choice of university will take the backseat to your actual professional decisions IMO.

However, from what I remember, the first decision you have to make is the language you want to study in:

English:

McGill: Great reputation, especially in the ROC and even more in the USA. I don't know a lot about the english university curriculum but I would expect a traditional approach with a heavy institutional tengeant. You go there to have the McGill name in your resume and it may fool some american employers that you had some sort of "superior" education.

Concordia: The John Molson school of Business has a reputation of a dynamic up and coming environment. I've heard some great things about Concordia and I would expect the same level of education than McGill, albeit it may have a less formal approach and it doesn't have the same "reputation".

French:

HEC: The french McGill. HEC is a great name to have in europe because HEC institutions are really hard to get into in france. Once again its a great name but don't be fooled by the propaganda... education is pretty much the same as in other universities.I would consider the HEC if I wanted to continue my studies abroad, if I wanted to go into project management, marketing or had an interest a better IT exposition in my curriculum.

UQAM: Pretty much the french concordia. Has a great name in finance, accounting and human ressources. It really puts out strong accounting cohorts. Huge student body, pretty dynamic and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Laval: I don't know a lot about Laval university. Good name in science but I would not be able to say much about their business education. I seem to remember they were pretty good in marketing though.

Sherbrooke: If I had a kid, I'd strongly advise him to go to Sherbrooke university for their unique approach. They have a program that mixes courses with strong practical training. You don't only study, you have to go work for a number of companies before getting your bachelor degree. Its a longer road but your actual work experience will be invaluable once you get your university degree and you figure out that actual experience is much much more important than the name of your institution.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
tiz

Outside of Quebec... Halifax is a great university city... Dalhousie and Saint Mary's are both good options.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:43 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
Honestly, once you get your bachelor degree and enter the workforce your choice of university will take the backseat to your actual professional decisions IMO.
+1

No one cares about which university you went here, maybe because all universities in Quebec have pretty much the same value, unless you plan on doing research in natural sciences, medecine, etc.

Old
03-21-2007, 07:56 AM
IcE ColD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie3636 View Post
ahah yes, I've heard this all before, heck my accounting teacher even told me that I had to be sure that this is what I want to do cause I could get bored, but he also said that it depends on what kind of accounting you get into. One thing I would never do is become a Chartered Accountant but Certified General/Management Accountant can be very interesting.

Two questions: What University are you at and what program are you in?
There you go. Exactly what I did. Not stuck in doing verification. But don't be fooled, don't listen to people who'd tell you it's easier, 'cause it's not.

Old
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
I did my BBA specialized in accounting at HEC. Good school. Don't let the "student life" get too much into you though.

I'm doing my CMA (right in my SLP) right now. I talk a lot with people who did their BBA in other universities (U de Laval, UQAM, U de Sehrbrooke). All in all, you get the same kind of education everywhere.

The only thing bad with the HEC is that they will try to make you think that only the best students go there and when you got your BBA, you're the best. And they will often succeed. I get the "oh, you got to the HEC, you think you're better than everyone over there, huh?" talk a lot.
I just finished my CMA after the HEC. Those 2 years after university before having the title were sooooooo long...

Dr. Charles, CMA

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote