HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Drouin-Deslauriers

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Drouin-Deslauriers

Holy crap this guy is playing well this aft. He's given up one goal but must have faced well over 25 and several of the very difficult variety. He let in one goal (no chance), and whatever happens he's got to be the best goalie drafted by the Oilers since Fuhr.

Tough competition for the G's though, Fleury, Deslauriers, Ward and Harding. Pretty nice company to be in.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:16 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
great list for sure, here's hoping he gets in.

Has he outperformed the others tho?
(i know i asked it in the other thread)

Old
12-14-2003, 03:37 PM
oilersboy

Stephane Leroux(he work for RDS.ca, he is a QMJHL and a CHL professional) told me this morning and yesterday(saturday) that Harding is his guest to be the backup, a little bit in front of Daigneault. Daigneault is now gone, so he could be wrong on Harding too. He told me that Deslau. had a good start in yesterday(or Friday?) game and that his biggest problem is that he don't have any international experience.

Old
12-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Asiaoil

Well Harding was ahead coming into camp (JDD has had a so-so season) but it looks like JDD has made a game of it with his performances yesterday and today. Ward has zero chance. JDD will have to be clearly better than Harding because 2 goalies from Q is a problem (politics ya know) but he was the 2nd best goalie last year and they still chose Leneveu who stunk the joint out at the WJC. Maybe they figure they owe him one - but he will have to play his way through Harding and on to the squad with strong showings in the prep games. Good start today though.

Terrible play by play today - Crosby and Fluery got raves if they were picking their noses on the bench. Brodziak actually looked pretty good - but it's all numbers and politics now. I was actually not all that impressed with our forwards but the defense looks to be solid.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Hemsky4PM

[QUOTE=Asiaoil]Well Harding was ahead coming into camp (JDD has had a so-so season) but it looks like JDD has made a game of it with his performances yesterday and today. Ward has zero chance. JDD will have to be clearly better than Harding because 2 goalies from Q is a problem (politics ya know) but he was the 2nd best goalie last year and they still chose Leneveu who stunk the joint out at the WJC. Maybe they figure they owe him one - but he will have to play his way through Harding and on to the squad with strong showings in the prep games. Good start today though.QUOTE]

Since when was two goalies from the Q a problem? Trevor Kidd was the last Dub goalie to make the team and lots of good English goalies have been cut before (Emery is the most immediate example). I seem to remember Luongo and Olivier Michaud being a good combination a few years ago.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:20 PM
serum114

I have to admit I had JDD written off even before Fleury came back and I still think Harding has the inside track, however, Deslauriers stood on his head today, truly impressive to watch.

Best of luck to him...

Old
12-14-2003, 06:06 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
He turned away 30 of 31 shots.

Meaning he faced more shots than any 2 of the other 3 goalies combined.

If he has another game like he had tonight, he is a shoo-in for the number 2 spot. It's not just the amount of saves either.

In the 2nd intra-squad game, they were tied 4-4, and there was a penalty shot on DesLauriers, and he made a huge glove save. He is doing everything right.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Oi'll say!

I think that having two Q goalies might not be such a big problem. Aren't most of the D-men going to be from the whl?

Old
12-14-2003, 11:06 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I was actually not all that impressed with our forwards but the defense looks to be solid.
yeah, it's kind of disappointing. It's not like Canada can't produce any forwards either; Nash, Horton, Staal, P.M. Bouchard, and Bergeron could all be suiting up for Canada this year.

Old
12-15-2003, 01:10 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Hockey canada does not like having 2 goalies in the world jrs from the Q it showed last year when JDD was cut, damn Politics

reasoning hokcey canada wants to show case the other goalies from the WHL and even the OHL (last OHL goalie to make the team Trevor Kidd (pretty sure it was him)) they take the strongest goalie from the Q and get rip of the weaker one even if he is stronger then the others and its going to happen again this time

Old
12-15-2003, 04:41 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Hockey canada does not like having 2 goalies in the world jrs from the Q it showed last year when JDD was cut, damn Politics

reasoning hokcey canada wants to show case the other goalies from the WHL and even the OHL (last OHL goalie to make the team Trevor Kidd (pretty sure it was him)) they take the strongest goalie from the Q and get rip of the weaker one even if he is stronger then the others and its going to happen again this time
Kidd was from the WHL, and last year Lenevue (or whatever), was from Cornell.

Canada was never shy to pick two Q goalies in the past when they were winning all the time.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:28 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Lenevue was a mistake a goalie from the NCAA

it might have been one of the reasons why Canada didn't win last year

Old
12-15-2003, 05:48 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Lenevue was a mistake a goalie from the NCAA

it might have been one of the reasons why Canada didn't win last year
Canada lost last year because they got manhandled by the Russians... it had nothing to do with their backup goaltender.

It's weird, Canada seems to keep alternating every year between small and skilled, or big and strong... it's tough to remember the last team that had a solid mix of both.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:54 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooiilleerr_bergeron
Stephane Leroux(he work for RDS.ca, he is a QMJHL and a CHL professional) told me this morning and yesterday(saturday) that Harding is his guest to be the backup, a little bit in front of Daigneault. Daigneault is now gone, so he could be wrong on Harding too. He told me that Deslau. had a good start in yesterday(or Friday?) game and that his biggest problem is that he don't have any international experience.
I heard that Maxime Oullette has been cut. My question is, has Oullette's stock fallen, or is outlasting him an accomplishment for JDD?

Old
12-15-2003, 06:04 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I heard that Maxime Oullette has been cut. My question is, has Oullette's stock fallen, or is outlasting him an accomplishment for JDD?
Ouelette is like 21 or 22.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Daigneault was cut...Oulette is a Caps prospect.

I would love to see two Q goalies go if they were the best two goalies.

JDD impressive is what I want to hear because everything he does in the Q gives me a queasy feeling, and when he is at Oilers camp he is always very good. I guess maybe when the competition goes up, so does his game.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:10 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Oops.

I was out all day yesterday, but I swear one of the sports stations was reporting Maxime Oulette on the scrolling news-bars at the bottom of the screen.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
JDD impressive is what I want to hear because everything he does in the Q gives me a queasy feeling, and when he is at Oilers camp he is always very good. I guess maybe when the competition goes up, so does his game.
That's how I feel too...every time I see him I come away impressed with his size and quickness, but when I look at his Q stats I have to give my head a shake because they're anything but impressive.

The one thing I didn't pick up on him (mind you, I didn't watch the whole game) was his puckhandling skills. Did anyone get a handle on how good/bad he is with puck distribution?

Old
12-15-2003, 06:28 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
That's how I feel too...every time I see him I come away impressed with his size and quickness, but when I look at his Q stats I have to give my head a shake because they're anything but impressive.

The one thing I didn't pick up on him (mind you, I didn't watch the whole game) was his puckhandling skills. Did anyone get a handle on how good/bad he is with puck distribution?
And that is precisely why you shouldn't look at stats.

Apparantly, Deslauriers plays for a very weak team, and shares goaltending duties. He gets to play all the strong teams, and his partner gets all the games his team should win.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:51 AM
USC Trojans
AD

stats are misleading, especially in the juniors...and doesn't the Quebec league play more of an offensive style? If I remember, Giguere, Luongo and Theodore didn't have spectacular stats back in the Q, but they turned out alright.
Which kind of makes me wonder just how special that Fleury kid could be.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:25 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
stats are misleading, especially in the juniors...and doesn't the Quebec league play more of an offensive style? If I remember, Giguere, Luongo and Theodore didn't have spectacular stats back in the Q, but they turned out alright.
Patrick Roy had a career GAA of 5.32 in his 3 seasons in the QMJHL.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
He is going to be a brick wall. I could see him surpassing the GAA mark that Turco set if he ever gets a team in front of him.

One of those goalies where you..just...can't...score...

Old
12-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
And that is precisely why you shouldn't look at stats.

Apparantly, Deslauriers plays for a very weak team, and shares goaltending duties. He gets to play all the strong teams, and his partner gets all the games his team should win.
I believe some of this but not all of this because there are goalies (Maxime Daigneault is an example) on just as bad a team with better numbers....and obviously by performance at WJC camp, JDD is better than.

I could understand but when looking at an overall sample...(Save % is an indicator and JDD's isn't stellar) there was much to be concerned about.

Again...I like JDD and am always impressed when I watch him. So the news is very good.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:59 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I believe some of this but not all of this because there are goalies (Maxime Daigneault is an example) on just as bad a team with better numbers....and obviously by performance at WJC camp, JDD is better than.

I could understand but when looking at an overall sample...(Save % is an indicator and JDD's isn't stellar) there was much to be concerned about.

Again...I like JDD and am always impressed when I watch him. So the news is very good.
Unfortunately, a stat is just a stat, and when it comes to goaltending, it is even more subjective.

Sv% only takes into account shots saved versus shots faced. It doesn't factor in things like the quality of the shot, or anything like that. Daigneault may be on a team just as bad, but does he get to play in games where the opposition is of similar or lower calibre? According to my rough translation of a few articles, Deslauriers doesn't get to play against the weaker team because the coach feels that seeing as they won't really compete this year, it's good to let the other goaltender get experience.

Once again, that was involving grade 11 french and a dictionary, so that may not have been entirely accurate.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Unfortunately, a stat is just a stat, and when it comes to goaltending, it is even more subjective.

Sv% only takes into account shots saved versus shots faced. It doesn't factor in things like the quality of the shot, or anything like that. Daigneault may be on a team just as bad, but does he get to play in games where the opposition is of similar or lower calibre? According to my rough translation of a few articles, Deslauriers doesn't get to play against the weaker team because the coach feels that seeing as they won't really compete this year, it's good to let the other goaltender get experience.

Once again, that was involving grade 11 french and a dictionary, so that may not have been entirely accurate.
So we are saying that Salo isn't as bad as it looks?

Like I said...there can be some things read into what is said about him, and as an example, Olaf Kolzig is on a terrible team with .886 Sv % and Felix Potvin is on a good team with an .886 Sv %. You can remark that both are having a poor season but Kolzig is facing the tougher shots.

But MA Fleury with a Sv % on PIT of .910 is having a stellar season playing on that team.

With JDD some of the same things I had seen pointed in the same direction. He wasn't the Fleury with average stats on a poor team, he had bad stats on a bad team.

I had read some of the same things about JDD and to be honest, I had to agree with some of it, because I have seen him play live at camp the last couple of years and come away impressed. But on the same token, you have to look at the numbers and even if the GGA is inflated some, the Sv % should be mid pack.

Again, I am not a detractor of JDD, just someone that questions his talents in relations to his numbers.

Closed Thread