HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Biron comments on Chipchura..

Old
03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
He seems to me like he could be in the mould of Rod Brind'Amour, who has had a nice career and did well for himself and his team in last year's playoffs. At least, that's what his upside is to me, if he continues to apply himself.
You seriously think he is the type of player that can get 400 goals, 1000 pts during his career? With those numbers he would be our first line center and not 3rd as most seem to project.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:17 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
funny you said that, i was thinking of Chips as a future Brind'amour type player.
I'd compare him to a couple former players; Bob Gainey and Mike Keane. Third line complete hockey players. I think he can chip (no pun intended) in with 15-20 goals a year and 45-50 points when he reaches his prime.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:40 PM
HCH

I have to chuckle at all the experts on this thread who bemoan the fact that we picked Chipchura in the 1st round instead of a superstar goal scorer. Even with the benefit of two years hindsight, they still find it difficult to name someone better.

Sure Schremp has scored a lot in junior and the AHL but he hasn't proven himself in the NHL any more than Chipchura. Wolski has turned out very well but name one other player chosen after Chipchura that has dominated in the AHL or contributed at the NHL level.

And when you are checking the AHL stats, don't forget that Chips hasn't been playing a lot with guys like Kostitsyn and Milroy. He has earned a lot of his points playing with less than gifted wingers.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:49 PM
GNick42

Chips is underrated. I believe he is the best player on Hamilton right now

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
That honor goes to Grabovski.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
funny you said that, i was thinking of Chips as a future Brind'amour type player.
Brind'Amour was a good scorer. In terms of style, I think more along the lines of Rucchin, and I mean that in a good way.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I think he's going to be alot better then people think. He's got the right attitude and with good coaching he could become hell of a shutdown center and I think he's got pretty good offensive potential.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Russians View Post
Not sure. I think as a whole, Chipchura is a better player for the time being. He's the smartest player without the puck and he's very good with it.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Top Corner2

This reminds me of the Higgins threads a few years ago!!!!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
With Chipchura, Higgins, Lapierre, and Komi, the Habs look set to have great leadership and character in the future once all these guys are veterans.

And there are plenty more to come. Timmins and Gainey are definitely all about picking (and rewarding) hard working types.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Not sure. I think as a whole, Chipchura is a better player for the time being. He's the smartest player without the puck and he's very good with it.
thing is that Grabovski also wants to work hard and get better and he has so much flash.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Naoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
*crossing fingers*

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
So true...

And Chipchura might lack speed and offensive flash, but I don't think he lacks creativity or awareness...

Some say Rod Brind'amour (who IMO Chip will never reach in the offensive department), but what about Trevor Linden ? I heard the comparison before he was drafted, perhaps not as offensive as was Linden when he was younger, but the same type of player ?

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 08:12 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I have to agree with you. Although chipchura seems like a quality guy do you really want to use a first round pick on a checker?? Surely you can pick up guys like that with later picks. I remember seeing chipchura at pierrefonds and the guy is too slow for the nhl in my opinion. Why on earth did they pick him instead of the other guys mentioned is beyond me as well.
At one point before in the beginning of the Junior season of his draft he was considered the #1 pick overall...some GM's you talk to them and they say right off the bat that a kid with less skill but has character and heart is a player they are wanting to take over skill. Skill is great, but you can't win on skill alone, you need those motivational and inspirational types to lift you...sometimes it is their actions or words that make a team better, not just a pretty play here and there.

Great 1st round pick, there is no pressure on this kid to be a scorer or a setup man...he knows his style and leadership are the qualities the Habs want and he can bring that...anything above that is a bonus.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 09:12 PM
milou

was it last season that he was the captain and key player of juniors tournement ? there were a lot of offensive players better than him , but he found a way all the tournement long , to got points or to make something happen on the ice .

Great leaders are tough to find ; don't we talk about the lack of leadership on our team , for the last 12 years ?

Chipchura alone isn't that good , but because of his leadership ,, you will have 20 guys that are going give more to the team .

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:11 AM
GNick42

Quote:

I watched a Hamilton game last week on Sportsnet...Chips was our best player that night. He is bigger and better skating than I thought. Reminds me of Trevor Linden

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Cuz he's got more leadership qualities than any of them.

Chipchura will make the team next year, I guarantee it.
Are you making a guarantee that he will be a fixture on the Habs next year or that he will play at least a game for the Habs next year? I interpret your post as saying he is going to earn a spot for the year which I doubt will be the case. With all the centres we have and with the potential to also re-sign Bonk or add another scoring centre and move Pleks down, I can't see management rushing Chipchura into the NHL when he could play another year with the Dogs, take his leadership role to another level and work on his scoring a little more, hopefully with some more offensively gifted wingers (D'ago, S. Kost perhaps). Some of your guarantees have been on the money recently, but I can't help but feel this one won't pan out for you. Time will tell though. But if the Habs couldn't make room the past off-season for Kostitsyn on a team struggling to score, I doubt they'll find room for a defensively capable rookie forward who doesn't have to clear waivers (although I'll admit, stranger things have happened this season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
In some regards, Id agree with that. He is one of the smartest players on the Dogs, he is very strong on his skates and can be tough to knock off the puck, he has possibly the 2nd best pair of hands on the team (Grabs being ahead of him). It depends what aspects you are rating players by I suppose. But he is definately one of the best forwards on the Dogs. He has had a couple of little slumps this year but it's his rookie season so nobody should complain about that. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next season. Hopefully he gets a couple of all round linemates (D'ago would be good with him I expect) and hopefully he can improve his acceleration a little too. And the confidence to shoot a little more wouldn't hurt either.

Quote:
As I said in the bit above, depends what aspects of the game you are rating people by. Grabovski can do things that no-one on the Dogs can do, but Chip can do things Grabs can't do or hasn't got his head around yet. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and you could make a case for either, but if you want a guy who can play in his own zone, score and doesn't get himself in trouble, how about Duncan Milroy. Doesn't have the potential of the other two, but as far as best player on the Dogs, he is right up there in the running.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
I may be wrong, but I think he's trying to say you can find one dimensional, offensive players, late in drafts. They are there. Alfie, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg are prime examples. These players were drafted and then taught an all around game.

Conversely, leadership can't really be taught. You are either a leader or a follower. Gainey looked at what the organization had, and filled a hole by drafting the best leader in the draft.

Chipper will produce only checking line offensive numbers in the NHL. He'll be an elite leader though. With people like Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kostitsyn Jr, etc we do have skill. We need someone of the same age to guide it so that when they've all matured there's a chance they'll be together.

There's no doubt there were more talented players available after Kyle. None of them have his defensive game or leadership qualities. Kyle isn't a fast skater, but he's faster than he was when drafted. His draft year saw him nagged by a persistent groin injury. From what I saw of him at the Vancouver WJC, it wasn't an issue. He was also a key part of that team.

I still like the pick, and think Kyle is an integral part of the future success of the team.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:54 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
You seriously think he is the type of player that can get 400 goals, 1000 pts during his career? With those numbers he would be our first line center and not 3rd as most seem to project.
You read too much into my post. I'm saying that a defensibly responsible, reasonably creative player, with tremendous leadership qualities, is not beyond what we can expect. Meaning that some players put those qualities together, and Chip just might. If he has as long a career as Brindamour, I wouldn't exclude anything, but feel free, if you have a crystal ball that I don't have.

Personally, I think that heart and work ethic count for a lot (as in: are predictive of how a player improves over time) and he seems to display this trait. Brindy's basically had 16 full seasons, working on his 17th. Do the math yourself, that works out to roughly 60 points. 60 points does not seem out of reach for Chip, yet...

That said, if Chip averages 50 points and brings the same intangibles to the team, my analogy still won't appear as wonky as you depict it to be, will it?

Last edited by VirginiaMtlExpat: 03-21-2007 at 03:02 PM.
VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Rocket Jr.

Quote:
D'Agostini IS Hamilton's best player right now ...

Rocket Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
With Lats and Laps and Komi and Begin there will be less problems in the corner. Chip is a very smart player great passer but I wish he would increase his speed. If he skated like laps he would be a great find.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:06 PM
habs-stars2006

i think saku's here for another good few years (3 prob). after that higgins is the definite captain. he will follow koivu's path by holding that position for many good years. Higgins is the future face of the habs. I'd like to know how many russians are captains in the nhl,because i dont think most russian players have captain material. They are great at playing the game, but in terms of leadership- zilch.
I am against the idea of a french canadian player as captain of the habs. That would be a definite disaster. we would see divisions among the team etc. Which is why higgins is the perfect choice.

habs-stars2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:25 PM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs-stars2006 View Post
i think saku's here for another good few years (3 prob). after that higgins is the definite captain. he will follow koivu's path by holding that position for many good years. Higgins is the future face of the habs. I'd like to know how many russians are captains in the nhl,because i dont think most russian players have captain material. They are great at playing the game, but in terms of leadership- zilch.
I am against the idea of a french canadian player as captain of the habs. That would be a definite disaster. we would see divisions among the team etc. Which is why higgins is the perfect choice.

hope for you that you are not a politician or a diplomate ! this post is full of prejudices , and honestly , even if i think that Higgins could be captain one day , the reasons you give to explain why he should be , are not even close to be good . Sorry !

milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
come to think of it your right, but people atleast saw Higgins as a 25 goal scorer. Anyways the better Chipchura bcomes at season ends the less chances we have of keeping Johnson and Bonk....
I want my 3rd line to be of Perezhogin-Pleckanek-Chipchura

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs-stars2006 View Post
Only one, Yashin is Isle captain.

Also,Kovalev was the captain of Russia in last Olympic Games.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote