HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shin pad weight

Old
03-21-2007, 01:36 AM
Phoenix

vCash: 500
Shin pad weight

So for those of ya in rec leagues, what sort of shin pads do you use? My legs seem to get soo much more tired when I skate with them, compared to without. I didn't think they were too heavy when I bought them though. But it could be I'm just not use to playing games (ie. skating harder) with them...they're Missions with the slash guard.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:11 AM
technophile

Send a message via MSN to technophile
I play in a C-level beer league and use the Jofa 7500 (which turned into the RBK 5k shinpads). I play defense, though, so I went for very protective; if you play forward you might not want that much protection.

That said, they're plenty light, I've never felt like my legs were weighed down by them. You may just need to practice more in them, so your legs get used to the bit of extra weight.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:18 AM
ArchieIsGod

just a thought, i dont know if there is any merit to it, maybe it's because your legs cant breath in them so you sweat alot more and get fatigued easier.

dunno

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
keef

I'm currently using Jofa 7500s. They're certainly not heavy enough to make a difference in skating endurance. It must be something else that's wearing you out faster. Maybe you skate differently with your pads on?

keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:06 PM
MacBeatsPang

I use RBK 6Ks and I take off the calf pad. I just got them a few months ago and they are the lightest shin pads I've worn. I don't feel that they inhibit my skating at all. Generally shin pads shouldn't affect your skating if they're the right size, so maybe there's something about the fit or the way you're using them?

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:06 PM
MikeD

its all in your head...Cant see how a well fit shin guard would increase fatigue. now, put on a pair of my "shin" guards...7 lbs each. lol

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 09:16 AM
frito

It may not be the hin guards but the total package. By the time you add shins, pants, shoulders, elbows, helmet etc. the cumulative weight adds up. I know when I pick my bag up to go to the rink I sometimes think "Man, I have to have all this on when playing?".

Somebody also mentioned the heat buildup. A lot of the new shin pads have excelent ventilation. I just bought my daughter a pair of RBK 4Ks. They have a few diferent spots with ventilation holes as well as "raised profile" so to speak to key the air circulating around the leg.

And now for a question. Do you tie your skates tighter in your game than during a regular skate? I made a comment to my teammate who's an orthopaedic surgeon one night that my shins were on fire and really weak. He told me my skates were too tight. Sure enough, I loosened them just a tad and it did the trick.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Thrasha81

We made some Carbon fiber shin pads. Half the weight of my current plastic ones.

Swing weight is where the most gains can be made. Skates first then moving up the legs. In a game situation it does make a difference.

http://www.jageng.com/Images/game7shinsm.jpg

We've also prototyped a full carbon skate, very different than the One90 or Easton. The Game& Carbon Skate is more like a supercharged Lange skate - shell and removable heat moldable EVA liner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVJhov_3CM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5c36edhbkA

Thrasha81 is offline   Reply With Quote