HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

zack stortini

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 05:00 PM
calvin

vCash: 500
zack stortini

From the Ottawa Sun:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...14/286555.html

JUNIOR JOTTINGS: ... Scrap of the week happened Friday in Sudbury as current heavyweight champ and former 67 Adam Smyth took on Oilers prospect Zack Stortini. Word is, Stortini scored a convincing win. With Stortini and former CJHLer Chanse Fitzpatrick on board, the Wolves more than live up to their nickname.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:12 PM
SerbianEagle

Interesting, may he be Laraque replacement. Spector today says the Laraque has been put on trade block.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Interesting, may he be Laraque replacement. Spector today says the Laraque has been put on trade block.
He could very well be Georges' replacement but Zack is still 3 years away. Great kid and willing to go with anyone. At 6'5" and 225 Lbs, Storts is definitely one to keep and eye on.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:27 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
He could very well be Georges' replacement but Zack is still 3 years away. Great kid and willing to go with anyone. At 6'5" and 225 Lbs, Storts is definitely one to keep and eye on.
I've managed to catch a few wolves games, and he is developing into an alright hockey player. His skating keeps getting better, and he is looking more than your average no talent goon.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't Bertuzzi, but he could definetly be a guy who gets 5-10 goals and 15-20 points on the 4th line.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
GorillazXL

Thats why trade Laraque now before his stock sinks lower.

GXL

Old
12-14-2003, 08:02 PM
theoil

A fighter who understands his role? I swear we are being punished for having Semenko and Brown years ago. Send Georges somewhere in the east and have him stop teasing us.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:07 PM
GorillazXL

Don't get me wrong, when Laraque is playing his game... he's unstoppable, but when was the last time he played the way he can... last year before his accident, showed up for a while during the playoffs, then went into hiding again.

GXL

Old
12-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Tanko

I've seen Stortini play and fight and he will not be in Georges' class he is a gamer and a real character guy though.Can't really skate though,tough to see him in the NHL

Old
12-15-2003, 05:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
I've seen Stortini play and fight and he will not be in Georges' class he is a gamer and a real character guy though.Can't really skate though,tough to see him in the NHL
His skating is significantly better than it was last year, or even at the beginning of this year.

The only thing that will keep him out of the NHL will be whether or not the role he plays is needed. Even without fighting, I could see him as an alright 4th liner who hits and controls the boards.

Old
12-15-2003, 12:22 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
Don't get me wrong, when Laraque is playing his game... he's unstoppable, but when was the last time he played the way he can... last year before his accident, showed up for a while during the playoffs, then went into hiding again.

GXL
so judging by his 5 goals per season we can conclude that he is "unstoppable" 5 games per year. that works out to about 300 grand per "good game".

bye georges...

Old
12-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
so judging by his 5 goals per season we can conclude that he is "unstoppable" 5 games per year. that works out to about 300 grand per "good game".

bye georges...
Hey now... Zack's got 8 doesn't he?

Old
12-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Shizuka

The problem with trading Georges is that he brings alot of things to the table beyond fighting! Someone wrote a good article in the Journal about Georges a few days ago, and it outlined alot of excellent points. He is a fantastic community guy, and lives here in the off-season. He loves playing here, which is rather rare quite frankly. He is a mutual, neutralizing deterrent to *anyone* and I mean anyone who takes liberties with the rest of our lineup. He has shown the ability to absolutely dominate down low (the many playoff series vs. Dallas). He is an enforcer who can play regular minutes and not hurt the team. How many guys are like that? Brashear, Domi, maybe McCarthy.

The reason he has a tough time fighting is because, quite simply, very few guys are willing to take him. He plays a passive - react game, and that is the problem I think. He doesn't have that mean, angry streak that would make him a scary guy to play against.

I am also wondering if he dropped them with Nazarov in Phoenix just to make a point? It was the day or a couple of days after that article appeared in the Journal, too. I hope he didn't reaggravate his thumb to be honest. Unless you can find and replace him right away, whether through a call up or a trade, I think it would be a mistake to just toss him away like that. Our lineup is small as it is. Take out Laraque and I am willing to bet anyone that people will abuse our smallish forwards with abandon. Moreau and Smith may step up to protect them but they will get destroyed by the big scrappers in this league. We need Laraque, plain and simple, until we have someone who can assume the role.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
barto

As scrappers (not heavyweights), we also have Chimera and Ferguson. I'm not entirely convinced that other teams would take more liberties with our lineup...look at the games that BG missed with his injury, for instance.

And I keep hearing about Georges being this great, friendly guy with fans & such, but my few encounters with him made it seem like he wasn't interested in any contact with fans (on even a very low-key level). That's fine, but it doesn't mesh with his 'legendary' friendly personality. The cashier at the Safeway I saw him last said he was pretty much a jerk as far as she's seen...

Bart

Closed Thread