HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Wagner

Old
10-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

vCash: 500
I personally hope we trade Mckee, unfortunately he would be difficult to get value on because of his injury problems and hefty price tag. I still think Salvador would probably fetch a lower asking price. And while Salvador isnt as good as McKee, he is much more dependable in terns of durability. If we would trade McKee, I think it may be a good idea to let Wagner play in Peoria, let him play 30 mins a night next to Polak. Assuming Wagner keeps up his play in the AHL, we trade McKee near the deadline where we have been able to make an absoloute killing the past few seasons; not to mention defensive defensemen always bring in a nice bounty.

Jackman would be good trade bait, epsecially if we dont think we can sign him. Unfortunately this would hurt the Blues from a PR standpoint, Jackman has been with the team his whole career has always been a fan favorite because of his physicality, and lets not forget hes a damn good player.

Backman could also be moved, but I doubt the Blues would get the value that Murray thinks he brings to the first line PP.

If we traded McKee, it would leave us with...
Salvador Brewer
Jackman Backman
Wags EJ
Walker

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2007, 11:28 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post
I personally hope we trade Mckee, unfortunately he would be difficult to get value on because of his injury problems and hefty price tag. I still think Salvador would probably fetch a lower asking price. And while Salvador isnt as good as McKee, he is much more dependable in terns of durability. If we would trade McKee, I think it may be a good idea to let Wagner play in Peoria, let him play 30 mins a night next to Polak. Assuming Wagner keeps up his play in the AHL, we trade McKee near the deadline where we have been able to make an absoloute killing the past few seasons; not to mention defensive defensemen always bring in a nice bounty.

Jackman would be good trade bait, epsecially if we dont think we can sign him. Unfortunately this would hurt the Blues from a PR standpoint, Jackman has been with the team his whole career has always been a fan favorite because of his physicality, and lets not forget hes a damn good player.

Backman could also be moved, but I doubt the Blues would get the value that Murray thinks he brings to the first line PP.

Salvador Brewer
Jackman Backman
Wags EJ
Walker
I don't want to completely pick apart your fantasy, but trading McKee would be difficult. Not because other teams don't want him, but because a lot of teams are working too close to the cap or a self-imposed payroll. Even if a trade was made later in the season, it would have to be to a team with UFA's leaving in the offseason to make room for incoming salary. Or the Blues would have to take a lot of salary back. And there aren't so many bad contracts that a good trade partner is guaranteed to be able to make such a move. It's certainly possible, but it would likely be a very difficult fit.

I don't have a payroll and cap-hit sheet in front of me, but if the Blues even attempted what you're talking about, they'd be looking at defense-starved bubble teams or playoff-bound teams who have cap-room. Who qualifies? Or they would hold onto their assets and trade with a team with injuries (more likely). But it's not like the Blues defense has been remarkably healthy over the past few seasons. So by the time teams are in the buying mood, all the guys you want to trade could be injured or necessary to the team because other players are injured. It all sounds nice, but it's actually a high-risk, low-percentage venture. I trust in the Blues management, but they won't hamper the team in the hopes that they can make the perfect move. If a lot of the other d-men continue to be inconsistent, but Wagner plays well, he's going to play.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Sharks14*

I'm impressed with Wagner what he has done for the Blues this season.

Any ides when Erik Johnson is returning back to the ice?

Sharks14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post

Salvador Brewer
Jackman Backman
Wags EJ
Walker
I don't see the point of sending Wagner to Peoria. I mean, he's producing right now with the minutes he's already getting. I don't think we will be able to trade McKee until at least the last year of his contract (if even that) but as the season wears on and no hint of a Jackman signing in sight I could definately see Jackman being traded.

I don't want it, I'm not advocating it but I could see it. Jackman was our "future" captain and the future of the franchise and all of that and we've touted that for so long but that was all before we had an EJ. Completely different players with different roles I know but...well all signs are pointing towards Jackman being the odd man out by the end of the season.

Back on topic, unless Wagner begins to struggle he's earned his right to stay with the big club, I think. I haven't gotten to watch one frigging game this year as Canada virtually ignores the Blues, EVEN when they are playing Canadian teams but who is he mostly paired with out there? I think that is an important indicator in Wagners success.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 12:10 PM
EpicSTL

I couldn't agree more. Wagner, to me, has been arguably our best defenseman this year at more than one time. In the Columbus game, he was playing like a seasoned vet and seems to be more mature than Backman even though he's just out of college. He's got a decent shot too! I love this guy.

EpicSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 01:03 PM
fcpremix88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
but who is he mostly paired with out there? I think that is an important indicator in Wagners success.
It's been Backman for the past few games, he WAS played with EJ in the beginning of the season. And yeah, I don't think we should trade anyone simply because of the known injury bug that hits Blues defensemen.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2007, 08:56 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
It's been Backman for the past few games, he WAS played with EJ in the beginning of the season. And yeah, I don't think we should trade anyone simply because of the known injury bug that hits Blues defensemen.
Agreed but if it gets down to the trade deadline I would hope the Blues will have Jackman locked up but if the don't...I'd rather they move Jackman then than risk the chance of losing him July 1st.

or maybe not. I mean they can always trade him in June...but his value is alot less. Its a tough call.

Old
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Taser19

Steve Wagner?

Hi Blues fans, I'm in a keeper's pool and I would like to know what you think of Steve Wagner. For what I saw, I taught he was pretty good last game against the hawks. Nice work on pp. Seems to have good +/-. Do you think he stays all year with the kind of ice-time he got the last couple of games even with the (nice) depth you have on defense? Will he stay on the pp? Thanks in advance

Taser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Spalfredsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser19 View Post
Hi Blues fans, I'm in a keeper's pool and I would like to know what you think of Steve Wagner. For what I saw, I taught he was pretty good last game against the hawks. Nice work on pp. Seems to have good +/-. Do you think he stays all year with the kind of ice-time he got the last couple of games even with the (nice) depth you have on defense? Will he stay on the pp? Thanks in advance
ahahha I just picked this guy up in my keeper league to , cant really answer any of your questions though ... lol

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
rawrmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser19 View Post
The kid plays an incredibly solid game, and Andy Murray seems to have all the faith in the world in him. Thus, I believe he'll continue to get 20+ minutes a game, but he'll never be on the top PP line. Those defensive spots go to Erik Johnson and Eric Brewer (ugh).

Anyways, he's definitely worth a look in a keepers pool, but be wary of him wearing down as the season goes on. It's his first year in the pro's and he's already garnering huge amounts of ice time.

rawrmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
chuckie

wagner

Has he played lately ? he seems to have cooled off a bit, is he in the doghouse?

chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
Has he played lately ? he seems to have cooled off a bit, is he in the doghouse?
Cooled of = been scratched alot.

Old
11-30-2007, 06:13 PM
StLooFrenchy

Scratched not because of bad play, but because of our depth at D. He has cooled off a slight bit, but still his play was remarkably good for a rookie. On some nights he shamed some vets.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
bluebleeder38

I think one of the veteran defensemen will be gone before too long, opening a full-time spot for Wagner on the top six if he keeps his solid play up.

bluebleeder38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 04:36 PM
StLooFrenchy

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=11755

As per AS, Wags is headed to Peoria......what a drag

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=11755

As per AS, Wags is headed to Peoria......what a drag
I dont think its that bad, its obvious we are overloaded in STL with Dmen and Wagner and EJ are the only two that can go down without going through waivers, and EJ has been playing pretty solid. In Peoria, Wags will probably be getting top pairing minutes and wont have to worry about getting benched.

But as someone said earlier, I dont see how we cant move one of our veteran defensemen in the near future, and he'll be back in STL soon enough.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 01:00 PM
execwrite

good pjstar.com story

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/121407...6VP0RC.077.php

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 03:19 PM
BlueNhockeytown

He needs to be back up soon, he was doing great.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 06:29 PM
ChicagoBlues

Wagner has been a breath of fresh air. I love seeing undrafted players make the NHL and actually do well. Jason Blake comes to mind. I will be very happy when he gets back up to the big club.

May be off topic a little bit, but Strickland mentioned how there are no active trades in the works for the Blues and to me that is good news. Wagner has been great. And I think the Blues need to keep as many of our d-men as possible until the deadline. And even then, I see our depth is mostly at the forward prospect positions. I would package some of our forward prospects with Doug Weight. I think in order to get the #1 center that we absolutely need we are gong to have to give up some our forward prospect depth.

Wagner has a great attitude and deserves to be with the Blues, but with so many top-six d-men on our roster with larger salaries it just makes no sense to not play them, barring absolute horrid play. Anyway..............

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2007, 07:39 PM
General Veers

He'll be in the lineup tomorrow and so will Salvador hopefully, I can't see a reason to dress Walker again.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

I doubt he plays up to the standards he was at before. Its not like I don't want him to or anything, but with the concussion and scratches I don't think he will be at the level we saw him at....just a little rusty. However, I am really excited to see him get back into the lineup. I am normally pretty happy with his play regardless of wether he has a "good" game or not.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Rickety Cricket

i was really impressed by him tonight

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

He made on bad play that could have cost us a goal, but other than that he was terrific. He definately has a ton of potential. How did he fly under the radar for so long???

Old
12-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Bluester

I am just hoping we find a way to keep him up. I myself wouldn't mind seeing Backman traded if that's what it has to come to when Jackman comes off the IR.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Wagner sent down

He is headed back to Peoria. Just let me be the first to say....damn it!

He can't do enough to stay in the lineup and were a better team with him in. JD/Pleau find him a spot please.

P.S. Jackman is off IR and Andy Mac is playing tonight.