HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Wagner

Old
01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman View Post
I was on Brewer early in the year, but he's played as well as I've ever seen him the last 5-10 games, despite the results. He still makes mistakes, but he's been hands down our best defenseman lately.

But I agree, make a move on Backman (underperforming, though hes also improved) or Jackman (questionable signability and hes seen better days, as well). Hang on to Mckee, it wasnt the best signing but at least he's locked up for 2 more years, with prices expected to escalate this offseason.

Wagner should be in our top six right now. A move should be made. I'd rather see the Blues snag a young player, but wouldnt mind another first round pick, especially in a deep draft. Maybe a package deal? Marleau unhappy in San Jose...underperforming Visnovsky in LA...these are crazy scenarios but Boyes for Wideman looks like a helluva deal, have faith in our management team. Our biggest weakness is our power play we need to do something to upgrade it.

I think a lot of people are expecting too much of our young guys next season, I see Oshie stepping in and being able to handle the transition to the NHL, but wouldn't be surprised if Berglund took a bit to adapt his game to the smaller ice surface and more physical north american game.
I would duck if I were you...lol..j/k

(whispers) I agree though.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
MU_Beerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I would duck if I were you...lol..j/k

(whispers) I agree though.
Yeah probably bit off quite a bit with that one, considering the board. 82 games is a lot. Look at Perron, consistency is the most elusive talent for young players.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman View Post
Yeah probably bit off quite a bit with that one, considering the board. 82 games is a lot. Look at Perron, consistency is the most elusive talent for young players.
Either way though, we have to get them in. I just don't plan on them all living up to their potential right away, especially if we loose veteran mentors. It will be quite the challenge with a young team. Also, sophomore jinx's can be killers(God I hope that doesn't happen).

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
General Veers

Looks like he's back to Peoria. What is management thinking exactly?

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVTEC View Post
More playing time? Maybe he was going to sit a game or 2 and they figured they should send him down vs. keeping him in the box?

No idea. I think he should have had 2-3 games in a row to get used to the speed again.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Quote:
For what it's worth, here's the note beside Wagner on my yahoo fantasy squad:

Jan 30 Wagner was sent to Peoria of the AHL on Wednesday.

Recommendation: This move was made to make space for winger Mike Glumac on the roster.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 06:51 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
For what it's worth, here's the note beside Wagner on my yahoo fantasy squad:

Jan 30 Wagner was sent to Peoria of the AHL on Wednesday.

Recommendation: This move was made to make space for winger Mike Glumac on the roster.
Glumac isn't going to be on the big club, it seems. Wags should be playing and Backman should still be sitting!

Old
01-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
After last night, "go down and work on your defense."

01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
After last night, "go down and work on your defense."
Wags new vehicle to get from Peoria to STL and back...

Last edited by General Veers: 01-31-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old
01-30-2008, 08:38 PM
General Veers

I'm well aware of his gaffes last night (check the GDT) but why not give him 1 more game? I'm sick of seeing Backman.

Old
01-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
I'm well aware of his gaffes last night (check the GDT) but why not give him 1 more game? I'm sick of seeing Backman.
"Asset management." Backman's not going to build trade value sitting in the press box; hope to hell when he gets in the lineup, he finally plays inspired and makes someone else think, "gosh - maybe he's finally got it and will do that for us, let's get him before others notice and the bidding starts!"

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 09:56 PM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
"Asset management." Backman's not going to build trade value sitting in the press box; hope to hell when he gets in the lineup, he finally plays inspired and makes someone else think, "gosh - maybe he's finally got it and will do that for us, let's get him before others notice and the bidding starts!"
Open question to the group...just curious...

Is there a reasonable chance this one-game call-up for Wagner could have been the reverse of what IB suggests? In other words, could Wagner have been part of a potential deal...and someone wanted to get a look at him back in The Show? Or that another of our D may have been part of a deal that fell thru...perhaps we were hedging against the possibility that someone was about to be shipped out?

I've been spending too much time on the Trade Rumors board...

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
Open question to the group...just curious...

Is there a reasonable chance this one-game call-up for Wagner could have been the reverse of what IB suggests? In other words, could Wagner have been part of a potential deal...and someone wanted to get a look at him back in The Show?
I don't know man. It's possible I guess.

But I hope to GOD that is not the case about Wagner. I just can NOT at all see JD moving Wagner and NOT Backman or Jackman.

I really would be blown away if we traded Wagner at this point.

I didn't think Wagner played terrible last night like some do...I know he wasn't great...and I know he was on the ice for the 2 goals allowed last night vs the Leafs. But I thought Jackman was at fault on both of those goals.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2008, 10:14 PM
General Veers

Let's just hope IB is right and they're just getting Backman playing again to get him out of here, and Wagner stays with the organization.

Old
01-31-2008, 01:01 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Backman has been scratched multiple times in the past month. He can't even win a consistent roster spot over Matt Walker. Don't think other GM's aren't noticing this development. Backman is firmly in Murray's doghouse. I think management has accepted the fact that they are going have to live with his contract for one more year. Because they surely aren't trying to build up his value by scratching him as often as they have been lately.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 02:44 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Backman has been scratched multiple times in the past month. He can't even win a consistent roster spot over Matt Walker. Don't think other GM's aren't noticing this development. Backman is firmly in Murray's doghouse. I think management has accepted the fact that they are going have to live with his contract for one more year. Because they surely aren't trying to build up his value by scratching him as often as they have been lately.
Except they also see the Blues' record lately and not a single GM in the league thinks Backman is the reason for that (especially being scratched during that time). Doghouse or not, poor season or not, Backman is a good player who has league-wide value. Any team looking to acquire him would almost certainly be hoping that a change in scenery would jumpstart his game - being scratched doesn't affect that, so it doesn't significantly affect his trade value. Unless you think he'd actually be boosting his trade value right now because he'd be playing very well....

Although, the fact that he isn't mean and nasty or a scorer could hurt his trade deadline value just by the very nature of the trade deadline - teams are preparing for the playoffs. Compared to guys who play highly physical games or will bolster a powerplay, Backman is more of a support player. Valuable, but not necessarily trade deadline material. So yea, I wouldn't doubt their holding onto Backman because of his salary next year and that teams might not be looking for a player of his type at the deadline. But I don't think his being in the doghouse is affecting his value significantly compared to how his play has determined his value up to this point.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote