Notices

I think next year we will see a new team

Old
03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

vCash: 500
I think next year we will see a new team

Same personnel, but a new team. Everyone's going to be more comfortable.

It was Zdeno Chara's first year being an NHL captain. Next year, he'll likely be much more comfortable with the responsbilities he's been given. He can go back to playing the way he used to play.

It was (theoritically) Dave Lewis' first year coaching. [Those 2 years in Detroit can't really be counted. He didn't have to do that much coaching]. He'll be more comfortable behind the bench, and the players will likely be more comfortable with his system. It is a good system, we see that with teams like New Jersey, Dallas, Vancouver, etc. But you need to have the right kind of players, and those players have to have experience playing the system. Chiarelli brought in the types of players who would succeed in his coach's system. And next year, they'll be more comfortable playing in the system, and be able to play their game better.

That's why Brad Boyes made those comments, I think. He couldn't adapt his game.

We've collectively been a little too stiff on the coaching staff, and the captain. But it's expected, because those are the first people that get the fingers pointed at them.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
DOGSTARMAN

My question would be, what is it that will magically transform the players, the coach, the GM, etc., between the last game of this season and the first game of next season? Aside from our perennial optimism and hope that things will get better?

Chara and the gang have played 72 regular season games together over the past 6 months. It is not like these are fresh faces, aside from the recent arrivals. Yet, between the 82nd game this season and the first 10 games of next season, it will all click and start going right.

In my view, it will take a real infusion of talent to make this team better next year. We will have to see at least 4 impact players come in. Maybe that's a goalie, Kalus, Tkachuk/Drury, and Lashoff. Maybe it's 4 different people. But unless we add some players who reshape the team's personality and make a big contribution, I expect we will see much the same as this year: a .500 team that lacks confidence and the ability to step it up when other teams do. Frankly, I'm not sure if the situation can be reversed without putting a new coach at the helm.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
canuckulous

Wow...optimism !

I hope you're right. I must say that I'm not too impressed with Lewis...as seems to be the general consensus on this board. I think the B's need to play a much more physical brand of hockey. Chia and Lewis keep talking about a team that is "hard to play against", but I haven't seen any demonstration of that (with the exception of Tim Thomas!)

canuckulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Five Hole
HFBoards Sponsor

Hmm...were will this end up?

1. The “Negatives” will rip this thread apart at the seams and it very well could end up locked.
2. The “Negatives” leave it alone and it only gets 12 responses and drops of the front page by game time.

BTW I agree 100%

03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
DOGSTARMAN

>> Chiarelli brought in the types of players who would succeed in his coach's system.

Who are those players?

What success are you talking about?

They have been shut out the past two games with the playoffs on the line and they are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games. Aside from Bochenski, no one is making much of a contribution at all, either via individual stats or team wins.

Old
03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****

wishful thinking? who knows but sometimes its good to be positive

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:37 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Hole View Post
Hmm...were will this end up?

1. The “Negatives” will rip this thread apart at the seams and it very well could end up locked.
2. The “Negatives” leave it alone and it only gets 12 responses and drops of the front page by game time.

BTW I agree 100%
Without resorting to just calling anyone who disagrees a "negative," please make the case that supports this point of view. I would be happy to read a good line of reasoning that makes me believe this can happen. But I don't understand how you take a team that is limping down the stretch, don't make significant changes to it, and expect them to 'just be better' next year. Seriously, I want that as much as anyone. I continue to pay absurd money to go to games and I love the team. But I need something rational to go with to accept that THIS group can do better. If we put a guy in the lineup from the draft, make some trades, sign some UFAs, then I'll be there September 1 like a fool raving about how good the new lineup looks. But if this group comes back with some "tweaks," I'm not buying that the results will be different.

Old
03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
As newly acquired players get settled in the area and become comfortable in Boston, they may be able to focus more on the game and not on that things outside of the game. That's one way the players might be expected to perform differently.

Also, hopefully, the roles players are asked to play and the responsibilities carried by different personnel (coaches & staff, mainly) may change to better adapt this team to what Chiarelli wants to see.

Those are a couple of reasons to be hopeful that the same crew might put up different results next year.

And Hannu might get his **** together.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
Without resorting to just calling anyone who disagrees a "negative," please make the case that supports this point of view. I would be happy to read a good line of reasoning that makes me believe this can happen. But I don't understand how you take a team that is limping down the stretch, don't make significant changes to it, and expect them to 'just be better' next year. Seriously, I want that as much as anyone. I continue to pay absurd money to go to games and I love the team. But I need something rational to go with to accept that THIS group can do better. If we put a guy in the lineup from the draft, make some trades, sign some UFAs, then I'll be there September 1 like a fool raving about how good the new lineup looks. But if this group comes back with some "tweaks," I'm not buying that the results will be different.
Bravo BE
Don't you just love it when the objectively informed get whittled down to a handle like the negatives. Duh don don. It sounds like a bad Hollywood movie.
Asking for proof -- doesn't mean you don't like pudding.
For those who can't grasp that concept; well, good luck on this web site in the future. Simply put; it's got nothing to do with negativity for the majority. It's what it is.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
I thought Chia's plan was one of improved transition, and attack.
Certainly Wideman, Ference, Kobesaw fall into that category.
While Bochenski is debatable about falling into that category, he is a scorer, with
decent additional skills, so he is a plus.

Lewis's plan seems to contradict what Chia's plan is.
By all accounts, Lewis's plan is to transition to the red line and dump it in.

First and foremost, for next year Chia and Lewis must be on the same page, and bring in the appropriate players.

You can never go wrong by bringing in a #1 goalie.
I just don't think its going to help the team that much, maybe 5 to 10 more wins.
Sure that gets them into the playoffs, but gets them ready for a first round bounce.

I'd bring in a veteran scorer, who has grit, and can motivate his teammates.
Tkuchuk(sp), doesn't Shanny have a 1 yr contract with NYR. See how/if he comes back. I'd also bring in a 3rd 4th line vet, that has grit and can motivate his teammates. Maybe Marty Lapointe at much more reasonable money.

Finally, I'd promote Dave Lewis to Director to the Assistant Director of Hockey Operations, and hire a coach that preachs transition, puck control, and attack.

Face it, Lewis has a 4 yr contract and he isn't going anywhere outside of the Org for a few years.

On paper this team can be very good.
It needs to be translated from paper to ice.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Love the optimism of the original post. But I honestly don't believe this team will be any better next season. There are so many fundamental things that would need to change. Expecting a new/better team with this same mix is like expecting/hoping for a miracle, which has been the case for Boston in the last few seasons. There are 3 essential elements in a hockey organization. 1) the Players, 2) the Coaching staff, 3) the Management. All three need to improve in many areas for this team to be better.

Lewis needs to take a long hard look at each player and their respective strengths and weaknesses. Then he needs to realize that his current game plan and system don't work well with this group of players (would it work with any group of players?). Formulate a new plan/system that uses the teams' strengths, the same strengths that Chiarelli has said to be building the team around: speed and mobility. Lewis also needs to adapt much faster both in-game and over the course of the season. He needs to understand that as giant as Chara is, playing him 30 minutes a night early in the season will likely tire him out half-way through. He needs to realize that other players are far better suited to play the top-of-the-umbrella on the power play. He needs to realize that Axelsson is not a 1st line player and is at his best when he's checking. He needs to allow the players, especially the skilled players, need to be more free to play their game. He needs to start using his young players that play well and not keep them worrying about making little mistakes that will bench them for periods/games at a time. He needs to treat all players equal. He needs to LEAD the team behind the bench and be vocal. He needs to be hard on his players when necessary.

In turn, the players need to give a more solid effort all round. They need to play with more emotion and desire. They need to battle for every puck like it's a battle for their life. They need to skate and skate hard and play the game rather than commit infractions to defend. They need to show their creativity when the opportunity presents itself. They need to stand up for themselves and each other. They need to stay focused and play a full 60 minutes. They need to be fully aware of exactly where their teammates are going to be on the ice.

And finally, management needs to make better asset evaluations. If they are not happy with a player or feel he is not part of the future plan, then it needs to be determined whether or not the best return available is worth giving up the player. If it is not (which has been the case at least twice this season), then don't make the trade. The player just might get better, raise his trade value, or show that he could be part of the team.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
jtechkidbruin

The biggest problem I see and earlier poster brought it up is the contrast of style's of Chia and Lewis. Chia wants a run and gun or uptemp and I don't think Lewis can coach this type of play. I love the bruins but I think we are in big trouble for next couple years based on :
1, dman, Chara is good but he's no Pronger or Lidstrom. He is very good dman but not great for 7.5mill. We have no defined 2nd dman
2,Bergy is not an all star. He is nice player but after last year I thought he would be all star material. I don't think he is.
3, Murray- at 4mill plus i think he's will be dumped with very little return. The question is who can step in and fill his role.
4,bad trades. wideman is a bad trade. Ference is nice dman but struggled big time in calagary 5on 5. He is not a stud dman and is questionable 4th dman. Kobasaw i think is grt pick up and will be fine.
5, need to get rid-mowers,chistof,donavan,tekrat,york,and start giving pbruins kids a chance.

jtechkidbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Five Hole
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
OK, first of all you got your post up while I was typing mine so I won’t take it personally that you thought it was directed at you, it wasn’t. To be clear Black Eye I don’t consider you a “Negative”. Yes, you are clearly frustrated and you are certainly not holding back your punches…but I don’t clump you with the rest.

Back to the topic…

To me the only two things that this team truly lacks are confidence and chemistry. That’s not to say that there are not holes in this line up, of course there are. What I mean is that this current roster is much better then they are playing right now – maybe not as good as their best and certainly not as bad as their worst…but better then this.

So with that being said…why is this team struggling? They did have some success playing their system earlier in the year; they had developed some chemistry which appeared to revolve around Brad Stuart (their physical leader). But he came back from Paternity leave with an “it’s out of my hands” attitude.
Before Child’s birth: “Long-Term Deal”
After Child’s birth: “Open Market”.

Brad Stuart ripped the heart out of this team both on the ice and in the room. What really hurt though was that he said stuff publicly which then forced Peter to sit on him…waiting for the dust to settle and GM’s to start making serious offers. During that month that it took for Chia to get an acceptable deal lined up…Brad Stuart mailed it in…he killed this team and although they tried they just couldn’t recover. But that doesn't make them bad hockey players.

What makes me excited about next year? Well I don’t see any players whose play and contract could combine to re-create the Stuart situation…so that’s a good start. I also think our current roster is better suited to our system then the team that took the ice opening night. So I guess I'd say I just really think these kids will come together and buy into the system next year and that will be the difference, this is a young team, their emotions are shot right now and I think a summer off is just what the doctor ordered.

But that's just me...

Five Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:08 AM
DOGSTARMAN

I agree that the situation with Brad Stuart took a really negative turn and it seemed to affect the team. In my view, Chara + Stuart was a fantastic 1-2 defense tandem and I wish it had been able to develop in Boston. His situation was very much like Allison's. Good player leaves the team, team is worse off for it, blame pie includes a slice for the player, the team, the agent, everybody.

By the time he left, that's what had to happen, him going. I don't see it as a positive for the roster or the future, and it certainly disrupted the season as things worsened after Christmas.

Perhaps roster stability next year will be something this team hasn't had in quite some time. Maybe that is itself a big help - we shall see, if in fact the roster rolls over largely intact. But I'd like to see some injection of fresh blood at any rate.

Old
03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Five Hole
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Bravo BE
Don't you just love it when the objectively informed get whittled down to a handle like the negatives. Duh don don. It sounds like a bad Hollywood movie.
Asking for proof -- doesn't mean you don't like pudding.
For those who can't grasp that concept; well, good luck on this web site in the future. Simply put; it's got nothing to do with negativity for the majority. It's what it is.
No offense Dugay but look at my join date and add 16 months because that's how long I've been lurking here. I stand by what I said. This place is swollen with negative sentiment and I was merely pointing out that the negativity WILL take over this thread. Do you disagree?

Old
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Lewis needs to take a long hard look at each player and their respective strengths and weaknesses. Then he needs to realize that his current game plan and system don't work well with this group of players (would it work with any group of players?). Formulate a new plan/system that uses the teams' strengths, the same strengths that Chiarelli has said to be building the team around: speed and mobility.
Thank- you. Nothing else need be said, it can all be reduced to this; unfortunately it is also referred to as "coaching"; or maybe "common sense".

krauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
No offense Dugay but look at my join date and add 16 months because that's how long I've been lurking here. I stand by what I said. This place is swollen with negative sentiment and I was merely pointing out that the negativity WILL take over this thread. Do you disagree?
YES!!!

Just kidding.

Just sayin I wouldn't assume that people are being negative when they're are speaking some plain truths. Fan is the root wood of 'fan-atic,' but around here we tend to go beyond the fanatical. We analyse, as it should be; however, many times the analyzers and the cheerleaders butt heads -- and so it shall be. This team will miss the playoffs once again, and Boston Bruin fans expect, and rightfully deserve more. After all, we're speaking about the Boston Bruins here. Y'know Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, Gerry Cheevers, Ray Bourque.....

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Five Hole
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtechkidbruin View Post
The biggest problem I see and earlier poster brought it up is the contrast of style's of Chia and Lewis. Chia wants a run and gun or uptemp and I don't think Lewis can coach this type of play.
I disagree.

The Bruins are playing the system; right now they are playing it poorly. I don't think it's a case of Lewis not being capable of coaching the system Peter Chiarelli talks about...I think it's a case of the system needs time to grow. The longer these players play the system the more it will start to resemble the system we all want and expect. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Again...this is just how I see it...But what do I know I still think we don't suck!

Old
03-21-2007, 12:08 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
THe only comments I remember hearing from Chia about the qualities he wanted in his roster players were "speed and character". We are getting there, I think. But it doesn't take into account SKILL, which are the question marks associated with guys like Ference and Kobasew.

doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
I disagree.

The Bruins are playing the system; right now they are playing it poorly. I don't think it's a case of Lewis not being capable of coaching the system Peter Chiarelli talks about...I think it's a case of the system needs time to grow. The longer these players play the system the more it will start to resemble the system we all want and expect. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

Again...this is just how I see it...But what do I know I still think we don't suck!
If the Bruins play Lewis' system perfectly, will they be a good team? I tend to think not. Or if they are, they still wouldn't be able to compete with the teams that play the speed/skill game. Lewis' system is fundamentally flawed imho. It's just not one that is built to succeed in the new NHL. When they play the system perfectly, they win 1-0, 2-0, 2-1. When they play it well, they lose 1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 2-1, etc. When they play it poorly, they lose 7-0, 8-3, 10-2, 7-1, 6-1. If Lewis sticks to this same system next season, I doubt we see a better team. The sooner these players get a better system, the more this team will start to resemble the team we expect. I just don't see how a team built on speed and mobility (as per Chiarelli) can successfully play a system that does not use speed and mobility. If Lewis wants a team to play a trap system where with little forecheck and huge emphasis on "clamping down" in the neutral/defensive zone, then Chiarelli needs to bring in players that are more appropriate to do that.

Old
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
tugnutt-puppa-peca

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results = insanity.

In my opinion, there is a difference between a "fan" and a "fanatic." One is a derivative of the other, but not equal.

tugnutt-puppa-peca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 12:52 PM
dflo

The biggest problem when discussing if the Bruins will be better next year is that this team continues to change it's on ice product. If we go back to the lockout I think the Bruins have changed over 25 players. The other problem is that changes to this squad especially the last two years have drastically changed since opening night. From goal to D to O, the Bruins have been completely overhauled. Going back to Pre-lockout (probably the best Bruins Team in a while) the team is completely different. Just by memory our lineups have changed drastically in three NHL seasons.

Pre Lockout: Opening night- Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Rolston/Bergeron-Lapointe/Bergeron
Top 2 D: Boynton-McGillis/O'Donnell

Final Game: Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Nylander-Bergeron
Top 2 D: Gonchar-Boynton

Goalie: Raycroft (Entire Year)

Last Year: Opening Night- Isbister-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Zhamnov-Bergeron/Scathard or ????
Top 2 D: Leetch-Boyton
Goalie: Raycroft

Final Game: Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes
Czerkawski-Reasoner-Murray
Top 2 D: Stuart-Leetch/Tanabe/Gill
Goalie: Toivennen/Thomas

This Year: Opening Night- Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes
Axelsson-Savard-Murray
Top 2 D: Chara-Stuart
Goalie: Thomas/Toivennen

Final Game w/injuries: Kessel-Savard-Kobasew
Sturm-Bergeron-Bochenski
Top 2 D: Chara-Ward/Ference
Goalie: Thomas

Please feel free to correct me but the Bruins change seasonly and not yearly. Our top six up front and our D-men go through a revolving door. Management has shown to be very impatient and therefore have become unpredictable. Boyes struggled gone, Thornton lost a faceoff gone, Knubel, Nylander, and Rolston were cap casualties. Gonchar, Boynton, Raycroft, Lapointe.........gone!!! I'm not saying that the Bruins would be better or worse with these players but sometimes too much change is dangerous. The Bruins might be the only team that has changed so much and unfortunately it hasn't worked. In fairness to Chia, his starting wingers were injured down the stretch and that has hampered the B's run.

Our current top six are not good enough, likewise for the D, and it's arguable that Timmy isn't up to par. The draft pick won't have an impact, one of the kids in Providence probably won't have an immediate impact because Lewis won't allow it therefore the Bruins must improve through free agency and or a trade. Chia's recent track history for trading to improve has failed and with Lewis' reluctance to play youngsters, the only way this team improves is if a top tier free agent comes therefore more change to the roster. After that it's anyone's guess what final point total and for that matter the final roster will look like.

dflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflo View Post
The biggest problem when discussing if the Bruins will be better next year is that this team continues to change it's on ice product. If we go back to the lockout I think the Bruins have changed over 25 players.
There have been almost 100 players to have worn a Bruins jersey in the last 3 NHL seasons.

That's WAY too many and really takes away the "pride" of wearing a Boston Bruins uniform.

Old
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
dflo

We haven't even had Teddy Donato or a Steve Heinze or a Don Sweeney type guy here in over three years. The Bruins have never been a powerhouse in recent years (again that's management's fault) but there were always 5 or 6 solid players and there were always great role players that loved playing for the Bruins. It's not only about fighting or being gritty it's just about players you can count on. Axelsson being the exception, the Bruins depth has been has beens and career minor leaguer's and as fast they get to Boston is as fast as they get out of Boston.

dflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Five Hole
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
If the Bruins play Lewis' system perfectly, will they be a good team?
That’s a fair question. I think they would win our hearts back in a minute if they actually played the system well.

The system breaks down when players don’t play smart physical hockey. You can tell a guy to hit somebody but you can’t make him do it. Most people here feel that Lewis has put a leash on at least some of his players. I think that’s pretty ridiculous, although Chara makes for an intriguing case. The players are the ones who come out hitting against Montréal and then sleep-walking against Colorado. The players are the ones who are not on the same page and the players are the ones not getting it done.

Sure we can point a finger at the coach but if we bake a “blame pie” for this season I think the players get a solid 40% and remember I believe in this roster going forward (with a few tweaks).

When the players are playing this system well this team buzzes all over the ice, they are physical and aggressive…although they don’t get a tone of scoring chances right now…those will come in time. I think we’ll be just fine.