HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

I think next year we will see a new team

Old
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
since76

vCash: 500
2,Bergy is not an all star. He is nice player but after last year I thought he would be all star material. I don't think he is.

100% true..i'm very desapointed about Bergy
may be another millionnaire...to sit on his money....to much money to young for a 70 pts guy who don't give anymore a physical game to bad

since76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfus View Post

Remember, though he was the 'man behind the curtain' last summer, he came out when he traded Mara-for-Ward and said he had nothing to do with the Boynton-Mara deal.
sounds like a bunch of fluff to me...chia couldn't say he was involved in the mara deal, b/c it would've been against league rules. an easy way out for him, basically - "i had nothing to do w/the mara deal". he seems like a pretty honest guy - the kind of guy who would own up to his mistakes. i wonder if he'd change his tune off-the-record with count von dupes

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by since76 View Post
2,Bergy is not an all star. He is nice player but after last year I thought he would be all star material. I don't think he is.

100% true..i'm very desapointed about Bergy
may be another millionnaire...to sit on his money....to much money to young for a 70 pts guy who don't give anymore a physical game to bad
i wouldn't worry about bergeron. when he's 100% next year, he'll be back to the two-way force we saw last season.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:35 PM
since76

reality is not negative or positive...it's simple ....this team don't perform with lewis and chia has made horribles trade....that's not negative to say lewis is the worst nhl coach..it's the reality

Old
03-21-2007, 06:38 PM
since76

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i wouldn't worry about bergeron. when he's 100% next year, he'll be back to the two-way force we saw last season.
Believe me i really WISH bergie is injuried right now...cause if he don't i say trade him befor his value fall

Old
03-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I dont mean to jump in and just start arguing, cause I like a lot of what you are saying, but if speed is the key, why is it we see York, Mowers, Hoggan, etc... out there, while Chistov gets benched and hardly registers playing time. I liked that he played more vs MTL, it was nice to see him out there at the end of the game, and the fact that his performance was so-so really wasnt that surprising to me.

Ig uess my question is, why do we see Mowers out there so often in favor of our younger guys. Last night, 6 minutes to go, Mowers was on the ice. The guy has zero offense, none, and is still a favored fella it seems. Why does he deserve that spot more then say Krejci, Kalus, Chistov, Karsums, Walter....

I really hope your ideas are correct, and I think they kinda fall in line with what Chia wants, but Lewis just doesnt seem to follow suit. This is why I dont see the team improving... well its not that I dont see them improving, because experience will dictate they get better, but I dont see them realiziing their full potential.
Every team has those pluggers, but the fact is we have to play those guys because we were right up at the salary cap when the season started. Chiarelli has done a great job freeing up cap room anyway he could.

As far as the guys in Providence, most of them are right on the bubble, but still weren't developed enough to make the team this year. Except for Stuart, he's definitely NHL-ready. Guys like Walter, Thompson, Krejci, Kalus, Karsums, and Lashoff are all guys who will challenge for spots next year, and make Chiarelli's job a whole 'lot easier.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
erfus

Quote:
sounds like a bunch of fluff to me...chia couldn't say he was involved in the mara deal, b/c it would've been against league rules. an easy way out for him, basically - "i had nothing to do w/the mara deal". he seems like a pretty honest guy - the kind of guy who would own up to his mistakes. i wonder if he'd change his tune off-the-record with count von dupes
It would be interesting, because it sure did not come off that way to me when the deal went down. That snippet...where was it? Not in the Globe. The magic of the interweb is that I can check...
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...22/1009/SPORTS
Wooostah Telegram.
Quote:
The deals seemed to reflect a major shift in defensive philosophy by the Bruins, although general manager Peter Chiarelli was quick to point out that the acquisition of Mara last summer from Phoenix for defenseman Nick Boynton predated his regime.
No direct quotes, so it is dangerous to speculate. So I will not. I will just say it doesn't come off as PC covering his backside from tampering/contractual charges. It comes off as PC saying the Boynton-Mara deal wasn't his idea.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:45 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFTW View Post
COC: you got the system's basic idea right. It's all neutral zone play and transition play. Our offense at the start of the season (what little of it we had) didn't look geared for a transition offense style.

We needed to get speedy guys who were smart in the neutral zone, and who could break up plays, and keep the speed going for 2-on-1's, 3-on-2's, etc. We soon realized our team, particularly our defense, wasn't that fast. We needed speedier players. We got Stanislav Chistov, Petr Tenkrat, Chuck Kobasew, Andrew Ference, and Brandon Bochenski. All of these guys are fast, and can kick it up when they need to. They also have a ton of skill.

The system works. We see that it works in the other successful teams who employ it. But they've been employing it for years, this team hasn't. The players needed to get used to it and work out the kinks. And I think, for the most part, they've done that. Which means, next season the players be more comfortable playing "their" game, and if/when Murray goes and a couple Providence kids graduate, we'll be even younger and faster.

I love the direction this team is headed.
Great post. I love what you're saying. I really do. Love the optimism and wish I could share in it.

Personally, I thought this team did have speedy players to begin with. Kessel, Sturm, Bergeron, Axelsson, Donovan, Stuart, Mara, Alberts were all very good skaters and pretty fast. Then they added Tenkrat, Chistov and later Kobasew. Bochenski I don't consider very fast. I'd say he's a slightly better skater than Boyes. In actuality, his play reminds me ALOT of Boyes. Also, the way he's being used reminds me a lot of Boyes, you know, 2nd unit PP, limited ice time .

Moving on...

I've watched a lot of hockey this season. Probably moreso than I ever have in any other season (thanks to the Center Ice package). I really haven't seen any other team employ a strategy/system similar to Boston's. Or perhaps the other teams just do it so much better that Boston's just doesn't resemble it. Could you please tell me some of the other teams you see using the same system? I'd like to watch them closely and see what they do differently or better.

I hope the team goes in the direction you think it's headed.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
I was actually somewhat relieved when I heard Chia say he didn't orchestrate the Boynton/Mara deal. I dont like it when a GM gives up on a player that quickly/easily. I like what Ward has brought, but I really wonder how much Lewis had to do with the trade. Ward to me is an older more experienced Boynton, so essentially, Chia (who you say did orchestrate the deal) traded a gritty hard-nosed defenseman to get a puck moving transition game offensive type defensemen, then traded him for a gritty hard-nosed defenseman Ah well, Ward's been alright. But the element lacking that Mara brought (or could potentially have brought) is sorely lacking right now.

On another note, if Chia did own up to being part of that deal and also the Chara/Savard deals (if he hasn't already), could he face punishment? if so, what?

Old
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
Every team has those pluggers, but the fact is we have to play those guys because we were right up at the salary cap when the season started. Chiarelli has done a great job freeing up cap room anyway he could.

As far as the guys in Providence, most of them are right on the bubble, but still weren't developed enough to make the team this year. Except for Stuart, he's definitely NHL-ready. Guys like Walter, Thompson, Krejci, Kalus, Karsums, and Lashoff are all guys who will challenge for spots next year, and make Chiarelli's job a whole 'lot easier.
This is what I'm most excited for. If 1 of these fine prospects can jump in and put up numbers like Paul Stastny, Dustin Penner, Jordan Staal, Travis Zajac, Ryan Clowe, Guillaume Latendress, Joe Pavelski, Matt Carle, ME Vlasic, Nathan Paetsch, Ian White or our very own Phil Kessel, then the team is one deeper. Those players are all solid contributors.

so if,
-Kalus turns out to be a gem (i.e. better than Latendress )
-Krejci becomes a very dependable and dangerous player
-Walter takes Mowers' spot
-Lashoff emerges as a top 4 defenseman
-Stuart emerges as a shut down defenseman
or the big wildcard...
-Toivonen rebounds and becomes a no.1 goalie

then the team would be VERY good. That's 6 huge IFs. But if just one 1 of those turns out for Boston, the team is immediately better.

I wish I could watch some P-Bruins games so I could evaluate those youngsters...

Old
03-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Could you please tell me some of the other teams you see using the same system?
Teams like New Jersey, Dallas, and Vancouver all use that system, they just do it a helluva 'lot better than we did this year.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Teams like New Jersey, Dallas, and Vancouver all use that system, they just do it a helluva 'lot better than we did this year.
Brodeur, Turco, and Roberto Luongo might have a little something to do with those teams successes. Elite goaltenders, there are only so many, other teams score goals to win.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
I've watched Vancouver play quite a bit. Don't really spend too much time watching Dallas or New Jersey. I wouldn't say Vancouver's system is similar to Boston's, but they do rely on Luongo a lot. But for good reason. He is one of three elite netminders in the NHL. Brodeur and the Devils have been playing a defense first trap style system for a long time. Mostly because Brodeur somewhat forces them to play that way and he is of course their best player, so you build the system around that appropriately. Tim Thomas is no elite goaltender. He's a capable no.1, but not a guy you should build the system around, which seems to be the case in Boston. This is what I mean by picking the appropriate system for the team. Boston is not a team that should rely on their goaltender. He'll be there when they need him, but they should focus more on puck possession, using their speed, aggressive forechecking, and OFFENSE. IMHO, that is the system that would make them more successful.

I also think that Vancouver uses a lot more forechecking than Boston and their system doesn't back up and allow teams to enter as easily as Boston does. Or maybe it's just the players

Old
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Brodeur, Turco, and Roberto Luongo might have a little something to do with those teams successes. Elite goaltenders, there are only so many, other teams score goals to win.
That's why our #1 priority should be to get a goaltender near that level. Jean-Sebastien Giguere just happens to be available.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
That's why our #1 priority should be to get a goaltender near that level. Jean-Sebastien Giguere just happens to be available.
You honestly believe he will come to Boston. You want to say we will be a better team with a new goalie, yet criticize me when I say we would be a better team with a new system? That's a bit hypocrytical. Thomas is as near that level as you can get without actually being elite, and there a lot of teams out there currently winning games, and the cup with a worse goalie, and a worse roster.

The difference between the two trains of thought, is that yours will cost us 6-7 million easily, and most likely wouldnt even happen then as Giguere will probably elect to stay in Anaheim. Not to mention, its great to ge a better goalie, but it doesnt help when on the best nights we get only 3 goals. You better scratch off Giggy and start looking at Brodeur or Luongo, because they are the only two that can win night in and night out under those conditions.

My train of thought costs us one coach, or even a good sit down with said coach, we keep the valuable resources we haven't already traded away for scraps, and improve with what we already have in the system, as opposed to needing to buy an entire new roster to conform to the coachs system. This means Mowers, Donovan, Tenkrat, York, Allen all take long walks off short peers (figuratively of course, I dont actually wish them harm). Kalus, Walters, Krejci... players of the like all get actual playing time.

I see a lot of people saying Dave Lewis deserves no fault in this matter, and the players are the ones on the ice performing. If this is the case, why even have a head coach, why do head coaches often get fired? Do they not arrange practices, something meant to improve players and every aspect of the game. Thsi team has actually gotten worse as the season went on. Now we are lucky to score a single goal, opposed the 2 or 3 we could get when the season started.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
You honestly believe he will come to Boston. You want to say we will be a better team with a new goalie, yet criticize me when I say we would be a better team with a new system? That's a bit hypocrytical. Thomas is as near that level as you can get without actually being elite, and there a lot of teams out there currently winning games, and the cup with a worse goalie, and a worse roster.

The difference between the two trains of thought, is that yours will cost us 6-7 million easily, and most likely wouldnt even happen then as Giguere will probably elect to stay in Anaheim. Not to mention, its great to ge a better goalie, but it doesnt help when on the best nights we get only 3 goals. You better scratch off Giggy and start looking at Brodeur or Luongo, because they are the only two that can win night in and night out under those conditions.

My train of thought costs us one coach, or even a good sit down with said coach, we keep the valuable resources we haven't already traded away for scraps, and improve with what we already have in the system, as opposed to needing to buy an entire new roster to conform to the coachs system. This means Mowers, Donovan, Tenkrat, York, Allen all take long walks off short peers (figuratively of course, I dont actually wish them harm). Kalus, Walters, Krejci... players of the like all get actual playing time.

I see a lot of people saying Dave Lewis deserves no fault in this matter, and the players are the ones on the ice performing. If this is the case, why even have a head coach, why do head coaches often get fired? Do they not arrange practices, something meant to improve players and every aspect of the game. Thsi team has actually gotten worse as the season went on. Now we are lucky to score a single goal, opposed the 2 or 3 we could get when the season started.
Amen to that. This team needs to draft forwards, sign forwards, convert d-men to forwards, ask the ice girls to play forward, or whatever it's going to take to improve this team's offense. It's been poor all year and has been dreadful lately. Boyes was traded because we had so many forwards. We had/have quantity, not quality. That trade deprived us of someone who can put the puck in the net. Something Hoggan, Walter, and Reich can't do. I use those three as examples because they were the only line that looked good the other night against the Habs. That's not even a good AHL line.
Here's what I'd do. Trade Axellson for a forward with scoring potential. He's misused under Lewis and by the time Lewis gets the axe, Axe will be 33. IF you're going to trade Murray, you better acquire 40 goals. I don't care if it's from the Murray trade or from free agency, but we would need to 20-30 guys to replace what he brings. I agree with the argument that he is one-dimensional, but that's the dimension that we're sorely lacking.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
Amen to that. This team needs to draft forwards, sign forwards, convert d-men to forwards, ask the ice girls to play forward, or whatever it's going to take to improve this team's offense. It's been poor all year and has been dreadful lately. Boyes was traded because we had so many forwards. We had/have quantity, not quality. That trade deprived us of someone who can put the puck in the net. Something Hoggan, Walter, and Reich can't do. I use those three as examples because they were the only line that looked good the other night against the Habs. That's not even a good AHL line.
Here's what I'd do. Trade Axellson for a forward with scoring potential. He's misused under Lewis and by the time Lewis gets the axe, Axe will be 33. IF you're going to trade Murray, you better acquire 40 goals. I don't care if it's from the Murray trade or from free agency, but we would need to 20-30 guys to replace what he brings. I agree with the argument that he is one-dimensional, but that's the dimension that we're sorely lacking.
I would add to that list, Mowers (having a career year with 14 whopping points), Donovan, Tenkrat, and Axe. Chistov also will not produce getting 5 minutes a night.

Thats eight total, more then two full lines, almost three full lines of players that aren't capable of producing offensively, and we wonder why we can't score? Yes, lets get a new goalie.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
That would be the best case scenario. If the Bruins could land Giguere, then obviously they are in tip top shape and perhaps the system could work. But what if they can't land him? Furthermore, what if they can't land any goalie and are forced to go with Thomas/Toivonen (maybe MacDonald) again? Should they continue the same system? I would think not. Adapt. They don't have an elite goalie to be able to run that system, so adjust it, change it so that they are so reliant on Thomas ******** pucks out of his ass

Old
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

Quote:
I would add to that list, Mowers (having a career year with 14 whopping points), Donovan, Tenkrat, and Axe. Chistov also will not produce getting 5 minutes a night.

Thats eight total, more then two full lines, almost three full lines of players that aren't capable of producing offensively, and we wonder why we can't score? Yes, lets get a new goalie.
I actually like Tenkrat. He's played very well over the last 2-3 months. I'd keep him at around league minimum if possible. Put him in Axe's real role. He has the speed to shadow anybody. He's got more offensive skill than Axe. He's also younger and cheaper.
Everything else you said is right on. This team needs offense (see my last post). Timmy is a pretty good goalie. He's definitely good enough for a team stuck on the cusp of the playoffs for the foreseeable future. We need goals. I don't expect 40 goal scorers, but 20-30 goal scorers. Dave Reid types would make this team world's better. A guy who's defensively aware and will pot at least 20 goals. Reid played with grit and had at least a pocket-full of offensive ability. Donovan, Mowers, Hoggan, Chistov (as currently used), Lacoture, Langfeld, etc couldn't score 25 goals between them all.

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzicka38 View Post
I actually like Tenkrat. He's played very well over the last 2-3 months. I'd keep him at around league minimum if possible. Put him in Axe's real role. He has the speed to shadow anybody. He's got more offensive skill than Axe. He's also younger and cheaper.
Everything else you said is right on. This team needs offense (see my last post). Timmy is a pretty good goalie. He's definitely good enough for a team stuck on the cusp of the playoffs for the foreseeable future. We need goals. I don't expect 40 goal scorers, but 20-30 goal scorers. Dave Reid types would make this team world's better. A guy who's defensively aware and will pot at least 20 goals. Reid played with grit and had at least a pocket-full of offensive ability. Donovan, Mowers, Hoggan, Chistov (as currently used), Lacoture, Langfeld, etc couldn't score 25 goals between them all.
I agree, Tenkrat also has more offensive capabilities then Axe, Mowers, perhaps even Donovan. Plus his new found PK abilities are impressive. He would fit well as a checking line/PK specialist forward. As long as we didnt have 8 other ones. I would also prefer they keep Axe and use him properly (unless the return was excellent).

A 4th line of Axe, Reich, and Tenkrat wouldn't be bad at all.

Bochenski, Savard, Murray
Sturm, Bergeron, Kessel
Kobasew, Krejci, Kalus

could be the other 3 lines. That doesnt look like a team to me that should struggle to score. Heck, with Chistov to spare.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:

1. What team has won the cup with a worse goalie than Tim Thomas and a worse roster than the one we have now? None. That statement was just ridiculous.

2. Your calling me hypocritical? Why, because I don't agree with you? Like I've said, New Jersey, Dallas, and Vancouver employ the system that we do, so it is a good system. And if you have a system that you think is better than one that NHL teams have been employing for almost decade, please drive down to the Garden, and apply for the coaching job. The team would be much better with you behind the bench.

3. "Not to mention, its great to ge a better goalie, but it doesnt help when on the best nights we get only 3 goals."

Did you think before you typed this? If we had a goalie like Jean-Sebastien Giguere, those 3 goals would win us most games.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:31 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:

1. What team has won the cup with a worse goalie than Tim Thomas and a worse roster than the one we have now? None. That statement was just ridiculous.

2. Your calling me hypocritical? Why, because I don't agree with you? Like I've said, New Jersey, Dallas, and Vancouver employ the system that we do, so it is a good system. And if you have a system that you think is better than one that NHL teams have been employing for almost decade, please drive down to the Garden, and apply for the coaching job. The team would be much better with you behind the bench.

3. "Not to mention, its great to ge a better goalie, but it doesnt help when on the best nights we get only 3 goals."

Did you think before you typed this? If we had a goalie like Jean-Sebastien Giguere, those 3 goals would win us most games.
I can name 2 off the top of my head.

Cam Ward
Nikolai Khabibulin

They are both worse goaltenders this season.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

I'd take Cam Ward over Tim Thomas any day of the week. Khabibulin just got killed by the new rules/equipment shrinkage.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:41 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
I'd take Cam Ward over Tim Thomas any day of the week. Khabibulin just got killed by the new rules/equipment shrinkage.
Of course anyone would. Cam Ward is still super young and he just won a Conn Smyth. Wasn't asking who you would take. You ask what teams won the Cup with a worse goalie than Thomas. The answer is: Cam Ward and Nikolai Khabibulin. They are both worse goalies this season.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

Well way to make it personal. I think before I type, and the statement wasnt ridiculous.

1. Cam Ward is worse then Thomas, they won the cup last year, no?

2. Yes I alluded to you saying something hypocritical. You criticize others for saying we would be a better team with a better system, yet you have no problem saying we would be a better team without Thomas. He's the only reason we are as good as we are, and really deserves some respect. Giguere doesn't fix this teams problems, in fact his salary would compound them.

3. Yes I did think before I typed, I usually do, thanks for asking. Notice how it says on the best nights, it says best nights because the majority of our games we score 2 or less goals.

With a far superior defense and team, Giguere has allowed more then 2 goals in 20 games, and less then 3 goals in 32. for Bruins record of 32-20-0, eerily similar to TT's 30 wins and 24 losses.

All this, and remember Giguere plays behind Neidermyer, and Pronger, 2 defensman that are greater then all 6 of ours combined. Giguere will also cost most likely more then 5 million more then Thoma come next year. So yea, I thought about it a lil bit.