HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upcoming NW Division Games

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Upcoming NW Division Games

Well the boys are 1-0-2 on this trip so far after the game in Anaheim and have basically no travel to the game at Staples on Tuesday night. After the LA game comes the most important stretch of the season to my mind:

Minnesota - 3 games
Calgary - 2 games
Vancouver - 2 games

If they go 5 for 7 in this stretch then they put a big dent in 2 teams they are fighting for playoff position with (Calgary and Minny). Go hard in LA and then buckle down for a major NW division battle in the back end of December.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:03 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

would especially be great if we could actually beat vancouver. after last years losses especially at home(naslunds four goals), payback would be nice. three hard working teams, the oilers had better have their a game going.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:03 PM
Dangerdanger

Im pretty scared about how naslund bertuzzi and jovanovski are going to manhandle our penalty kill. I better start praying now that we dont take any penalties. I recalle a 6-3 loss last year that really sent this team on a downward spiral and naslund with 4 goals, at least a couple on the power play.
nasty nasty thoughts.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:10 PM
SerbianEagle

I remember someone saying "every streak starts before you see the results". Well if the last 3 games are anything to go by, this team is catching form and at the best possible time. Calgary fans are full of their team now, and deservedly so, however end of the year counts and nothing else. I feel a good streak coming for the Oilers.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:26 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Hope so. Otherwise, they're going to get rolled up. If the Oil get clobbered in this stretch of games (and they could) then they'll be in a big hole.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Mizral

The Canucks power play bites the big one this season. I wouldn't worry *too* much.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
The Canucks power play bites the big one this season. I wouldn't worry *too* much.
Wow...they're currently ranked 18th at a 15% clip. What the heck's going on there? I would've thought they would be much higher than that.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Right now we could be playing the cast of Big Comfy Couch, and even they'd manage atleast 1 PP goal.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:36 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Wow...they're currently ranked 18th at a 15% clip. What the heck's going on there? I would've thought they would be much higher than that.
Well, I'm going to say it's three things.

#1 - Puck luck has not been very good in the last 4 weeks for the Canucks in general, most of all on the power play. Ce la vie, mind you.

#2 - There is not nearly enough urgency. Crawford used to play a PP unit of: Morrison/Bertuzzi/Naslund, Salo/Jovanovski - however, Bertuzzi and Morrison in particular look to pass way too often. So Crawford mixed it up with Linden, and removed Salo, and played it like this: Linden/Bertuzzi/Naslund, Morrison/Jovanovski. It seems to be gelling.. slowly... but getting chances and not scoring still isn't helping matters.

#3 - The Canucks have yet to play a lot of weak teams. It bothers me when I look at the Wings schedule and see them play the Ducks, Caps, Penguins, Oilers (sorry, well, they were pretty weak that game at least), etc.. every other game, whereas the Canucks have played the Pens and that's about it for weak teams lately (oh, and the Canes, but nobody can score against the Canes anyways). I think the Canucks have run into real good defensive teams or teams that have real good goaltending way too often lately. Looking ahead on the schedule, there will be an easier go of it basically from now on until late January. I expect the 'Nucks to improve their power play drastically from January 1st onward, if not now.

I would say that one small other thing is that Crawford doesn't play the second power play unit enough. The Sedin line has been real dangerous on the power play (and 5 on 5 the last couple games too), but haven't been putting the puck into the net. I attribute this to them only getting the tail end of the power play, usually about 30 seconds left in it, and not having enough time to work with it. I'd like to see maybe Henrik used more on the 1st power play unit too (this has been happening recently), as he shows very good chemistry with Naslund.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:45 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Yeah but so does our PK%. We make PITs without Mario...look like they were the Wings or COL..
uggh..that's ugly

Old
12-15-2003, 11:04 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Not to worry. The Oilers' PK is SO bad I think MacT might try to concede the goal for every penalty so that they'd have 2 more ES minutes in the game to try to get it back.

And the Oilers' PK is SO bad it would be foolish for Crawford to accept that offer.

I expect the divers to be busy against the Oilers in the next month.

Closed Thread