HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Wishful Thinking: Your ideal coach situation next season

View Poll Results: Ideally, who would be the best fit as Bruins Head Coach in 2007-2008?
Stay with Dave Lewis - he needs another shot. 9 12.16%
Bring back Pat Burns - he's proven that he can succeed 10 13.51%
Give Scott Gordon a try - experience is overrated 31 41.89%
Marc Habscheid deserves to call up to head coach 5 6.76%
Wayne Cashman - he's got experience as an assistant coach 7 9.46%
A young retired Bruin to instill a sense of pride back into the organization (Neely?) 10 13.51%
Mike Sullivan wasn't so bad... 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOfChampions View Post
idk why but i want Tortella to be our coach
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
Sad part is is how the Bruins gave up so quickly on some really good coaches. First and foremost, Pat Burns. Second, Brian Sutter.
Don't forget Laviolette!

I voted for Lewis for 1 more year, because I really think he coached a certain way this year where winning was secondary to other things like developing Kessel & Bochenski, integrating new 'core' guys onto the team, including a new Captain, and gaining the players trust.

I think last night we saw a change in approach/strategy from the coaching staff, where our depleted roster left us with a 3rd line of Chistov-Mowers-Tenkrat and that added speed allowed us to forecheck more and activate the D.

I honestly think (and hope) we'll see a completely different guy next year.

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 03-21-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Don Cherry*

I picked the legendary Wayne Cashman. The guy was an all-time great and knew how the game was meant to be played.

I'm surprised that only three others had picked him.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
misterjaggers

Dump Essensa and promote Gordan to assistant coach.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:52 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Jim Schoenfeld is my pick.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Ruzicka38
Oh man

I clicked on the young retired Bruin. I want LB as coach. If he hired some knowledgable assistants, he'd be awesome. Can you imagine the post game interviews. "Yeah, we played like donkeys, guy."
The team would have that frat boy, defend each other mentality. There wouldn't be any boring trap. Pansies would ride pine unless they scored a ton. He'd be great.
BYERS FOR COACH!

Ruzicka38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Boston Bandit

I say give Gordon a try

From the Globe: The consensus is that good work is taking place in Providence.
"Scotty and [assistant coach Rob Murray] do such an unbelievable job down there," said Bruins director of player development Don Sweeney. "We've been fortunate this year to have a wealth of our young talent down there. The dynamic of that team is very good, and obviously it starts with the head coach."

In Lashoff, Gordon has an offensive-thinking defenseman who looked for home run passes or carried the puck out of his own zone early in the season. But Gordon, who prefers an aggressive, up-tempo attack, gave Lashoff a simple lesson: The puck moves faster when it's passed, and a skater moves faster without the puck. Gordon wanted Lashoff to do three things: Read the defense, make short, crisp passes to his forwards, then explode up ice.
"When you move the puck multiple times with good, short, 10- to 20-foot passes, everything has to shift for the other team," said Gordon. "When the puck is moved multiple times, there are multiple shifts. And within that, there's going to be looseness in coverage."

Stuart, a more conservative defender, had a setback when he underwent offseason knee surgery and missed training camp. He also had to adjust to the new rules, relying less on being physical and becoming more of a positional defenseman. Stuart has played 11 NHL games this season and was most recently assigned to Providence Feb. 25.

"What's great about Stuey," said Gordon, "is that when he comes down, he might try to do a little more initially, but he wants to play and goes into the game with the right attitude. He loves to play, plays every game hard, and takes no nights off."

Gordon's most important pupil is Hannu Toivonen, who was also assigned to Providence Feb. 25. The 2006-07 season has been a forgettable one for Toivonen (3-7-1, 4.42 goals-against average, .870 save percentage), once projected to be Boston's No. 1 netminder.
Gordon, a former goalie, believes the solution for Toivonen is simple: playing time. Last January, Toivonen was shelved when he sprained his ankle. He didn't play again for nine months. Gordon knows that goalies rarely improve through practice, where they don't fight the screens and bounces and lasers they see in game action.

One concern is that young players have hit a development trough under Lewis. Milan Jurcina (23 years old) saw little ice time and was traded for a fourth-rounder. Brad Boyes (24) was shipped out at the deadline. Toivonen (22) never got on a hot streak this season.
But Gordon is confident that his AHLers will someday be earning NHL paychecks.
"Before, in my first three years, we had prospects that had talent," said Gordon. "That's what got them drafted. But they didn't have the work ethic or character. These guys have both."

Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/article...gaining_steam/

I like everything I'm hearing about Gordon. He's doing a great job with the youngsters and I think he would be a perfect fit here next year with our young team. His style of play "aggressive, up-tempo attack" would be a breath of fresh air. Go with Gordon! Boston Bandit

Boston Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote