HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Perhaps time to trade Biron?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2003, 06:52 PM
  #1
RattledSABRE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Back to the drawing board.
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Perhaps time to trade Biron?

We've been sitting on a trade that could help the team for a year plus now.If management really wants to make the playoffs this year then soon one of the goalies has to go.Biron makes the most sense to me.Noronen is a better goalie than Marty and Miller is the future.You play Noronen the rest of the year,regardless of poor play,and get offensive help for Marty.Miller would be best served playing out the year in Roch and you could bring up Askey to back-up(he at least has some NHL experience).We get our offensive player,Our goaltending picture becomes clearer, and whatever team gets Biron gets the goalie they are looking for.I understand the season may have to play out a little more for this to happen as teams have to see what they have,but I'm sure Marty would thrive with the right situation,unfortunately it has not been and will not be here.

RattledSABRE is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
  #2
SuperNintendoChalmrs
Registered User
 
SuperNintendoChalmrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Are you sure about that? Aren't you being a little hasty there? Shant we wait until Biron firmly establishes himself as a #1 goalie? After all, he was drafted recently.....1995 if I recall correctly.


SuperNintendoChalmrs is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 08:15 PM
  #3
Necrophile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattledSABRE
We've been sitting on a trade that could help the team for a year plus now.If management really wants to make the playoffs this year then soon one of the goalies has to go.Biron makes the most sense to me.Noronen is a better goalie than Marty and Miller is the future.You play Noronen the rest of the year,regardless of poor play,and get offensive help for Marty.Miller would be best served playing out the year in Roch and you could bring up Askey to back-up(he at least has some NHL experience).We get our offensive player,Our goaltending picture becomes clearer, and whatever team gets Biron gets the goalie they are looking for.I understand the season may have to play out a little more for this to happen as teams have to see what they have,but I'm sure Marty would thrive with the right situation,unfortunately it has not been and will not be here.
Good luck trying to deal a goalie in today's NHL! Teams are saturated with current and future goalies, and the last thing they'd do is sacrifice an offensive player to get an extra goalie.

Necrophile is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 01:01 AM
  #4
RattledSABRE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Back to the drawing board.
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Good luck trying to deal a goalie in today's NHL! Teams are saturated with current and future goalies, and the last thing they'd do is sacrifice an offensive player to get an extra goalie.
A guy can hope can't he?

RattledSABRE is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 02:21 AM
  #5
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattledSABRE
A guy can hope can't he?
There are moves that can be made in a dream world and there are moves that can be made in today's NHL.

The only way the Sabres can move Biron is if they take back a goalie with a bigger contract that is also struggling this season, like say Tommy Salo.

No team is going to give up a solid, or even promising, offensive player for Biron right now. He makes too much money and has too many questions about his play.

Personally, I don't see Biron getting moved any time soon because I don't believe that Golisano is willing to take on the type of contract that would make a Biron trade possible.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 05:58 AM
  #6
lecherous
Registered User
 
lecherous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
What about putting Biron on waivers, and if someone claims him, use the $2.2m they saved to do a deal with a cash-strapped team like the Caps or something.

1. Biron claimed on waivers.
2. Send McKee + 3rd in 03 to WAS for Gonchar, maybe? I heard Gonchar was a UFA after this year, so if that's true I'm pretty certain he might be able to be had for that.

lecherous is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 06:00 AM
  #7
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
What about putting Biron on waivers, and if someone claims him, use the $2.2m they saved to do a deal with a cash-strapped team like the Caps or something.

1. Biron claimed on waivers.
2. Send McKee + 3rd in 03 to WAS for Gonchar, maybe? I heard Gonchar was a UFA after this year, so if that's true I'm pretty certain he might be able to be had for that.
Gonchar is a Group II RFA next summer.

And I'm not sure that would be enough to nab Gonchar out of Washington.

Also, I doubt anyone would pick up Biron off of waivers. If Brian Boucher went unclaimed in the waiver draft, I can't see Biron getting anyone interested enough to pick up the remainder of his $2.2 million contract without dumping an overpaid player in the process.

WhoIsJimBob is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.