HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Perhaps time to trade Biron?

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 06:52 PM
RattledSABRE

vCash: 500
Perhaps time to trade Biron?

We've been sitting on a trade that could help the team for a year plus now.If management really wants to make the playoffs this year then soon one of the goalies has to go.Biron makes the most sense to me.Noronen is a better goalie than Marty and Miller is the future.You play Noronen the rest of the year,regardless of poor play,and get offensive help for Marty.Miller would be best served playing out the year in Roch and you could bring up Askey to back-up(he at least has some NHL experience).We get our offensive player,Our goaltending picture becomes clearer, and whatever team gets Biron gets the goalie they are looking for.I understand the season may have to play out a little more for this to happen as teams have to see what they have,but I'm sure Marty would thrive with the right situation,unfortunately it has not been and will not be here.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Are you sure about that? Aren't you being a little hasty there? Shant we wait until Biron firmly establishes himself as a #1 goalie? After all, he was drafted recently.....1995 if I recall correctly.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Necrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattledSABRE
We've been sitting on a trade that could help the team for a year plus now.If management really wants to make the playoffs this year then soon one of the goalies has to go.Biron makes the most sense to me.Noronen is a better goalie than Marty and Miller is the future.You play Noronen the rest of the year,regardless of poor play,and get offensive help for Marty.Miller would be best served playing out the year in Roch and you could bring up Askey to back-up(he at least has some NHL experience).We get our offensive player,Our goaltending picture becomes clearer, and whatever team gets Biron gets the goalie they are looking for.I understand the season may have to play out a little more for this to happen as teams have to see what they have,but I'm sure Marty would thrive with the right situation,unfortunately it has not been and will not be here.
Good luck trying to deal a goalie in today's NHL! Teams are saturated with current and future goalies, and the last thing they'd do is sacrifice an offensive player to get an extra goalie.

Old
12-15-2003, 01:01 AM
RattledSABRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophile
Good luck trying to deal a goalie in today's NHL! Teams are saturated with current and future goalies, and the last thing they'd do is sacrifice an offensive player to get an extra goalie.
A guy can hope can't he?

Old
12-15-2003, 02:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattledSABRE
A guy can hope can't he?
There are moves that can be made in a dream world and there are moves that can be made in today's NHL.

The only way the Sabres can move Biron is if they take back a goalie with a bigger contract that is also struggling this season, like say Tommy Salo.

No team is going to give up a solid, or even promising, offensive player for Biron right now. He makes too much money and has too many questions about his play.

Personally, I don't see Biron getting moved any time soon because I don't believe that Golisano is willing to take on the type of contract that would make a Biron trade possible.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:58 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
What about putting Biron on waivers, and if someone claims him, use the $2.2m they saved to do a deal with a cash-strapped team like the Caps or something.

1. Biron claimed on waivers.
2. Send McKee + 3rd in 03 to WAS for Gonchar, maybe? I heard Gonchar was a UFA after this year, so if that's true I'm pretty certain he might be able to be had for that.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
What about putting Biron on waivers, and if someone claims him, use the $2.2m they saved to do a deal with a cash-strapped team like the Caps or something.

1. Biron claimed on waivers.
2. Send McKee + 3rd in 03 to WAS for Gonchar, maybe? I heard Gonchar was a UFA after this year, so if that's true I'm pretty certain he might be able to be had for that.
Gonchar is a Group II RFA next summer.

And I'm not sure that would be enough to nab Gonchar out of Washington.

Also, I doubt anyone would pick up Biron off of waivers. If Brian Boucher went unclaimed in the waiver draft, I can't see Biron getting anyone interested enough to pick up the remainder of his $2.2 million contract without dumping an overpaid player in the process.

Closed Thread