HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs: Who do you want to face in the first round? (merged)

View Poll Results: Who do YOU want to face in the opening round?
Buffalo 3 4.48%
New Jersey 17 25.37%
Pittsburgh 9 13.43%
Atlanta 25 37.31%
Let's wait and see... 10 14.93%
We WON'T make the playoffs 3 4.48%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2007, 02:35 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Playoffs: Who do you want to face in the first round? (merged)

First of all, I realize that we need to MAKE the playoffs before we can worry about this, so please save it for another thread.

Unless we go on a completely rediculous win streak or the Davils or Sabres completely lose it, we will be facing one of these teams (assuming we make the playoffs). Which would you rather face? The Devils have Brodeur, but are weaker IMO on the offensive and defensive spectrums. Sabres are more of a question in goal with a good, but young Miller, but probably have the best offensive and defensive depth in the East. I feel we could dominate the Sabres physically, especially much more than the Devils, and we only had 1 bad loss to them this year (with Weekes in goal). This is a really tough choice, but personally I'd take the Sabres.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Geogaddi

I want the Devils. We need some kind of Retribution. But we have to make the Playoffs first to do so.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:58 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
First of all, I realize that we need to MAKE the playoffs before we can worry about this, so please save it for another thread.

Unless we go on a completely rediculous win streak or the Davils or Sabres completely lose it, we will be facing one of these teams (assuming we make the playoffs). Which would you rather face? The Devils have Brodeur, but are weaker IMO on the offensive and defensive spectrums. Sabres are more of a question in goal with a good, but young Miller, but probably have the best offensive and defensive depth in the East. I feel we could dominate the Sabres physically, especially much more than the Devils, and we only had 1 bad loss to them this year (with Weekes in goal). This is a really tough choice, but personally I'd take the Sabres.
I believe there is still a chance we could face the Pens too if we make it... now isn't the time to think about this, though. Like you said, we need to keep winning and get there first. As we saw last night, we can't count on any of the other teams still in the running to make it easier for us.

As for the question, it doesn't matter to me. Either of those teams would be a tough series.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'd rather face the Devils. We don't score enough to beat the Sabres in a 7 game series. I think we match up better with the Debbies, though as above poster noted it may end up that the Pens hold the number 2 seed when all is said and done.

But I'm shooting for the Thrashers, who we'd get as the 6 seed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I just wanted to say, I hate when people ask these kind of questions.

Always reminds me of the year the Devs first made the playoffs and kicked us out on the very last day of the season. Islander fans were ECSTATIC ! "Yay, the Rangers are out and we get to bounce the lowly Devils in round one !"

Yeah, that worked out perfectly for them

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:29 PM
NewYorkStranger

We're three points behind Tampa with a game in hand. I think we have a shot at the 6th spot. If I had my choice between the Devs and the Sabres I definitely take the Devs just for the rivalry factor, but there is a chance to secure the 6th. Of course there is still a chance we miss the playoffs entirely, but I am hoping for the 6th seed.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I just wanted to say, I hate when people ask these kind of questions.

Always reminds me of the year the Devs first made the playoffs and kicked us out on the very last day of the season. Islander fans were ECSTATIC ! "Yay, the Rangers are out and we get to bounce the lowly Devils in round one !"

Yeah, that worked out perfectly for them
Ah, the wonder that was 1988...

I want to face you guys. Devils/Rangers playoff series are always so much fun...

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Ah, the wonder that was 1988...

I want to face you guys. Devils/Rangers playoff series are always so much fun...
Mostly they've been fun for us, so bring it on

Old
03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
TheRedressor

Part of me says that we can skate with the Sabres. We lost to them in OT and 2 shootouts earlier in the season with the dreaded Kasper, Bozo defense. Henrik is on FIRE and they are not the same team they were in the fall.

Another part of me says LETS BEAT THE LIVING DAYLIGHT out of the Devils after the shame that they brought this franchise last year in the playoffs. We are no longer a one man show and having Sean Avery could be the decided edge for this team.

The third part of me says Atlanta is very beatable with a sub-par defense and a goaltender who shows flashes of brilliance. However they are a VERY PHYSICAL team that is well coached by Bob Hartley and the idea of Holik shutting down lines during the playoffs does frighten me. However I would love to see the "Battle of the Hossas"

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:44 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Have you taken a look at the standings? Pittsburgh could easily be in the #2 seed come April. So could Atlanta.

But I'm not choosing the poison until its clinched.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
lotus

Neither, Atlanta. I think it would be exciting. But if I have to choose between the two, well, I wont =p

I fear the Sabres but if it's the devils I KNOW I'm going to spend every last dime i have to attend each and every game, home and away. like I did last year, only that wasn't as expensive as i predicted.

Eh devil tickets are cheap anyway, what the hell. *votes devs*

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Have you taken a look at the standings? Pittsburgh could easily be in the #2 seed come April. So could Atlanta.
Don't wanna play them AT ALL. I am not sure if we could shut down Crosby/Malkin/Staal/Gonchar/Christiansen for 7 games. However, Pitt's D is swiss cheese.

Old
03-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Part of me says that we can skate with the Sabres. We lost to them in OT and 2 shootouts earlier in the season with the dreaded Kasper, Bozo defense. Henrik is on FIRE and they are not the same team they were in the fall.

Another part of me says LETS BEAT THE LIVING DAYLIGHT out of the Devils after the shame that they brought this franchise last year in the playoffs. We are no longer a one man show and having Sean Avery could be the decided edge for this team.

The third part of me says Atlanta is very beatable with a sub-par defense and a goaltender who shows flashes of brilliance. However they are a VERY PHYSICAL team that is well coached by Bob Hartley and the idea of Holik shutting down lines during the playoffs does frighten me. However I would love to see the "Battle of the Hossas"
I wouldnt mind playing the Sabes, then again I wouldnt mind playing anyone. The playoffs are a whole new ballgame.

Atlanta is similar to the Nordiques team we beat in 95, i'd have no problems facing them.

Old
03-21-2007, 03:48 PM
cringer

The Rangers are also 3 points out of 6th place with a game in hand.

I very much prefer 6th place and face the SE division winner in round 1.

Then face a better team in Round 2. That's what I'm hoping for.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Ola

There is more to gain beating the Devils.

Maybe I am biased, but it seems like we are outplaying them on a regular basis, but still can't get out on top.

They will be extreme favorites this time, and if we can send em packing we might finally have killed that ghost.

At the same time, we have had problems with them. We played Buffalo when they were playing far better then they are right now, the last 3 games we managed to play pretty well against them, come from behind to tie it up and get a point.

Buffalo had a ton of problems with Jagr and Co., they really don't have a D or center to assign to Jagr.

At the same time, Buffalo are damn good, I wouldn't feel safe if we had a 4 goal lead against them gooing into a 3rd.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
It's a tough call all around. Buffalo and NJ are supposedly superior teams, but neither have been playing to form recently. Atlanta, the #3 or "easy" seed (there isn't enough time for them to pick up 6 points in the standings and grab the #2 spot), has been red hot. And the Pens have been hot too, and could grab the #2 spot. So you have 2 talented teams that are underperforming, and 2 not as talented teams that are hot. Either way, it's a massive hill to climb.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
It's a tough call all around. Buffalo and NJ are supposedly superior teams, but neither have been playing to form recently. Atlanta, the #3 or "easy" seed (there isn't enough time for them to pick up 6 points in the standings and grab the #2 spot), has been red hot. And the Pens have been hot too, and could grab the #2 spot. So you have 2 talented teams that are underperforming, and 2 not as talented teams that are hot. Either way, it's a massive hill to climb.

Yeah Atlanta has been a completley different team since the deadline. Perhaps job well done by Don Waddell? We'll see if thats true if he is lifting the Cup at the end of the season.

Old
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
shoothepuck

Playing and beating the Devils would be great

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Id like us to play the Thrashers, but thats 99.999% because I live in atlanta and will actually get to see a Ranger playoff game for the first time in my life live

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 06:09 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Playing and beating the Devils would be great

Not 100% sure that would happen.

Old
03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Doesnt MATTER. Have to beat the best to be the best.

I'm feeling Atlanta in the 1st round.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
devilsfan30

i can see this current rangers team giving the devils a hell of a lot of problems if they meet up especially if the devils don't get fully healthy come playoff time.

devilsfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I'd say 6th place is a serious possibility at this point

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:08 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post

One word

DEVILS!!!!

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
In The Flesh

I'll say Devils, but I don't want any Deja Vu', if you know what I mean.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote