HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Laraque to Philly? Speculation...

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 09:29 PM
serum114

vCash: 500
Laraque to Philly? Speculation...

Okay, so, over the past couple weeks it has been noted that a) BG is on the block, b) Philly scouts were present on the recent homestand and c) Comrie is being offered up for picks/prospects and Lowe wants cash to address current needs.

What are the possibilities that, with Lapointe out, Clarke is looking to bolster his bottom six with a CLASSIC Clarke guy in Laraque?

Seriously, do you think one of Philly's veteran lesser used D men might be in Lowe's sights? Someone like Ragnarsson, Therien or Weinrich? I'm not sure on blueline depth in Philly, but all those guys are in the 2.5-3.5 range and could be a veteran presence Lowe may want to acquire (as IMO, a solid top 4 D man is our biggest IMMEDIATE need).

This is all off the top of my head. Impossible? Possible? Likely?

Thoughts?

Old
12-14-2003, 09:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Those three wouldn't address that specific need. None of them are a significant enough upgrade to warrant the deal, much less the salary.

I don't see alot of trading options in Philly. If we had the assets obviously we'd go for the under-performing but disgustingly talented Simon Gagne, but other than that I'm not seeing many reasonable options. They have a couple decent defencemen who might be available but wouldn't really help right now and are kinda iffy in the long run anyway. Better deals to be found elsewhere, use Philly as a marketing tool.

What we should have done is make a run at the sort of goaltending tandem Philly has.........wow what a luxury.

Old
12-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Oi'll say!

Philly has only lost 4 times all year, I don't think that they're going to give up any valuable roster players even for BG. Besides, they still have Brashear unless he's hurt too.

If the Oil are going to get someone for their active roster I think it will have to be from a non-contender or at least a team that's not scorching hot right now.

Woywitka and some kind of fwd prospect/pick?

Old
12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
dem

Why? Ive seen a couple people mention Laraque to Philly but it makes no sense. Philly already has Donald Brashear...

Old
12-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Why? Ive seen a couple people mention Laraque to Philly but it makes no sense. Philly already has Donald Brashear...
Return of the Broad Street Bullies? Brashear and Laraque are good friends. It might be the one place Laraque agrees to be traded to?

Maybe not. Seems far fetched.

Old
12-15-2003, 04:51 AM
Teezax

i'd love to see a good old native boy from Montreal come play for Philly, he actually used to play semi pro soccer with a buddy of mine.

However i don't see the FLyers offering anything more than a Therien and pick package. Here's hoping Lowe takes a page out of the old Mike Milbury book on this one.

Closed Thread