HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Official Henrik Lundqvist Thread

Old
03-22-2007, 06:06 AM
Kluivert4Ever

vCash: 500
Doesn´t it bother some fans, at least those who has been a fan for a long time like myself that Lundqvist (while he has played great) seems more popular than Richter?

I mean how many Richter chants did we hear during his entire tenure with the team? I´m betting Lundqvist had more in his first season and that does not seem right.

Like I said Lundqvist has played well for two years but as of yet he doesn´t deserve to hold Richters jockstrap when it comes to career achievements in the NHL.

Just doesn´t seem right to me.
Guess I love Mikey too much and would do anything to see him back between the pipes for the playoff run.

Last edited by Kluivert4Ever: 03-22-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Kluivert4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:34 AM
atreides

For the Vezina ... Brodeur, Luongo and Lundqvist ?

atreides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:38 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreides View Post
For the Vezina ... Brodeur, Luongo and Lundqvist ?
He was a canidate last year too.

....Hank YOU DA BOMB!

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever View Post
Doesn´t it bother some fans, at least those who has been a fan for a long time like myself that Lundqvist (while he has played great) seems more popular than Richter?

I mean how many Richter chants did we hear during his entire tenure with the team? I´m betting Lundqvist had more in his first season and that does not seem right.

Like I said Lundqvist has played well for two years but as of yet he doesn´t deserve to hold Richters jockstrap when it comes to career achievements in the NHL.

Guess I love Mikey too much and would do anything to see him back between the pipes for the playoff run.
I loved Richter, too. But Richter and Lundqvist are two completely different types of players. Richter was sort of quiet and low-key, and there were times when his contributions were overshadowed by bigger personalities that were on the team. Lundqvist is still very young, and he seems so excited to be in NY that when he plays well you can't help but notice him and give him his props. He's a lot more passionate on the surface than Richter was. Different personalities evoke different reactions from the fans. Plus, you've got to admit that King Henrik is a HUGE part of the reason we've managed to turn things around. If it wasn't for his effort, there would have been several games in recent memory where the scoreboard would have been too painful to look at.

All Hail Henrik!

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 09:09 AM
WheresBarnaby

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 09:27 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post

That's fantastic.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Nich

anybody know where i can get a perconalized henrick weden jersey for a decent price?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:

As much as I love Mike, Lundqvist has already proven to be a better goalie. Is he more accomplished? No, not yet, but he is better.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There's not a single goalie in the world that I would rather have on my team right now. Check that, there's not a single hockey player in the world that I would rather have.

A Sydney Crosby is going to be an all-around phenomenon for years to come, but the masked man in the net is by far the most crucial position on any team, and make no mistake about it -- we have a King in ours.

How we got this lucky with Henrik, I dare not say so as to not risk angering the hockey Gods. Let's just brace ourselves and enjoy the 10-15 years of brilliant, record-breaking goaltending that Henrik Lundqvist is poised to give our NY Rangers.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
westley23j

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
He has too be player of the week, 2 shutouts, has not allowed a first period goal in 8 games, has the highest save percentage in the leauge since febuary, I think.
The King is doing it all!

i love this guy... yes his play has been stellar, the defense in front of him is tight, the team is getting bounces, and young guys are contributing. the team's position is promising, not considering the fact that hank WILL get fatigued. lets just hope they keep up the good defense and all around good play when he is resting on the bench and our injured guys get back. how do you guys think the team's play will be when they DO get healthy?

westley23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:29 AM
dave4

Quote:

I don't know if I agree with this, I remember a LOT of Richter chants that echoed through the building on many a night. Maybe it's because some time has passed since the last chant, and Mike didn't exactly leave on his own terms, but in the early to mid 90's Richter was the MAN, both for the Rangers and for USA.

Remember everyone fawning over him for the breakaway/penalty shot saves on Pavel Bure? Leading Team USA over Canada all by himself in the Canada Cup? 16 victories in Spring 1994?

There was a break-in period until he officially replaced Beezer, but once he did the crowd came to love him.

I think the thing with Hank is that we've been so starved for success of any kind over the last ten years that we were looking for a saviour, and Hank came along and saved us. Our saviour in the 90's was Messier, not Richter, but that's the point...Richter played with a lot of great players on some great teams.

Hank has been forced to play better than Richter had to at a younger age, but he still has to win something before he can be put in Richter's class. Early signs are that he will.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Nich

really, lundqvist is more flashy then mike, hence it brings out more emotion from the fans. really isn't that hard to understand

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
rustycage87

I think the reason it seems that lundqvist is more popular is because richter established himself as the rangers goalie for a long time. after he left, we've been struggling to have that solid guy between the pipes that we could count on for many years to come. Along comes lundqvist who leads us to the playoffs and appears to be doing so in his 2nd season as well. we're all excited to have henrik as our goalie because we know now that he will be our future goalie, and hes having 2 kick-ass first seasons. i dont think the chants and everything will last for his entire career with the rangers, and thats when he'll get to the point that we remember richter being at, where we all just knew he was awesome and always there to make the saves, and we didnt make anything more out of it than that, since we had other positions to worry about. But, go Richter and go Lundqvist!

rustycage87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Isn't there room for both? Nobody will ever replace Richter or ever diminish what he did here. That said, Richter hasn't played in 5 years.

Lundqvist has been brilliant. He's been better in his second season than Richter was, while being asked to do more. He has a chance to be a better goalie than Richter.

Doesn't ever make Richter any less of a Ranger legend.

03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Isn't there room for both? Nobody will ever replace Richter or ever diminish what he did here. That said, Richter hasn't played in 5 years.

Lundqvist has been brilliant. He's been better in his second season than Richter was, while being asked to do more. He has a chance to be a better goalie than Richter.

Great post. No matter what Hank does, Richter's number will hang forever. Hopefully someday Hank's will be up there as well, and he'll have more rings than Richter.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

As much as I love Richter and his play in '94, he was never this good, IMO.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Lundqvist is better than Richter?

I have now heard it all, and dont bring up any stats since they play in two different eras of the NHL, had Richter started for us this year he would be without a doubt in the top 5 of G.A.A and save %.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:

There are room for both but it infuriates me to know end that Lundqvist while having done SO much less than Richter did for us, still for some reason is levels above Mikey in terms of popularity, and yes that irritates the **** out of me.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I just want to know where all of the bandwagon fans are who when Henrik was doing bad they were blamming him for everything and calling him "Henrik Chokeqvist" or whatever...some of our fans of no spine.
Anyway, keep it up Henrik...I wonder if when it's all said and done he'll be remembered as better than Richter. It will be interesting to see.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

Old
03-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I just want to know where all of the bandwagon fans are who when Henrik was doing bad they were blamming him for everything and calling him "Henrik Chokeqvist" or whatever...some of our fans of no spine.
Anyway, keep it up Henrik...I wonder if when it's all said and done he'll be remembered as better than Richter. It will be interesting to see.
To be fair, there was only one person calling him Henrik Chokeqvist, and guess what, that was me.

So dont call any other fans spineless because I have no heard anyone calling him Chokeqvist but me.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Dude that's just wrong. I love Lundqvist, but let's see him play at the level Richter played at for a long time before we declare him to be better than Richter. A Stanley Cup would be nice too.

But I gotta give you one thing...Richter never had to endure Marek Malik playing in front of him!

Old
03-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Dude that's just wrong. I love Lundqvist, but let's see him play at the level Richter played at for a long time before we declare him to be better than Richter. A Stanley Cup would be nice too.
Thank you.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
There are room for both but it infuriates me to know end that Lundqvist while having done SO much less than Richter did for us, still for some reason is levels above Mikey in terms of popularity, and yes that irritates the **** out of me.
Why does this bother you so much? If you love Mike Richter, great. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you not to. Who cares if he's more or less popular than Lundqvist. It can be that Richter was arguably the fourth most popular player on the Cup team (behind Mess, Leetch and Graves). But so what? Richter has his number retired and Graves doesn't.

It's a different time. I'm a HUGE Brian Leetch fan. If Bobby Sanguinetti comes here, plays for 20 years and shatters Leetch's records, I won't make me any less of Leetch fan.

There's room for both. If not, then you should have picked a different team the day Richter retired.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Why does this bother you so much? If you love Mike Richter, great. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you not to. Who cares if he's more or less popular than Lundqvist. It can be that Richter was arguably the fourth most popular player on the Cup team (behind Mess, Leetch and Graves). But so what? Richter has his number retired and Graves doesn't.

It's a different time. I'm a HUGE Brian Leetch fan. If Bobby Sanguinetti comes here, plays for 20 years and shatters Leetch's records, I won't make me any less of Leetch fan.

There's room for both. If not, then you should have picked a different team the day Richter retired.
If Lundqvist does what Richter does and better for as many years as Mikey did it and accomplishes what he did, then I would have no problem with him being more popular than Richter because it would be deserved.

But for example if Sanguinetti comes here and plays great for two years, better than Leetch did for his first two years I would be equally pissed if he was more popular than Brian.

I have watched game 7 versus the Canucks many times and was there even one noticable Mikey chant for example?
No, but in a regular season game versus the Flyers the whole arena is screaming HEN-RIK, thats just wrong.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If Lundqvist does what Richter does and better for as many years as Mikey did it and accomplishes what he did, then I would have no problem with him being more popular than Richter because it would be deserved.

But for example if Sanguinetti comes here and plays great for two years, better than Leetch did for his first two years I would be equally pissed if he was more popular than Brian.
Whoever is current is going to be popular.

It doesn't diminish what players did in the past.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote