HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL Article: Northeast: Canadiens’ kids come through in the clutch

Old
03-21-2007, 10:28 PM
znk

vCash: 500
NHL Article: Northeast: Canadiens’ kids come through in the clutch

I didnt see this posted. I might have missed it. If so...sorry.

Northeast: Bob Gainey's faith in his team is paying off.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=290822

I didnt read it yet...but looks like a good read.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
“The kid has potential,” Gorges said. “He has the confidence and calmness needed at this level.”
Nice article. Thanks.

Gotta kick out of 23 yr old Gorges, calling 21 yr old Halak "the kid".

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Nice article. Thanks.

Gotta kick out of 23 yr old Gorges, calling 21 yr old Halak "the kid".
Some people just say 'the kid' all the time.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Some people just say 'the kid' all the time.
Ah....it's an "ism". Cool, didn't know that.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Penalty Killer

Hey, Kosty, Lats, Laps and Halsy are making Bob look smart. Instead of dealing one of them or any of our other good prospects for a rental, he stuck with the kids. The Isles and Leafs, who did make deals, are still stuck in the same quagmire we are. He didn't trade Shelly, and we're still in the hunt (not to mention the rumours that Souray's going to resign).

Even if we barely squeek into the playoffs after beating the Leafs in Game 82, all is good. Playoff revenue and experience is good for the team and watching the Habs in the playoffs makes my spring, even if we have little chance at a Cup.

Here's hoping it all falls together.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:53 PM
ToysInTheAttic

"The Kid Line": Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Higgins. I like that nickname .

Quote:
The “kid line” as they are known in Montreal, haven’t been the only youngsters playing pivotal roles though, as the Canadiens are getting solid minutes from a core of nine players all 25 or under. In addition to Plekanec, Higgins and Kostitsyn, rookies Guillaume Latendresse, 19, Maxim Lapierre, 21 and goaltender Jaroslav Halak, 21, have all contributed to Montreal staying in the hunt. Halek is 2-0 in his last two games, including a 1-0 shutout over Boston Tuesday night and is starting to gain the confidence of his teammates
Quote:
So while Canadiens fans remain nervous that their team could miss the playoffs this season, should they have faith that the team is still headed in the right direction?

“I think so and they should be confident we can make it right now,” Streit said. “We have a good young group here that’s mixed in well with the veterans and given us a chance.”
IMO Bob Gainey did the right thing this year by not trading any of the young prospects for a quick fix. This team is looking really good for the future.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
We have many many more coming.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Russeltown

Funny, 3 weeks ago everybody was right and was saying that Gainey isn't bright, that he should be fired, that Carbo isn't good enough.... ... Emotive fans? No way!

Some of us are worse than a teenage drama queen.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Penalty Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
No kidding. I've proudly kept my sig the same for the last 2 months, even through all the deadline drama.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Habs

Quote:
Funny, 3 weeks ago everybody was right and was saying that Gainey isn't bright, that he should be fired, that Carbo isn't good enough.... ... Emotive fans? No way!

If it were not for the heroic play of Halak, the season would have been over last week. Nobody expected him to stand on his head, and for Aebischer to be such an enormous flop.

I'm not sure how Gainey is getting any credit out of this two game winning streak. His inability to fill the clubs holes will only be a bigger challenge next season.

Clearly, the Habs will need a lot of help to make the post season. More importantly, they need the Islanders, Rangers and Carolina to go into an enormous tailspin. If this was Bob's plan, than I'm not sure how wonderful it is.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 05:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
More kids on the farm that'll be NHL ready soon.. Grabovski, O'Byrne, Chipchura, D'Agostini, Ferland and Milroy.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:34 AM
Dark4ng3l

Yeah we have so many young guys that there is no room on the team for them... Maybe we could trade a unch of em for a top line center?

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

let's hold on before breaking out the "i told you so's" eh...
Of course some people reacted harsher than others at the deadline, but either way the team isn't exactly locked into a playoff spot.

I, like others, felt that the mistake by gainey was not that he didnt risk selling the farm for a one year run, but that he made a move in one direction and then sat still, like a deer in headlights, and didn't make the most of a pretty crazy market.

On the other hand, had he could have made a move or two like Nonis did -Smolinski and Sopel for a few picks- without selling off the future, at least we wouldn't be clinging to a prayer that our rookies can carry us to the playoffs.

If we make the playoffs AND Souray and Markov resign (at a reasonable amount), then great, but if we don't make the playoffs and one or both of those guys are gone for nothing, he'll look pretty darn stupid and many people will be calling for his head.

In the meantime, why don't we all put the rally caps on, clasp arms, and pray that our rookies can pull off a minor miracle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
No kidding. I've proudly kept my sig the same for the last 2 months, even through all the deadline drama.
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
More kids on the farm that'll be NHL ready soon.. Grabovski, O'Byrne, Chipchura, D'Agostini, Ferland and Milroy.
starting to create a bit of a problem though, isnt it? need to find room for everyone and yet can't really ice an NHL team with 10+ forwards under 25 (higgins, kots, lats, pleks, perez, lapierre, that's a lot as it is no - at least given that none of them are named crosby/malkin/kopitar...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
Yeah we have so many young guys that there is no room on the team for them... Maybe we could trade a unch of em for a top line center?
we can only dream...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:47 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
The more young guys are on the team the more cap space we will have.

Old
03-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The more young guys are on the team the more cap space we will have.
funny thing is that here we are in a war to get into the playoffs, and we are icing 4 rookies (kots, lats, lapierre, halak) and 4 second year players (higgins, pleks, gorges, streit... with a 5th, perez, injured)...

8-9 young guys in the lineup... I guess your right as far as Gillete saving some cash this year, but as far as MAKING SURE the team is competitive, seems a little risky imo.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:26 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
funny thing is that here we are in a war to get into the playoffs, and we are icing 4 rookies (kots, lats, lapierre, halak) and 4 second year players (higgins, pleks, gorges, streit... with a 5th, perez, injured)...

8-9 young guys in the lineup... I guess your right as far as Gillete saving some cash this year, but as far as MAKING SURE the team is competitive, seems a little risky imo.
He's not saving money this year.... the team is at 42.5 million on a possible 44.