Old
03-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

vCash: 500
Should Jacobs Sell?

http://www.boston.com/partners/world...ontinuous=true

By KPD.
(Apologies if this has already been posted but I looked & I didn't see it)

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
http://www.boston.com/partners/world...ontinuous=true

By KPD.
(Apologies if this has already been posted but I looked & I didn't see it)

Anyone provide a synopsis of this. I always find JJ should sell stuff fascinating..

No plug in's at work

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:21 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

I have video...but no sound...***?

As fascinating as Hub is...I am not going to sit here and try to read lips for four minutes...

ps Is it just me or does it seem as if Jackie M can barely contain a nearly irresistable urge to jump Hub on camera?

pss I never realized Hub was such a "hand-talker"...

Last edited by GloryDaze4877: 03-22-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: being a smartass
GloryDaze4877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Bri

He was asked if he were the head honcho, what would he do?

He said, "If I were JJ, I'd sell. I don't know if it's bad mojo, bad karma or what, but it's been 30 years and it ain't working." He went on to say things like they've spent to the cap, made a complete turnover and nothing to show for it...so, sell.

He added his idea at the end that was discussed in the thread he started, too.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
Basically said they should sell. Said it's carma, 'mojo' and they should just sell after over 30 years of failure.

He said they should disown them.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
gorskic

Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Anyone provide a synopsis of this. I always find JJ should sell stuff fascinating..

No plug in's at work
Hub's point was that basically since they have turfed most of the players, the coaches, and brought in a new GM from outside the organization and they're still getting the same anemic "I don't care" kind of result, then the only thing remaining for Jacobs to do after 30+ years is to disown the team. He's only come to this point recently.

FWIW, I tend to agree. What the Bruins need the most is a whole new culture. Chiarelli talked about it when he was hired but hasn't delivered it. Sure, there has been some improvement. For instance, we haven't yet seen the kind of intensely personal, in-the-media, vendetta-like contract squabbles that Harry was so famous for. But changing a culture like this is an incredible challenge, particularly one that's been entrenched for 30+ years. To do that without changing the person who is responsible for setting the tone for the entire organization (JJ) is really, IMO, impossible.

(We'll leave aside the notion that the media and public won't really give the organization a 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th chance without actually changing owners, unlike the rest of Boston's sports teams. Boston fans have shown that they will tolerate rebuilding and such under the context of a new ownership group...just look at the C's and what effect Bob Kraft had purchasing the Pats even if he did make some mistakes to start out with.)

gorskic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
tugnutt-puppa-peca

Why would he want to sell? Just to see them win?

Jacobs is a business man and the Bruins (and concession company Sportservice) are a cashcow.

It doesnt make any sense, from a business perspective, to sell.

The only way he'd sell is if he was losing money. And as long as people keep buying tickets, beer and jerseys he's going to stick around.

tugnutt-puppa-peca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Good stuff KPD

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Smerri

Please sell the team...please!

KPD saying the peices don't fit, unenergetic team, Chia + Lewis possibly not the best for the job.

Great stuff!

Last edited by Smerri: 03-22-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Smerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Would've made sense before the cap era; however does it make much difference now? I mean, ticket prices are high...but if the product is good, fans will come.

03-22-2007, 11:16 AM
tugnutt-puppa-peca

Is it unprecedented for an owner to sell a team, building and concession company? I dont know much about teams being sold.

I know that when the Celtics were sold, all the new owners got were the team.

And when the Red Sox were sold, the new owners got the team and park. The concession company was independent of the team.

Has it ever happened before?

tugnutt-puppa-peca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Jacobs has a pretty bad reputation among fans and most likely players. It's widely believed that he cares more about making an extra penny from hot dog sales than he is fielding a competitive hockey team...or winning a championship (despite his public address last season). It's about damn time he sold the team, but frankly, I don't even think he's considering it. His son will likely run the team when he's gone so the Boston Bruins will likely remain a Jacobs family asset for years to come

CombatOnContact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Boston Bruno

Thanks to everyone who helped me out..

Interesting thoughts..

Maybe the stigma of the past if reigning in on the bruins.

Walk aways, bags in the hallways, high ticket and concession prices..

It all formed a giant ball of failure for the bruins?

BUT - before Jacobs and Before Orr - the bruins were not exactly "world beaters".

Back in the original 6, Boston was a pretty afterthought organization.

Perhaps its just the cycle for the b's..

If Jacobs DID sell the team, it would probably take 4 years to hammer out the details - and it would require a couple cargo ships of cake..

Old
03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugnutt-puppa-peca View Post
Is it unprecedented for an owner to sell a team, building and concession company? I dont know much about teams being sold.

I know that when the Celtics were sold, all the new owners got were the team.

And when the Red Sox were sold, the new owners got the team and park. The concession company was independent of the team.

Has it ever happened before?
The sale of the Bruins would not mean the sale of Delaware North concessions. Seperate entities that happen to be owned by the same person.

Also - Sox ownership "leases" concession rights to Aramark and the Sox get a check for doing so. No different than TV or radio rights.. It went through a negotiation process with mulitiple companys.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerri View Post
Please sell the team...please!

KPD saying the peices don't fit, unenergetic team, Chia + Lewis possibly not the best for the job.

Great stuff!
Maybe I am misinterpreting your comment, but why is it "great stuff"? It's actually horrible stuff.

And while I know that Hub needs to pump up ratings when he make his TV appearances...I think it is WAY too early to say that PC was not the best for the job after less than 1 year.

The last thing the B's need is MORE instability.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
bruinforstanley

Quote:

BUT - before Jacobs and Before Orr - the bruins were not exactly "world beaters".

Back in the original 6, Boston was a pretty afterthought organization.
I agree to a point.

The original six era was pretty much an afterthought for each of the american teams. However, it also laid the foundation for hockey in the US. It had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

With that said, we all know how it turned out. Hockey became extremely popular in the markets it started out in, even though those teams weren't exactly dominating, and laid the groundwork for expansion.

Also, the B's did win a Stanley Cup in 29, 39, 41, 70, & 72. The longest drought between cups was 29 years. Take note that ALL these cups came before Jacobs bought the team in 1974 (or 1975?...I can't remember).

We are now 32-33 years into Jacobs' ownership and we have ZERO cups. Yet, he's a billionaire.

There's no way he sells.

bruinforstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Maybe I am misinterpreting your comment, but why is it "great stuff"? It's actually horrible stuff.

And while I know that Hub needs to pump up ratings when he make his TV appearances...I think it is WAY too early to say that PC was not the best for the job after less than 1 year.

But, at the cost of ridding the team of the stigma which is jacobs?

Jacobs selling doesnt mean Chia has to be fired..

It is more than likely a side effect because the new people would probably want their own GM, but who knows..

I think the bruins as a whole have become far to politically correct and sterile for the enviroment they are in.

People of boston want tough hockey - and to do this is you need to get players who play a tough game. No Donovans and god bless Tenkrats - but Laraques, Nash's, Averys..

It would go a much longer way to bend to the actually demands in the supply and demand function than to put another uniform out for us to buy.

Old
03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinforstanley View Post
I agree to a point.

Also, the B's did win a Stanley Cup in 29, 39, 41, 70, & 72. The longest drought between cups was 29 years. Take note that ALL these cups came before Jacobs bought the team in 1974 (or 1975?...I can't remember).

We are now 32-33 years into Jacobs' ownership and we have ZERO cups. Yet, he's a billionaire.

There's no way he sells.

Optimist side? Jacobs is due to win one under his ownership.

Negative side? Jacobs might take another 20 before he gets it together.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Smerri

Quote:

I don't have a problem with Chia, however

This team sucks and is boring to watch. Their is no flow, chemistry, connections, Lewis doesn't fit, so I think it's great that someone who is a respected member of the press says these things.

Smerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskic View Post
FWIW, I tend to agree. What the Bruins need the most is a whole new culture. Chiarelli talked about it when he was hired but hasn't delivered it. Sure, there has been some improvement. For instance, we haven't yet seen the kind of intensely personal, in-the-media, vendetta-like contract squabbles that Harry was so famous for. But changing a culture like this is an incredible challenge, particularly one that's been entrenched for 30+ years. To do that without changing the person who is responsible for setting the tone for the entire organization (JJ) is really, IMO, impossible.

(We'll leave aside the notion that the media and public won't really give the organization a 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th chance without actually changing owners, unlike the rest of Boston's sports teams. Boston fans have shown that they will tolerate rebuilding and such under the context of a new ownership group...just look at the C's and what effect Bob Kraft had purchasing the Pats even if he did make some mistakes to start out with.)
I disagree with KPD's position. The B's have had their culture change -- Sinden is partially retired and Charlie J has effectively taken his place. The roster change, the attitude and the culture haven't even had a single season yet. I don't think it's fair to say "30+ years of futility" and include Chiarelli's tenure as part of the same thing.

FWIW a new owner brought a world series championship to the Red Sox. Meanwhile a new owner gutted the Canadiens trying to lower their operating costs (roster salary) and hoping the fans would still pour through the doors. Anyone remember Victor Kiam's tenure as Patriots owner? All I can remember was sexual harrassment of a female reporter and Kiam's calling her a classic b****. Extreme case but not every ownership change is a good one.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
But, at the cost of ridding the team of the stigma which is jacobs?

Jacobs selling doesnt mean Chia has to be fired..

It is more than likely a side effect because the new people would probably want their own GM, but who knows..

I think the bruins as a whole have become far to politically correct and sterile for the enviroment they are in.

People of boston want tough hockey - and to do this is you need to get players who play a tough game. No Donovans and god bless Tenkrats - but Laraques, Nash's, Averys..

It would go a much longer way to bend to the actually demands in the supply and demand function than to put another uniform out for us to buy.
PC may look like "Mr Politically Correct", but if you listen to some of his comments throughout the season, I think he is well aware that the B's are lacking in grit and toughness. I don't think there was anybody out there last summer that excited them.

I do not think that PC is going to "goon it up", but I do think he will bring in more guys that play with an edge (like Ference, Ward) and hopefully a real "instigator" like Avery. I would love for the B's to grab a heavyweight that can actually play, but those guys are few nad far between. (We will probably have to wait for Lucic for that?)

I would love to see a local guy (like Kraft) buy the B's, but I honestly don't think that with the cap in place, Jacobs is a detriment to this team.

ps Is that Tito in your avatar after the Liddell match??

Old
03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerri View Post
I don't have a problem with Chia, however

This team sucks and is boring to watch. Their is no flow, chemistry, connections, Lewis doesn't fit, so I think it's great that someone who is a respected member of the press says these things.
Respected? Did you say respected? j/k

I am sure that you can find "respected" members of the media that would say they think PC is the right guy for the job as well. Personally, I think the post-MOC B's were a mess, and that it is going to take more than one year to rebuild them.

I cannot imagine that PC, as a former player, and fan of the game, finds the B's play any more entertaining than you do. IMO, it would be the worst thing that could happen to the B's right now if yet another GM and coaching change were made by whomever the owners were.

BTW, there is no way JJ sells the team.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

I hope he sells.

Roman Abramovich anyone?

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
I hope he sells.

Roman Abramovich anyone?

A fun thought, given the fact that the Habs' owner just bought into Liverpool. Investment in the EPL is in the news these days as the Sky Sports money balloons next season. Of course, unlike Euro soccer, the NHL has spending limits. I believe Abramovich has sunk almost a half a billion pounds into Chelsea. Shevchenko alone cost 34 million. Perhaps the best thing about an oligarch buying the Bruins would be getting the team out of Jacob's shadow and at the same time keeping fiscally fit as a Garden tenant.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Beez

Quote:
Respected? Did you say respected? j/k

I am sure that you can find "respected" members of the media that would say they think PC is the right guy for the job as well. Personally, I think the post-MOC B's were a mess, and that it is going to take more than one year to rebuild them.

I cannot imagine that PC, as a former player, and fan of the game, finds the B's play any more entertaining than you do.
No, no -- you don't understand. Chiarelli went to Harvard (HAAAAHHH-VID!), and therefore he's far too uppity, hoity-toity and whatnot to understand the NHL. All he wants is to see his team play a nice, gentlemanly game (win or lose), and then meet up with the opposing team for a hot toddy, some prawn sandwiches and stimulating discussion about Proust and Kant after the game.

(It's frightening to think that there are posters here -- hello, Don Cherry! -- who just read that paragraph and nodded knowingly, oblivious to the sarcasm.)

As for Abramovich, what good would that do? He couldn't spend any more than the Blue Jackets or Oilers do, and this franchise already has enough problems without getting involved with the Russian underworld.

Beez is offline   Reply With Quote