HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Giannone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
  #1
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southern Oracle
Posts: 6,461
vCash: 500
John Giannone

Did anyone else want to jump through the TV and punch him in the face last night?

I can't deal with people like that saying that fighting has no place in hockey.

I CAN'T STAND Giannone.

I was wondering what everyone else was thinking when he started his BS rant.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
  #2
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Did anyone else want to jump through the TV and punch him in the face last night?

I can't deal with people like that saying that fighting has no place in hockey.

I CAN'T STAND Giannone.

I was wondering what everyone else was thinking when he started his BS rant.
You know where i stand, am glad he wasn't afraid to state his opinion, regardless if you agree or disagree.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
  #3
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southern Oracle
Posts: 6,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You know where i stand, am glad he wasn't afraid to state his opinion, regardless if you agree or disagree.
I'm going to assume you're anti-fighting?

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:08 PM
  #4
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I'm going to assume you're anti-fighting?
If I have to chose, I go with talent over fights.

When i was younger i liked to scrap too, but eventually you start to realize the dangers in promoting violence in sport.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
  #5
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southern Oracle
Posts: 6,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If I have to chose, I go with talent over fights.

When i was younger i liked to scrap too, but eventually you start to realize the dangers in promoting violence in sport.
I see your point, but I'd rather my kids watch hockey where he athletes are men with class.

Football, Basketball are filled with ghetto criminals, and Baseball players cheat.

I'll take talent & fights. I LOVE watching Rangers hockey right now. They can score, play D, play goal, and knock your A&# out!!!!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
  #6
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,687
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I didn't hear his rant, but I still don't like Giannone. He's just weird. MSG features a lot of flaky dudes. Trautwig, Crispino, Fischler, that young guy Horowitz who does that late-night show. I just find the whole group to be a little strange.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
  #7
RangerSteve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Country: United States
Posts: 638
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Fighting has its place in the game. Illegal stickwork on the other hand doesn't. I played in a summer league out in Jersey against that clown. I can tell you right now his opinions suck just as much as his skating!

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
  #8
bleedblue94
Registered User
 
bleedblue94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Fighting has its place in the game. Illegal stickwork on the other hand doesn't. I played in a summer league out in Jersey against that clown. I can tell you right now his opinions suck just as much as his skating!

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
  #9
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Yea, Giannone was getting on my nerves last night. If he was gonna express his anti-fighting opinion, there atleast should have been a counter point from someone else.

Also, to add...Sam made me crakc up when he was going off on how fighting is terrible and not entertaining. It's funny because he announces boxing. Kinda hypocritical Sam? haha

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
  #10
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Yea, Giannone was getting on my nerves last night. If he was gonna express his anti-fighting opinion, there atleast should have been a counter point from someone else.

Also, to add...Sam made me crakc up when he was going off on how fighting is terrible and not entertaining. It's funny because he announces boxing. Kinda hypocritical Sam? haha
Boxing and fighting in hockey are actually two different things all together. Thats one of the problems, some people can't see that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
  #11
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
So whats you're opinion? Did the fight actually curb Flyers like Eager from taking liberties against the Rangers? Seems like they didn't even flinch to me....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
  #12
gaels22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
eager had what, three more hits during the game.

hatcher and gauthier who were running the rangers all last game did not lay one big body check

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
  #13
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
eager had what, three more hits during the game.

hatcher and gauthier who were running the rangers all last game did not lay one big body check
They couldnt, they were trying to stop an onslaught cause their forwards were a glorified AHL team. Come on man....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
  #14
gaels22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
if anything, gauthier and hatcher would want to run guys the greater the lead we have....

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
  #15
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
if anything, gauthier and hatcher would want to run guys the greater the lead we have....
Why? The flyers have nothing to gain from that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
  #16
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I didn't hear his rant, but I still don't like Giannone. He's just weird. MSG features a lot of flaky dudes. Trautwig, Crispino, Fischler, that young guy Horowitz who does that late-night show. I just find the whole group to be a little strange.
They probably had to cover themselves after Bob Page...

Actually, Al Trautwig expresses his opinions on occasion: I like it when he gets into "Moral Outrage" mode and scolds a player for a classless move, because I feel few commentators will do that.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
  #17
gaels22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Why? The flyers have nothing to gain from that.
did they have anything to gain when fedoruk gave jagr a flying elbow? did we have anything to gain when orr cross checked ovechkin in the face?

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
  #18
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
did they have anything to gain when fedoruk gave jagr a flying elbow? did we have anything to gain when orr cross checked ovechkin in the face?
We're talking about last nights game, you're sighting examples from different points in the season.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
  #19
gaels22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
the point is that guys like gauthier and hatcher and most hockey players have a tremendous sense of pride. when your team is down 5-0 in the third, you would get angry. the only way you can take out your aggression is to physically punish the other team: to send a message saying that you will play them hard to the end. the flyers last game had absolutely no life in them by the 2nd and third period. imo, their winds got taken out of their sails when orr creamed fedoruk.

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
  #20
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
the point is that guys like gauthier and hatcher and most hockey players have a tremendous sense of pride. when your team is down 5-0 in the third, you would get angry. the only way you can take out your aggression is to physically punish the other team: to send a message saying that you will play them hard to the end. the flyers last game had absolutely no life in them by the 2nd and third period. imo, their winds got taken out of their sails when orr creamed fedoruk.
Yeah, tell Girardi that Ben Eager had no wind in his sails.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
  #21
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southern Oracle
Posts: 6,461
vCash: 500
It's really just this simple: Last night was everything about hockey that I love (rangers win, shutout, great goals, great fight). Wrong or right, I LOVE FIGHTING. It IS entertainment. Aren't all sports entertainment? I'm not going to tune in to watch CEO's mulling over M&A proposals....I'm going to watch a tough sport with a lot of talented guys pull off amazing things, and sometimes people get into a scrap.

I love this game!

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:53 PM
  #22
gaels22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, tell Girardi that Ben Eager had no wind in his sails.
yea, one semi hard hit.

what it boils down to is this:
the flyers last game ran us off the ice with their physical play. our stars were getting elbowed all over the ice. we did not have a tough line up in.

last night, with orr, mara, and strudwick in, we were the ones that controlled the boards and the open ice. did you even notice hatcher and gauthier do anything?

i don't see how anyone can dispute that.

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
  #23
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So whats you're opinion? Did the fight actually curb Flyers like Eager from taking liberties against the Rangers? Seems like they didn't even flinch to me....
The game completely quieted down after Orr fought Eager. The fight completely curbed the Flyers energy.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
  #24
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Giannone has done an excellent job all year: his insights and analysis have been consistently right on the money since opening night. I look forward to what he has to say and would love to see and hear more from him. His commentary is just superb.
As for what he said last night, I totally absolutely agree with him. Its time for hockey to ditch this leftover from its stone age past (by the way, I've been a Ranger fan for 45 years). But thats another issue, even if Giannone had come out with a rant supporting fighting, I would still have great respect for him. The man is impressive......

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
  #25
djavan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
yes, the punch was very "entertaining" but there was a part of me that said fedoruk should've given it up a LONG time ago...

please remember that after boogard busted his face the ducks traded him in a ny minute...

when guys like that get punched out it really is over because that act wears thin, and that brings me to my main point...

IT IS TIME TO DO AWAY WITH FIGHTING IN THIS LEAGUE BEFORE SOMEONE GETS SERIOUSLY HURT!

it is still possible to play a physical game w/o relying on fighting as the final answer...

fedoruk could've still tried to hit some of the rangers more talented players, but on this nite they could have also hit him - within the context of the game - and also hit some of the flyers more talented players...

the officiating would be key if fighting were to be abolished, and they'd have to have their acts together...

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.