HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Giannone

Old
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
John Giannone

Did anyone else want to jump through the TV and punch him in the face last night?

I can't deal with people like that saying that fighting has no place in hockey.

I CAN'T STAND Giannone.

I was wondering what everyone else was thinking when he started his BS rant.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Did anyone else want to jump through the TV and punch him in the face last night?

I can't deal with people like that saying that fighting has no place in hockey.

I CAN'T STAND Giannone.

I was wondering what everyone else was thinking when he started his BS rant.
You know where i stand, am glad he wasn't afraid to state his opinion, regardless if you agree or disagree.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:51 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You know where i stand, am glad he wasn't afraid to state his opinion, regardless if you agree or disagree.
I'm going to assume you're anti-fighting?

Old
03-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I'm going to assume you're anti-fighting?
If I have to chose, I go with talent over fights.

When i was younger i liked to scrap too, but eventually you start to realize the dangers in promoting violence in sport.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
If I have to chose, I go with talent over fights.

When i was younger i liked to scrap too, but eventually you start to realize the dangers in promoting violence in sport.
I see your point, but I'd rather my kids watch hockey where he athletes are men with class.

Football, Basketball are filled with ghetto criminals, and Baseball players cheat.

I'll take talent & fights. I LOVE watching Rangers hockey right now. They can score, play D, play goal, and knock your A&# out!!!!

Old
03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I didn't hear his rant, but I still don't like Giannone. He's just weird. MSG features a lot of flaky dudes. Trautwig, Crispino, Fischler, that young guy Horowitz who does that late-night show. I just find the whole group to be a little strange.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Fighting has its place in the game. Illegal stickwork on the other hand doesn't. I played in a summer league out in Jersey against that clown. I can tell you right now his opinions suck just as much as his skating!

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
Fighting has its place in the game. Illegal stickwork on the other hand doesn't. I played in a summer league out in Jersey against that clown. I can tell you right now his opinions suck just as much as his skating!

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Balej20*

Yea, Giannone was getting on my nerves last night. If he was gonna express his anti-fighting opinion, there atleast should have been a counter point from someone else.

Also, to add...Sam made me crakc up when he was going off on how fighting is terrible and not entertaining. It's funny because he announces boxing. Kinda hypocritical Sam? haha

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Yea, Giannone was getting on my nerves last night. If he was gonna express his anti-fighting opinion, there atleast should have been a counter point from someone else.

Also, to add...Sam made me crakc up when he was going off on how fighting is terrible and not entertaining. It's funny because he announces boxing. Kinda hypocritical Sam? haha
Boxing and fighting in hockey are actually two different things all together. Thats one of the problems, some people can't see that.

Old
03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

So whats you're opinion? Did the fight actually curb Flyers like Eager from taking liberties against the Rangers? Seems like they didn't even flinch to me....

Old
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
gaels22

eager had what, three more hits during the game.

hatcher and gauthier who were running the rangers all last game did not lay one big body check

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
eager had what, three more hits during the game.

hatcher and gauthier who were running the rangers all last game did not lay one big body check
They couldnt, they were trying to stop an onslaught cause their forwards were a glorified AHL team. Come on man....

Old
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
gaels22

if anything, gauthier and hatcher would want to run guys the greater the lead we have....

Old
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
if anything, gauthier and hatcher would want to run guys the greater the lead we have....
Why? The flyers have nothing to gain from that.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I didn't hear his rant, but I still don't like Giannone. He's just weird. MSG features a lot of flaky dudes. Trautwig, Crispino, Fischler, that young guy Horowitz who does that late-night show. I just find the whole group to be a little strange.
They probably had to cover themselves after Bob Page...

Actually, Al Trautwig expresses his opinions on occasion: I like it when he gets into "Moral Outrage" mode and scolds a player for a classless move, because I feel few commentators will do that.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
gaels22

Quote:
Why? The flyers have nothing to gain from that.
did they have anything to gain when fedoruk gave jagr a flying elbow? did we have anything to gain when orr cross checked ovechkin in the face?

Old
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
did they have anything to gain when fedoruk gave jagr a flying elbow? did we have anything to gain when orr cross checked ovechkin in the face?
We're talking about last nights game, you're sighting examples from different points in the season.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
gaels22

the point is that guys like gauthier and hatcher and most hockey players have a tremendous sense of pride. when your team is down 5-0 in the third, you would get angry. the only way you can take out your aggression is to physically punish the other team: to send a message saying that you will play them hard to the end. the flyers last game had absolutely no life in them by the 2nd and third period. imo, their winds got taken out of their sails when orr creamed fedoruk.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
the point is that guys like gauthier and hatcher and most hockey players have a tremendous sense of pride. when your team is down 5-0 in the third, you would get angry. the only way you can take out your aggression is to physically punish the other team: to send a message saying that you will play them hard to the end. the flyers last game had absolutely no life in them by the 2nd and third period. imo, their winds got taken out of their sails when orr creamed fedoruk.
Yeah, tell Girardi that Ben Eager had no wind in his sails.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

It's really just this simple: Last night was everything about hockey that I love (rangers win, shutout, great goals, great fight). Wrong or right, I LOVE FIGHTING. It IS entertainment. Aren't all sports entertainment? I'm not going to tune in to watch CEO's mulling over M&A proposals....I'm going to watch a tough sport with a lot of talented guys pull off amazing things, and sometimes people get into a scrap.

I love this game!

Old
03-22-2007, 02:53 PM
gaels22

Quote:
Yeah, tell Girardi that Ben Eager had no wind in his sails.
yea, one semi hard hit.

what it boils down to is this:
the flyers last game ran us off the ice with their physical play. our stars were getting elbowed all over the ice. we did not have a tough line up in.

last night, with orr, mara, and strudwick in, we were the ones that controlled the boards and the open ice. did you even notice hatcher and gauthier do anything?

i don't see how anyone can dispute that.

Old
03-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
So whats you're opinion? Did the fight actually curb Flyers like Eager from taking liberties against the Rangers? Seems like they didn't even flinch to me....
The game completely quieted down after Orr fought Eager. The fight completely curbed the Flyers energy.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
alkurtz

Giannone has done an excellent job all year: his insights and analysis have been consistently right on the money since opening night. I look forward to what he has to say and would love to see and hear more from him. His commentary is just superb.
As for what he said last night, I totally absolutely agree with him. Its time for hockey to ditch this leftover from its stone age past (by the way, I've been a Ranger fan for 45 years). But thats another issue, even if Giannone had come out with a rant supporting fighting, I would still have great respect for him. The man is impressive......

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
djavan

yes, the punch was very "entertaining" but there was a part of me that said fedoruk should've given it up a LONG time ago...

please remember that after boogard busted his face the ducks traded him in a ny minute...

when guys like that get punched out it really is over because that act wears thin, and that brings me to my main point...

IT IS TIME TO DO AWAY WITH FIGHTING IN THIS LEAGUE BEFORE SOMEONE GETS SERIOUSLY HURT!

it is still possible to play a physical game w/o relying on fighting as the final answer...

fedoruk could've still tried to hit some of the rangers more talented players, but on this nite they could have also hit him - within the context of the game - and also hit some of the flyers more talented players...

the officiating would be key if fighting were to be abolished, and they'd have to have their acts together...

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote