HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colorado @ Edmonton 3.23.07 9PM ET

Old
03-25-2007, 02:05 AM
weezman

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to weezman
I find myself in an odd place, in that I am in agreement with ABasin. The lengths of endless patience for some and obsurdly short patience with others around here is hard to understand. It's no coincidence that a few player's ice time was shortened (whilst others' increased) and suddenly the Avs got hot. Suffice to say everyone around here will get their wish and the Avs will go back to where they were prior to the streak once the stars of the defense get their icetime back and those no good defensemen sit.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Drury_Sakic

I am in no way dissing Sauer, he has went from the #7 D man to being really the #2 D man with Clark on the top pair, but I do think that his mistake will haunt him if the Avs miss the playoffs.

I am very pleased with how the D has held together and really come into thier own.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:20 AM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
I am in no way dissing Sauer, he has went from the #7 D man to being really the #2 D man with Clark on the top pair, but I do think that his mistake will haunt him if the Avs miss the playoffs.

I am very pleased with how the D has held together and really come into thier own.
It's in no way directed at you. I think it would be unfair to him and the team, no to mention a mistake, to boil their season down to one game. If there's something to point the finger at as the reason for missing the postseason, it's not this game. Their disappearing act for far too many periods throughout the middle months of the season is directly responsible for missing the post season if they do. Which I really hope they don't if they play like they have these past 10 games (this last game aside). Realistically the streak had to give at some point, and this wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. However, they have to realize they can't afford to let off the gas even a little. All IMO of course. We be cool.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Tico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Respectfully Tico, I'm going to take issue with that statement.

Sauer started playing serious minutes, and PK minutes, on February 27th against Columbus, If I recall correctly. Since then, he's been amongst the Avs' leaders amongst defensemen in IT, and particularly penalty killing IT. The Avs had killed penalties at a crappy pace of 79% prior to that, and are killing penalties at a 83% pace since then.

Now, neither are top-of-the-league type of PK, but it's certainly not worse than it was. Sauer is playing well. Like Clark, he probably doesn't belong on the first pairing (he doesn't have the requisite foot speed), but he's playing better defensively than any other Avs' defenseman right now.

...First off - sorry for the delayed response, and I appreciate your thoughts.
As to the PK improvement - it's entirely possible that Sauer being on the PK is the reason for the improvement, but I don't think he's been the single reason. The PK does play to his strengths - short ice, and big body needed to try to keep the front of the net clear - but the PK has also benefitted from better play by the forwards, a greater sense of urgency to simply get the puck out of the zone rather than trying a transition game, and...all Budaj/all the time. And for the record, I do like Sauer, and think he's a guy worth hanging on to for the right (low) price.

We agree that Sauer doesn't belong on the first pairing, but we disagree that he's playing better defensively than any other Avs D right now. We can get into particulars, but that's a pretty difficult claim to swallow....

Clark can't even cover for his own mistakes. I see it the other way around - Sauer's the one who has to be cognizant of his defensive partners' gaffes.

...Agreed - but that also means that he can't be making them himself at the rate he does. That was my point - that Sauer himself is supposed to be the dependable one, and he's not....

I don't see this. He's a solid 2nd pairing guy.

...And this is where a lot of the rub is. I think Sauer at one point had that sort of upside, and maybe with a lot more patience with him and playing time he could be a #4 somewhere. But it would have to be a #4 in the 'old' NHL, and from what I've seen (even in his days with the Ducks) Sauer has such little footspeed and agility that he's one that would need much better positioning and awareness than he's shown.
It's why he gets deked to the ice at his own blueline, or fails to cover the opposite post when Clark's man goes behind the net. In the former case, he doesn't have the physical skills to recover, so shouldn't be biting on moves that far up ice, and in the latter he's got ALL the physical skills needed to demolish Hemsky...but had himself out of position to make the play....
-AB

Last edited by Tico: 03-25-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Delineated posts with ... since I quoted them in a retarded fashion.
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 05:53 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezman View Post
I find myself in an odd place, in that I am in agreement with ABasin.
I didn't realize we disagreed that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezman View Post
The lengths of endless patience for some and obsurdly short patience with others around here is hard to understand. It's no coincidence that a few player's ice time was shortened (whilst others' increased) and suddenly the Avs got hot. Suffice to say everyone around here will get their wish and the Avs will go back to where they were prior to the streak once the stars of the defense get their icetime back and those no good defensemen sit.
I completely agree. That will likely happen, and that's too bad.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:19 AM
thebatlab

I'm back from Edmonton after taking in the Oilers-Avs game and had a lot to say. I'll have less to say about the Canucks game as I didn't get home in time to catch it all. But for those interested in the read, the URL is in the sig as usual.

thebatlab is offline   Reply With Quote