HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dawes making big impression

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
NYR469

vCash: 500

By MIKE KOREEN -- Toronto Sun

KITCHENER -- Call Nigel Dawes the little big man.

The smallest man on the 36-player selection camp roster has been doing big things.

The 5-foot-8 Kootenay Ice forward, trying to make a Canadian junior team that will possess plenty of size, scored last night as Canada beat the OUA all-stars 2-0.

"This guy can skate, he's not afraid to go in traffic, he can play the power play and the (penalty kill)," Canada coach Mario Durocher said of Dawes.

"He brings energy and he scores goals. He doesn't have the greatest shot on the team, but this guy puts the puck behind the goal line. We're not going to have 22 big, tall guys. We're going to have different guys. He brings the qualities we're looking for, too."

Hockey Canada officials have stated they are looking for big, talented players, but Dawes is making a strong case to be named to the final roster.

A fifth-round pick in the Western Hockey League and a fifth-round pick by the New York Rangers, Dawes also scored in the final intrasquad game Saturday.

He leads the WHL with 26 goals this season.

"I like trying to prove people wrong," Dawes said. "It (his size) is definitely a knock on me and there is nothing I can really do about it. So far, it hasn't held me back. I like coming in the back door and sneaking in. There's not nearly as much pressure being a fifth-round pick ... It's always good to put up bigger numbers than some higher picks."

Jeff Tambellini also scored for Canada, who got 12 saves in the first half of the game from Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury in his first action at camp. Josh Harding completed the shutout for Canada, while Canada's Cam Ward and Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers each allowed one goal playing for the OUA.

NO WORRIES: Canadian Hockey League scoring leader Sidney Crosby, 16, doesn't have a goal in three games, but he has came close and is setting up his teammates for good chances. He certainly doesn't look out of place.

"As long as the chances are there, that's all you can worry about ... I think I've improved as camp has gone on," he said.

BRIEFLY: Thirty players remained before this morning's cuts ... The first five cuts were made yesterday morning. Gone are Kitchener Rangers defenceman Andre Benoit, Val d'Or goalie Maxime Daigneault, Cape Breton forward Marc Andre-Bernier, Vancouver forward Adam Courchaine and Brandon forward Eric Fehr.

Old
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
allrevvedup25

I watched the game last night and Dawes was by far the best player. He was skating past everyone and had plenty of chances and also set-up a few playrs as well. HE definitely looks like a diamond in the rough for the Rangers!!

Old
12-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Barnaby

Sounds like a "decent" prospect to me

Old
12-15-2003, 04:26 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Sounds like a "decent" prospect to me
Sure does but I wouldn't call him anything more then a fifth round pick 6 months after the draft.

Old
12-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Sure does but I wouldn't call him anything more then a fifth round pick 6 months after the draft.
I'm sorry I forgot you are a scout. Six months of stellar play may have jumped him to a 4th rounder if the draft was tomorrow. How the heck do you know?

Old
12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
I'm sorry I forgot you are a scout. Six months of stellar play may have jumped him to a 4th rounder if the draft was tomorrow. How the heck do you know?
Don't forget next time. He had a year of stellar play prior to being drafted.

Old
12-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Don't forget next time. He had a year of stellar play prior to being drafted.
How do you know his value hasn't risen? How do you know other players values haven't declined? Maybe he's higher maybe he's not. This is a ridiculous argument.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:16 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
How do you know his value hasn't risen? How do you know other players values haven't declined? Maybe he's higher maybe he's not. This is a ridiculous argument.
I never said they did or didn't. I only stated his value has not risen 6 months after the draft, 3 months into the season. You're right, that was a ridiculous statement.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:40 PM
NYR469

apparantly bob mckenzie not only has dawes making the team but has him penciled on the #1 line

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=36267

Old
12-15-2003, 06:44 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
apparantly bob mckenzie not only has dawes making the team but has him penciled on the #1 line

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=36267
Awesome. I hope he does well at the WJC, that's were Parise, MA Fleury, and to some extent Ruutu really started to rise their stock.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Vranattack

vCash:
Quote:
Awesome. I hope he does well at the WJC, that's were Parise, MA Fleury, and to some extent Ruutu really started to rise their stock.
Parise's stock f rose after the start of his college season last year when he was averaging over 2 points per game. I knew about MA Fleury for a long time now, way longer then most since I did have season tickets to the Eagles during his rookie season. The media only started to hype the kid after the WJC so you are right there. Ruutu is just a big old bust so I don't really care about him, I have called him to be an energy 2nd liner even when he was considered to be the top prospect on the earth.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Sounds like Dawes stock already has begun to rise. Six months ago I doubt he's penciled in on the first line.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:29 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vranattack
Parise's stock f rose after the start of his college season last year when he was averaging over 2 points per game. I knew about MA Fleury for a long time now, way longer then most since I did have season tickets to the Eagles during his rookie season. The media only started to hype the kid after the WJC so you are right there. Ruutu is just a big old bust so I don't really care about him, I have called him to be an energy 2nd liner even when he was considered to be the top prospect on the earth.
I remember Parise being thought of a later selection in the first round which is why I said his stock started to fly after that. He was one of the best players there and the best for the US which he was touted for. As for Ruutu, although he was a top 5 pick, I remember people branding him more of a secondary player, two way guy then one of the leagues best all around guys, I think his scoring there helped his hype go up.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:30 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Sounds like Dawes stock already has begun to rise. Six months ago I doubt he's penciled in on the first line.
I agree.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Vranattack

vCash:
Quote:
I remember Parise being thought of a later selection in the first round which is why I said his stock started to fly after that. He was one of the best players there and the best for the US which he was touted for. As for Ruutu, although he was a top 5 pick, I remember people branding him more of a secondary player, two way guy then one of the leagues best all around guys, I think his scoring there helped his hype go up.
Your right, Parise was rated a late first rounder at the start of the year but by the time it was christmas most rankings had him in the mid teens. The WJC performence was good, I seen 3 games live and 1 on tv. I thought it could have been better, I thought he racked most of his points up vs junkey teams and didn't play well vs Russia. Anyway I agree on Ruutu but most on this site seemed to think he was a 1st line offensive weapon where I thought he would get 50 - 60 points, play good defense and hit everything.

Closed Thread