HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ulanov joins the Roadrunners

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 06:57 AM
creative giant*

vCash: 500
Ulanov joins the Roadrunners

According to the TEAM 1260 he's going to start skating with the 'Runners today and is on a 25 game tryout. No idea if this is a pre-cursor to an NHL contract, but y'all can speculate about that.

Also, Doug Gilmour will probably be skating with the 'Runners as well, that's more for a publicity stunt I guess.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:04 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
According to the TEAM 1260 he's going to start skating with the 'Runners today and is on a 25 game tryout. No idea if this is a pre-cursor to an NHL contract, but y'all can speculate about that.

Also, Doug Gilmour will probably be skating with the 'Runners as well, that's more for a publicity stunt I guess.

Never hurts to have some depth in the organization. He's a warrior. At one time he was a really good #5/6. Now??

Old
12-15-2003, 07:06 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace

Interesting...I think I had read in the Journal on Sunday (Matheson's column?) that Ulanov's agent was shopping him around. Some talk about the Oilers, who might want him if he's cheap enough. He could be a better guy to have around than, say, Ferguson, if Ulanov plays more like he did his last regular season here...

Good to see some depth in the organization, and veteran depth at that.

Hadn't heard anything about Gilmour, though - is he a good friend of the RR's owner???

Bart

Old
12-15-2003, 07:18 AM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

Ulanov played very well for us during his year and a half as an Oiler, which is why other teams were willing to sign him to a bigger contract when he left. If the Oilers coaching staff think that they can bring the old Ulanov back, by all means, sign him. Hopefully not at the expense of Bergeron and Semenov though. :mad: Damn that MacT

Old
12-15-2003, 07:30 AM
creative giant*

Regarding the Gilmour tidbit; the TEAM interviewed Coach Geoff Ward and he mentioned that Gilmour will only be skating with the team for now. Most likely to test his knee that was injured last year, no mention of him playing any games with the Roadrunners.

Also, they asked him if the Ulanov signing was the first step in him joining the Oil, and Ward responded by saying that it's up to Igor and it's only a tryout basis right now.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:46 AM
FacelessButcher

Signing Ulanov was one of my top 10 predictions

Old
12-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Hemsky4PM

Gilmour coming back. I think I'm going to be sick. How many fairwell tributes are the Leafs going to have to make to this guy??? He's a great player, but come on. He's hockey's answer to Michael Jordan when it comes to retirements. He's practically a pro boxer!!!!

Old
12-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Would Comrie be allowed to sign a minor-eague try-out with an AHL team just to get in shape? Or because he's restricted, he is not allowed?

Old
12-15-2003, 10:21 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I was/am a REAL big fan of Ulanov and was disapointed when he signed with the Rangers. I think he'd be a perfect type guy to play with Semenov - show him the ropes and such. Anybody think that this Ulanov thing could be a prelude to a deal that sees Smith gone? It makes sense to me as I think Ulanov is the same idea of a hockey player although alot more reckless. I'd be thrilled to see his recklessness on our PK throwing himself infront of all kinds of pucks again!!

Old
12-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Seachd

Ulanov was a very good d-man when he was here. I really liked him. But it's obvious he has been going downhill since, and is pretty much at the bottom.

If he's willing to sign for next to nothing (and I don't mean a million bucks - I literally mean like $400-500K), then by all means get him. I guess we'll see how this tryout goes.

Old
12-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I was/am a REAL big fan of Ulanov and was disapointed when he signed with the Rangers. I think he'd be a perfect type guy to play with Semenov - show him the ropes and such. Anybody think that this Ulanov thing could be a prelude to a deal that sees Smith gone? It makes sense to me as I think Ulanov is the same idea of a hockey player although alot more reckless. I'd be thrilled to see his recklessness on our PK throwing himself infront of all kinds of pucks again!!
I don't have such high hopes, maybe Ulanov would be a replacement for Ferguson...

Old
12-15-2003, 01:25 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
From the looks of it, it appears that this signing has nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers.

I guess because the runners are independantly owned and operated, they have a deal where they can make personel call such as this.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
Would Comrie be allowed to sign a minor-eague try-out with an AHL team just to get in shape? Or because he's restricted, he is not allowed?
I don't think he could do anything with the AHL because they have an agreement with the NHL which probably covers players rights. I would assume that the only AHL team Comrie could go to is Toronto, since the Oilers hold his rights, and they wouldn't send him there. He could sign with another league, but then he probably would have to play out the year there - I know that is the case in European leagues, anyway.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Oi'll say!

Anyone know Ulanov's age right now?

He was doing great here until late in his last season. He came back from an injury to his foot I believe and then struggled mightily in the playoffs.

He did poorly with the Rag$ after that, but then who doesn't?

Old
12-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Digger12

He turned 34 a couple of months ago.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Oi'll say!

I don't think that a comeback is out of the question if he's only turned 34 recently.

It would be kind of neat to see the Oilers have a veteran team all of a sudden after so many years of kids kids kids! We'd have 6 guys aged 30 or over.

Cross, Staios, Oates, Smith, Ferguson, Ulanov

Old
12-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Tidus

Ulanov left a sour taste in my mouth with his dreadful playoff preformance right before he left the Oilers. He was simply terrible, and if he hasn't regained his form of his last regular season with the Oilers then I don't see this signing making an impact on the big club. And from the looks of it, he's been just as awful since he left.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
Ulanov left a sour taste in my mouth with his dreadful playoff preformance right before he left the Oilers. He was simply terrible, and if he hasn't regained his form of his last regular season with the Oilers then I don't see this signing making an impact on the big club. And from the looks of it, he's been just as awful since he left.
Yah, never did like him, I hope he's just RR depth.

Closed Thread